Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
LordHypnos

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium (NSW eshop): Progear, Giga Wing, 1

Post by LordHypnos »

BulletMagnet wrote: Presumably the same one that'll grant us a non-garbage port of Giga Wing Generations.
Giga Wing collection with all 3 Giga Wings and Mars Matrix, when?

Might as well throw in Night Raid while you're at it (though who actually published that? was it Capcom?)

Going to just go ahead and quote this because I accidentally pushed it off of the most recent page:
mojilove wrote:Looks like each game will be available to buy separately for 2 dollars each on steam (but not on xbone as far as I can see. No info on PSN yet) - surprisingly reasonable decision for steam at least.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2 ... ePurchase/
I'm sure someone will figure out how to extract the roms too.
A lot of interesting games there.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

^ Takumi self-published Night Raid on the Playstation.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Gigawing Generations was published by Taito as it was on the Taito Type-X hardware so that's out.

However....

Dimahoo is possible!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Well they don't seem to have any interest in re-securing licences, and including any further titles from the belt-scrolling and Street Fighter collections would render those pointless, so I guess our most obvious bets are Gunsmoke, Side Arms, Black Tiger, Tiger Road, 1943 Kai, maybe LED Storm and Last Duel, and a Darkstalkers or two? Maybe Three Wonders?Can't really think of anything else at this point. I could live with all of the above as one extra pack though.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I would have mixed feelings on Dimahoo being included. This is probably the one game I'd rather see get a port to PS4/Switch than any other. I'd be excited to have a port in any form, but I'm holding out on the (possibly far-fetched) fantasy that it'll be a Shot Triggers release. Just picture having gadgets that show all of the item sets as you complete them or a G Darius HD style compendium of enemies that shows what item drops come from every enemy and what stages they appear in to aid with planning routes. Also no extra input lag would be very nice on this unforgiving game. That fucking last boss man. :evil:

Since they have done Sorcer Striker in the past and Dimahoo recently saw a big resurgence in popularity among top scoring players in Japan, you just never know. :wink:

And normally I'm not a huge stickler for input lag, but if Dimahoo came with lag like Giga Wing on this set I probably wouldn't even touch it.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Well they don't seem to have any interest in re-securing licences . . .
I wonder what the licensing situation is like on Dimahoo?1944 was done by Raizing and made it to the collection, but I imagine Capcom completely held onto the rights on that one. Given that Dimahoo is a sequel in a longer Raizing series makes me wonder who held onto it.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

I sincerely hope Dimahoo doesn't get a port to Switch/PS4 because then Xbox owners can't play it and that includes me ;)

Hopefully the PC, PS4 and Xbox versions will be better in regard to input lag.

Rastan78 wrote: I wonder what the licensing situation is like on Dimahoo?1944 was done by Raizing and made it to the collection, but I imagine Capcom completely held onto the rights on that one. Given that Dimahoo is a sequel in a longer Raizing series makes me wonder who held onto it.
I don't want to tempt fate but someone on another forum said the Mars Matrix and Dimahoo licenses were both renewed around the time this collection was announced.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Life must not be easy for an Xbox playing shmupper right now lol. You're really missing out on the Aleste and Darius collections etc.

Regarding the rights, I guess if we already got Progear and Giga Wing then Mars Matrix and Dimahoo would make perfect sense. But if they run worse than they do via MAME on my phone it doesn't get me all that excited.
velo

Post by velo »

Astro City II wrote: Hopefully the PC, PS4 and Xbox versions will be better in regard to input lag.
I hope they all run terribly, and that it pisses people off so much that Capcom is actually forced to patch it on all platforms.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Rastan78 wrote:The consensus seems to be that the problem is their decision to run it in the RE Engine.
What the heck is wrong with them? Why would they run an emulator in an engine with that much processor demand and overhead? Is all new software determined to be bloatware nowadays because nobody cares about producing efficient and fast software? I looked at the recommended hardware requirements on Steam, it's absurd.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I think they've had a habit of using their current engine for this stuff for a long time, but back when they were using MT Framework it didn't create any real issues. Yeah it really makes no sense for a collection like this to be that demanding.

I wouldn't be quick to blame the Switch when emulated classic arcade collections that run better than this date back to the PSP, let alone the PS3 / 360.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:the recommended hardware requirements on Steam
What in the actual fuck. Their "minimum" CPU is enough to emulate the Switch version. Surely a native port should be dramatically less demanding?
BIL

Post by BIL »

All I can say is HOLY FUCK LMAO @ me from a few months back, assuming this would be a no-frills arcade workhorse ala the Belt Action Collection. I think I'd bite my own dick off before playing Gun.Smoke with frame stutter. Guess there's always the Arcade Cabinet.

Fuck, guess there's always Capcom Generation 4. Never turn your back on the old standbys, kids! 3;
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BIL wrote:I'd bite my own dick off before playing Gun.Smoke with frame stutter.
If you're flexible enough to do that surely there's something more enjoyable you could be doing than biting it off. :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

At this stage I think mailing it in a box to Capcom with a note reading "LOOK AT WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!1!!!! :O" may be the best hope to make CAS not shit :shock:
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:What the heck is wrong with them?
It's Capcom...
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Jonpachi wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:What sorta lag were we looking at on Switch (frame-wise)? That thing is prone to lag, so I'm hoping they improve it.
It wasn't so much an input lag issue as it was inconsistent frame pacing. There is a recurring issue where the game stutters at regular intervals, which was a dealbreaker for me personally. I will hold out hope for the PS4 version to fix it, but I'm skeptical.
That's odd. I guess we'll see.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

mojilove wrote:Looks like each game will be available to buy separately for 2 dollars each on steam (but not on xbone as far as I can see. No info on PSN yet) - surprisingly reasonable decision for steam at least.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2 ... ePurchase/
I'm sure someone will figure out how to extract the roms too.
I'm down to buy Progear for $2 then proceed to emulate it elsewhere.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

That's admirable, but at the same time I don't understand. They don't deserve any money for continuing to half-ass classic comps after TWENTY YEARS.

It's long since been proven that the only lesson these fucking companies learn when we "show support" is that the piss poor job they're doing is perfectly acceptable. I mean, it was completely predictable all along when people were saying but but we have to vote with our wallets so we get the NEXT one, and MAYBE THEN they'll have done a better job too!!! ... but by now we have irrefutable proof that they will just keep on half-assing things.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Gotta agree there ^. Many people are asking for a fix for the current issues before releasing new games, but if it's sold well enough, why should Capcom care? The truth is that most people don't care about these supposed issues, either, and they'll keep buying them.

But it's also true that $2 for any rom in this collection which you can use properly elsewhere would be a steal.

Tricky situation.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

Being able to buy the games individually is great news, but I don't think my current PC will be able to handle the RE engine. So thank you, Capcom, but fuck you, Crapcom. Lol, I'm so confused right now.

They should have called this the Arcade Colosseum, cause this is where good games go to die.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I agree. Being able to support the games is great (even though technically we're supporting the publisher who owns the license and not the original devs I presume), but this release is a bloated mess. Those system requirements are ridiculous and unacceptable.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Yeah, the idea of running an emulator inside of a 3D engine seems really freaking dumb.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

It's not *inherently* stupid to run arcade emulation in a 3D environment, but you need to tune your 3D rendering engine to not try to double or triple buffer or any of the other tricks that modern engines like UE4 do that smooth out framerate but add tons of latency.

I've heard something to the effect that Sony actually requires a lot of those tweaks to make it past their certification. Not sure how true that is, but it wouldn't surprise me-- Sony at the very least is a company that wants you on the latest and greatest instead of their past library. More money in it.

I might take a look at the PC release, but I'm definitely not throwing any cash at it unless it's more stable than the Switch version. Many of the games in this collection I have via their 360/PS3 packs from a number of years back.
Siontis

Post by Siontis »

I will not get the collection for my PS4, even though I'm dying to play Progear. I don't think Capcom is going to fix the stuttering issues considering the price of the product, maybe less lag but that's all. I would happily pay 50 just for a decent port of Progear but not a single cent for a lazy cash grab.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Good on you. Let's hear what people have to say about the PS4 release, though - I think it's halfway reasonable that the power difference alone may clear up the performance issues.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I will not get this on PS4
I will not buy it from the online store
I tried to play it on the Switch
It chugged and stuttered like a bitch
All I wanted was Progear
Capcom can take it in the rear
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

^ That's some top tier poetry right there.
My lord, I have come for you.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Jonpachi wrote:I will not get this on PS4
I will not buy it from the online store
I tried to play it on the Switch
It chugged and stuttered like a bitch
All I wanted was Progear
Capcom can take it in the rear

Stop whining online
Everything will be fine
You've chosen to buy on Switch or PS4?
Your choices are poor
They don't care for legacy or enhance whay you buy, They're out of the groove
When shmups only appear on Japanese consoles it's a considerable dick move
If you don't support this output from Capcom then they won't get the cheques/checks
You should be forced to endure Sine Mora EX!
We all agree Progear is top tier, highly unorthodox and well done
But make sure you pick this collection up on Xbox One!

If you want to reply to me on Twitter you can ping
To be honest f**k the other games I'll be playing Gigawing!