Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighter

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:How do we even know former Irem staff worked on Last Resort? I do know some of the Last Resort staff worked on the KOF series later on.

It's kind of like with Pulstar. People have always said that game was done by former Irem staff, but I haven't seen credits or interviews that actually corroborate. Unlike with Nazca where we know without question Irem staff like Akio worked on games such as R-Type and In the Hunt before Metal Slug.
I've seen it said anecdotally that Last Resort and Top Hunter were the Neo games featuring ex-IREM staff (prior to Nazca's larger exodus and Metal Slug / BTG), and that Pulstar categorically didn't involve anyone from the company. Would need to chase up sources to confirm but it's something at least.

Can tell the Last Resort / KOF94 connection at a glance, that Akira Neo Tokyo skyline and those inimitably vicious flame blast effects. :mrgreen:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Rastan78 wrote: It's kind of like with Pulstar. People have always said that game was done by former Irem staff, but I haven't seen credits or interviews that actually corroborate. Unlike with Nazca where we know without question Irem staff like Akio worked on games such as R-Type and In the Hunt before Metal Slug.
I think the Pulstar rumor died out many years ago. It was probably just the most logical result from such an R-Type'esque game published by SNK who at the time were known to host ex-Irem staff.
But I'm pretty sure the game is clearly credited by Aicom, who had their own history of fairly decent games.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

To make matters more confusing, the PCE/TG-16 version of Buster Bros/Pomping World, which has mostly Capcom staff in the credits, doesn't credit Mitchell at all (both US and JP versions). US version actually gives the trademark AND copyright credit to Capcom. Interesting that Hudson published it in both US and Japan since they made a pre-cursor to Pang (Cannon Ball) for MSX.

Edit: TM and copyright is probably for the name Buster Bros. I don't think Mitchell ever used that name for versions they published.
Last edited by BrianC on Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Some magazines really sold the Pulstar Irem connection back in the day, so i can see how the rumor stuck around for a while. Check this scan:
Spoiler
I can see how "R-Type designers unshackled from Irem form their own independent company to create a spiritual heir to R-Type" makes a better sound bite than "random company makes an R-Type clone that happens to be a great game in its own right."

Funny thing is Aicom already existed for years before the development of Pulstar.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah, mid-90s EDGE/Next Generation (depending on which side of the pond you were on... still got copies of both). They regularly wrote some total nonsense back then - as did all the mags, only with significantly less po-faced pretense. Dracula XX? How lazy of Konami to port a three year-old PC Engine title! :O All the hacks parroted that old chestnut BITD, but none with such Super Smrt Journalisms Authoriteh™. (the binding and paperstock really are nice, to be fair!)

Have to say, either they'd given their heads a shake or hired better people by the mid-00s; their reviews of DDP:DOJ, Psyvariar 2, Ikaruga, Border Down, Metal Slug 4 and Gradius V were excellently-done, and written with a clear grasp of arcade-styled gaming's innate strengths (it won't waste your time) and weaknesses (it won't waste your time). Really snapped me out of the AAA-mired funk I'd sleptwalked into. I think at least one of our longstanding members might've written for them around then.

Aicom were always solid performers, indeed, right back to the Famicom. Totsuzen: Machoman and GUN-DEC are strong competitors in the machine's immortal action/platformer forte, putting valuable spins on the staple Rockman and Ninja Ryukenden series. And The Lord of King is a pretty nice coin-op effort, one that'd probably have enjoyed similar acclaim to its PCE counterpart Maykou Densetsu, had it shown up on the SFC. Exactly the sort of formally competent and design-savvy types I'd expect to produce further quality epigones, like Pulstar's R-Type riff. (used all JP titles in this paragraph for that Real EDGE Collector's Special Feel :cool:)
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Okay, but how do we know Aicom didn't take on any ex-Irem staff?
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm loathe to give it 100% credence, but there is this secondhand quote via some French guys, supposedly from an ex-IREM staffer:
The developers deny the popular rumour Irem employees went to work to Aicom (the Viewpoint/Pulstar guys) to make Pulstar. Infact, it’s stated they “didn’t take kindly” to the game and saw it as rip-off made to fill the void of Irem’s death. Top Hunter and Last Resort are the actual Neo Geo games to have been made by former Irem employees.
Not much, but at the same time, more than I've seen to suggest the contrary. All I've heard is "yeee boi is just like Rtype" (tbh so is Viewpoint >_>), plus absolute utter porkies, like our reporter's claim that Aicom was an indie studio set up by ex-IREM staffers in the wake of the latter's closure. (I'm charitably assuming this is what our reporter is gesturing at, re: "their disseminated coin-op division" - as if the higher-ups, in a rare act of corporate beneficence, decided to blow the monster load of arcade expertise under their employ across the industry's collective mug, in fittingly R-Typist Monsters Of Cock fashion :shock: :cool:).
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I just asked the guy that I first read about Irem staff involved in Last Resort, pretty knowledgable with this stuff. He says that it's well known from long ago that at least LR's visuals were the work ex-Irem staffers, and especially Mitsuo Kodama, and that the same people later worked in Top Hunter and KOF '94's graphics. It seems that it's officially revealed on the homepage of Neogeo Heroes - Ultimate Shooting, but he also passes on this article in English (which I already knew):

https://vgdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/1788 ... -resort-to

He says that Aicom's history is a bit convoluted to the point of having existed two different-but-related companies under the same name, and that, while the people who developed Viewpoint and Pulstar for Sammy and SNK probably didn't have much to do with the Aicom that developed previous games under this name, seems quite sure nobody from Irem had a part in those games.

As for the Pang conundrum, he thinks that Capcom likely has the rights to produce and sell home versions forever, as it's probable that it was part of the deal - Capcom staff helped to develop the games for Mitchell and they got the IPs for the home markets where Mitchell had no presence by then. However they'd need Hudson Soft's (today, Konami) approval because the concept is theirs (Cannon Ball, as mentioned), and that's why they're in the copyright of Super Pang Collection, for example.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Ah finally. Here's something definitive with sources showing that Kodama and one other designer on Last Resort had also worked on graphics at Irem.

Looks like the game he contributed most to at Irem was Air Duel, and he even did one background on Undercover Cops. Enough to come under the influence of Akio. It seems like almost anyone who worked with Akio was inspired by his approach.
miwa

Post by miwa »

Looks like this will be receiving a physical release?

https://www.play-asia.com/capcom-arcade ... /13/70fi5d
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

miwa wrote:Looks like this will be receiving a physical release?

NFW! Frustrating that we're only getting part 2 tho. Would love to have a cart with Progear and Giga Wing on it.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Europe + that placeholder art.... smells of "code in a box" I reckon. The Europe physical release for Capcom Fighting Collection appears to have gone AWOL so Arcade Stadium being more than code in a box would surprise me.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Even if it was an actual cartridge, this might be the rare case where I prefer the digital release over the physical. Simply because I don't want to pay for ~dozen fighting games that I'll never play, but can instead just spend a few bucks each on Side Arms, Black Tiger, Three Wonders, and Eco Fighters.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
JJHLH

Post by JJHLH »

BIL wrote:with a clear grasp of arcade-styled gaming's innate strengths (it won't waste your time) and weaknesses (it won't waste your time). Really snapped me out of the AAA-mired funk I'd sleptwalked into.
This is so well put. It expresses succinctly the greatness of arcade games. They don’t waste your time with meaningless tasks so commonly found in AAA games. . I couldn’t agree more!
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

miwa wrote:Looks like this will be receiving a physical release?

Always take any play asia listing like that with a grain of salt. They throw a lot of stuff like that up that never gets released
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

Individual games on Arcade Stadium were £1.69 each.

Individual games on Arcade 2nd Stadium are £3.29 each.

No wonder Capcom didn't release these new games for the original collection, if it gives them an excuse to double the prices... It also makes the new Capcom Fighting Collection pointless, as half of the games are in both releases.

Screw this bollocks, I'll stick with MAME. 8)
subcons

Post by subcons »

MidnightWolf wrote:Screw this bollocks, I'll stick with MAME. 8)
I’m with you on this 100%. If you can’t make a port better or at least equal to free emulation, it’s hard to get my money—I hate lazy ports. For me though, being able to play these on my Switch in handheld mode from my couch is worth the price bump as long as the performance is on point.
Jonpachi

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium (NSW, Steam): Progear, Giga Wing,

Post by Jonpachi »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Jeneki wrote:This release of Progear uses different difficulty settings than most people are used to. For example, the US version defaults to 4 instead of 2.
Yoshinoya wrote:Difficulty 4 is standard on Japanese Arcades, 2 for US/EU (^ w ^ )/
If the US version is set to 4, it sounds like it's an oversight with how the defaults are configured on this release. As mentioned earlier in this thread, on CPS-2 arcade games, the Japanese version is generally set at 4 and the US version set at 2. For Giga Wing, the difficulty slider doesn't appear to do much if anything, but in Progear, the difficulty slider has a tremendous impact on bullet speeds.

