Crisis Wing - Out now!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Gill

Re: Crisis Wing - Out now!

Post by Gill »

Darkseed_5150 wrote: Does the PS5 version have CRT filters?
Xbox version does at least. Looks and plays great on Xbox Series S. Can't complain at all.

It's a 6€ game and you people whine like it's the end of the world. If you call it a cashgrab just don't buy it. "Unacceptable" just because you paid a few bucks and it isn't perfect straight away... Come on, doesn't people have other games to play until they fix it? Maybe time to train for another 1CC while you wait.
Yes Boss!

Post by Yes Boss! »

Both the Switch and XBOX One release have the same CRT filter. Looks great. Been playing both versions. Switch plays great with the flip grip and even the as-of-now analog controls. Fwiw, both my HRAP and 8Bitdo controller play fine for digital.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Gill wrote:
Darkseed_5150 wrote: Does the PS5 version have CRT filters?
Xbox version does at least. Looks and plays great on Xbox Series S. Can't complain at all.

It's a 6€ game and you people whine like it's the end of the world. If you call it a cashgrab just don't buy it. "Unacceptable" just because you paid a few bucks and it isn't perfect straight away... Come on, doesn't people have other games to play until they fix it? Maybe time to train for another 1CC while you wait.
I don't think it's unacceptable to want a game that, for most intents and purposes isn't a very complicated one, to be released with working controls/button options. A shmup lives and dies by the way it controls, this is basic 101 knowledge for the genre. I agree, flipping out isn't necessary but at the same time, what would it have taken to quality check this for 5 minutes? Especially when the game HAS been around for a bit. The other notable issue on the Switch are these silly long load times. You have to sit through a very long loading screen, then have to sit through the entire unskippable intro vid before you can select anything, then wait again to actually get into the action.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

The technical issues aren't a huge problem for me as long as they get fixed eventually. I do think it's a massive shame that controls can't be mapped. The lack of dpad could have been fixed on the user end if the game gave us mappable controls. Then I could map the stick to the pad and also map shot to Y like a reasonable person.

Another pretty big obstacle to enjoying the Switch version in its present form is the slower ship speed. The more I play, the more obvious it is how much slower you move compared to footage I've seen of the game elsewhere. My ship literally flies too slow to collect power-up items if the power-ups are moving away from me. A floating power-up is faster than my ship. Or nearly the same speed. It's crazy. :o

I love the visual style and music, but this game is way too difficult to be playing with any kind of technical impediment. It makes deaths feel like BS.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Unlike the issues with the Switch port of Crisis Wing, on the Microsoft Series X/S platform, it has the usual CRT shader options + tate (but no scanline options) from the get-go. You can choose to use either analog stick or d-pad (assuming if you're using the Series X/S 1st-party controller setup). CW demands the use of an old-school arcade stick setup for that proper 1990s Toaplan inspired gameplay/game controls-wise. Getting to the TLB certainly gives a subtle nod/tribute towards Cave Co. Ltd. (in the sheer quantity of bullets & bullet patterns released towards the player making for quite a challenge to dodge/weave through). An ace stg through & through in my book.

-------------
For pieslice,

Do you have any plans to release Crisis Wing on the Exa-Arcadia arcade-only platform? It truly captures the distilled essence/vibe of the early 1990s classic stg titles & is worthy of the hallowed old-school "quarter muncher" namesake/moniker indeed. A stand alone jamma based arcade pcb of CW would be even better, right?
-------------

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm under the impression eastasiasoft has their own QA crew. I wonder if part of the issue with the control config is on the switch side, though. This isn't the first time the switch version had performance issues and was left without a control configuration. I can't think of any other Switch shmup left without d-pad support, though.
kwewu

Post by kwewu »

Well this sucks. Would have been a day one purchase for me with an already low price plus launch discount, except for the dpad issues. Its unbelievable eastasiasoft pushed this out without have someone familiar enough with the genre that would want a dpad to test at least 10 seconds of stage 1. I just don't understand how that happens.

