Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FunktionJCB

Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021

Post by FunktionJCB »

Steven wrote:Is anyone getting the PC version? It releases in a few days, and I'm thinking about getting it. I have nothing to compare it to, as I've never played any of these games, so I hope it's good. I'll wait until after it's released to see if there's a reason to get one of the other versions instead, as I still don't trust Shitty Connection.
I'm getting it. :)
Just not sure if it's going to be at launch, since everyone decided to release their games in the space of a week or so, and heavy vet bills have made a dent in my budget.

City Connection is weird.
They are capable of the best, and the worse. Their PC re-release of Guardian Force was so bad, I simply can't play it. With no exaggeration, I don't remember a shmup port on Steam with so many problems, so much lag, so many audio issues. It's a disappointing mess.
So much, that I hesitated to buy Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle + Hell because of this. And, that release (which is the latest title they released on Steam) is pretty much flawless, and they have released numerous updates, and acted on the feedback provided by making changes and adding functionalities to the PC version.

Let's see if we are getting their better side, or their worse side, with this release. :wink:
Steven

Post by Steven »

FunktionJCB wrote:
Steven wrote:Is anyone getting the PC version? It releases in a few days, and I'm thinking about getting it. I have nothing to compare it to, as I've never played any of these games, so I hope it's good. I'll wait until after it's released to see if there's a reason to get one of the other versions instead, as I still don't trust Shitty Connection.
I'm getting it. :)
Just not sure if it's going to be at launch, since everyone decided to release their games in the space of a week or so, and heavy vet bills have made a dent in my budget.

City Connection is weird.
They are capable of the best, and the worse. Their PC re-release of Guardian Force was so bad, I simply can't play it. With no exaggeration, I don't remember a shmup port on Steam with so many problems, so much lag, so many audio issues. It's a disappointing mess.
So much, that I hesitated to buy Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle + Hell because of this. And, that release (which is the latest title they released on Steam) is pretty much flawless, and they have released numerous updates, and acted on the feedback provided by making changes and adding functionalities to the PC version.

Let's see if we are getting their better side, or their worse side, with this release. :wink:
Yeah, they are weird. I have their Switch Cotton Guardian Force thing and Guardian Force, the reason that I bought it, is extremely awkward to play because of the lag. Then they put out that Layer Section demo and it seemed perfectly fine to me. I never bought it since I have it on Saturn and don't need it, but apparently the full version of the game has a glitch where you can make yourself permanently invulnerable at the beginning of stage 1. Still not sure why they specifically chose Layer Section instead of RayForce, for that matter.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Steven wrote:Still not sure why they specifically chose Layer Section instead of RayForce, for that matter.
I'd imagine because they'd already done Saturn emulation with the Cotton/Guardian Force release, and decided to build off that rather than start from scratch with Taito F3. Hardly anybody knows the differences between the two versions exist, fewer genuinely care, and pretty much the entirety of nostalgia is with the Saturn version anyway.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Deathsmiles is excellent. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

That said, I'll be skipping out on this release in general unless the price drops. I already own the Steam release of the first game, and own both on the 360. Hard to justify double and tripple dipping on these at $40.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Austin wrote:

That said, I'll be skipping out on this release in general unless the price drops. I already own the Steam release of the first game, and own both on the 360. Hard to justify double and tripple dipping on these at $40.
Yeah, I'll get it eventually, as I've heard Deathsmiles is really good. I have a lot of STGs to play right now, though, and I finally started playing the Gradius V I got a few weeks ago, so it will likely be some time before I get to Deathsmiles.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Steven wrote: ... playing the Gradius V I ...
Reading too fast, just after checking the "Treasure news" thread, and I got really excited for a brief moment. Sadness now.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Steven wrote:
Austin wrote:

Yeah, I'll get it eventually, as I've heard Deathsmiles is really good. I have a lot of STGs to play right now, though, and I finally started playing the Gradius V I got a few weeks ago, so it will likely be some time before I get to Deathsmiles.
One nice thing is that as arcade games go it's super easy, if you ever find you need a light palate cleanser.
Steven

Post by Steven »

guigui wrote:
Steven wrote: ... playing the Gradius V I ...
Reading too fast, just after checking the "Treasure news" thread, and I got really excited for a brief moment. Sadness now.
I can see why, because Gradius V is awesome! It is most unfortunate that it is stuck on a system that is plagued by interlaced video for the overwhelming majority of its games, including Gradius V. I really wish everything on PS2 wasn't on PS2 just so nobody has to put up with crappy interlaced video.
Sengoku Strider wrote:One nice thing is that as arcade games go it's super easy, if you ever find you need a light palate cleanser.
That's interesting. How easy is easy? Like Thunder Force AC with autofire Hunter easy?
subcons

Post by subcons »

