Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DietSoap

Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021

Post by DietSoap »

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/deathsm ... and-switch

Guessing no one posted this nearly 12 hours after the fact because everyone hates DS and especially DS2. :lol:
xxx1993

Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021

Post by xxx1993 »

Everyone? I have a soft spot for those games.
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

DietSoap wrote:Guessing no one posted this nearly 12 hours after the fact because everyone hates DS and especially DS2. :lol:

Down the page : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62430&start=600
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

This is awsome news,hope it’s a great port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I liked Deathsmiles 1 despite the loli stuff. Good music and sprite work. Interesting scoring system. Deathsmiles II kinda blows.

Here's hoping this paves the way for more CAVE games though.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

DS1 is Cave's best horizontal shmup in my eyes. II is a bit of a mess, but still fun and a nice bonus to have as a single package.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
versionfiv

Post by versionfiv »

i'm definitely buying a switch now.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Deathsmiles is a masterpiece.
Leaving aside the technicalities, the character and charm are out of this world.
And of course, the castle theme is the best song ever in a shmup :wink:
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Rad; DS2 is a really fun game... despite being ugly as sin.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Still haven't played DS 2. Will this be the moment?!

Probably not. I could buy it on Xbox 360 any time if I really wanted to. But nah. Not happening.
zak

Post by zak »

Deathsmiles II is the most underrated CAVE game in my opinion. I have no idea why everyone hates it so much :shock: :?
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

I watched a DSII longplay (Xbox 360) and I liked it despite the cheesy Xmas theme. I would have prefered 2D graphics with the same atmsosphere as in DSI, but it's still good and there are nice bosses (even though not as good as in DSI). The loli stuff is not my cup of tea, but it's great to have them both on Switch, and the DSII arcade unit is near impossible to find or expensive as hell ! :lol:
versionfiv

Post by versionfiv »

zak wrote:Deathsmiles II is the most underrated CAVE game in my opinion. I have no idea why everyone hates it so much :shock: :?
i think the review on hardcore gaming 101 describes the issues articulately. i haven't played DS2 so i can't say one way or another, but from what i've read there and other places, it's fairly justified that people were disappointed with the arcade version, at least.

the issues with the arcade version seem to be somewhat if not entirely fixed in the 360 port with the new modes and options.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

re: why the Deathsmiles II hate?

I've heard that Deathsmiles II went through a ridiculous number of revisions in the arcade (true/false: the original version didn't even have a final boss, just a "To be continued?" screen?). The amount of patches/etc. probably soured people on the game if I had to take a guess.

If anything else I am interested in trying it out and not relying on decade+ old hardware + digital storefront to give it a shot.
Jonpachi wrote:DS1 is Cave's best horizontal shmup in my eyes.
Tough competition with Progear, but in the end I tend to enjoy easier games more so Deathsmiles wins atm 8)

I am only worried that this will be a straight, bare-bones transfer of the 360 port (aren't those 360 button prompts in the trailer?). I don't need nothing fancy, just a nice bit of once-over polish to iron out the bugs, and some nice practice features. Pretty please City Connection.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

versionfiv wrote:i haven't played DS2
the most common link between people who complain about it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

versionfiv wrote:i think the review on hardcore gaming 101 describes the issues articulately... with the arcade version, at least.
An articulate HG101 arcade review is like a dog turd going under a belt sander.
feels like it was designed to be an arcade game, you can forget about it being properly balanced, because enemies attack in huge numbers and the bosses litter the screen with tiny projectiles.
Rockin site for release dates though. Like a portajohn, it's frequently full of shit but never without utility.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

BIL wrote:
versionfiv wrote:i think the review on hardcore gaming 101 describes the issues articulately... with the arcade version, at least.
An articulate HG101 arcade review is like a dog turd going under a belt sander.
feels like it was designed to be an arcade game, you can forget about it being properly balanced, because enemies attack in huge numbers and the bosses litter the screen with tiny projectiles.
Rockin site for release dates though. Like a portajohn, it's frequently full of shit but never without utility.
When I was first learning the arcade ropes, there was no better resource on the internet than HG101. Why do folk always hate on the few good things we have?
BIL

Post by BIL »

As I said, I consider it an unfailingly useful website from a cataloguing standpoint. Just not on the subject of playing arcade games, where defeatist Gamespot-calibre insights like the one quoted above abound. When I were a noob I took such things seriously. "I'll have to take a beating!" I thought as I plunked down me cash for GRADIUS V, which EGM had assured me was not an expertly newbie-friendly instalment with amenities and practice tools galore, but yet another weapons-grade sodomy engine of eye-watering horsepower.

But by then, I didn't care. The way I saw it, everybody takes a beating sometime. Image
a cheat mode where you can slow down the game, play it in Japanese, make Arthur invulnerable (you will be amazed at how difficult the game is even then), or select which level to begin at. Given that the game is essentially impossible without these cheats, this is easily the best version of the game and arguably the best platformer on the console.
Oshi, similes abound 2-NITE :o Remarking that HG101 panned an arcade game is like noting your arc welder made an unsatisfactory grilled-cheese sandwich. Of course it did! That's not what it's for! :shock: Image
Last edited by BIL on Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

BIL wrote:
a cheat mode where you can slow down the game, play it in Japanese, make Arthur invulnerable (you will be amazed at how difficult the game is even then), or select which level to begin at. Given that the game is essentially impossible without these cheats, this is easily the best version of the game and arguably the best platformer on the console.
Jesus fucking christ
BIL

Post by BIL »

btw as the forum's #1 HG101 Respector I wish to emphasise it choose me, I aint choose it Image a doctor's role is to render aid, and stepping onto the battlefield with bad intel is how good men get themselves bummed into next Christmas Image

you go into that rice field thinking the sword's strong and the shuriken's weak, and the bomb is slow and the chain is hard, you're gonna be shot in the face, shot in the dick, clubbed over the head and split in half from balls to brain, as wolves drag off your remains, which will be devoured and subsequently shat out, becoming fertiliser for yet more rice. That is, whiny articles telling noobs the pc engine port is better. No hard gamer with love in his heart could stay silent. Image
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BIL wrote:An articulate HG101 arcade review is like a dog turd going under a belt sander.
A bit of obscure history for perusal at your leisure, BIL. ;)
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

The HG101 article for Deathsmiles 2 is perfectly fine. There's no defeatist whining or gross inaccuracies as far as I can tell (bear in mind it starts with the original Arcade release and then discusses the IIX port and its improvements later). Only real "dude wtf" moment is
Windia and Casper return in much the same form as before, but Rosa and Follett, despite appearing in the story, are no longer playable. Taking their places are two new allies, who do their darnedest to make prospective players even more uncomfortable with themselves than the original group did.
I honestly got no clue how anyone would be made uncomfortable by Supe. That's like... the one character in there that can be said to be 100% wholesome.

But yeah, compared to DS1 it's uglier (not that DS1 is exactly the pinnacle of game graphics here lol) and has less content (namely, fewer stages), even after the IIX additions. However, I did think some of the difficulty balance was a bit better, with the bosses and stages seeming closer to each other, compared to my experience with DS1 where it felt like the main stages, even on Level 3 (but before DEATH MODE ACTIVATION) were a breeze and honestly kinda boring sometimes compared to how rude some of the bosses could get. Though, the Extra level added to IIX mode (the Carnival) felt really dull and repetitive. Also, while I liked the boss concepts in DS2 (especially the Tall Man), I felt their bullet pattern design did feel more towards generic bullet barfing and generally had less character than DS1's boss fights.

I think what I liked the most about DS2 though is making the Targeting Magic more immediately useful; in DS1 it seems to just exist as the third hand to play in their Rock-Paper-Scissors scoring system. DS2's scoring system in general felt easier to get in to, but my memory on it is rather fuzzy now.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BulletMagnet wrote:
BIL wrote:An articulate HG101 arcade review is like a dog turd going under a belt sander.
A bit of obscure history for perusal at your leisure, BIL. ;)
No friendly fire on my watch in this vertitable INTERNET VIETNAM, BulletMagnet me old bean! Image Image Image See Clause XVIII [s3, amended 2006] of the Shumps Bro Code ;3 (not to be confused with the Shumps JO Buddy Ring, that's a different and highly classified document!)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BIL wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote: (not to be confused with the Shumps JO Buddy Ring, that's a different and highly classified document!)
Is that like the dark web version of the Ninja Task Force?
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

That is the Ninja Task Force :shock: Get your face on the board and be a bud today! :cool:

~Best Of Braves JO Buddies~
Spoiler
Last edited by BIL on Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I wish someone would make a rom hack that replaces all the loli stuff. Its a shame becuase the underlying game is quite great but I can't stand that stuff.
heli

Post by heli »

I want helicopters and airplanes only, with tanks and robots is also ok, not this japanese fantasy.
versionfiv

Post by versionfiv »

i was the same way when i was young, then i started playing Castle Shikigami 2 when it was released and ever since i've been able to accept, somewhat, the anime-heavy series. i still am put out by the robo anime girls in Dodonpachi resurrection, not to mention the full-on animeness of saidaioujou...
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Publisher City Connection and developer Cave have released a new trailer for Deathsmiles I & II, as well as confirmed that the game will support English, Japanese, French, and Spanish language options.

Additionally, the companies announced that the game will feature a collaboration with Cave-developed shoot ’em up RPG Gothic wa Mahou Otome for iOS and Android. By purchasing the downloadable content “Additional Characters: Gothic wa Mahou Otome Five Girls Set” for 2,970 yen, users will be able to play as Ranun, Cattleya, Souffle, Plumeria, and Rosalie in Deathsmiles and Deathsmiles Mega Black Label‘s “Ver 1.1” and “Normal” modes. Each girl has been tuned for Deathsmiles, and includes new voice-overs and motions.

Other new features in Deathsmiles I & II include an extensive training mode and online leaderboards. Players will be able to set the conditions of the stage and character in detail, making it easy for beginners to play, while also allowing advanced players to hone their skills. Online leaderboards offer separate rankings for each title and version.

Deathsmiles I & II is due out physically and digitally for PlayStation 4 and Switch, and digitally for Xbox One on December 16 in Japan for 5,979 yen. A “Gothic wa Mahou Otome LOVE MAX EDITION” will also be available for 9,979 yen, which includes the “Gothic wa Mahou Otome ‘Deathsmiles Respect Arrange’ Soundtrack CD” and the aforementioned Gothic wa Mahou Otome character downloadable content.

New trailer -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR8YhaEdgyA
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

So the Limited edition only comes with a soundtrack and DLC , seems quite a bit extra just for that.
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube