Time Bokan

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Elaphe

Time Bokan

Post by Elaphe »

I have recently purchased a RG350M, a Chinese handheld for retro-emulation, running Opendingux. Since it's able to emulate PSX (Playstation 1), I've had the opportunity to look into the catalogue of games available for this console in search of 2D arcades and specifically shoot'em ups. It's been a great surprise to find so many good games. I've always thought this was not a good console for 2D and bitmaps. I would like to comment on two games in particular which I had never heard of before. Both belong to the Time Bokan Series, based on a Japanese anime series from the 70s. The names of these two games are Time Bokan Series - Bokandesuyo and Time Bokan Series - Bokan to Ippatsu! Doronboo. I think they were also released for Saturn.

They are vertical shoot'em ups on horizontal monitor, with lots of side panning. The aesthetics is on the cute'em up side, very colourful. One peculiar aspect of these games is that we are in control of land vehicles (with several pilots and ships to choose from), so sometimes we have to avoid obstacles (or destroy them). Another thing to point out is that when we are hit, we loose your primary ship and continue with a smaller vehicle, such a motorbike (something like when Sir Arthur looses his armour). The designs of the ships, the enemies, the bosses... all look very original and imaginative. The graphics (with very detailed pixel art) and the animations are on a very high level. While playing these games I felt like I was experiencing a mixture of Parodius and Pink Sweets. Many cinematics (I suppose that from the anime series) are included. As regards gameplay, I find them very dynamic and enjoyable. I'm really having a good time playing these two games, so if you don't know them, give them a try and tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOWCnRwAgQ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcgybOYndBs

Jonpachi

Re: Time Bokan

Post by Jonpachi »

The sprite work in these games is great, perhaps some of the best of the era.

I've only own the first one, so I can't speak the sequel, but I do find them rather unbalanced. The game implements a very generous shield, and there are numerous items you can collect to refill the shield in each stage. Yet, taking direct impact damage by coming in contact with certain enemies or attacks will immediately destroy your entire shield and all power-ups, leaving you in a "last chance" state with the characters riding a tandem bike and firing weak shots.

Once in this "last chance" state, there doesn't seem to be a way to get your normal ship back, so you're stuck toughing it out for the rest of the stage. This leads to an uneven play experience where 90% of the game is fall-asleep easy, but then one slip-up and it turns to utter frustration that sucks the fun right out.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

wow, this looks wild as hell! i'll have to take a peek at this sometime.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It's been some time since I last played either of these, so please forgive any errors on my part:
Elaphe wrote:I think they were also released for Saturn.
I believe the first one was, but Desuyo is a PS1 exclusive IIRC.
Jonpachi wrote:Yet, taking direct impact damage by coming in contact with certain enemies or attacks will immediately destroy your entire shield and all power-ups, leaving you in a "last chance" state with the characters riding a tandem bike and firing weak shots.
The way I remember it working was that taking damage while preparing or carrying a bomb is what instantly resigned you to the Bicycle of Doom, while getting hit otherwise just took a notch off your life meter (and sent your craft doing crazy flips for a few moments while the villains yowled, which always amused me more than it probably ought to have). Of course, using bombs means both more damage to baddies and more scoring possibilities, so it's sort of a risk-reward thing.
Once in this "last chance" state, there doesn't seem to be a way to get your normal ship back, so you're stuck toughing it out for the rest of the stage.
I remember this even less clearly than the other stuff, but I think you could happen upon an item to get your craft back, sort of like the ambulance that eventually shows up to give you your arms back in Twinbee...I think it was an icon that looked like a cat? Definitely take this one with a grain of salt, heh.
heli

Post by heli »

You should show this one to fanatic call of duty players.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Ah thanks BulletMagnet! I was really unsure what the heck it was that was insta-killing me. I'll have to give it another go now, as I was basically running with a bomb at the ready all the time.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!