To the dev: sorry this happened, people wouldn't be pissed if they didn't want to play your game though, so there's that.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Aktane ran a 3-person blind kumite of Crisis Wing yesterday, pretty interesting watching people compete without prior knowledge of the game :)
https://youtu.be/U1lKi--B0ok
PC Engine Fan X!

I've noticed on stage 4 (or is it stage 5?) that I somehow triggered the cool hidden "Bonus Wave" of the Series X/S port of CW. What is the method to "unlock" it?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:I've noticed on stage 4 (or is it stage 5?) that I somehow triggered the cool hidden "Bonus Wave" of the Series X/S port of CW. What is the method to "unlock" it?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
From the game manual ->

Most of the stages have a hidden wave of enemies which is triggered by destroying a fixed set of enemies. These enemies are not superficially exposed but they often appear in distinct patterns - keep an eye out for them!

If the secret condition is met (a set of enemies is destroyed without either re-starting from a checkpoint or continuing the game after a game over) Bonus Wave will appear. The enemies in a bonus wave have a distinct orange color scheme and pose a very little threat. Destroying every enemy in a Bonus Wave will award a 40,000 point bonus.

The bonus wave in the fourth stage is very lucrative spot to farm 10k medals if your medal chain is maxed up!
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Yes Boss! wrote:For the Switch HRAP V change the DP/LS/RS switch on the side to LS. That will make it work.
Same here on the Steam version. I have to change the switch to "LS" to make the HRAP Stick work correctly.

I think a game called Satazius had the same issue iirc.
Siontis

Post by Siontis »

Does anybody play the game on PS4? Can I use the dpad to play? Also, imput lag?
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

Siontis wrote:Does anybody play the game on PS4? Can I use the dpad to play? Also, imput lag?
Yes the D-pad works in the PS4 version. Haven't measured input lag, though.
LOLLO

Post by LOLLO »

@pieslice

Any news on when the switch patch is gonna drop? Thanks for your help
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

LOLLO wrote:@pieslice

Any news on when the switch patch is gonna drop? Thanks for your help
I'll keep you posted. It's been a weekend and I think the console review process is active only on workdays.
repoman

Post by repoman »

Following up the big stage 7 boss with the super aggressive final boss with no checkpoint is a bit mean to be honest.

It's a shame that the power ups don't stack a bit for more firepower. I had a bit where four power ups dropped and they were all useless to me and it didn't even make one of them a bomb.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

repoman wrote:Following up the big stage 7 boss with the super aggressive final boss with no checkpoint is a bit mean to be honest.

It's a shame that the power ups don't stack a bit for more firepower. I had a bit where four power ups dropped and they were all useless to me and it didn't even make one of them a bomb.
Just like Toaplan. The game has all of the negatives of a Toaplan game along with all of the positives. The only area where I can say it definitely improved is weaponry, as every weapon is at least usable.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Bought both XBOX One and PlayStation 4 versions, while the gameplay is solid and cues the classic Toaplan era, there's still parts to polish. To begin with, the regular shot and sub-weapon should have a power up item for their own or at least require to pick the same color twice to power them up, three simply puts newcomers on a slight disadvantage.

The Capcom "Point of shame" after continuing simply must go. For Toaplan standards is kinda arbitrary.

The name entry option should consider to add periods, commas, empty spaces and lines (Ex: "S.P" or "S-P"), speaking of letters, the D looks like an O and V like the U. Considering a revision of the name entry font for the mentioned reasons would be a good idea.

Also, it'd be great to have a wallpaper option since the sides of the screen are either black or grey.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

The patch for the Switch version which fixes the d-pad support and slow ship speed in handheld mode should be available now.
PC Engine Fan X!

