What is the best version of this shmup thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: What is the best version of this shmup thread

Post by BIL »

BrianC wrote:I know it's not the Konami code, at least. I looked up the code and couldn't find much, but did find a post that said unlocking the bubble system in the western PS4 versions had to do with loading the games a certain number of times. If I remember correctly, one game is 5 times, another game is 7 times, and the third one is three times.

edit: I remembered correctly. JP version 5 times, US version 7 times, EU version 3 times. Honestly, it's not worth it. Not to mention the pain of waiting to play it with non skippable loading screens at start up.
Haha, good ol' 573! Gotch seem to have a thing for Konami Easter eggs. Albeit an inconsistent thing, with their ACA Twinbee having ROM and Bubble System versions right there at the start menu. >_> Good to know, thanks!
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

BIL wrote:
fireflame wrote:For example, I have Gradius on Konami Arcade Classic version.I could get its pc engine or its nes counterpart, but I am nt sure it is worth it, nor which version is the most acccessible.
The same could be said about Gradius 2, whose Arcade and Pc engine versions look very close.
As a rule of thumb, I divide "arcade accurate" conversions (= an attempt to reproduce the arcade game as closely as possible), which became commonplace from the PS1/Saturn onward, from the "console interpretations" typically seen on the Famicom/Master System/MSX.

Salamander Deluxe Pack (PS1/SAT)'s conversion of the original game is reasonably close to the PCB. Famicom Salamander is a largely original game with several new stages and enemies. PCE Salamander looks like the arcade game, but is extensively retooled and is best described as an "Arrange Mode." I own all three, plus the Arcade Archives (PS4) Salamander, which is a straight emulation. All four have their uses, but if you just want the AC game? Go with Arcade Archives. If you think the AC game's tatty and rough-edged? Try out the PCE version, it's widely regarded as definitive. Etc etc.

This generational pattern repeats with several prominent STGs, like Gradius, Gradius II and Image Fight, all of which have FC, PCE, PS/SS and PS4 versions. (avoid FC Image Fight, it's utterly bland. Go with PCE ver instead, for an almost self-parodic memoriser skull-crusher. :wink:)

Naturally, the 16bit consoles are somewhere in the middle for accuracy/interpretation. This is an excellent thread on the matter.
What a superb old thread, thnxfor link

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Not we got access to so many versions of each game this thread more relevant than ever

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk