Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
chempop

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium (NSW eshop): Progear, Giga Wing, 1

Post by chempop »

Enjoying Progear more than I thought I would. Stage design is very tight, even though 'organic wobbly-ass patterns' frustrate me. I'm still shit at the game and I don't quite have my head wrapped around the scoring, but I'll be sticking with it until I at least get a couple 1-Alls with a few character combos.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Latest update does seem to fix most of the issues. I no longer see the stuttering in Progear at least.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

This is good to hear, kudos to Capcom for addressing them.
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

I came here to say the same. When the patch landed I had only previously tried 2D mode and noticed the hitching had completely gone, but I switched 3D cabinet view on again for the first time (and of course paired it with screen filter G for scanlines) and was surprised to find, in both handheld and docked modes, no stuttering whatsoever. Fair play to Capcom, this is more than good enough now, even if the emulation in some titles isn't as good as I'd like it to be the collection no longer feels like it has jank to it.

I think there was always room for improvement there - even as it stands now the Switch version's visual settings are broadly equivalent to the 'Medium' preset on PC. High turns on depth of field which was never going to happen on Switch with its bandwidth limited memory.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Are we still talking about the Switch update or have they come along and done the same with XO/PS4?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I'm personally talking about the Switch update. No idea on how the other platforms are performing, but if they've identified and addressed these issues on Switch I'd assume other platforms would follow.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Playing on Switch here, I resumed doing runs of Giga Wing and have noticed a really odd glitch now where the score tabulation at the end of a level will roll over to a lower digit. As in, I finish up stage 4 with a score somewhere around 5.9兆 and instead of rolling over to 6兆, it drops back to 4.9兆 at the rollover and then scores up from there.

Anyone else noticed this? Is this glitch on the CPS2 original?
RoboArmy

Post by RoboArmy »

I'm playing it on PS4 (pack #2) and while the lag isn't all that noticeable at first, I'm suspiciously missing jumps with tight timing on Strider, which is the game I'm mainly testing this with aside from Final Fight. Dunno what to think of it but BBH's stream of the ps4 version was disappointing, I was expecting to be able to actually use a damn stick with it once I buy one I can use on a PS4.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Kiken wrote:Anyone else noticed this? Is this glitch on the CPS2 original?
I've never noticed this either in the CPS2 version or in MAME emulation. Doesn't mean it's not a glitch there, but I've never seen my score drop during end of stage tabulations. Will keep an eye out, but probably safe to assume it's a glitch specific to this version until we know more?
velo

Post by velo »

chempop wrote:Enjoying Progear more than I thought I would. Stage design is very tight, even though 'organic wobbly-ass patterns' frustrate me. I'm still shit at the game and I don't quite have my head wrapped around the scoring, but I'll be sticking with it until I at least get a couple 1-Alls with a few character combos.
I notice I get way way way less "Capcom Points" from playing Progear than other games, probably because it's harder to get a not-terrible score when playing purely for survival, compared to the other games in the collection.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

There was an update recently which apparently fixed some sound issues and whatnot.

Off to the side, I checked the individual game pages for a couple of titles I'd be interested in buying a la carte, and you're still unable to do that, but I did notice a message near the bottom of the description:
While some titles are currently only purchasable in bundles, individual games will be made available for purchase in the future.
Was that always there, and I just missed it? Or a sign of changes in the works?
Bydo Empire

Post by Bydo Empire »

Seems like there's a low appreciation for Forgotten Worlds on this forum. Maybe it's because of the specialized controller in the arcade, but it's been in my top 10 smups for decades. I'm not saying compare it to Progear, but look at any shooter of that era: it really is a gem.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Bydo Empire wrote:Seems like there's a low appreciation for Forgotten Worlds on this forum. Maybe it's because of the specialized controller in the arcade, but it's been in my top 10 smups for decades. I'm not saying compare it to Progear, but look at any shooter of that era: it really is a gem.
Sadly I have never seen the original arcade cabinet, but I loved the conversion on amiga back in 1989, though it missed levels, loved the megadrive version in 1991, and the Capcom arcade classics version I played to death on PS2 as well. I also bought the PC-Engine CD-Rom version, though the last boss on that one is a total joke.

My long-term goal is to 1cc the japanese rom with the kiss you can buy from the shopkeeper in the last shop for huge bonus points (missing from other regions). Since this is included in the Arcade stadium, I can now indulge myself.

It has been in my top 10 shmups for decades as well.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Bydo Empire wrote:Seems like there's a low appreciation for Forgotten Worlds on this forum. Maybe it's because of the specialized controller in the arcade,
My guess - It's because of that and because Mame's default implementation for digital controls is awful for this game. Unlke rotary stick games, you can play it really well with 3 digital buttons ala Megadrive port but you need to properly adjust the analog-to-digital speed first so that the option moves and rotates fast enough. Also, the overseas versions are harder for no reason, if I remember it right. It's an awesome game.
SPM

Post by SPM »

I haven't done it yet, but would pick up the first pack just for that game and Section Z alone (maybe add Commando and GnG to the list)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
velo

Post by velo »

Bydo Empire wrote:Seems like there's a low appreciation for Forgotten Worlds on this forum. Maybe it's because of the specialized controller in the arcade, but it's been in my top 10 smups for decades. I'm not saying compare it to Progear, but look at any shooter of that era: it really is a gem.
FW with twin stick controls is one of the nice things to come out of this collection. Like that SNK arcade collection thingy wasn't the greatest but at least it has Ikari Warriors etc with twin stick controls, so that's something. Might help the game find a bigger audience.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I asked a lead dev about SNK40th's control bugs (the sticks randomly freeze up, forcing a frantic waggle to "unstick" - nothing completes the arcade experience like malfunctioning controls :shock: other issues too) - he replied that, at just over two years old, the collection was unfathomably ancient, and will see no further patches. :lol:

Luckily, Hamster have also covered most of the rotary STGs on that set (ACA's TANK, Ikari, Dogosoken and Guevara are beautiful, as good as it gets outside of real boards + LS30s... and even though Ikari III kinda sucks IMO, it was of course handled with equal care). Here's hoping they reach Battle Field, Bermuda Triangle, and most of all, the staggeringly excellent Search And Rescue.

