Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tarma

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium (NSW eshop): Progear, Giga Wing, 1

Post by Tarma »

BIL wrote:Hopefully, those rumours will prove true, and this'll be a timed exclusive. It'd fit the profile of stuff like the Darius Cozmic Collection, which actually benefited from extensive patching before arriving on PS4 (to Darius Gaiden - previously shaky, now generally regarded as F3-perfect post-patch).
Well, that will be super awesome if that's true.

2021 could be a great year for PS4 what with this and (hopefully) the first M2 Toaplan ports :D
CRP

Post by CRP »

Capcom tv has segment about the game with the producers talk about (all in japanese).
Can anyone how understands say if there is anything new said there ?
Also we can now take for granted that its done inhouse by capcom.
It wasnt that hard to figure since it has similarites (UX etc.) with the beat em bundle and that this is a continuation from that project.

starts at around 40min in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBIXAS6 ... e=youtu.be
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh thank God 3; and thank you for the link! ;3
BIL

Post by BIL »

Links don't seem to work for me - in case it's not just my PC, here's direct reuploads:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I can't read Japanese, but screenshots/etc don't seem to suggest anything new. Lookin' good though, getting nice Belt Action Collection vibes from those UIs.

TBH, I'm still on cloud 9 that this seemingly wasn't farmed out to everyone's favourite cowboy builders of the arcade emulation scene. Image Proof will be in teh pud, of course, but at least I can be reasonably sure this pud won't have bugs in it. Or if it does, that the management won't tell me "too bad but thanks for the cash." 3;
BAD

Post by BAD »

Absolutely cannot wait for this! DAY ONE. Been waiting for ProGear and 19XX a long, long time. Played 1944 a few times, but unfamiliar with it. It's like Battle Garegga to me, which is good! I hope Capcom has something like the M2 Gadgets for them, though; I've really gotten used-to them. At first, I wasn't interested, but they're very useful and now I cannot imagine playing without them! It would be AWESOME if these titles were allowed an alternate release with the stellar M2 treatment (Gadgets, new modes, etc.). I can just imagine how cool they'd make ProGear's M2 Gadgets steampunk-themed.

While we're on the subject, I didn't read this whole thread, but I wanted to see if anyone asked about Dimahoo or Mars Matrix, yet...

Dimahoo, in particular, absolutely NEEDS to be addressed by either Capcom or M2. I think M2 would treat it better (like they did with Sorcer Striker), but at this point we may need to just take what we can get!

Alright, now I'm thinking about Armed Police Batrider (and that's not even a Capcom game), so I should go...
badcp.info
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Now that I think about it Dimahoo is a game that would really benefit from the M2 treatment with the gadgets and such. Imagine how much easier it could be to keep track of your items collected if they were all displayed in the screen border. Keeping track of all the sets can be so tedious
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I forget how much, if not all of that has already been revealed. Main points:

32 titles to look forward to
3 packs announced

Pack 1:

Vulgus
Higemaru
Commando
Section Z
Trojan
Legendary Wings
Bionic Commando (even retroactively retitled from Top Secret for the Japanese)
Forgotten Worlds

Pack 2:

Strider
Devour Heaven & Earth (Romance of the Three Kingdoms beat ‘em up, I forget what it was called here)
Final Fight
Mercs
Chiki Chiki Boys
US Navy/Un Squadron
Street Fighter II World Warrior
Captain Commando
Varth

Pack 3:

Devour Heaven & Earth II: Battle of Redwall
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Powered Gear
Cyber Bots
19XX
Battle Circuit
Giga Wing
Storm of Progear

First pack hits in February
Whichever one you buy, you get Ghosts n’ Goblins free
Save/load any time
Rewind feature
Not just Japanese versions, contains foreign versions of games as well
“Lots of settings,” looks like dip switch settings + things like game speed
Global online hi score lists
CRT filters, view option where it looks like you’re playing on the original arcade machine.

The big wall of text at the bottom is just individual descriptions of various games with unrevealing “last seen on platform X, it’s great to see this coming back” type commentary.

