Top 25 8/16bit retro shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dmk1198

Top 25 8/16bit retro shmups

Post by dmk1198 »

Spin of from robs top SNES thread, someone posted
"If you want my honest opinion, I'd love it if we did a retro console version of the "Top 25 Shmups" thing. You know, all the 8-bit and 16-bit consoles, as well as the prominant handhelds of the time and the GBA (as it's essentially a slightly souped-up SNES in handheld form). Personally, I rarely play newer shmups and I just don't get into the Do Don Pachi's and Batsugan's of the genre the way I get into the old-school home console games. Anyone can say what they want, but for my tastes, nothing beats wasting away an afternoon playing games of this generation."

I'd luv to see this list

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
copy-paster

Re: Top 25 8/16bit retro shmups

Post by copy-paster »

[25] Salamander (PC Engine)
[24] Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou (PCE CD-ROM)
[20] Parodius DA! (SFC)

[15] Crisis Force
[15] Gradius II
[10] Gradius III

[8] Soldier Blade
[5] Summer Carnival '92: Recca
[3] Gradius: The Interstellar Assault
[1] Silver Surfer
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

copy-paster wrote:[25] Salamander (PC Engine)
[24] Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou (PCE CD-ROM)
[20] Parodius DA! (SFC)

[15] Crisis Force
[15] Gradius II
[10] Gradius III

[8] Soldier Blade
[5] Summer Carnival '92: Recca
[3] Gradius: The Interstellar Assault
[1] Silver Surfer
Not heard of silver surfer nice1

copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

It's a euroshmup released on NES, with japanese STG style!

Big hitbox and methodical gameplay a la R-Type, be sure to set a turbo button for this one. Also one of very few NES shmup with high score ranking.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

copy-paster wrote:It's a euroshmup released on NES, with japanese STG style!

Big hitbox and methodical gameplay a la R-Type, be sure to set a turbo button for this one. Also one of very few NES shmup with high score ranking.
Wicked deffo playing that!

To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Genesis:
Thunderforce III
Thunderforce IV
Elemental Master
Gleylancer
MUSHA

SNES:
R-Type 3
Axelay

PC Engine:
Spriggan
Sapphire
Gate of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
Blazing Lazers
Super Star Soldier (Some balancing issues, still fun)
Soldier Blade
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

To Far Away Times wrote:Genesis:
Thunderforce III
Thunderforce IV
Elemental Master
Gleylancer
MUSHA

SNES:
R-Type 3
Axelay

PC Engine:
Spriggan
Sapphire
Gate of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
Blazing Lazers
Super Star Soldier (Some balancing issues, still fun)
Soldier Blade
Good list that cheers

Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I'm not including games I only know by reputation, Neo Geo (some try to argue it's 16-bit) or arcade games (except kinda one). I owned a TG-16 but have never gotten into its import scene, same with Genesis. Thankfully Wii/Wii U Virtual Console have given me access to some of those games. I never owned an SMS, so despite loving Compile I can't comment on titles like Power Strike.

1. Space Mega Force (SNES) - Best looking, best sounding, and with wild mode, it gets super intense. The crown jewel.

2. R-Type (Amiga) - Near arcade perfect, beats out other versions for the incredible Chris Huelsbeck intro theme.

3. Thunder Force AC (Arc/Gen) -Cheating a little. But AC, which I love, is a slightly modified TF III, which I've not played.

4. Blazing Lazers (TG-16) - Belongs in any best ever convo, imo.

5. Pocky & Rocky (SNES) - I should play the sequel some day.

6. Ordyne (TG-16) - I don't know why I love this goofy game, it's just got this weird deeply emotional vibe somehow.

7. Gradius III (SNES) - Slowdown, sprite flicker, and awesomeness, all in one cart!

8. Soldier Blade (TG-16) - This game is super solid, I'm never sure why some put it in GOAT territory though.

9. Gates of Thunder (TG-CD) - Lords gets all the talk, but this, while derivative, I like better.

10. Fantasy Zone (SMS) - Loved the NES version, and this one's even better.

11. The Guardian Legend (NES) - Some might object since it's only half shmup, but it's a really good half.

12. UN Squadron (SNES) - Most lists have this top 3 on SNES.

13. Gley Lancer (Mega Drive JP) - Thank you, Virtual Console. Love this game.

14. Gaiares (Gen) - The visuals and weapon variety still impress me to this day.

15. Lords of Thunder (TG-16) - I might rank it higher if I ever stuck with it long enough to muscle my way to the end.

16. Side Arms (TG-16) - My favourite of the Capcom jetpack trilogy.

17. M.U.S.H.A. (Gen) - Even as a huge Compile fan, I don't quite get the fervour over this one, but it's still really good.

18. Gyruss (NES) - Makes my list solely for being the first shmup I ever 1cced.

19. Zanac (NES) - So far ahead of its time.

20. Life Force (NES) - Still the archetypal template in my mind for "epic AAA shooter."

21. Thunder Force IV (Gen) - Some worship this game. I think it's really good, but AC's my jam.

22. Firepower 2000 (SNES) - AKA Super SWIV AKA Super Silk Worm IV AKA fucking fantastic.

23. Jackal (NES) - Jeeps. Why are there no jeep shmups anymore?

24. Darius Twin (SNES) - It makes the list for the epic Zuntata soundtrack alone.

25. Xenon II - Megablast (Amiga) - Time has revealed this to be kind of a crummy game, but it still has one of the most hype theme songs in gaming history, which makes it more interesting than Aero Blasters or whatever.

I have R-Type III coming this week, which I can imagine making the list, but I haven't played it yet. I've never gelled with Axelay, but if I ever get back on the grind with that I might well come around to it. Macross for Super Famicom is probably making it into my next purchase, it looks amazing, but I've never played it. I'd love to get SFC Spriggan but it's stupid expensive.

Atari 7800 Asteroids is another fringe candidate that could've made the list, but pretty much all my experience is with the 2600 version. I love Galaga, but I've never played any of the home console versions so I didn't put that on here either.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Sengoku Strider wrote:I'm not including games I only know by reputation, Neo Geo (some try to argue it's 16-bit) or arcade games (except kinda one). I owned a TG-16 but have never gotten into its import scene, same with Genesis. Thankfully Wii/Wii U Virtual Console have given me access to some of those games. I never owned an SMS, so despite loving Compile I can't comment on titles like Power Strike.

1. Space Mega Force (SNES) - Best looking, best sounding, and with wild mode, it gets super intense. The crown jewel.

2. R-Type (Amiga) - Near arcade perfect, beats out other versions for the incredible Chris Huelsbeck intro theme.

3. Thunder Force AC (Arc/Gen) -Cheating a little. But AC, which I love, is a slightly modified TF III, which I've not played.

4. Blazing Lazers (TG-16) - Belongs in any best ever convo, imo.

5. Pocky & Rocky (SNES) - I should play the sequel some day.

6. Ordyne (TG-16) - I don't know why I love this goofy game, it's just got this weird deeply emotional vibe somehow.

7. Gradius III (SNES) - Slowdown, sprite flicker, and awesomeness, all in one cart!

8. Soldier Blade (TG-16) - This game is super solid, I'm never sure why some put it in GOAT territory though.

9. Gates of Thunder (TG-CD) - Lords gets all the talk, but this, while derivative, I like better.

10. Fantasy Zone (SMS) - Loved the NES version, and this one's even better.

11. The Guardian Legend (NES) - Some might object since it's only half shmup, but it's a really good half.

12. UN Squadron (SNES) - Most lists have this top 3 on SNES.

13. Gley Lancer (Mega Drive JP) - Thank you, Virtual Console. Love this game.

14. Gaiares (Gen) - The visuals and weapon variety still impress me to this day.

15. Lords of Thunder (TG-16) - I might rank it higher if I ever stuck with it long enough to muscle my way to the end.

16. Side Arms (TG-16) - My favourite of the Capcom jetpack trilogy.

17. M.U.S.H.A. (Gen) - Even as a huge Compile fan, I don't quite get the fervour over this one, but it's still really good.

18. Gyruss (NES) - Makes my list solely for being the first shmup I ever 1cced.

19. Zanac (NES) - So far ahead of its time.

20. Life Force (NES) - Still the archetypal template in my mind for "epic AAA shooter."

21. Thunder Force IV (Gen) - Some worship this game. I think it's really good, but AC's my jam.

22. Firepower 2000 (SNES) - AKA Super SWIV AKA Super Silk Worm IV AKA fucking fantastic.

23. Jackal (NES) - Jeeps. Why are there no jeep shmups anymore?

24. Darius Twin (SNES) - It makes the list for the epic Zuntata soundtrack alone.

25. Xenon II - Megablast (Amiga) - Time has revealed this to be kind of a crummy game, but it still has one of the most hype theme songs in gaming history, which makes it more interesting than Aero Blasters or whatever.

I have R-Type III coming this week, which I can imagine making the list, but I haven't played it yet. I've never gelled with Axelay, but if I ever get back on the grind with that I might well come around to it. Macross for Super Famicom is probably making it into my next purchase, it looks amazing, but I've never played it. I'd love to get SFC Spriggan but it's stupid expensive.

Atari 7800 Asteroids is another fringe candidate that could've made the list, but pretty much all my experience is with the 2600 version. I love Galaga, but I've never played any of the home console versions so I didn't put that on here either.
That's a great list, did xenon get a SNES release?

heli

Post by heli »

That Blazing Lazers have the background scolling and not the bullets, i cant play.
More games have that, i dont play those.
Sengoku Strider

dmk1198 wrote:That's a great list, did xenon get a SNES release?
Nope. It did get a Mega Drive port, but the music was trash tbh so don't bother. There was also a homebrew Jaguar version that showed up a couple of years ago; they got the blessing of the Bitmap Brothers, but they didn't use the Bomb the Bass music so presumably that wasn't obtainable.

TBH outside the Amiga the most impressive version to me is the Master System port. I mean, I don't know that it's actually good, but it might well be the most visually remarkable pure 8-bit game I've ever seen:

https://youtu.be/-67qFQlsPJo
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Sengoku Strider wrote: TBH outside the Amiga the most impressive version to me is the Master System port. I mean, I don't know that it's actually good, but it might well be the most visually remarkable pure 8-bit game I've ever seen:
It's a smokescreen, don't fall for It. It does an excellent job as "awe" for the first two minutes of gameplay, using the master System to replicate an initial visual presentation. Then It comes reality: completely altered stages layout, same boss recurring at each level, missing enemy sprites, countless of graphic tiles and so on. Visually charming as long as you don't press the fire button and see half things on screen magically disappear and overall speed halved.

The megadrive port Is lacking a couple of weapons and the entire final stage but trust me, in comparison to this one It's the sistine chapel.
X - P - B
Sengoku Strider

Turrican wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote: TBH outside the Amiga the most impressive version to me is the Master System port. I mean, I don't know that it's actually good, but it might well be the most visually remarkable pure 8-bit game I've ever seen:
It's a smokescreen, don't fall for It. It does an excellent job as "awe" for the first two minutes of gameplay, using the master System to replicate an initial visual presentation. Then It comes reality: completely altered stages layout, same boss recurring at each level, missing enemy sprites, countless of graphic tiles and so on. Visually charming as long as you don't press the fire button and see half things on screen magically disappear and overall speed halved.

The megadrive port Is lacking a couple of weapons and the entire final stage but trust me, in comparison to this one It's the sistine chapel.
Alright, well if Turrican himself has an opinion about a EuroShmup, I guess I'd better listen.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

They were dissected not too long ago in this thread :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56414
X - P - B
To Far Away Times

heli wrote:That Blazing Lazers have the background scolling and not the bullets, i cant play.
More games have that, i dont play those.
Definitely the weakest aspect of the game, but everything else is quite good. Soldier Blade is a very similar game with proper scrolling if I recall correctly (its been a few years...)

To take it even further:

ChoRenSha 68K just has a short repeating background for the whole game but levels are very distinct even without real backgrounds and everything else like the music and stage layouts are best of the best type quality. The looping background kept me from giving it a shot for years but when I finally did it instantly jumped into my all time favorites.

On second thought, does the Sharp 68K count as a 16 bit machine? Its very similar to Capcom's Arcade CPS hardware from that era.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I'd be surely more at home in a thread like this than in the regular annual poll, which I guess I've been avoiding for more than a decade by now.

However, the "bit" and "generations" things are a bit muddled. A game is good or bad independently from those criteria. And there's the issue of arcade ports (which generated on far higher specs than the machines that run them at home) vs original content created for consumer home computer and video game console hardware, which had always its own set of obstacles to overcome.

