Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DenimDemon

Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

Post by DenimDemon »

Junkies words on 3 Wonder kinda hurt my feelings sniff sniff …One of my favourites from Capcom!
But its cool to see what other people think about it while have never played it before.
Last edited by DenimDemon on Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpachi

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighter

Post by Jonpachi »

Klatrymadon wrote:Is there any particular reason for the extra lag on stick? Are pad PCBs wildly different from stick PCBs? (I've tinkered with both in lots of mods without knowing much about their workings...)
If I'm not mistaken, the comparison is between wireless and wired. When comparing the stock JoyCon, Bluetooth 3rd party, and Wired HRAPV, the wireless options won out.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Oof! This idiot has been avoiding wireless controllers his entire life because of an assumption that they'd 'obviously' be more laggy. :lol:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Same. I think it's a combination of improvements in wireless technology as well as the Switch being deliberately designed around wireless controls and therefore not optimized for use with wired controls. Instead of being plugged into the switch itself, wired inputs go through the dock, then into the Switch, so maybe that's part of it.

I still prefer wired when possible, simply because I don't like the unnecessary waste involved with sticking batteries in everything. It's also a pain to suddenly have to recharge them in the middle of playing.

I'm using a Magic NS adapter on my Switch and it seems to work well with my XB360 stick though. No massive latency or anything, perfectly playable.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

That's interesting - I use a Brook Universal Fighting Board for my Switch stick and still find that some games feel oddly floaty when hooked up to our main TV. The TV is set to 'gaming mode' but I'm wondering if it's creating some lag anyway - it's a big dumb 60" thing. Need to try it on my much smaller monitor for gaming.

I've been playing the Capcom collections on PC, where the stick lag seems fine, but I'm probably going to double-dip on PS4 eventually - does the stick issue persist there?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Klatrymadon wrote:That's interesting - I use a Brook Universal Fighting Board for my Switch stick and still find that some games feel oddly floaty when hooked up to our main TV. The TV is set to 'gaming mode' but I'm wondering if it's creating some lag anyway - it's a big dumb 60" thing.
Yeah depending on your TV and the age of it you can get some lag even in game mode. Some of the newer high end TVs are now giving fast gaming monitor type speeds even on a large living room set.

Recently upgraded from about a 2015 era Samsung to a new LG OLED. There's a very noticable improvement in response even though I was always in game mode on the old Samsung.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Ah, that might explain it then! I reckon this one is at least 6-7 years old. Thanks!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I finally picked up a super-low-lag gaming monitor it was life-changing. Mad at myself for not doing it sooner. You can get ones now that are like 0.4 or even less. SO worth it!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah definitely! My main gaming monitor (apart from the little CRT) is a Benq RL2455HM, which claims to have a 1ms response time. Whatever its response time in real terms, it's a delight to play on. I need to get the Switch upstairs and try it out. :P
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Jonpachi wrote:I finally picked up a super-low-lag gaming monitor it was life-changing. Mad at myself for not doing it sooner. You can get ones now that are like 0.4 or even less. SO worth it!
I was sort of stuck in he past thinking my 1080p set would be good forever. Always been kind of annoyed at the whole pushing more pixels above all else approach behind new tvs and Sony/MS consoles. 4k? Yawn who cares?

Actually the improvement in response time, smoother motion, deep blacks etc add up to a much better experience even if not gaming at 4k or 120fps.

Icing on the cake for me was that either 720p games or 1080p scale evenly into 4k. So with a lot of dicking around in menus (bc why would they make it easy or self explanatory?) you can get perfect 1:1 scaling out of older games. Even 720p stuff looks better than ever.

The catch is it won't be obvious when you're buying a new TV if you can set that up. There's a ton of misinformation on reddit and places like that. And if you have any scaling algorithm on whatsoever other than perfect even upscale (which of course they advertise as super advanced AI smart scaling that improves everything, and don't give any indication how to properly turn off) lower res console games will look like ass.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I have a very specific question and I haven't been able to find the answer. I turn to you, shmups forum, to see if the info exists, somewhere!

I want to know which version of (arcade) Final Fight is the best to practice on. I'm only counting commercial releases at this time. Not opposed to emulation, but if emulation is the best way, then I can easily set that up without asking.