NOBODY
KNOWS
THE
FACTS
chempop

Post by chempop »

Got the Progear 1-All this past weekend (USA region) and again just now (JPN region) with a life remaining.. would have been 2 but I didn't even break 1.1M. I have no idea how to score yet but the game is still good fun. Used Bolt & Nail both times, not sure if I will dabble too much with the other pilots/gunners, any suggestions?
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
velo

Post by velo »

Switch just got an update... new DLC (backgrounds/invincibility), plus faster autofire rates for some games, plus a zoom function maybe? Saw it in button mappings and don't know what that is
chempop wrote:Got the Progear 1-All this past weekend (USA region) and again just now (JPN region) with a life remaining.. would have been 2 but I didn't even break 1.1M. I have no idea how to score yet but the game is still good fun. Used Bolt & Nail both times, not sure if I will dabble too much with the other pilots/gunners, any suggestions?
Nice
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

chempop wrote:Got the Progear 1-All this past weekend (USA region) and again just now (JPN region) with a life remaining.. would have been 2 but I didn't even break 1.1M. I have no idea how to score yet but the game is still good fun. Used Bolt & Nail both times, not sure if I will dabble too much with the other pilots/gunners, any suggestions?
Bolt/Nail is definitely the easiest to use overall, especially for survival. Ring/Nail is the highest scoring, but also probably the hardest to clear with. Other combinations have their pros and cons too, but those two are the most popular.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

congrats! the bullet cancelling ties in with scoring, so lining up strings/spreads of bullets over enemies (especially large enemies) allows you to abuse the scoring system.
Spoiler
you want to use your rapid fire shot (and imo rarely your lock on shot until you're ready to cash in) until you built up your ring to the highest value. any time you switch to your lock on shot you will notice the ring symbol at the bottom left hand corner will change to a different symbol: a stone - your main scoring item. so if you accidentally use the lock on shot to cancel bullets before you're at the highest value, then you're short changing yourself on score with a lower value stone like an emerald, ruby, or the shitty amethyst.

e.g. you build up your ring by constantly cancelling spreads with rapid fire until you build it to this symbol

and then when you hold your lock on shot down to cancel the next bullet pack it will cash out as this symbol

and the ring/stone table for reference

the way I explain it makes it sound like you'd use your rapid fire shot for a long time to build up the value, but you can realistically build it up to the max value by cancelling one giant spread and then scoring by cancelling next giant spread.
e.g. this probably isn't the ideal way to score it, but this first large enemy you encounter in stage 1: you can build the ring value to a full diamond ring with rapid fire cancelling its first bullet spread using the tiny enemies, and then use the 2nd bullet spread to cancel with lock on shot on the large enemy itself to cash out which all happens between 0:30 - 0:36.
https://youtu.be/ZrOjr6iwjig?t=30
a creature... half solid half gas
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Input lag still the same? I REALLY want this, but not if it's like 5 to 7 frames.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Input lag still the same? I REALLY want this, but not if it's like 5 to 7 frames.
Well on Switch it feels great... Not sure about the numbers tough...

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Siontis

Post by Siontis »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Input lag still the same? I REALLY want this, but not if it's like 5 to 7 frames.
Progear is the most responsive game of the 3rd pack but I can't enjoy it (M2 spoiled me) because of the 5 frames of lag it comes with(PS4), the rest of the games are basically unplayable (7+ frames of lag) if you aim for 1CC.
CthulhuSteev

Post by CthulhuSteev »

Siontis wrote:
Progear is the most responsive game of the 3rd pack but I can't enjoy it (M2 spoiled me) because of the 5 frames of lag it comes with(PS4), the rest of the games are basically unplayable (7+ frames of lag) if you aim for 1CC.
Has the pS4 lag not been fixed? I downloaded the free Ghosts 'n Goblins and it didn't feel great to play. I'd love to buy the pack, but not if the lag is still bad.
SPM

Post by SPM »

The whole CAS is now 25% off, each pack 20% off, and individual titles are now available at 2€ each (at least on Switch and Xbox)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

SPM wrote:The whole CAS is now 25% off, each pack 20% off, and individual titles are now available at 2€ each (at least on Switch and Xbox)
:shock:
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

SPM wrote:The whole CAS is now 25% off, each pack 20% off, and individual titles are now available at 2€ each (at least on Switch and Xbox)
Awesome. I can now start picking off the individual titles I want to play as opposed to buying packs I'm not really interested in.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Tarma wrote:
Awesome. I can now start picking off the individual titles I want to play as opposed to buying packs I'm not really interested in.
Same here, I've been holding off until this option became available. Picked up Forgotten Worlds to start with.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Man, Forgotten Worlds with twin stick control for $2. Why would you not buy it?