Steven wrote:I can see why, because Gradius V is awesome! It is most unfortunate that it is stuck on a system that is plagued by interlaced video for the overwhelming majority of its games, including Gradius V. I really wish everything on PS2 wasn't on PS2 just so nobody has to put up with crappy interlaced video.
It looks pretty damn good at 1440p with a RetroTINK-5X Pro and a good component cable. But without the TINK, yeah, PS2 stuff generally looks pretty garbage on modern displays.
Steven

Post by Steven »

subcons wrote:
Steven wrote:I can see why, because Gradius V is awesome! It is most unfortunate that it is stuck on a system that is plagued by interlaced video for the overwhelming majority of its games, including Gradius V. I really wish everything on PS2 wasn't on PS2 just so nobody has to put up with crappy interlaced video.
It looks pretty damn good at 1440p with a RetroTINK-5X Pro and a good component cable. But without the TINK, yeah, PS2 stuff generally looks pretty garbage on modern displays.
Yeah, RT5X has an incredible deinterlacer and triple buffer mode, and those 2 things alone are great reasons to buy it. I'm playing on CRT with HD Retrovision, though, and it looks beautiful. I need to degauss it, though, as I have a decently sized spot in my upper left corner that turns yellow-green when it's supposed to be red.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Maybe Gradius V will finally get a re-release on the rumored Treasure 30th compilation...
Wet dreams.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Steven wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:One nice thing is that as arcade games go it's super easy, if you ever find you need a light palate cleanser.
That's interesting. How easy is easy? Like Thunder Force AC with autofire Hunter easy?
If you're just playing for survival and skipping the Extra stage it's on the easier end of Cave 1-ALLs, similar to a Futari BL Original. Not trivial, but people with any Cave experience should find it very achievable.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

I always like to back a Cave release with hard cash on Steam because I hope it somehow increases the chances of more, but I'm sorry - I ain't dropping close to 30 notes on a bundle where I already have one game on Steam (the better one), and the other on PS4.
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

banjoted wrote:I always like to back a Cave release with hard cash on Steam because I hope it somehow increases the chances of more, but I'm sorry - I ain't dropping close to 30 notes on a bundle where I already have one game on Steam (the better one), and the other on PS4.
I feel the same way. I suspect if it were the same publisher, we'd get a discount as Deathsmiles owners, but I understand why a different publisher isn't going to eat that.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Can someone remind me what (significant) inaccuracies DS2 has in this port?

I think I've read here or elsewhere that DS2 was missing a sound cue that is important for scoring or something. Was this patched? Did I just make it up? :oops: :lol:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

SPM wrote:Can someone remind me what (significant) inaccuracies DS2 has in this port?

I think I've read here or elsewhere that DS2 was missing a sound cue that is important for scoring or something. Was this patched? Did I just make it up? :oops: :lol:
Pretty sure it was that that PS4 version had no slowdown.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

I'm skipping it because my regional pricing for this release is awful.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Austin wrote:

Poor timing for the Steam release too, right when the sale is going on and the old port is selling for $6.99.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

There's a 20% discount this week on the Xbox version and the DLC character pack.

Main game

Character DLC
Shmups4ever

Post by Shmups4ever »

well... I'm lost now. I read the post and....

I have an xbox serie X and a PC.
Which version is the less plagued with input lags or slowdowns ? PC or xbox one ? :?: :?: :|
Steven

Post by Steven »

Oniros wrote:
I'm skipping it because my regional pricing for this release is awful.
I can't believe they want 3000 fucking yen for the DLC girls. I hate City Connection so much. These guys are on some sort of illegal drugs for sure.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

For those who bought the game: Are both Deathsmiles the arcade versions or do the ports contain any enhancements from the X360 releases?
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

I think they are just ports of the xbox 360 releases with all the same modes.

Is no one playing this on Switch?
I made it into the top 20 scores for Deathsmiles 2 X mode and I feel like I'm still learning the game.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

US physical release? Damnit, it's been so long, I forgot I already ordered this!

https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1 ... number%3D7
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

what's with the flags next to the text on the back of the box? what a strange thing to put
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

As if the game didn't have a creepy (not in a good way) vibe to it already, seeing one of the comments from the Tweet the back of the X-Box360 cover really takes it a step further.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

pulsemod wrote:what's with the flags next to the text on the back of the box? what a strange thing to put
That's how multi language releases are done. In this case, English and French.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

XtraSmiley wrote:
pulsemod wrote:what's with the flags next to the text on the back of the box? what a strange thing to put
it just stood out as odd to me for a north american release, I'd say the majority of my games have eng+french on the box and don't use european flags (or any at all)
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

pulsemod wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:
it just stood out as odd to me for a north american release, I'd say the majority of my games have eng+french on the box and don't use european flags (or any at all)
Yeah, for NA, or 'Merica as we say, they don't do that flag shit b/c everyone speaks God's language.* But yeah, those European countries always list optional languages. Maybe that's the Canadian back?

*Joking of course!
guigui

Post by guigui »

I just got my shipment notice for Switch Collector Edition of DS I-II.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.