Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jonpachi

Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021

Post by Jonpachi »

Any favorites so far from the cast of new characters? I'm still just bumbling around trying them all out, which is fun, but I haven't settled yet on someone to put in the time with for real.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

Deathsmiles 2 really hasn't aged well in terms of graphics compare to 1.

Hey, how does targeting work in 2? It doesn't seem as intuitive as in 1. Like I'll engage targeting but my player won't actually attack. And then in power up mode I sometimes get these blue bullets that hover around me and can do damage if I run into them. What's all this about? There's no training on the game's systems like there is for 1 that I can find.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

I guess you could say it's like a Soukyugurentai lock-on field?
When you hold down the Targeting Magic you'll get a big circle around you, and any enemies in that will get bendy-lasers thrown at them. The primary purpose of the attack in DS2 is for attacking *background enemies* for extra Score Items, as opposed to DS1 making it your third hand in the RPS scoring system.

The blue sperms will be destroyed when you do Targeting Magic in Power-Up Mode, creating an explosion trail and giving you Score Items. If you look at their tails, you'll see colored lines coming off of them (away from your character); they shift from Blue to Yellow to Red over time (after that I believe the bullet just disappears), and if you wait until the line's Red you'll get more Items.
(As for what creates the blue bullets to begin with, I believe it's just any time you kill an enemy from far enough away in Power-Up Mode)
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:I guess you could say it's like a Soukyugurentai lock-on field?
When you hold down the Targeting Magic you'll get a big circle around you, and any enemies in that will get bendy-lasers thrown at them. The primary purpose of the attack in DS2 is for attacking *background enemies* for extra Score Items, as opposed to DS1 making it your third hand in the RPS scoring system.

The blue sperms will be destroyed when you do Targeting Magic in Power-Up Mode, creating an explosion trail and giving you Score Items. If you look at their tails, you'll see colored lines coming off of them (away from your character); they shift from Blue to Yellow to Red over time (after that I believe the bullet just disappears), and if you wait until the line's Red you'll get more Items.
(As for what creates the blue bullets to begin with, I believe it's just any time you kill an enemy from far enough away in Power-Up Mode)

Thank you. I've got more of a handle on it now. I like the lock on from the first game better.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I forgot how much I liked 1.1. Once MBL came out, that's about all I played. But I've gone back to my previous favorite version, and it's a lot of fun. I really enjoy being able to control the familiar with the right stick.

That being said, this is a game that really needs a scanline option. I wish someone would come up with a HDMI scanline box.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wilsoncqb1911 wrote:Deathsmiles 2 really hasn't aged well in terms of graphics compare to 1.
This statement has to be the mother of all misuses of the term "aging well". XD

DS2's graphics had aged terribly 1 second after the game launched. In 2010.
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

I remember Deathsmiles (at least the PAL version from Rising Star Games) coming with a fantastic colour manual, packed with scoring tips, and explanations, but most impressively, packed with a lot of information about the story, setting and characters.

Does this collection include any of that information in-game?

While it's true that most players are going to be playing it for the game, I like Deathsmiles' setting and atmosphere, and feel something will be lost without the information from the manual which enrichs the presentation of the game.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Sumez wrote:
Wilsoncqb1911 wrote:Deathsmiles 2 really hasn't aged well in terms of graphics compare to 1.
This statement has to be the mother of all misuses of the term "aging well". XD

DS2's graphics had aged terribly 1 second after the game launched. In 2010.
Yeah, people's reaction to it was not good when it came out. Many "looks like Dreamcast graphics" comments.
IDruggedShamu

Post by IDruggedShamu »

Has anyone had the opportunity to play the Xbox version of this? I've read the reports of the DS IIX mode having zero slowdown on PS4, while the Switch version seemed to be better. I'm only interested in purchasing this collection once and would prefer this on the Series X, but willing to cop on Switch if it's the only version with proper IIX slowdown.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

IDruggedShamu wrote:Has anyone had the opportunity to play the Xbox version of this? I've read the reports of the DS IIX mode having zero slowdown on PS4, while the Switch version seemed to be better. I'm only interested in purchasing this collection once and would prefer this on the Series X, but willing to cop on Switch if it's the only version with proper IIX slowdown.
There's slowdown in the Arcade and Arrange modes but the IIX mode has none from what I've played so far. The game feels really nice and responsive on Series X.
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

I was pretty disappointed by the visuals in the 360 II X mode, but playing Arcade mode and it looks...fine?

They are indeed flat with little lighting and with basic and sometimes misguided texturework, but it mostly works at lower rendering resolutions. Blow it up to HD and you can see all the imperfections, but at least in arcade mode the models are mostly representations and your imagination fills in the gaps.
Ridley

Post by Ridley »

Does anybody know how to get the 1ups spawning in the stages for the 3 versions of DS II?... or what i have to do to trigger these?
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

My route in Arcade is City > Ruins > Mansion; I'm not sure if there's an extend in City. In the Ruins if you kill the last snake before the boss (the second that sticks its head up from below) with your lockshot it will drop a cake. Similarly in the Mansion, before the bookcase section there are two large nights that spawn, first on the right then the left. The second knight (which spawns on the left) will drop a cake if you kill it with your lock shot.

