Aeon Zenith - HIGH SPEED DARK FANTASY SHOOTING

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Squire Grooktook

Aeon Zenith - HIGH SPEED DARK FANTASY SHOOTING

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Hello all! It’s been awhile since I’ve posted around here, partly because I’ve been very busy making my own shmup. I thought I’d finally post an “official” topic here to spread it around!

ImageImage
ImageImage

Aeon Zenith is a manic shooter with a goal of emphasizing fast, sweeping movement for dodging (instead of teensy tiny micro dodges) in order to generate a more exciting and oldschool feel while keeping the complexity and craziness of modern danmaku shooters. It also features a melee mechanic and a hyper system, as well as a scoring system based around speed killing enemies to unlock extra enemy waves, encouraging speed, risk/reward, and all out aggression!

Stage 1 Video Preview
Stage 2 Video Preview

Gameplay influences include Cho Ren Sha 68k, Dangun Feveron, Dragon Blaze, Strikers 1999, Eschatos, Mecha Ritz, Touhou 3, and the Gundemonium series.

We’re also striving to create a unique dark-fantasy aesthetic filled with surreal environments and elegant yet disturbing monster designs, all driven onward by a Hyakutaro and Siter Skain influenced synthy prog-rock soundtrack.

Aesthetic influences include Dragon Spirit, Dragon Saber, Metal Black, Darius, and R-Type series.

If you’re interested, you can play the current demo here

The demo is a bit rough with a lot of placeholders and numerous level design tweaks inbound, so very subject to change. Stage 1 in particular is very unfinished from the miniboss onward (have more background stuff and more polished enemy waves planned).

You can also find my development log on Twitter here
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
FRO

Re: Aeon Zenith - HIGH SPEED DARK FANTASY SHOOTING

Post by FRO »

Been following the development on Twitter for a while; I assume you've seen my podcast account aggressively "liking" your dev tweets :lol:

This looks good. I like the addition of the melee aspect, and I think it will give the basic Dragon Spirit aesthetic a new feel. I'll have to grab that demo and find some time to tool around with it.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Looks promising!
KAI

Post by KAI »

Looks fantastic, I'm loving the progress of this game. Testing the new demo right now!
Squire Grooktook

Thank you all so much! It's really encouraging to see people interested or hyped!
FRO wrote:I like the addition of the melee aspect, and I think it will give the basic Dragon Spirit aesthetic a new feel.
Thanks, I spent a LOT of time on it. Retooled the basic idea of the mechanic and how it works numerous times, and spent quite a while getting the lightning followup looking just right!

Probably one of the programming challenges I'm most proud of overcoming.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Squire Grooktook

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Ark

Post by Ark »

This is some impressive sprite work
bcass

Post by bcass »

This looks promising. Will be keeping an eye out for the eventual release.