Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hamfighterx

Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021

Post by hamfighterx »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Last round just went live, I was able to get in & buy a standard Switch edition fairly comfortably.
Still looks like decent stock almost a day later, so maybe good news. Maybe also some combination of a lower number available on the first batch of preorders (purely speculation that it's a possibility), and a lot of people who were interested being there right away on batch #1. Still, would suggest not putting it off if anyone really wants it!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I would consider it; I just don't know if this port will be any good.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

EmperorIng wrote:I would consider it; I just don't know if this port will be any good.
They did at least state it's a port from the original source code, so there's some hope it'll be good as it's at least not some junk emulation.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

hamfighterx wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:Last round just went live, I was able to get in & buy a standard Switch edition fairly comfortably.
Still looks like decent stock almost a day later, so maybe good news. Maybe also some combination of a lower number available on the first batch of preorders (purely speculation that it's a possibility), and a lot of people who were interested being there right away on batch #1. Still, would suggest not putting it off if anyone really wants it!
I wonder if the short notice played a factor. I literally only found out the day before, and only because I'm on their mailing list. I doubt the game's dropped in popularity that much, IIRC this is about as close to a mainstream title as shmups get.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is people souring on them. I can tell you my experience with them left me feeling like never giving them another penny ever. I'll stick with the Japanese version.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Not being emulated really isn't any type of guarantee there won't be input lag. I'm more worried about City Connection's lack of QA than their methods of porting the games.
At least we can always hope for the best, but I'm not daring preorder this one, I'm waiting for the post-release feedback.
SPM

Post by SPM »

For sure. But those words coming from the CEO at least give some hope.
I don't preorder regardless. That's usually an awful practice and only reasonable when they print limited physical copies based on the number of preorders (and I buy everything digital these days, so it makes no sense for me).
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Augemitbutter wrote:good price. I wonder if they will cancel any. Sounds like they didn't.
I spoke too soon. Got this in the middle of the night today. No half-price loli shooter paraphernalia here.

Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Johnpv wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is people souring on them. I can tell you my experience with them left me feeling like never giving them another penny ever. I'll stick with the Japanese version.
Honestly, the couple times I've checked they don't seem to get close to selling out on release day. I don't think it's new, the whole "drop" thing is just hype.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:
Not being emulated really isn't any type of guarantee there won't be input lag. I'm more worried about City Connection's lack of QA than their methods of porting the games.
At least we can always hope for the best, but I'm not daring preorder this one, I'm waiting for the post-release feedback.
A few of the Psikyo games were ports rather than emulation and still had lag issues.
subcons

Post by subcons »

BrianC wrote:A few of the Psikyo games were ports rather than emulation and still had lag issues.
Any idea which ones? I know Zero Gunner 2- because they just didn’t have the source code (a horrendous “port” BTW; really disappointing because I adore ZG2), but I wasn’t aware of any others.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

subcons wrote:
BrianC wrote:A few of the Psikyo games were ports rather than emulation and still had lag issues.
Any idea which ones? I know Zero Gunner 2- because they just didn’t have the source code (a horrendous “port” BTW; really disappointing because I adore ZG2), but I wasn’t aware of any others.
I love that they added a minus to the title. It's like they were saying "please don't buy this, it's a shit port."
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

subcons wrote:
Most of the Psyiko games seem to be based off the PS2 versions and definitely aren't emulations of the AC versions. Not sure about Gunbarich.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

pablumatic wrote:
Augemitbutter wrote:good price. I wonder if they will cancel any. Sounds like they didn't.
I spoke too soon. Got this in the middle of the night today. No half-price loli shooter paraphernalia here.

Kinda weird tbh. Stores make mistakes like this all the time and usually their policy is to honor the mistaken price. I can't really buy the argument that even a small company would go out of business if they "only" sold a game for $58 rather than $105.

I'm not saying they should accept millions of orders at half price, but they don't have millions of customers, do they? It was still their mistake. I'm not trying to get anything for free because I never ordered from them. It's just weird they fuck up and then opt to send a long refund message rather than honor the first 500 or so orders or something. The shit they pack in with the collector's edition doesn't look very costly to me. Stickers? Postcards? Cards? Aside from the soundtrack, this is stuff you could grab for a dollar at any store if it didn't have the deathsmiles IP attached to it (do some pictures of lolis really add $50 in value?). I say that as somebody who has a Kunio keychain...

I'm curious what their process is for creating all this tat, and how much it really costs them.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Eh, if accidentally posting the games at half price was a blatant mistake, they have no reason to honor that. You really can't fault them for going back on it.
Augemitbutter

Post by Augemitbutter »

pablumatic wrote:
oops. At least there is still time to reorder.
Sengoku Strider

Ms. Tea wrote:
Johnpv wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is people souring on them. I can tell you my experience with them left me feeling like never giving them another penny ever. I'll stick with the Japanese version.
Honestly, the couple times I've checked they don't seem to get close to selling out on release day. I don't think it's new, the whole "drop" thing is just hype.
I had just assumed we’d entered a world where scalper-bots instantly hoarded anything and everything that might be supply constrained and/or potentially valuable.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Strictly Limited doesn't normally sell out instantly. Only the first batch does then the second batch lingers. The last time I remember a rapid sellout was for their release of Ultracore for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.
Yoshinoya

Post by Yoshinoya »

There was a location test of the Switch version at Takadanobaba Mikado ! (*^ワ^*)

https://www.4gamer.net/games/531/G053199/20211126090/
- I'll buy that for a Dollar! -
Sengoku Strider

pablumatic wrote:Strictly Limited doesn't normally sell out instantly. Only the first batch does then the second batch lingers. The last time I remember a rapid sellout was for their release of Ultracore for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.
I see you're right about that, I was just able to snag Rolling Gunner as well (~30% stock left).
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

I know it's super dumb but I keep thinking about that BEEP edition with the arcade-style cardboard.

But I ordered something directly from them before and it felt touch and go, though I did eventually receive it.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
jehu

Post by jehu »

There's been a delay on the U.S. / European digital version of Deathsmiles - from December 16th delayed to December 30th.

https://city-connection.co.jp/deathsmil ... /#20211206

One big fugg-up if you ask me - who wants to play Deathsmiles 2 after Christmas has already passed? Defeats the original charm of City Connection's 2021 release lineup - Zombie Nation for Halloween, Deathsmiles for the birth of Jesus.

Anyone see any confirmation that the Japanese version will contain the English? At this point, that seems like the best workaround if you're going digital and still want to mark the holiday by taking Satan Klaws out. Last year I resigned myself to play Daze Before Christmas on the Genesis as the holiday special, but hell's gonna freeze over before I ever do that again.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Its more about the December solstice but yes, I really wanted to play DSII short before and after the holydays. I guess one has to buy the digital japanese version, right?
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

jehu wrote:There's been a delay on the U.S. / European digital version of Deathsmiles - from December 16th delayed to December 30th.

One big fugg-up if you ask me - who wants to play Deathsmiles 2 after Christmas has already passed? Defeats the original charm of City Connection's 2021 release lineup - Zombie Nation for Halloween, Deathsmiles for the birth of Jesus.

Anyone see any confirmation that the Japanese version will contain the English? At this point, that seems like the best workaround if you're going digital and still want to mark the holiday by taking Satan Klaws out. Last year I resigned myself to play Daze Before Christmas on the Genesis as the holiday special, but hell's gonna freeze over before I ever do that again.
One thing to note that you missed out. The page says:

Announcement of Change in Release Date for Nintendo Switch Version in North America and Europe

So maybe the Xbox and PS4 digital versions are still on track for Dec 16th.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

jehu wrote:There's been a delay on the U.S. / European digital version of Deathsmiles - from December 16th delayed to December 30th.

We can't even get the game in time for Christmas? Fuck COVID! And City Connection is screwing up not only with their ports but their release dates as well!
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

The Switch version is multilanguage, including English, according to the eShop listing on the Japanese store.

Agreed about the release date slippage being silly outside of Japan, wonder what the hold up is. Maybe it's the IARC ratings board.
jehu

Post by jehu »

JOY 2 DA WURRRRRRR!!!

https://youtu.be/tbm3JWU2Q3Q?t=42
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

It's out now

If anyone already has this, could you check to see if it's wrapped in Unity? You should be able to on the Switch version by pressing + on the home menu icon, then going to Intellectual Property notices, which will display all third party middleware used in developing the game.

Just curious because it's another multiplatform release, making Unity more likely in this day and age, and that will probably add some extra latency on top.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Well boys and girls, it's midnight in Tokyo and the game is officially out.

And dare I say it?! It actually feels quite responsive on the Switch. I gave both 1 and 2 both a quick crack and I haven't noticed any excessive lag. DS1 feels a lot like the Live Wire ports because of the same underlying architecture. Feels good. Honestly.

Curious to see if others are feeling the same.