Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Super Joe

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium (NSW eshop): Progear, Giga Wing, 1

Post by Super Joe »

I believe it has, playing commando and 1942 last night, both very smooth.
kwewu

Post by kwewu »

Super Joe wrote:I believe it has, playing commando and 1942 last night, both very smooth.
That's awesome to hear! I'll have to go try it out again soon then.
SPM

Post by SPM »

I don't know if it has been mentioned already, but I just noticed that some of the older games that didn't have a full frame like 1943 are now displayed properly!
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I just bought the Switch version after reading some of the comments here. Feels nice and responsive now! Nice seeing 19XX finally get an official home release.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

BIL wrote:I could really go for kneecapping a motherfucker and splattering his brains on the floor with an enviably perfect belly-to-belly suplex. Haggar a badass but he don't got a briefcase for he food - I get knifed in the back halfway up CRIME BOSS TOWER there, I'm fooked!
You want Kirby then. Suplex their ugly mugs and proceed to stuff your belly with the poor bastards. It is said that Waddle Dee's brain tissue is made up of stars. Gruesome...
Spoiler
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Yep, Switch version checks out. TATE now fits the screen properly and all the stutters seem virtually gone. Why it wasn't like this at launch, who knows..
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Just the typical obsession with making a release date rather than launching a finished product. Nothing to see here.

At least this gives reasonable expectation the PS4 version will get the same treatment..
BIL

Post by BIL »

Searchlike wrote:You want Kirby then. Suplex their ugly mugs and proceed to stuff your belly with the poor bastards. It is said that Waddle Dee's brain tissue is made up of stars. Gruesome...
Tragically, my first Kirby was 64, where he and Waddle Dee are BFFs, so I've never really thought of him as a motherfucker. :oops: Great games indeed, though! GB1's second loop is a model example - new enemies, new arrangements, calculatedly more devious! - and I would know, being 75% done with RE4's "Pro" difficulty, a model example of a shitloop! Bump enemy HP, dump QTE window, job done? Get outta my fuckin face, what do you think this is, FINAL SOLDIER for the NEC PC ENGINE? Image I figured out EZ QTE too, so what woulda been a dogshit/10 ding on a godshit/11 game (it happens Image) is instead kinda amusing! grip R2+X and mash on L1+Square, oh wow thank god

(great game though! DOUGIE-KUN is my BFF! :cool:

Spoiler

DOUGIE IMMA KILL YOU MOTHERFUCKER Image
Spoiler

Dougie, If JFK had danced like that he'd still be alive today Image

Now, as master of tangents - anybody wanna cry? hit the report button bitch HEY WAIT NO STAHP - imma bring it back as always. :cool: RE4 PS4's AIMING IS FUCKED - several years on. Due to 60fps conversion, apparently. Leon's all twitchy, base handgun is shite. Weapons with stocks - much better! Telescopic sights unaffected, phew.

Still, they never bothered to fix it. Soooo, while I hope they stamp out that pesky couple frames' lag, I could see this going either way. Ah well. All emulation is ultimately stopgap. I sure as shit expect it to perform, though. In arcade context a faulty stopgap will see your shit detonated rim from rim, deranging man/machine synergistic response, leaving it for all intents and purposes slacker than a badger's arse. Image
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Not sure if there are any Section Z fans here, but is the difficulty jacked way up in this collection? Playing on mame or mister I can consistently get to the downward scrolling section (around P-R), but in this collection I'm only getting to the upward scrolling section (around K-L). I'm using the same controller and same display for all three.

