Shmup books

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
comanche156

Shmup books

Post by comanche156 »

Greetings, Are there any awesome shmup books (art or otherwise) still in print that come highly recommended? The only ones I'm familiar with are the 2 from hardcore gaming (and Pixellence and a couple from Cave, which are all out of print). Thank you!
djsheep

Re: Shmup books

Post by djsheep »

Shooting Gameside Magazine
guigui

Post by guigui »

This might be the time or never to mention the Deluxe Guide for Super Aleste :
https://www.ecureuilnoir.fr/guides-comp ... 03218.html

This guide has been written by Yace, a french fellow shmupper, who unfortunately died this june 2020. The guide was released afterwards, and all benefits go to his family.
Yace was certainly one of the best, if not the best, player of Super Aleste around the world. This hardcover guide has many details about strategy, scoring, history of the game. I own it and can confirm this is a very nice piece of books, written with love for the game.

Drawback is that the guide is written in French (if anyone of you is mad enough to translate its 100 pages, go ahead) and I am not sure if the publisher will ship anywhere. Worth asking if you are interested.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

I've got supercade book and the new ones on order
Beautiful books with full size pics, half the book probably shmups

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

I have some "HG 101" shoot-em up books that are fun. Nice screens, fun write ups.
There's one directly on shoot-em ups, and there's one on Konami (and others).

I also have Darius Odyssey. It's in Japanese, but the pics and the bosses are awesome. I think I got it for cheaper though, it looks pretty pricey here.
https://www.amazon.com/DARIUS-ODYSSEY-K ... 4047293067
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

MommysBestGames wrote:I have some "HG 101" shoot-em up books that are fun. Nice screens, fun write ups.
There's one directly on shoot-em ups, and there's one on Konami (and others).

I also have Darius Odyssey. It's in Japanese, but the pics and the bosses are awesome. I think I got it for cheaper though, it looks pretty pricey here.
https://www.amazon.com/DARIUS-ODYSSEY-K ... DARIUS-ŒöŽ[REGISTERED SIGN]ÝèŽ-¿W/dp/4047293067
$95 jeez, is this the book that's on the PS4 disc?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
CricketyJimit

Post by CricketyJimit »

Not shmup specific but the classic gaming art books at bitmapbooks.co.uk seem really nice.