Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jonpachi

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium (NSW, Steam): Progear, Giga Wing,

Post by Jonpachi »

I have to assume that part of the reason there are so many dupes is because they're on the other collection. Not everyone wants to pay $40 for the set, but they might drop $7 on just Darkstalkers, so, fuck it, drop in whatever roms we have ready for these consoles and get this thing out the door.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
BrianC wrote:Has Led Storm been in any previous compilations? That was one I was hoping for and it looks like it made the list.
It hasn't. A shame it's not the Rally 2011 version, though. Though I'm not expecting them to improve the emulation code and presentation in this new Stadium, so whatever.
Oh. I just typed "Led Storm" because I didn't feel like writing the full title (just assumed Rally 2011 was part of the title). The list for the games lists the Rally 2011 version.

edit: I was confused. Didn't realize Rally 2011 was a prototype and not the western version of the game. I wonder if this is the reason why Mad Gear isn't listed either. Doh. Looks like there are western Rally 2011 versions and, apparently, there are rom sets for US and EU Rally 2011 Led Storm and even a US Mad Gear set. All released? Very confusing.

It's definitely the English (US?) Rally 2011 version the collection, if the screenshots on this achievement site are any indication.

edit: Found some more info here.
Last edited by BrianC on Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Bleh...there are a couple of oddities snuck in, and I suppose folks who don't already have any of the company's previous collections might find this of interest, but I doubt I'll bother picking up anything from this set.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

FunktionJCB wrote:It seems we finally have a list of all games included:

1943 Kai
Black Tiger
Block Block
Capcom Sports Club
Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors
Eco Fighters
Gan Sumoku (GunSmoke)
Hissatsu Buraiken (Avengers)
Hyper Dyne Side Arms
Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition
Knights of the Round
Last Duel
Magic Sword
Mega Man: The Power Battle
Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
Pnickies
Rally 2011 LED Storm
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Savage Bees (Exed Exes)
SonSon
Street Fighter
Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
The King of Dragons
The Speed Rumbler (Rush & Crash)
Three Wonders
Tiger Road
Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire

As featured here:
https://www.trueachievements.com/n49909 ... collection

velo's earlier guess was actually quite accurate, since most of the titles mentioned ended up on this second volume.

I must say it's a bit of a disappointing list, since quite a few titles featured in the upcoming Capcom Fighting Collection are also included here, none of the licensed beat'em ups that made it to a couple of their physical releases are included, and the rest is mostly titles that have been featured before in other compilations.
Lmao. It's as I said. A bunch of shit they've already included in previous collections. Tiger Road and Black Tiger are the only ones I have the mildest interest in grabbing. There's a dedicated darkstalkers collection coming out if you want those games. All of the other stuff has been released on the ps2 collections. A lot of it has been released on modern consoles as well, like Knights of the Round.

I knew we wouldn't get any licensed shit and we won't. Punisher, AvP, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Xmen vs Street Fighter, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs etcetera are all memory holed.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the CAS 1 lineup was far superior to this.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Rally 2011 Led Storm is an interesting inclusion, at least. The earlier version included actually sounds more interesting than the released version, though the released JP and later US version was the namesake for the gang in Final Fight. The lack of non-Capcom CPS2 stuff like the first collection is disappointing, though. Would have loved to see stuff like Buster Bros/Pang, Dimahoo, and Mars Matrix.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Not exactly a stellar list. I preordered the Capcom Fighting Collection so that should cover all my needs for Capcom games especially since I get 3 Wonders with the preorder. This is going to be a pass for me.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

After the first CAS having the majority of the beat-em-up collection, I'm not surprised to see a lot of overlap with the new fighting collection. But didn't really expect so much overlap from the SF 30th collection. Maybe the Alpha games will be better than the disappointing emulation from the SF 30th collection (but they'll still probably be purely the arcade ROMs - i.e., inferior version of Alpha 3 than the console ports with lots more characters).

One that I'm sad about that most people probably don't care about at all... this was the chance for a first ever port of Muscle Bomber (CPS2 2D fighter sequel to Saturday Night Slam Masters, which is probably the game that I'm most excited about from this list). But it didn't show up.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Muscle Bomber is just the JP name for the first game. The sequel is Super Muscle Bomber.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

BrianC wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:
BrianC wrote:Has Led Storm been in any previous compilations? That was one I was hoping for and it looks like it made the list.
It hasn't. A shame it's not the Rally 2011 version, though. Though I'm not expecting them to improve the emulation code and presentation in this new Stadium, so whatever.
Oh. I just typed "Led Storm" because I didn't feel like writing the full title (just assumed Rally 2011 was part of the title). The list for the games lists the Rally 2011 version.

edit: I was confused. Didn't realize Rally 2011 was a prototype and not the western version of the game. I wonder if this is the reason why Mad Gear isn't listed either. Doh. Looks like there are western Rally 2011 versions and, apparently, there are rom sets for US and EU Rally 2011 Led Storm and even a US Mad Gear set. All released? Very confusing.