Some examples: The section E boss consistently dies quickly in mame/mister, but drags on for quite a while in this collection. In the upward scrolling sections, the up/down moving laser cannons appear to take 2 hits instead of 1, almost never dying before they can pass under me (usually they should die before they pass me once). Closer to the section J boss, the wall cannons shoot far more often and in the final stretch there's way more enemies, gets pretty intense here.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
sherbaby

Post by sherbaby »

Jeneki wrote:Not sure if there are any Section Z fans here, but is the difficulty jacked way up in this collection?
Not really a direct answer, but I noticed that in Progear, the default difficulty is set to "4" on both EN and JP versions, while from what I've read elsewhere in the forums, the dip switches for the EN version of Progear in the arcade set the difficulty level to "2" by default. The problem is that the difficulty levels across versions seem to be overall differently calibrated, so "4" on EN is harder than "4" on JP.

The upshot is: even though (reportedly) in Arcade, EN is slightly easier than JP, on Capcom Arcade Stadium, the EN version is noticeably harder than JP by default.

I was wondering if there were any other games in the collection with the wrong default difficulty. It sounds like Section Z could have this issue.
CRP

Post by CRP »

https://nintendoeverything.com/capcom-a ... ent-packs/
Netorabo spoke about the Switch release in greater detail with its developers, including producer Michiteru Okabe and director Takashi Matsuda. The site first asked about how the project actually came to be in the first place.

Okabe: It all started when Tsujimoto (Kenzo Tsujimoto, CEO of Capcom) mentioned how he wanted gamers to able to play older Capcom titles. That idea floated around for a while, but development didn’t start until around 2019. The foundation of the project was less ‘choose the games’ and more ‘do everything’. There are actually a couple of hundred arcade games released by Capcom (laughs).

Everything!?

Okabe: We started off by checking where the rights for each of the games were. We looked at which company had the rights to use the different logos, with who did work on each of the games and all the processes around the different rights involved. We checked everything. Unfortunately, there were a few games that we couldn’t use due to various circumstances.

Matsuda: We looked at the state of the ROM files, development data and other files from the past and gathered everything in order figure out what would be possible to make. Our original intension was to release everything but we felt that it could take around 10 years to do so (laughs). We knew that we needed to put this out as fast as possible and that was our chief consideration when deciding on the lineup.

Okabe: I hope people will be pleased with the games we’ve chosen.

The same interview also included some discussion about the different bundles in Capcom Arcade Stadium. There are three in total, each of which contains ten games.

On the topic of selection, was the selection process different from the past releases such as “Capcom Arcade Cabinet” and “Capcom Beat ‘Em Up Bundle”?

Okabe: Completely different. This project is the first within the company to bring the entire Capcom archive together.

It’s rare to see games sold in packs of 10.

Okabe: Of course, we want everyone to buy every bundle, but that would only make the game accessible to people who buy the full version. The games we play usually differ according to our age and we decided to bundle the games by generation. We considered breaking them up by genre, but we decided that organizing games by generation creates bundles more gamers will resonate with.

Matsuda: We also wanted the people to have enjoy an arcade feeling by buying several the titles in bulk.
BIL

Post by BIL »

A heartwarming story, but like Fujimoto-san bringing home the gold on an obliterated kneecap, they'd better nail the landing or face the shame of their ancestors Image
MJR

Post by MJR »

Jeneki wrote:Not sure if there are any Section Z fans here, but is the difficulty jacked way up in this collection? Playing on mame or mister I can consistently get to the downward scrolling section (around P-R), but in this collection I'm only getting to the upward scrolling section (around K-L). I'm using the same controller and same display for all three.

Some examples: The section E boss consistently dies quickly in mame/mister, but drags on for quite a while in this collection. In the upward scrolling sections, the up/down moving laser cannons appear to take 2 hits instead of 1, almost never dying before they can pass under me (usually they should die before they pass me once). Closer to the section J boss, the wall cannons shoot far more often and in the final stretch there's way more enemies, gets pretty intense here.
Finally someone else noticed. I am huge section Z fan, and I've been playing the heck out of the previous Capcom collections on Xbox and PS2. I noticed that difficulty was shot way up and there was no way to change it at all.

I also noticed few other games working differently from previous collections, which either hints to alternate romsets or dip switch settings set into something different from previous collections as a default.