Yep, the Switch port of CW patch is listed @ v1.02 -- d-pad is confirmed working 100% as of today. The patch was automatically d/l'ed & applied 10-7-21.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I can confirm the switch version is now fixed! Movement speed is faster and the dpad is enabled. Very nice. With those changes, I can now recommend the game to anyone who likes tatsujin/truxton games. You can consider Crisis Wing an unofficial Truxton 3.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Can the Steam version have a patch too? So I don't need to keep switching my Stick from DP to LS and vice-versa anytime I play a different game than Crisis Wing.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

So now that most issues seem fixed on Switch, is this a good game or what? You guys recommend it? I dont want to jump into 2 shooters at the same time... So between this and Razion? What would you suggest?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

It's good if you like Truxton, Tatsujin-Ou or Toaplan style shmups of that era.

It's bad if you don't like old Toaplan design. It has all of those elements, just a little less ball-crushing than the old games, maybe. Still has fast homing enemies, fast aimed shots, checkpoints, weapon powerups that lead to gradius syndrome, a really fucking overly long main game, etc. But at least the bomb works properly and gives you invincibility when you use it.

Time attack is a very fun mode on its own. I found myself getting bored with the main game before long because it's so fucking long and repeats patterns and enemy formations quite a bit. Call me crazy, but I think a shmup should only make me face the exact same pattern once or maybe twice in a game. Iterations on patterns are fine, but the same one with no changes? That's recycling. Crisis Wing is full of it, but so are the games that inspired it. The game is about twice the length I think it should be.

I really dislike how the powerup system works. The first powerup gives you a basic weapon upgrade, which is good. Second powerup does jack shit. Third powerup upgrades your power level. And they all have to be the same color otherwise you lose progress on powering up. It's annoying. Chasing powerups leads me to getting killed or accidentally switching. At least getting killed feels like my fault though. Accidentally getting the wrong power and resetting your progress to powering up is more infuriating than dying. Green and Red are both good. Blue only seems strong at max power and not worth it the rest of the time. Recovery can be really rough because power-ups are given very, very sparingly. If you die, you might have to do half a level with zero power.

Enemies come into the screen from all directions. It can be frustrating to chase a power up and run right into an enemy spawn you had no way of predicting.

I guess the reason I like Raiden more, despite having all of these problems, is enemies die in Raiden quicker. The "popcorn" in this game (as well as tatsujin ou) take a lot of hits considering they're supposed to be zako. I was surprised how many times I pumped shots into a rushing zako pattern, only to die as they crashed into me. I'm gonna guess 5-6 shots to kill some of these popcorn enemies.

None of what I've said should be considered a negative if you like old Toaplan shmups. I'm just a scrub, Taoplan games are all amazing etc. If you can 1cc Tatsujin-Ou then Crisis Wing will probably seem like the easiest and most fun game in the world. The highest praise I can give to Crisis Wing is it's utterly faithful to Truxton's design. If this game was released by Toaplan in 1991 or whatever, it would have fit right in.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

Sima Tuna wrote:It's good if you like Truxton, Tatsujin-Ou or Toaplan style shmups of that era.
I really dislike how the powerup system works. The first powerup gives you a basic weapon upgrade, which is good. Second powerup does jack shit. Third powerup upgrades your power level. And they all have to be the same color otherwise you lose progress on powering up. It's annoying.
This is incorrect. Switching weapons does not reset the power level. If you are fully powered up you can switch weapons freely without losing power.

Excerpt from the game manual

Code: Select all

Picking up a power up capsule installs your ship with a specific sub-weapon - this is tied to the color of the capsule.

If you have a sub-weapon already installed and you pick up a capsule which has the same color as your current sub-weapon you’ll get a P token (which is displayed next to your score) - unless you already have it. 
In that case the token is used and both of your primary and sub-weapons will power up!

If you pick up a capsule which has a different color than your current sub-weapon, a new sub-weapon is installed to your ship. The power level of the new sub-weapon is the same as your previous one.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

pieslice wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:It's good if you like Truxton, Tatsujin-Ou or Toaplan style shmups of that era.
I really dislike how the powerup system works. The first powerup gives you a basic weapon upgrade, which is good. Second powerup does jack shit. Third powerup upgrades your power level. And they all have to be the same color otherwise you lose progress on powering up. It's annoying.
This is incorrect. Switching weapons does not reset the power level. If you are fully powered up you can switch weapons freely without losing power.

Excerpt from the game manual

Code: Select all

Picking up a power up capsule installs your ship with a specific sub-weapon - this is tied to the color of the capsule.

If you have a sub-weapon already installed and you pick up a capsule which has the same color as your current sub-weapon you’ll get a P token (which is displayed next to your score) - unless you already have it. 
In that case the token is used and both of your primary and sub-weapons will power up!

If you pick up a capsule which has a different color than your current sub-weapon, a new sub-weapon is installed to your ship. The power level of the new sub-weapon is the same as your previous one.
I phrased that badly. I meant that it keeps your power level the same instead of progressing your power level. Reset was the wrong word. Collecting the wrong color means I essentially wasted that powerup because I didn't get any benefit from it. If I grab a red, then I grab a blue, I just went from Red1 to Blue1. When I wanted to go from Red1 to Red2. Or maybe I get Red1 and Red2, but then I accidentally get blue and now I'm on Blue1 or Blue2 (not sure which, sounds like you're saying it would be Blue2) instead of Red3.

I know that you can switch freely when you're at max power without losing power level. I just meant that when you're leveling up, collecting the wrong one will not help you progress your power level upwards. Power ups are infrequent enough at times that I really try to maximize each one, so missing one ("missing" includes getting the wrong color) makes me feel like I might as well reset.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Thanks for the heads up Sima. That was cool. Is it possible in this world, to like shooting games and not enjoy Toaplan games? That would be a tremendous contradiction.

Thanks for the reply! will dive in tonight and post some impressions.

Sometimes... with these kind of "homage" games at the end of the day i wonder why iam not playing the real deal instead? I felt that already quite a few times... But I love Toaplan use of color and this one looks very reminiscent. So yeah, lets see how it goes.

Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

DenimDemon wrote:Is it possible in this world, to like shooting games and not enjoy Toaplan games?
Sure! There are lots of different styles of shmups and not all of them are going to resonate with everyone. I adore Batsugun, but I'm mostly lukewarm on a lot of Toaplan games. Tatsujin is really impressive for its time, but it's pretty rough to get into these days with so many other options available.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

DenimDemon wrote:Thanks for the heads up Sima. That was cool. Is it possible in this world, to like shooting games and not enjoy Toaplan games? That would be a tremendous contradiction.

Thanks for the reply! will dive in tonight and post some impressions.

Sometimes... with these kind of "homage" games at the end of the day i wonder why iam not playing the real deal instead? I felt that already quite a few times... But I love Toaplan use of color and this one looks very reminiscent. So yeah, lets see how it goes.

The thing is, everyone throws around Toaplan in comparison now anytime anything has alien ships and color. This really doesn't hold a candle to Truxton/Tatsujin 1 or 2 in any real way. There is no pacing, no diversity in weapon feel. It's a decent shmup but it's just waves of enemies one after the other. Part of what makes Toaplan shmups fun is also the way the levels themselves are interacted with. Stuff on the ground, stuff coming out of buildings, giant alien ships/planets with cool architecture and enemy pop outs. The weapons in Toaplan games usually have a very distinct feel and vibe and there's usually one that you level up and say "This is awesome". Crisis Wing has almost none of that. Don't be fooled into thinking you are missing some great homage if you don't grab it.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

M.Knight wrote: -The initials entry start at A for every letter instead of resuming at the letter you previously input
I don't know why this was considered a problem. Plenty of arcade games did exactly like this, the entry at A for every letter. I actually prefer this way, and I guess this preference depends on what each player puts at their initials.
More surprising is that the developer actually changed this after your post, so congratulations to you and I hope you give him some extra monetary reward for this quality of life change exclusive to your needs.