In both Giga Wing and Progear, it appears the difficulty is configured so that the 2 in the US version is close or fairly equivalent to the 4 in the Japanese version (especially if you're scoring well and the game rank cranks up, I can't tell much of a difference if there is one). I suspect it's so that the US version can be cranked up higher overall (+6 compared to +4 in the JP ver). If this release defaults the US version to difficulty 4, then it's actually +2 harder than the JP ver! No wonder it's harder on the "defaults" on this compilation.
I'm curious then if that equates to "Very Easy" in the settings? It goes Easiest, Very Easy, Easy, Medium... If we're going 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, then I guess so? I've been playing on "Easy" which would be "3" and it seems a little easier (mainly enemy health seems lower) than the Japanese defaults of my PCB.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Sima Tuna wrote:I honestly have to wonder how far Capcom can push it until they receive *any* negative feedback.
Considering that even now people still do the "Fuck Capcom" thing and compare them to Konami, uhhh...

In general, mindless hate is so much more common than mindless praise. Naturally, people pretend that only the latter is the issue.
subcons wrote:I’m with you on this 100%. If you can’t make a port better or at least equal to free emulation, it’s hard to get my money—I hate lazy ports.
This isn't actually possible. You cannot compete with free.

The ports are good anyway, this isn't Dotemu garbage. They're also legal, which was the only value to said Dotemu ports. They're also hilariously underpriced, like most video games nowadays. Capcom is right to raise the price by what is essentially pennies at this point. Never mind sales, which contribute further to the underpriced nature.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Despatche wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:I honestly have to wonder how far Capcom can push it until they receive *any* negative feedback.
Considering that even now people still do the "Fuck Capcom" thing and compare them to Konami, uhhh...

In general, mindless hate is so much more common than mindless praise. Naturally, people pretend that only the latter is the issue.
subcons wrote:I’m with you on this 100%. If you can’t make a port better or at least equal to free emulation, it’s hard to get my money—I hate lazy ports.
This isn't actually possible. You cannot compete with free.

The ports are good anyway, this isn't Dotemu garbage. They're also legal, which was the only value to said Dotemu ports. They're also hilariously underpriced, like most video games nowadays. Capcom is right to raise the price by what is essentially pennies at this point. Never mind sales, which contribute further to the underpriced nature.
Well said Despatche. Agree with everything you said. These are being sold at an extremely low price point and it is laughable when somebody is complaining they are too expensive. I'd wager they were never going to buy them in the first place and are finding their flimsy excuse for playing it (illegally) for free despite having a convenient retail version being available.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

you certainly can't compete with free when the emulation, even if based on MAME, has latency or other issues which get in the way of the enjoyment of the game for plenty of people. but it's certainly possible to compete with free with the most obvious example of any M2STG title, where the people who are willing to spend 5000 yen on a single well-done title won't be willing to spend a few dollars on something that isn't as enjoyable as what they already have. I think it's less about the price point, but people just don't want to spend money on something that's significantly worse than what they already have
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

pulsemod wrote:you certainly can't compete with free when the emulation, even if based on MAME, has latency or other issues which get in the way of the enjoyment of the game for plenty of people. but it's certainly possible to compete with free with the most obvious example of any M2STG title, where the people who are willing to spend 5000 yen on a single well-done title won't be willing to spend a few dollars on something that isn't as enjoyable as what they already have. I think it's less about the price point, but people just don't want to spend money on something that's significantly worse than what they already have
True, but the CAS 2 games are pretty much the price of a coffee & less than a beer, so they are not exactly taking the piss. Also, although the latency might not be top tier, it is hardly as bad as the likes of the Cotton2/Boomerang/GF fiasco. So is it truly too expensive for a legal copy of the game so you can play your own emulated version conscious free?