It's definitely the English (US?) Rally 2011 version the collection, if the screenshots on this achievement site are any indication.

edit: Found some more info here.
Oh, you're right. They've pìctured the Rally 2011 version there. Cool.

BrianC wrote:Rally 2011 Led Storm is an interesting inclusion, at least. The earlier version included actually sounds more interesting than the released version, though the released JP and later US version was the namesake for the gang in Final Fight. The lack of non-Capcom CPS2 stuff like the first collection is disappointing, though. Would have loved to see stuff like Buster Bros/Pang, Dimahoo, and Mars Matrix.
Mars Matrix, Giga Wing, 1944 and Progear were indeed developments for Capcom, but Mitchell's Pang series had nothing to do with Capcom aside from letting them make and sell some home versions (and use its hardware for other non-scrolling games). The last entry Mighty Pang was distributed by Capcom but only because it used the CPS2.
subcons

Post by subcons »

While I'll agree this list of games isn't mind blowing, I'll still pick it up to play Gun.Smoke and Block Block on my Switch undocked. Well worth $4 to me.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

BrianC wrote:Muscle Bomber is just the JP name for the first game. The sequel is Super Muscle Bomber.
Yeah, that one. The 2D fighter, Super Muscle Bomber, aka Ring of Destruction: Slammasters II. Sad to see that one of the very few CPS-2 games to never get a home port still won't have one. I was really hoping for it to be in this next round of CAS games, and since there is so little left to pick from I'm not optimistic we'll see any more rounds of games. Especially disappointing after we got so many first time ports fairly recently: 19XX, 1944, Armored Warriors, Battle Circuit, Eco Fighters, Progear...

Obviously, same sentiment for Dimahoo not showing up on this list.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

The full details for this second collection are now at the official website:

https://www.capcom-arcade-stadium.com

Here's the announcement trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSbcx7PvQck

---

The release date is confirmed for July 22th (Europe).

A few quotes about the pre-order bonus, and a couple of extras for those who have the first Capcom Arcade Stadium:

Preorder Bonus:
Get the in-game frames, "Display Frames Set 1" as a bonus for preording!

"Capcom Arcade Stadium" Player Bonus:
Capcom Arcade Stadium Music & Lights
The bonus will be available to players with "Capcom Arcade Stadium" save data who download "Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium."

"Capcom Arcade Stadium" Title Download Bonus:
Instruction Card & Key Art Backgrounds
The bonus will be available to players who purchased additional titles for "Capcom Arcade Stadium" and who download "Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium."

---

The game page is up on Steam (and I assume other platforms as well):
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1755 ... d_Stadium/

SonSon is included for free with the app download.
Gan Sumoku appears to be a bonus for buying the whole bundle of games (which is labelled as "Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium Bundle 1", so maybe we are getting more in the future).

Once again, we are getting Invincibility DLC (not included in the pre-order bundle), and there will be another "mini album" available, with the following track list:

Main Theme SONSON
Main Theme SAVAGE BEES
Stage 1-4-7-9 Boss introduction - Stage Theme Gan Sumoku
Sharp Shooting (Stage 1 & 4 Theme) The Speed Rumbler
Round 1 HYPERDYNE SIDE ARMS
Gold Dragon Mansion (1st STAGE Theme) Tiger Road
Air Battle B 1943 Kai - Midway Kaisen -
Road to the Tower (Round 1) Magic Sword
Midnight Wanderers Stage 1-1 THREE WONDERS
Start Waiting Screen A.K.A KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND
Tokyo (Stage 1) SATURDAY NIGHT SLAM MASTERS
Stage 2 ECO FIGHTERS
Demitri Stage (Romania) NIGHT WARRIORS - Darkstalkers' Revenge -
Player Select MEGAMAN - THE POWER BATTLE -
Who’ll be your double? (Character Select) STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3
Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium Special Arrange Medley Cap-jams ver.
Atariboy

Post by Atariboy »

The only disappointment in my mind are the duplicates from the upcoming fighting collection, the Capcom Beat 'Em Up collection, and the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection. With those games already present (Or soon to be present) on all the modern consoles via other collections, ideally we'd of seen those slots here taken by new to compilation candidates like U.N. Squadron (A game that wouldn't take much in the way of edits to make non-infringing).

Keeping games exclusive to Capcom Arcade Cabinet or the even older Capcom Classics Collections (Such as Eco Fighters) though would've been pretty bizarre and in my opinion it would've been disappointing to see. While thanks to backwards compatibility Xbox fans like myself can enjoy Cabinet on even the latest Xbox hardware (An excellent collection, so it understandably diminishes the lineup for Xbox fans here), everyone else can't.

Games like Gun Smoke are worthy inclusions that belong here that have no business being left off. But it disappointed me to see that they apparently struggled a bit to come up with 32 candidates and did so much double dipping with other compilations of the last two generations (11 of the 32 games by my count, with satisfied CAC owners on Xbox systems getting another 8 duplicates).

At least they're selling these standalone. If one really only wants 3 or 4 of these to round out their other modern Capcom compilations with, it's a viable option at $4 a pop (Although I'd personally just wait for the inevitable sale and buy the full collection at a big discount).
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

At least they're selling these standalone. If one really only wants 3 or 4 of these to round out their other modern Capcom compilations with, it's a viable option at $4 a pop (Although I'd personally just wait for the inevitable sale and buy the full collection at a big discount).

Do we know if Three Wonders will be available at all outside of requiring to purchase Fighting Collection? I really want that one, but am getting Fighting Collection on Xbox while buying 2nd Stadium on Switch (I know it's a first world problem but still). I am trying to spread these games out on multiple systems to feel less of the duplicate burn (already have SF 30 annivesary, belt, and 1st stadium on Switch) and have Arcade Cab on Xbox.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Redfox wrote:Do we know if Three Wonders will be available at all outside of requiring to purchase Fighting Collection?

Looks like it, it's available for purchase on Switch as a DLC. The only one missing is Gun.Smoke but I think (hope) we'll be able to get it individually as well, like we did with GnG on the first CAS
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

Thanks for the info!
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I checked the store page on the eshop. Just FYI, the games are listed at $4 apiece, not $2 like the original CAS. Twice as much.

I honestly have to wonder how far Capcom can push it until they receive *any* negative feedback.
SPM

Post by SPM »

They were likely testing the waters with the first CAS and the individual purchases did better than expected, so here we are.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Mitchell's Pang series had nothing to do with Capcom aside from letting them make and sell some home versions (and use its hardware for other non-scrolling games). The last entry Mighty Pang was distributed by Capcom but only because it used the CPS2.
Mitchell is former Capcom staff and Pang 3 was on CPS1. Capcom published Buster Bros in the US and other Capcom games used the same hardware. Mitchell designing the games didn't stop Capcom from making a PS1 collection. Loose connection or not, they are worthy games and more deserving of a spot than Hyper Street Fighter II.

I found out that one game in 2nd Stadium was co-designed by another company (Compile) is in the collection. Pnickies. Looks like a fun puzzler.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Sima Tuna wrote:I checked the store page on the eshop. Just FYI, the games are listed at $4 apiece, not $2 like the original CAS. Twice as much.

I honestly have to wonder how far Capcom can push it until they receive *any* negative feedback.
Honestly, $2 was super cheap. It almost felt like a mistake. $4 is fair (and there's only like three titles I'm interested in, so I'm not going to cry about $12). Hamster gets away with double that price...
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

BrianC wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Mitchell's Pang series had nothing to do with Capcom aside from letting them make and sell some home versions (and use its hardware for other non-scrolling games). The last entry Mighty Pang was distributed by Capcom but only because it used the CPS2.
Mitchell is former Capcom staff and Pang 3 was on CPS1. Capcom published Buster Bros in the US and other Capcom games used the same hardware. Mitchell designing the games didn't stop Capcom from making a PS1 collection. Loose connection or not, they are worthy games and more deserving of a spot than Hyper Street Fighter II.
Mitchell actually is former DECO/Tad Corporation staff, but yeah, there were not few people jumping over Capcom's and Mitchell's fences once and again for development as they seemed to have a special relationship with many implications. It doesn't mean that Capcom ever owned any IP regarding the Pang series beyond their home ports, check the title screens:

They're, unlike Giga Wing and co., Mitchell-only games which don't belong in this collection.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
BrianC wrote:
Mitchell actually is former DECO/Tad Corporation staff, but yeah, there were not few people jumping over Capcom's and Mitchell's fences once and again for development as they seemed to have a special relationship with many implications. It doesn't mean that Capcom ever owned any IP regarding the Pang series beyond their home ports, check the title screens:

They're, unlike Giga Wing and co., Mitchell-only games which don't belong in this collection.
I know they don't own the IP, but other collections licensed stuff with a loose connection before and it's not like Mitchell is re-releasing them.
subcons

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighter

Post by subcons »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:I checked the store page on the eshop. Just FYI, the games are listed at $4 apiece, not $2 like the original CAS. Twice as much.

Honestly, $2 was super cheap. It almost felt like a mistake. $4 is fair (and there's only like three titles I'm interested in, so I'm not going to cry about $12). Hamster gets away with double that price...
Same. The performance (at least on Switch) along with the features, especially save states, makes $4 per rom fair IMO. There’s plenty of stuff out there that’s a straight rom with bare bones features and/or input lag going for far more.
BIL

Post by BIL »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:

I'd happily pay ACA prices for individual releases of the games I want (a good 80% of the combined CAS1+2 lineups), if I knew they'd control as sharply as Hamster's stuff. :/ (PS4 user here. I'll have to get a Switch at some point for M2's AGES stuff, fingers crossed CAS really might control better over there)

For now, I'm gonna have to try out Gun.Smoke at least. I do hope they've turned off the vsync, or whatever was the issue with PS4 CAS1. Maybe a few more elusive ALLs will appear. Image

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The negative reviews of the steam version of CAS are complaints about IAPs, not about lag. Some even say it has less lag than other versions, IIRC.

edit: Telling from the arcade version's credits, the first two Buster Bros./Pang/Pomping World games were mostly Capcom staff, despite the Mitchell copyright. Some Capcom staff in the Pang 3 credits too.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:

I knew people would bring up Hamster.

The difference, for me, between Capcom and Hamster is that Hamster always delivers a high-quality, arcade-perfect port. Capcom don't have nearly that solid a track record with their arcade ports. Sometimes the ports are okay, other times they have added lag and other inaccuracies. $4 would be a fair price if we could trust that every one of the games on CAS 2 is going to be arcade perfect.

But the other issue is that so many of these games have been on other collections. Because then we also have to compare both the price point and the porting job to what Capcom have already produced. Is the version of Knights of the Round on CAS 2 going to be as good as the one released for their beat em ups bundle? If not, why release it at all on CAS? What's the netcode going to be like for SF Alpha 3? That was a notorious problem players had with the SF 30th anniversary edition. If all capcom is doing is rebundling the same shit that they've already sold in the past, down to using the exact same ports, then I just don't see the point. And I don't think that's worth $4 per game. You can bet any of the games in that newest capcom darkstalkers fighting collection are going to be using the same exact port job as CAS 2.

I also wonder how much double and triple-dipping is enough for Capcom. They know people want the licensed stuff and they have no interest in providing it. They'd rather try to sell me King of Dragons for the fifth fucking time. Who the hell doesn't own King of Dragons by this point? If you don't have King of Dragons then you don't want it.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

BrianC wrote: edit: Telling from the arcade version's credits, the first two Buster Bros./Pang/Pomping World games were mostly Capcom staff, despite the Mitchell copyright. Some Capcom staff in the Pang 3 credits too.
Yeah, they shared staff quite often. But it doesn't make of them Capcom games. If ever I found Last Resort in an Irem collection I'd feel uneasy for the same reason.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
BrianC wrote: edit: Telling from the arcade version's credits, the first two Buster Bros./Pang/Pomping World games were mostly Capcom staff, despite the Mitchell copyright. Some Capcom staff in the Pang 3 credits too.
Yeah, they shared staff quite often. But it doesn't make of them Capcom games. If ever I found Last Resort in an Irem collection I'd feel uneasy for the same reason.
Last Resort isn't all Irem staff (mostly SNK and some developers that left for Tecmo). The original Pomping World/Buster Bros./Pang is almost all Capcom staff, and at a time when they were still making games for Capcom. Not much crossover, if any, with other Mitchell games either. The sequel has one staff member that links to other credits on MobyGames that worked on other Mitchell games.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

How do we even know former Irem staff worked on Last Resort? I do know some of the Last Resort staff worked on the KOF series later on.

It's kind of like with Pulstar. People have always said that game was done by former Irem staff, but I haven't seen credits or interviews that actually corroborate. Unlike with Nazca where we know without question Irem staff like Akio worked on games such as R-Type and In the Hunt before Metal Slug.
velo

Post by velo »

Jonpachi wrote:I have to assume that part of the reason there are so many dupes is because they're on the other collection. Not everyone wants to pay $40 for the set, but they might drop $7 on just Darkstalkers, so, fuck it, drop in whatever roms we have ready for these consoles and get this thing out the door.
Well, they could have made the Fighter Collection so that games could be bought individually. Or they could have added online play to CAS2. Or they could have added all these games to the original CAS, with online features for select games. Putting the same games on two collections on the same platforms at the same time, that's not a play you see every day, nor is releasing a separate launcher for what amounts to DLC. Maybe there was some kind of managerial flub where they committed to making another CAS then decided that it would only sell if it were 50% Street Fighter games. I really have no idea.