Also, JP version of Forgotten Worlds is not called Lost Worlds for some reason, though it certainly is jp version as the shopkeeper has dialogue and she bows. But in the en version the starting weapons are not what I remember them being on previous versions.

And, Strider seems to be much easier than I remember it being. The whole collection is bit weird like that.

Not being able to set difficulty on each game is a huge disappointment for me. I could only find settings for the amount of lives and when to get extend bonus, but not difficulty. Bizarre.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

MJR wrote:Not being able to set difficulty on each game is a huge disappointment for me. I could only find settings for the amount of lives and when to get extend bonus, but not difficulty. Bizarre.
Huh? There is difficulty setting there, at least in 1943, which I just tried. After you select game, there is the menu where you have start game, special challenge, score challenge, game manual, game settings, and in that game setting, there is the difficulty selection (with game speed and attract mode sound on/off)
MJR

Post by MJR »

GFoyle wrote:
MJR wrote:Not being able to set difficulty on each game is a huge disappointment for me. I could only find settings for the amount of lives and when to get extend bonus, but not difficulty. Bizarre.
Huh? There is difficulty setting there, at least in 1943, which I just tried. After you select game, there is the menu where you have start game, special challenge, score challenge, game manual, game settings, and in that game setting, there is the difficulty selection (with game speed and attract mode sound on/off)
Amusingly, Section Z was one of the only games where I checked the difficulty settings because I was puzzled by it's difficulty. From that game the difficulty setting is missing. I went to check couple other games and noticed almost all of them having it, except Bionic Commando.
Super Joe

Post by Super Joe »

One thing I would like them to address is the high score table, in the actual games, they don’t save.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I did some investigating on X360 Capcom arcade cabinet and with Mame; found out following:

On the international version of Section Z, the first level boss has vastly reduced hitpoints, while on the japanese version it's bullet sponge. This applies on Capcom arcade cabinet.

On Capcom arcade stadium, the japanese and english version play the same, so apparently they have mistakenly using the same rom file. So the lvl 1 boss is a bullet sponge in both versions. It's hardly surprising that M2 got this one right and whoever did the stadium didn't.

On Forgotten worlds, the japanese version (Lost Worlds) and international version both start with the V-gun, and you can buy napalm in level 2, but the shopkeeper animation and dialogue are only in the japanese version. On USA version, the V-gun is removed, difficulty is up, and you can buy napalm in lvl 1 shop. This is the version I played on my US-imported Capcom Classics collection.

On arcade stadium, at least the one sold in EU area, the EN rom is the international rom, and it has the V-gun at lvl 1, but the JAP rom is named Forgotten Worlds instead of Lost Worlds, which stinks of revisionism a bit..

Don't know what differences there are to other games, quite frankly I don't have time to dig. But if anyone wants to make similar comparisons, I'll be interested to read them.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Good research. :smile: I do hope, for all the generosity that interview mentions, Capcom are going to treat this as an ongoing project. M2 and Hamster may stick to smaller/individual releases, but they consistently maintain with patches/improvements (spanning seven years, in ACA's case). If they make an effort, Stadium could be an excellent large-scale collection.

I wonder what's up with Forgotten/Lost Worlds. Sega and NEC's respective 16bit versions use the FW name in Japan, too - meanwhile, every other Capcom game they licensed went by its JP title. Not unheard of - IREM's PCE Saigo no Nindou uses the overseas "Ninja Spirit" title, despite being based on the Japan rev - but then the actual Japanese arcade art has "Ninja Spirit" on it, too. Lost Worlds almost seems like a trademark thing, ala Rayforce/Layer Section.

Whatever the reasoning, "Forgotten Worlds" is a way cooler name, imo. For all the game's cheerfully Ahnuld-fronted neo/ancient batshittery, that's a stately title.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I wonder if the Lost Worlds thing has to do with a certain classic Arthur Conan Doyle book. I noticed that the US Trojan version of Tatakai no Banka and the JP Top Secret version of Bionic Commando are also missing.
CRP

Post by CRP »

MJR wrote:...It's hardly surprising that M2 got this one right and whoever did the stadium didn't.
Inhouse capcom did stadium.
https://nintendoeverything.com/capcom-a ... ent-packs/
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

BrianC wrote:I wonder if the Lost Worlds thing has to do with a certain classic Arthur Conan Doyle book.
It's kind of accepted that's the reason. The novel wasn't named "The Lost World" in Japan but the 1925 movie was and somehow they realized later. Hence the home versions for the 16bit consoles already used "Forgotten Worlds".
BIL

Post by BIL »

Interesting, thanks buds. :smile:
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

BrianC wrote:I noticed that the US Trojan version of Tatakai no Banka and the JP Top Secret version of Bionic Commando are also missing.
Yeah it's annoying when I'm scrolling through games, and it won't let me start until I switch the rom.

I have to wonder if Trojan is a playground-tier "haha ur game is a condom" thing.

Top Secret seems generic enough that I don't even know where to begin guessing. I don't recall there being any nazi stuff in the arcade version either.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

sherbaby wrote:Not really a direct answer, but I noticed that in Progear, the default difficulty is set to "4" on both EN and JP versions, while from what I've read elsewhere in the forums, the dip switches for the EN version of Progear in the arcade set the difficulty level to "2" by default. The problem is that the difficulty levels across versions seem to be overall differently calibrated, so "4" on EN is harder than "4" on JP.
This is in line with what I'm familiar with the game. Progear's US and JP versions are pretty similar in terms of difficulty on their default setting (I've gotten about halfway through the second loop in both), but in the options for Progear the 2 on the US version is equivalent to the 4 in the JP version. This means that the operator can set the game to be way harder than intended, even moreso than the JP version I think (the bullets speeds get raised enormously to the point it's clearly unbalanced and not meant to be played that way.

Note that Giga Wing's difficulty settings are the same way, but on the arcade version at least I've never noticed what, if anything, the difficulty slider does. I've tried playing it at max difficulty as well as default and it plays pretty similarly either way (it could be Giga Wing literally isn't programmed to use the difficulty slider in the CPS-2 options).
velo

Post by velo »

BrianC wrote:I noticed that the US Trojan version of Tatakai no Banka and the JP Top Secret version of Bionic Commando are also missing.
The US version of Powered Gear (Armoured Warriors) is also missing. Especially odd because it was included in the Capcom Beat em up Collection, so there's presumably no reason they *had* to leave it out..

Also: Captain Commando defaults to 3 lives. MAME and the Capcom Beat em up Collection give only two.

I think Ghosts n Goblins uses the final US revision for the US version, which does not seem to be the preferred one generally (it is the hardest version). I believe M2's PS3 port is based on an earlier version, or might have been an English localization of the final Japanese revision.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Holy hell it took me forever to get this running in my blast city with the controls wired up with a Brook Retro Pi PCB. The main issue was figuring out how to wire the " - " button (to continue) which is one of the non-programmable buttons. Retro Pi required a button combo for the " - " buton (select + R) that I couldn't seem to figure out how to do from the 20pin harness, had to wire up something from the screw-in terminal but I eventually got it working.

Anyway, glad to have Progear running and I was surprised how much I liked the art style of Battle Circuit, reminded me of the anime Space Dandy :lol:
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Been a while since I checked in on this game.
Have capcom updated it to run smoother or fix any of the weird graphical glitches?

Thanks
chempop

Post by chempop »

kid aphex wrote:Been a while since I checked in on this game.
Have capcom updated it to run smoother or fix any of the weird graphical glitches?

Thanks
That's what people are saying, for the Switch version anyway. I held off from getting it until I heard it was patched, so I can't compare it to the original release.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Nice, thanks for the reply. I’ll redownload it and check it out.