Edit: conscience-free I mean; would be tricky to play conscious-free, ha ha.
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

Samildanach wrote:
pulsemod wrote:you certainly can't compete with free when the emulation, even if based on MAME, has latency or other issues which get in the way of the enjoyment of the game for plenty of people. but it's certainly possible to compete with free with the most obvious example of any M2STG title, where the people who are willing to spend 5000 yen on a single well-done title won't be willing to spend a few dollars on something that isn't as enjoyable as what they already have. I think it's less about the price point, but people just don't want to spend money on something that's significantly worse than what they already have
True, but the CAS 2 games are pretty much the price of a coffee & less than a beer, so they are not exactly taking the piss. Also, although the latency might not be top tier, it is hardly as bad as the likes of the Cotton2/Boomerang/GF fiasco. So is it truly too expensive for a legal copy of the game so you can play your own emulated version conscious free?

Since when did conscious have anything to do with it?

Everybody on this forum probably has a good few hundred pirated ROMs on their PC, and we don't all have sleepless nights thinking "Oh, if only [insert random game company] would re-release all these ROMs so we could legally buy them and feel less guilty about using them."

I don't see people rushing to throw £40 at SEGA for Sonic Origins, or £35 at Capcom for Fighting Collection, so where do you get the stupid idea that people instantly rush to buy every lazy old game that companies endlessly shit out every 5 minutes?

People will never willingly pay for anything that they can get for free, so don't give us all some retarded lecture about morality, because you know it's all baseless horse shit.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

MidnightWolf wrote:
Samildanach wrote:

Since when did conscious have anything to do with it?

Everybody on this forum probably has a good few hundred pirated ROMs on their PC, and we don't all have sleepless nights thinking "Oh, if only [insert random game company] would re-release all these ROMs so we could legally buy them and feel less guilty about using them."

I don't see people rushing to throw £40 at SEGA for Sonic Origins, or £35 at Capcom for Fighting Collection, so where do you get the stupid idea that people instantly rush to buy every lazy old game that companies endlessly shit out every 5 minutes?

People will never willingly pay for anything that they can get for free, so don't give us all some retarded lecture about morality, because you know it's all baseless horse shit.
Well it's clear you and I have very different opinions on this and we won't be convincing each other otherwise any time soon. I do suspect there will be a fair number on this forum who think the CAS 2 individual game price is very reasonable, but perhaps we are better moving on from this subject.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

You know, it isn't even really an issue of free, or of morality.

What subcons originally said - and is an incredibly important point - is that companies have been releasing inferior commercial products for 25-odd years now. At any price, for-profit products damn well ought to perform as well as the shit hobbyists are putting out there on their spare time and, yes, free of charge. It's a matter of principle, and ought to be one of corporate pride. How are these well-funded companies - often the originators of the properties being emulated - put to shame time and time again by random hobbyists?

The fact we still often have the choice of an inferior paid product or nothing at all is testament to how few of us have been willing to put our feet down and demand better. And that's just sad.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

bigbadboaz wrote:How are these well-funded companies - often the originators of the properties being emulated - put to shame time and time again by random hobbyists?
I'm no expert on the subject, but I'm inclined to guess that the former's investors demand that the vast majority of its resources be put into products that will make the most money - which isn't likely to include decades-old arcade ports - and when such ports do get made presumably the team handling them is frequently given the bare minimum of time and manpower to get something out the door with minimal upfront costs. Hobbyists, by contrast, can make up for any disadvantages in technical expertise by taking as long as they want on whatever they want, and collaborating with whomever they want.

This isn't, of course, to say that players shouldn't criticize a company's revisitation of its older catalog when the end result is lacking, and demand better, but I imagine that if the folks assigned to create them insisted on "pride" being the driving force behind the project they'd likely be looking for a different job.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

pulsemod wrote:people just don't want to spend money on something that's significantly worse than what they already have
That's my perspective. My problem isn't so much the price as the lazy reprinting capcom is doing here. I went through all the games in the CAS 2 list and only one of them I'd actually be interested in. Tiger Road. As far as I know, everything else has been reprinted in some other form or is a game I don't care about. I'd be willing to throw in Black Tiger as well, since I think the last reprint there was on ps2. So, okay that's two whole games.

All of the fighting games should never have been put on CAS 2 in the first place, since it's the same shit from the capcom darkstalkers fighting game collection that literally just came out. For the same systems. Probably with the same exact versions of the games, running on the same emulation. There's no point in buying a fighting game on CAS. To whatever extent you can get matches online for any of these games, you'll be getting them on the darkstalkers collection and not here. But I suspect the online modes will be dead even in the darkstalkers collection very soon, because of Fightcade. Fightcade provides a superior product for a superior price and has existed a long time. It has a larger audience and better netcode (probably.)

CAS 2 has almost no shmups on it. 1943 Kai is fine and all, but the best 19xx games were already on CAS1. In fact, all of the good capcom shmups (that capcom is willing to release at all,) are on CAS 1.

Since CAS 2 is a free download, I could envision a scenario where I might download the launcher and pick up Tiger Road for myself. But if I want King of Dragons or Knights of the Round, I'm better off waiting for the capcom beat em up bundle to go on sale. Which it does with regularity. Or I could just emulate, but that goes without saying. My point is that capcom have already provided these games multiple times over to people who want them, and most of the rest of the titles in this collection are not interesting, at least to me. There are some games in CAS 2 that haven't been reprinted since the ps2 collections, so I guess some people might be interested in Three Wonders or whatever. I was underwhelmed by that game and most of the others that I've played which are listed in the CAS 2 library.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

pulsemod wrote:people just don't want to spend money on something that's significantly worse than what they already have
But so few people actually get to say this. You have to understand that Dotemu got all their money and clout by people coming out in droves to buy those shit Neo Geo "ports" and the straight up illegal Raiden Legacy. CAS is so far above and beyond any of that, there is nothing "significantly worse" about any of it, but it's only now that people really try to pull the "waaah stop asking me to pay for games I've been pirating all these years" nonsense. Absolute fucking bullshit from start to finish.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
BIL

Post by BIL »

I dunno Patchy, I've enjoyed many hours saying "Hoo hoo!" and "GAT DAMN" with my Capcom Generation 4 port of Gun.Smoke, which was the basis for my famous STGW commentary and even more acclaimed ST! Painstaking cross-reference with MAME and doujin superplay DVD indicates highly-accurate conversion! Input response as pin-sharp as the golden points on Billy's sheriff's badge! Or the dread shuriken of NINJA, who tends to scurr newbies and enjoys pride of place in my sig.

Comparing PS4 CAS1's 1943 to CG1's, it had an annoying playable-but-noticeable drag. WORSE THAN WHAT I HAD indeed. :o And that was that, oh well. Never patched AFAIK.

I do hope CAS2 sharpened the fuck up to M2/Hamster input response standards. I'll get it anyway for Magic Sword, as it's only the STGs with their innate pinpoint-precise twitch movement where the marginal lag bugs me. Strider and Daimakaimura play fine, albeit no better than my PS1 discs (arguably a bit worse, in the former's case, with PS1 Strider being a meticulous ex-DECO rebuild - fucking Ouroboros MKII and his shitty PCB collision dunking me in the middle of MEIOU's genocide manifesto!).

It's all a bit unfortunate that devs who understand The Hard Gaming is first and foremost a tactile process seem so thin on the ground. I don't give a ONE RAT FUCK how many dumb trophies and goober CRT filters you've stapled onto your emulator front-end. If your input response is muddy, I'm out the door bitch! I do all my ~retro gayming~ (gunshot) on the same beat-to-shit 12in Sharp CRT with red/white cables I used to watch bootleg porno tapes on in highschool! You think I give a fuck? :shock:

I'd sooner stick with the lovably bent PS1 version of Raiden II than a laggy true emulation. Same for DX. I don't do PC emulation, it makes my wiener soft and floppy like cheese, but I'd certainly do that if it came down to it. (this is in the alternate universe where I don't have fuckoff hundreds of superbly-emulated/ported games to get competent at & write about :cool: fousands, if you include console-original stuff! as you should!)

NB it ain't about the money either. I'd happily pay whatever the AAA RRP is for individual ACA-style releases of the games I want from CAS1+2, if they performed comparably. No problem at all. You wouldn't believe the inane shite you end up spending money on when you get old, Patchy! $60USD for hundreds of hours of ~retro gayming~ (chair kick) fun? That ain't SHIT Image
subcons

Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

Post by subcons »

Yeah, for me personally, price isn’t an issue. I’m dropping $70 any time M2 put something out without even thinking about it, even for games I’m not that familiar with or had much interest in before. And because their ports are so goddamn good, I’m finding myself enthralled by titles I likely wouldn’t have paid much attention to otherwise.

The problem comes from companies like City Connection. I refuse to give them my money when their “ports” are laggy and lack the basic features I’ve come to expect from open source emulators. Even if they weren’t overpriced, I still wouldn’t bite.

I don’t think $4 per game is asking too much from CAS2 as long as the performance is on point. If they perform like garbage though, I don’t care if they’re $1 a piece, I’m still going to emulate it for free.