I'm not sure if these are still valid in the console modes.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Ridley

Post by Ridley »

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, defeating specific enemies with the lock shot.
I think i got he one in the mansion by coincidence and another one somewhere i can't remember correctly....maybe in the Maze in the X Version...
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I think it does depend what order you play the stages in - a stage that contains an extend when played third might have a bomb if played second, or nothing if played first. I'll try to dig through old DS2 release threads to see if the item drops are documented anywhere...
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Ridley

Post by Ridley »

I did this, found nothing after a while and lost my patience.... that's why i came here....
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Nobody has ever bothered to document it since the game is so absurdly easy to start with.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

EOJ said the following about secret items :
For the extra items, AFAIK they are only in the ruins stage (vertical w/ snakes) and the haunted house stage. Do ruins 3rd for a small life at the end, or 4th for a bomb. Do the haunted house 4th for a small life. Items are triggered by using lock-shot on the last large snake in the ruins, and the second phantom knight (the one that comes in from the left, right before the bookshelves section) in the haunted house stage.
http://cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?top ... 7#msg18947
harborline765 wrote:I was pretty disappointed by the visuals in the 360 II X mode, but playing Arcade mode and it looks...fine?

They are indeed flat with little lighting and with basic and sometimes misguided texturework, but it mostly works at lower rendering resolutions. Blow it up to HD and you can see all the imperfections, but at least in arcade mode the models are mostly representations and your imagination fills in the gaps.
Yeah the Arcade mode looks pretty decent! If one just reads the criticism online, they'd expect the game to look like the worst shit ever imagined. But it's not bad in the end. The lighting might be worse in the other modes though.

And the game itself is loads of fun. As far as arcade modes go, I really got into this one while the OG left me cold. The pacing is fast and frantic, the item movement/collection/visuals make sense and are very fun (the huge flashy sexy crowns bouncing into puny skulls that are somehow worth more in DS 1 will never not feel weird to me), the difficulty is not too high but you'll be wanting to play and explore the game more even after clearing anyways.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Ridley

Post by Ridley »

For the extra items, AFAIK they are only in the ruins stage (vertical w/ snakes) and the haunted house stage. Do ruins 3rd for a small life at the end, or 4th for a bomb. Do the haunted house 4th for a small life. Items are triggered by using lock-shot on the last large snake in the ruins, and the second phantom knight (the one that comes in from the left, right before the bookshelves section) in the haunted house stage.
Cool, thank you.
Acid

Post by Acid »

I can't find the DLC on the Playstation store. Is it included in the full game? Also, are the Japanese and Western versions the same?
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Acid wrote:I can't find the DLC on the Playstation store. Is it included in the full game? Also, are the Japanese and Western versions the same?
The DLC is here - https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/pro ... 5451078140.

Tho I've not dropped the money on it myself - perhaps if it goes on sale.
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

M.Knight wrote:Yeah the Arcade mode looks pretty decent! If one just reads the criticism online, they'd expect the game to look like the worst shit ever imagined. But it's not bad in the end. The lighting might be worse in the other modes though.

And the game itself is loads of fun. As far as arcade modes go, I really got into this one while the OG left me cold. The pacing is fast and frantic, the item movement/collection/visuals make sense and are very fun (the huge flashy sexy crowns bouncing into puny skulls that are somehow worth more in DS 1 will never not feel weird to me), the difficulty is not too high but you'll be wanting to play and explore the game more even after clearing anyways.
Yeah, bet it looks pretty good on a CRT especially! The lighting seems worse on the 360 HD modes - for example at the start of the haunted house level you can see the lighting pop in per vertex, not sure if that's inferior lighting or just them not adjusting the draw distance of the lighting effect for 16:9, but it just doesn't look good.

Agreed on the game as well. Arcade mode is interesting since it's a fixed difficulty, and while it's not super hard I was impressed by the boss battles and the sheer variety moving between stages.

Not that sold on arrange mode though, maybe it needs to click. Seems a bit pedestrian.

I also like how it's thematically very different to the first Deathsmiles. Yes, it's a bit naff, but it's earnestly presented and the ending in arcade mode gives me goosebumps, just the way they tie the visuals in with the music. The effect is ruined in II X mode because the music is different.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I wouldn't be surprised if most criticism of the game's visuals is based on those X360 modes which look a bit worse.

The fixed difficulty in Arcade mode is something that worked better for me because I can't try to cheese my way around it by starting some stages in level 3 and then sticking to level 2 and 1 just to ensure more chances for a clear even if the difficulty level never gets to a satisfying point lol.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
CRP

Post by CRP »

The Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 versions of Deathsmiles I・II have been released with an update patch.
The fixes are as follows.

・In the PlayStation 4 version, fixed a specification of the value that can be set in the zoom function of the screen option to the same specification as other console versions.
・Fixed a bug in which a single-player score on the 1P side was sometimes treated as the 2P side in the local rankings.
・Fixed a bug where a single-player name entry on the 1P side could appear on the 2P side.
・Fixed a bug in Deathsmiles where the button assigned to the shot could not be used to send conversations.
・Fixed a minor bugs.
https://city-connection.co.jp/deathsmiles/en/topics/
defected78

Post by defected78 »

It still has jailbar borders at the top and bottom on switch and looks like a 3DO game because of it.

The max it will go as 113% for scaling and it looks like if it could literally go 1% more they would be eliminated.
SPM

Post by SPM »

^ only in some modes. But yes, weird.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

Woke my Switch from sleep this morning and noticed a new update for Deathsmiles 1 and 2 had been installed, does anyone know what it does?

Edit: Found the patch notes. English here: https://city-connection.co.jp/deathsmil ... /#20220111
defected78

Post by defected78 »

Hopefully they fix to expand the switch screen scaling limit.
kog3100_edw

Post by kog3100_edw »

PS4 screen scaling appears fixed in update. You have to dance between full zoom and zooming the individual axes but I got all modes top and bottom edges all the way to my TV’s bezel or within a pixel or two.
Sandinista

Post by Sandinista »

Anyone else notice how dark the ps4 version of Deathsmiles 2 is ? DS1 is ok but DS 2 is really , really bad ...