Also, a cute message from Capcom management at the very bottom saying to use the rewind feature in Street Fighter II & cause chaos.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

BIL wrote:Hopefully, those rumours will prove true, and this'll be a timed exclusive. It'd fit the profile of stuff like the Darius Cozmic Collection, which actually benefited from extensive patching before arriving on PS4 (to Darius Gaiden - previously shaky, now generally regarded as F3-perfect post-patch).
Oh my god, I'd be THRILLED with a PC release for this!
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

Lot of titles worth getting stoked about. But woulda been nice to see a couple of the belt scrollers (previously released) get replaced with AvP and/or The Punisher. Either way, here’s hoping it sees a PS4 release in may.
Sengoku Strider

rapoon wrote:Lot of titles worth getting stoked about. But woulda been nice to see a couple of the belt scrollers (previously released) get replaced with AvP and/or The Punisher. Either way, here’s hoping it sees a PS4 release in may.
The obvious problem with those is the license. They did bring back the D&D brawlers, but they were only available for a year (except for the Wii U which still has it, I guess they just forgot about it). Presumably Capcom paid to renew the license for a year then moved on because most everyone who really wanted it would have bought it already. Guessing they have longer term plans with Arcade Stadium and don't want to bother with all that and the hassles that would ensue from fans over delisting.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sengoku Strider wrote: The obvious problem with those is the license. They did bring back the D&D brawlers, but they were only available for a year (except for the Wii U which still has it, I guess they just forgot about it). Presumably Capcom paid to renew the license for a year then moved on because most everyone who really wanted it would have bought it already. Guessing they have longer term plans with Arcade Stadium and don't want to bother with all that and the hassles that would ensue from fans over delisting.
It's still on Steam and it's even on sale for 4.94 USD. It's still available to buy from the microsoft store too.
Sengoku Strider

BrianC wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote: The obvious problem with those is the license. They did bring back the D&D brawlers, but they were only available for a year (except for the Wii U which still has it, I guess they just forgot about it). Presumably Capcom paid to renew the license for a year then moved on because most everyone who really wanted it would have bought it already. Guessing they have longer term plans with Arcade Stadium and don't want to bother with all that and the hassles that would ensue from fans over delisting.
It's still on Steam and it's even on sale for 4.94 USD. It's still available to buy from the microsoft store too.
Not a PC gamer, so wasn't aware. That's interesting, I wonder what the deal is there.
SPM

Post by SPM »

The new "Ghosts 'n' Goblins Resurrection" is up for preorders, at the sweet sweet price of 30 bucks digital... damn!
I don't really know how many things this new game includes, but the price seems steep

Something tells me the packs in the Capcom Arcade Stadium aren't gonna be cheap either...
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Master O

Post by Master O »

EmperorIng wrote:Looks like Capcom is getting in the retro arcade collection thing (outside their beatemup collection). I can only pray that the emulation is at least Hamster level. Who worked on the other recent Capcom collections? Digital Eclipse?

I HOPE to GOD that they don't do a Capcom Home Arcade that only has the USA versions... They're really digging through their rom folders eh?!?

Includes mention of:
Section Z
Senjou no Okami (Mercs)
1942 (bleh)
1941: Counterattack
19XX: The War Against Destiny
1944: The Loop Master (!!)
Carrier Air Wing
Varth
Forgotten Worlds
Legendary Wings
Giga Wing
Progear

Among many other games (Strider, Mega Twins, Street Fighter 2, etc.)

Capcom Arcade Studio announced for Switch eshop
trailer
https://www.capcom-arcade-stadium.com/us/
Looking at the Capcom Arcade Stadium site, that's crazy that Vampire Hunter and Vampire Savior (fighting games) aren't available, but Cyberbots is.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I'll take that as a positive..we can hold out hope for some type of Darkstalkers revival, and it cleared the way for something like Cyberbots to be in the collection, which nobody would have expected to get.
Master O

Post by Master O »

bigbadboaz wrote:I'll take that as a positive..we can hold out hope for some type of Darkstalkers revival, and it cleared the way for something like Cyberbots to be in the collection, which nobody would have expected to get.
Another observation for Capcom Arcade Stadium, where is Three Wonders? That's both a fun platformer and shmup.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

That is indeed a big omission considering some of the more obscure inclusions. Well, there will hopefully be more packs..
Marc

Post by Marc »

If it's basically ROM's packaged in an emulator, they'd be stupid not to milk it with a few more packs. But then again, that's what I thought about the Arcade Cabinet on X360.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

It makes you wonder why they don't just drop their whole catalogue of CPS and CPS2 games once they have the emulator running on Switch? Minus the licensed stuff of course. I guess there's a lot more to it if the emulation is going to be accurate and bug free for every game?