I'm posting this on the CAS thread because I have both the beat em up bundle and CAS, I've been playing Final Fight both ways. But I noticed that the beat em up bundle only gives you a single save state. That's noooo good! CAS gives you a bunch of save states, which is better. So I will practice on CAS if this version of FF is decent. What I specifically want to know is if the CAS version of Final Fight has any serious lag or emulation errors. Unless the lag is really bad (giga wing, sega classics collection,) I usually can't tell just by feel. So both versions of Final Fight feel approximately the same to me. But considering how hard Final Fight is, I'd like to make sure I'm not making the game harder for myself by playing with extra lag.

I haven't found much luck in searching for lag testing of beat em ups. I did locate the old testing BIL did for the beat em up bundle (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=63307&start=60), which assures me I can always fall back on that version. It would just be neato if I could savestate practice in CAS on my switch while taking a shit. :lol: Single savestate practice is... I mean, it's definitely a thing. But I'd like to have states at a few different points.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Sima Tuna wrote:I have a very specific question and I haven't been able to find the answer. I turn to you, shmups forum, to see if the info exists, somewhere!

I want to know which version of (arcade) Final Fight is the best to practice on. I'm only counting commercial releases at this time. Not opposed to emulation, but if emulation is the best way, then I can easily set that up without asking.

I'm posting this on the CAS thread because I have both the beat em up bundle and CAS, I've been playing Final Fight both ways. But I noticed that the beat em up bundle only gives you a single save state. That's noooo good! CAS gives you a bunch of save states, which is better. So I will practice on CAS if this version of FF is decent. What I specifically want to know is if the CAS version of Final Fight has any serious lag or emulation errors. Unless the lag is really bad (giga wing, sega classics collection,) I usually can't tell just by feel. So both versions of Final Fight feel approximately the same to me. But considering how hard Final Fight is, I'd like to make sure I'm not making the game harder for myself by playing with extra lag.

I haven't found much luck in searching for lag testing of beat em ups. I did locate the old testing BIL did for the beat em up bundle (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=63307&start=60), which assures me I can always fall back on that version. It would just be neato if I could savestate practice in CAS on my switch while taking a shit. :lol: Single savestate practice is... I mean, it's definitely a thing. But I'd like to have states at a few different points.
One thing to note in terms of difficulty, is that in my experience so far several of the CAS games default to a higher setting than would have been arcade defaults at the time. Progear for example starts quite a bit higher, and I believe the same is true for other titles. Checking to see what the arcade default was should at least get you on level ground with the full 1990 arcade experience to practice within.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I'm already fiddling with the dipswitch settings for the sake of training. I've set them to grant an extend every 200k, so that I can conceivably get a few more extends and make a little more progress without resorting to credit feeding. But those extra lives will be removed once I have a good handle on all of the stages (a task as far from me now as the earth is from the sun.) I believe the CAS Final Fight defaults to difficulty 4. I don't remember which setting the beat em up bundle uses, but I think it's 4 as well. They both default to a single extend and then nothing, IIRC. The way I look at it, it's better for me to change the dips to provide more resources than to lower the actual difficulty. I don't want to learn a version of the game where enemy behavior might be different.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/ ... s-included

There's a new patch. Nothing big here. Guess it's cool there's some level of support still happening.
CRP

Post by CRP »

25% off sale on switch now

Also 50% on Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection
MJR

Post by MJR »

I've been playing Forgotten Worlds lately on Stadium, and I noticed that the same difficulty thing cockup also happens in this game as I documented happened on Section Z. I used to be able to 1cc Forgotten Worlds quite often in the Capcom Classics Collection, and the difficulty level is certainly through the roof on the Stadium version. I can even get past Mesketit on one credit (!)

Which means that the score attack mode kind of stinks in Stadium. I tried to play the time attack, and it stank even more, since the satellite gets devoured quite quickly in higher difficulty levels. Getting through the last part of the game without satellite you wont ever be able to get back, since just getting powered up laser costs 80K is just no fun.

Still I did that, and final insult was that simply fooling through the game on time attack gets you 100K caspo! So the game actually rewards you many times more just by credit feeding through time attack, rather than rewarding you from your skill.
I tried time attack Strider Hiryu for a change, and I also noticed it being on noticeably more difficult, yet credit feeding through it gave me another 100K caspo.

So forget about score attack and time attack then. At least you can still adjust the difficulty settings on options, just forget about that CASPO rubbish, which doesn't belong to the original games anyway.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

MJR wrote:I've been playing Forgotten Worlds lately on Stadium, and I noticed that the same difficulty thing cockup also happens in this game as I documented happened on Section Z. I used to be able to 1cc Forgotten Worlds quite often in the Capcom Classics Collection, and the difficulty level is certainly through the roof on the Stadium version. I can even get past Mesketit on one credit (!)

Which means that the score attack mode kind of stinks in Stadium. I tried to play the time attack, and it stank even more, since the satellite gets devoured quite quickly in higher difficulty levels. Getting through the last part of the game without satellite you wont ever be able to get back, since just getting powered up laser costs 80K is just no fun.

Still I did that, and final insult was that simply fooling through the game on time attack gets you 100K caspo! So the game actually rewards you many times more just by credit feeding through time attack, rather than rewarding you from your skill.
I tried time attack Strider Hiryu for a change, and I also noticed it being on noticeably more difficult, yet credit feeding through it gave me another 100K caspo.

So forget about score attack and time attack then. At least you can still adjust the difficulty settings on options, just forget about that CASPO rubbish, which doesn't belong to the original games anyway.
Yeah the difficulty on the Time or Score challenge is customized. I don't see the problem with that.

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
MJR

Post by MJR »

Leandro wrote:
MJR wrote:I've been playing Forgotten Worlds lately on Stadium, and I noticed that the same difficulty thing cockup also happens in this game as I documented happened on Section Z. I used to be able to 1cc Forgotten Worlds quite often in the Capcom Classics Collection, and the difficulty level is certainly through the roof on the Stadium version. I can even get past Mesketit on one credit (!)

Yeah the difficulty on the Time or Score challenge is customized. I don't see the problem with that.

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
The problem that you don't see there is that score attack is supposed to be all about getting best possible score on default difficulty - this is what all the highscores in the highscore section [here in shmups forum] is about, and what it is about on all the hamster releases. The problem is that some of the game roms on Capcom arcade stadium are not set on normal default difficulty. And this is quite likely a mistake. They should not be on some "custom" difficulty. This was already discussed earlier on this thread.

I also purchased the Stadium 2, there some of the roms seemed to be easier on score attack than what I remember being the normal difficulty setting. Can't confirm this, but I never remember being able to go straight to the 7th opponent on SF alpha zero 3 - because I suck in those games! Black Tiger I have played extensively on other Capcom arcade collections, the score attack was definitely on easier mode here.
SPM

Post by SPM »

individual titles in CAS2 now 50% off (only Switch and PS4)

2 bucks, like the original prices in CAS1
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
velo

Post by velo »

SPM wrote:individual titles in CAS2 now 50% off (only Switch and PS4)

Thanks for the heads up. The whole package was 25% off just a week ago. Guess it still wasn't moving. Even this thread is still mostly talking about the CAS1 games.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

If they had rolled it into the original Stadium like it should have been, and ever bothered to address input lag on PS4 with the first release, maybe people would have GAF!
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Man, Street Fighter Alpha 2 and 3 are counter stopped on the Steam version. I wonder if it's possible or some kind of cheat.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Leandro wrote:Man, Street Fighter Alpha 2 and 3 are counter stopped on the Steam version. I wonder if it's possible or some kind of cheat.
Quite sad to think of anyone cheating score in a fighting game. WGAF?
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Jonpachi wrote:
Leandro wrote:Man, Street Fighter Alpha 2 and 3 are counter stopped on the Steam version. I wonder if it's possible or some kind of cheat.
Quite sad to think of anyone cheating score in a fighting game. WGAF?
If it's sad or not, it's irrelevant. I just wondered how he could do that in those specific games.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

If your score can be uploaded after someone challenges you, it would be as simple as pressing P2 start and beating up the other character over & over. You could even write a script to do it for you overnight.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

More than likely those are hacked or cheated scores. Top 1P scores in Alpha 2 would be like 3 mill. I think there is a counter stop possible in 3. Possibly a glitch with certain characters? Still my bet would be those are just cheats.

Perfect high score play in fighting games is a rare and pretty crazy thing to see. It's complete AI manipulation and memo patterns with pretty much no improv or playing like a normal person. You can memorize damage amounts to reach draw game time overs for point milking and only use specific attacks that will mathematically give you the highest score per round. If you think high score play on shmups is niche? lol
velo

Post by velo »

SPM wrote:individual titles in CAS2 now 50% off (only Switch and PS4)

They're all down to 1.99 now, non-sale price. .99 sale will probably be along eventually.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Well, well, well..

Looks like Capcom arcade stadium has been quietly patched; if you now play EN rom of Section Z, the level bosses die with just few hits, just as they should. :)
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Which version
MJR

Post by MJR »

bigbadboaz wrote:Which version
Please reread my post :roll: