Rayxanber FM Towns

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Lo-Res

Rayxanber FM Towns

Post by Lo-Res »

Hey guys,

I've been playing Rayxanber and the title screen is in full screen but once the game starts there are black bars on the Left and Right of the screen. Is there any way to make the game play full screen? I'm playing on original hardware.

also, does anybody know of a stage select code for this game? I'm stuck near the end of stage 3 and would be nice to pratice stage 3 without having to re-do the first 2 stages lol
SuperDeadite

Re: Rayxanber FM Towns

Post by SuperDeadite »

Black bars are normal. No lo-res option in that game. As for the difficulty, no shortcuts just get good. Stage 3 is easy compared to later stages. Charged green weapon is op as fuck if you haven't realized it yet... Took me only a wek to 1cc the game. Quite doable.
Lo-Res

Post by Lo-Res »

SuperDeadite wrote:Black bars are normal. No lo-res option in that game. As for the difficulty, no shortcuts just get good. Stage 3 is easy compared to later stages. Charged green weapon is op as fuck if you haven't realized it yet... Took me only a wek to 1cc the game. Quite doable.
lol thanks for the tip. I did realise the charged up green weapon was really good after using it to kill the 2nd boss. This is only the 2nd shooter I’ve ever really played. I started off with Gate of Thunder and now Rayxanber. I know I can do stage 3 I just need a little more practice towards the end of the stage after the 2nd set of balls!
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Late stages get rather crazy, quite a lot of neat experimentation in this game.

Spoilers
https://youtu.be/6T3hPpOwMG0
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

The first Rayxamber is certainly an unusual shmup and I'm not sure its ideas quite work in practice. I love its chilled soundtrack though.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

I feel Ray1 is the best of the series. It has 8 stages instead of 6 in the sequals. Each stage is totally different with unique ideas. Using the speed boost and weapons effectively is critical to win. Only real issue is final stage requires you to memorize and point blank basically everything. Lol. Turbo controller ftw.