Its easy to to look at emulation and the possibility to play just about any rom known to man and then look at the console equivalent and wonder why companies like Capcom and Konami don't basically just offer their entire catalogue of 8 and 16 bit games?

How do you explain this to a layperson that knows nothing about developing emulators for console? For example M2 released Taito F3 emulation on console for the first time with Darius Gaiden and the emulation was total trash. Inputs eaten, extra slowdown, rank doesn't work right etc. Months later they patched in basically a whole new emulator that gets the game in good shape. Probably no easy task. Now that they have a good Taito F3 emulator for Switch they announce nothing else. No Ray Force? Whats the barrier to just dropping the entire F3 catalogue? Other development costs like GUI, manuals, bug checkers, promotion etc? Maybe getting the big brass of the publisher who holds the rights to sign off is the hard part? If anything you would think it would make more business sense to cash in on all that hard work by releasing more than one F3 game.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I think it just comes down to marketing and opportunity cost.

Darius is a big enough name to be worth it, but maybe the resources it would take to port and distribute Rayforce (however easy and inexpensive it may be) could make more money elsewhere.
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

Do we know for certain that its emulation?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

To Far Away Times wrote:I think it just comes down to marketing and opportunity cost.

Darius is a big enough name to be worth it, but maybe the resources it would take to port and distribute Rayforce (however easy and inexpensive it may be) could make more money elsewhere.
That sounds about right. All the extra costs outside of just paying the staff who do the port must be substantial. And if you do a compilation pack with 50 roms and the emulation and features are not up to snuff then it will get trashed as a lazy cash grab. There are a few past Sega compilations that, while they had a beefy selection of games, proved that just dropping roms into an emulator is not as easy as it sounds.

Still I'm kind of surprised we don't see more compilations like this one that have a heftier amount of games. If Hamster can drop a new game every week with solid emulation quality on multiple platforms it can't be that hard. Then again they could be devs that work 20 hour days and sleep under their desk every night.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Wilsoncqb1911 wrote:Do we know for certain that its emulation?
Save states
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

So it seems pack 3 is the only one that'll be kinda worth a damn, and that probably won't release til sometime in Summer, I would guess?

I don't think the emulation on the Capcom Arcade Cabinet thing was terribly good, so I'm not super confident in this thing, and I DEFINITELY won't be playing it on Switch, given all the horrible input lag and lack of controller/video options it has, but I'll likely pick this up down the line when it's on Xbox or PS4.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
SPM

Post by SPM »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:So it seems pack 3 is the only one that'll be kinda worth a damn, and that probably won't release til sometime in Summer, I would guess?
As I understand it, all 3 packs will release next month. It'd be weird not to, wouldn't it?

I'm really looking forward to that pack. And it's nice that we'll have 1943 for free, to try all these features and see how well it performs. (I don't care much about that game though, but who knows... it could be a great bonus)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:I don't think the emulation on the Capcom Arcade Cabinet thing was terribly good, so I'm not super confident in this thing, and I DEFINITELY won't be playing it on Switch, given all the horrible input lag and lack of controller/video options it has, but I'll likely pick this up down the line when it's on Xbox or PS4.
1.0 was indeed not great, but it did get patched over time and got to a point where I'd say it's on par with the other mini consoles out there. Not 100% perfect, but playable to a point where a 1CC is completely viable on any of the shmups. In that, I am hopeful that's the starting point for this collection.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Pack 3 is going to outsell the other two many times over.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

SPM wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote:So it seems pack 3 is the only one that'll be kinda worth a damn, and that probably won't release til sometime in Summer, I would guess?
As I understand it, all 3 packs will release next month. It'd be weird not to, wouldn't it?
I haven't seen any real confirmation on this, but haven't researched too much. The only solid info I've seen is that Pack 1 drops in February, nothing else. If anyone has seen confirmation otherwise, please post!
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The Capcom website says scheduled for release Feb. 2021. 32 great games available.

Can't imagine they would say this then randomly delay 2/3 of the games.

I wouldn't be too pessimistic about input lag and emulation before it's even released, especially since the Beat em Up collection plays great. I like that 1943 is free not so much because I want 1943, but it gives a chance to test out a game and see the screen filters, input lag, autofire setup, controller remapping and so on ahead of spending cash. Had I gotten the chance to check out SNK 40th ahead of time I could've saved myself some bucks. I think this will be solid though.