Trouble about Thunderforce VI

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
oughtibe

Trouble about Thunderforce VI

Post by oughtibe »

Hello,
I've had quite a few Thunderforce hits this week, I just won 3, AC and 5 to 1CC. So now my eyes are looking at a copy of chapter 6. 192.168.1.1
I heard and observed that this wasn't very well received when it was first released. It looks good enough in the videos, and it's fun to see some old bosses come back, but it seems a little simple. 192.168.l.l
Graphically, it's an average, but definitely a striking step up from the absolutely disgusting PS1 release of the 5th episode I just came out. Do you have any opinion on this topic? It goes for ~ $ 75 in the used market right now, so I'm in doubt about using a copy before I learn more. routerlogin
I would be glad if you answer.
Last edited by oughtibe on Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sturmvogel Prime

Re: Trouble about Thunderforce VI

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Hope this review helps you, but I'm sure you're gonna enjoy the game.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=52009
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Its... okay-ish? It doesn't have too many new ideas in it and recycles a lot of stuff, past the point of homage.

If you want more Thunderforce then IV is definitely the way to go.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I had the same reservations, and recently picked up a copy of VI. It's definitely a 7/10 but it's still a fun ride. It wants to be a "greatest hits" of the series, but does come up short to be sure. It's kinda like a fan-hack of part V with some call-backs to previous bosses and locations. It's quite easy on the default difficulty, so I'd peg this as a Lazy Sunday Shmup - that sort of game you pop in for a breezy little nostalgia trip, but nothing you're going to tattoo in your brain as a true classic.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Matsunaga

Post by Matsunaga »

I like VI, sure it’s easy and not super exciting, but it’s fun for a while. I actually haven’t played it in a decade, time to go back to it. I just started playing R-Type Final again, it’s actually aged well. Much better than I remember.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Have you tried to 1CC TFIV yet though? That one is an absolute classic, though admittedly a little harder than III, AC and V (and VI obviously).
Then you can have an easy ride with Thunder Spirits, mainly because of the slowdown throughout, before suffering the mix of adrenaline and pain of TFII.

Possibly the hardest 1CC of them all though has to go to the original TFII for the Sharp X68000. That one is far, far above my skill level (AC is about my limit it seems).

Great series, I would snap up a collection like the Darius Cozmic Collections in an instant.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

oughtibe wrote:Graphically, it's an average, but definitely a striking step up from the absolutely disgusting PS1 release of the 5th episode I just came out. Do you have any opinion on this topic? It goes for ~ $ 75 in the used market right now, so I'm in doubt about using a copy before I learn more.
First time I see someone prefer VI over V. V is best entry in my opinion, game is challenging without the broken Free Range, and the OST is among the best of STG soundtrack.

$75 is too much for this game really. Unless you are going for high score in Maniac mode, which might give you little bit of play time.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

copy-paster wrote:
oughtibe wrote:Graphically, it's an average, but definitely a striking step up from the absolutely disgusting PS1 release of the 5th episode I just came out. Do you have any opinion on this topic? It goes for ~ $ 75 in the used market right now, so I'm in doubt about using a copy before I learn more.
First time I see someone prefer VI over V. V is best entry in my opinion, game is challenging without the broken Free Range, and the OST is among the best of STG soundtrack.
Maybe he's referring to the graphics, not the gameplay itself? TFV PS1 is well known for having vastly inferior graphics to the Saturn version.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Jonpachi wrote: It wants to be a "greatest hits" of the series, but does come up short to be sure.
I think you've got to come to it with this in mind ... it's not a sequel it's a fan tribute. Not bad at all, but not exactly the swansong or culmination of the series. One for only collectors imho, you're not going to sell anyone on the genre/series with 6.

If you want a horizontal game that holds up on ps2 and is a perfect swansong for it's series jump on gradius V ... should be cheap too.