In the end, a list I'd compile for such a thread would be virtually identical to the list I swore by in the official thread :)
X - P - B
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

Genesis:
M.U.S.H.A
Darius II aka Sagaia
Truxton
Thunder Force 3
Steel Empire
Gaiares
Biohazard Battle

SNES:
U.N. Squadron aka Area 88 (great port!)
Gradius III
R-Type 3 - The Third Lightning
Super R-Type (yes, slowdowns, but cool and superb soundtrack)
Space Mega Force aka Super Aleste
Axelay
Parodius Da!
Gokujou parodius
Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius
Aerofighters aka Sonic Wings

TG-16 / PC Engine:
Gradius
Gradius II - Gofer no Yabo (amazing port!)
Star Parodier (amazing cute'em up!)
R-Type (great port too)
Soldier Blade
Super Star Soldier
Gate of Thunder
Blazing Lazers

That's all folks!
To Far Away Times

Turrican wrote:I'd be surely more at home in a thread like this than in the regular annual poll, which I guess I've been avoiding for more than a decade by now.

However, the "bit" and "generations" things are a bit muddled. A game is good or bad independently from those criteria. And there's the issue of arcade ports (which generated on far higher specs than the machines that run them at home) vs original content created for consumer home computer and video game console hardware, which had always its own set of obstacles to overcome.

In the end, a list I'd compile for such a thread would be virtually identical to the list I swore by in the official thread :)
Check out the results from 2002:
viewtopic.php?p=12784#12784

Thunderforce III all the way up at number 2? Axelay, MUSHA, Gate of Thunder and Soldier Blade all in the Top 15? This is more to my taste.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

To Far Away Times wrote: Check out the results from 2002
Two decades ago the genre had already said everything It needed to. In noir terms, we were already way past the Touch of Evil point. People had these games fresher in their memories and also often in their weekly training routines.

It goes without saying that an annual poll rots and dacays just like the genre It's based on.
X - P - B
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

To Far Away Times wrote: ChoRenSha 68K just has a short repeating background for the whole game but levels are very distinct even without real backgrounds and everything else like the music and stage layouts are best of the best type quality. The looping background kept me from giving it a shot for years but when I finally did it instantly jumped into my all time favorites.

On second thought, does the Sharp 68K count as a 16 bit machine? Its very similar to Capcom's Arcade CPS hardware from that era.
OMG I forgot this game! Thanks for reminding me :P This shit is [25] tier for me.

I think it makes sense why the background is the same for entire game, if you see the ending of first loop you can see why. It also makes bullets more clearer to see.
Sengoku Strider

To Far Away Times wrote: Check out the results from 2002:
viewtopic.php?p=12784#12784

Thunderforce III all the way up at number 2? Axelay, MUSHA, Gate of Thunder and Soldier Blade all in the Top 15? This is more to my taste.
That's actually a pretty kickass list. Around 12-14 of those would still make my overall top 25 today, along with a couple from the honourable mentions. Love to see the recognition of SNES Gradius III. TF III over IV I agree with, but thought I was in the minority on.
Turrican wrote:They were dissected not too long ago in this thread :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56414
That thread's a really good read, lots of great info in that, thx.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Turrican wrote:I'd be surely more at home in a thread like this than in the regular annual poll, which I guess I've been avoiding for more than a decade by now.

Can u post link to that post? I'd love to read it cheers
Great games you guys have posted cheers, the memories flooding back
From back room of video shops in the late 70, early 80 playing defender/space invaders
Loved the Amiga
Then master system and SNES
Deffo always the shmups and racing games that got my time
But so many gaps in my knowledge
Never owned pc engine or even megadrive, but did import PS1 from Japan day1 and it came with paradius and ridge Racer, probably my best gaming memories if I'm wearing rose tinted specs

Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Ahah, you got me curious about which annual poll I voted last. But not curious enough to pass to comb all the search results :lol:

But I found this one from 2007 and I would change little about It...

viewtopic.php?p=216689#p216689
X - P - B
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

I did comb last two years but noticed after u saying you don't vote
Thnx pal u got great tadtey

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Taste!

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Haha brilliant cheers, so many shmups so little time, helps sort wheat from chaff
Do luv a list me