Crisis Wing - Out now!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Yes Boss!

Re: Crisis Wing - Out now!

Post by Yes Boss! »

For the Switch HRAP V change the DP/LS/RS switch on the side to LS. That will make it work.
porchka66

Post by porchka66 »

Yes Boss! wrote:For the Switch HRAP V change the DP/LS/RS switch on the side to LS. That will make it work.
Thanks! That does the trick!
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Was happy to support this on the Switch but I'm rewarded with a game that uses analog sticks only and no option to remap the buttons. No excuse for this lazy showing.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

The d-pad not being supported in Switch is definitely a glitch. I did contact eastasiasoft on the issue; hopefully they'll patch that.
The console ports are their babies - I haven't worked on the ports personally as I did only license the project to port it to the consoles.

The Steam and Itch versions are continued to be maintained by me (as Pieslice Productions).

Did play through the PS4 version which seems solid; the biggest issue is that the game does not auto-pause if you hit the PS button.
Also the colors in PS4 are a bit off (but I don't think that many will notice that) - they might want to check that they do not use platform-specific texture compression for the art but I'm sure such a small issue does not warrant a patch (since patching in consoles requires way more effort than patching Steam or Itch versions).

Also the Boss Rush is the gut-wrenchingly difficult version; the difficulty of the Boss Rush mode was toned down in the PC versions. I asked them to include the easier boss rush if they decide to patch the game.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Wanted to get this on Switch, but will not until the d-pad issue is patched. Will keep an eye on this thread for when that is done.
LOLLO

Post by LOLLO »

No dpad support is a real bummer. Btw looking at steam videos on YouTube the ship looks to be moving a lot faster than in the switch version I’m playing…or am I just crazy?
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

LOLLO wrote:No dpad support is a real bummer. Btw looking at steam videos on YouTube the ship looks to be moving a lot faster than in the switch version I’m playing…or am I just crazy?
Please contact eastasiasoft on the control issue. The more people contact them the more seriously they will check out the Switch control issue.

In a nutshell the Steam version is the definite version the console ports should be compared against.

When I watched the switch gameplay videos the ship indeed feel more sluggish - might be sort of botched analog control scheme.
If the ship speed is slower then it's serious handicap for the Switch users and should be patched.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

pieslice wrote:
LOLLO wrote:No dpad support is a real bummer. Btw looking at steam videos on YouTube the ship looks to be moving a lot faster than in the switch version I’m playing…or am I just crazy?
Please contact eastasiasoft on the control issue. The more people contact them the more seriously they will check out the Switch control issue.

In a nutshell the Steam version is the definite version the console ports should be compared against.

When I watched the switch gameplay videos the ship indeed feel more sluggish - might be sort of botched analog control scheme.
If the ship speed is slower then it's serious handicap for the Switch users and should be patched.
Not that I care that much after spending $7.00 but the sort of flippant "you bought it, contact them....not my problem" vibe you are giving off here is kinda shit. How bout YOU contact them and fight for the thing you created to be better represented?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

He's clearly stated that the console versions aren't his creation. Likely to precisely avoid issues like this. I prefer him working on a brand new game than worrying about ports which aren't even his.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I bought the game for switch. The lack of d-pad support is a shame and I hope it gets patched soon. It probably will. I'd also like if the buttons could be remapped. A for shot and B for bomb is okay but not ideal for me. Other than that, it's a fun toaplan style shmup. Pretty difficult too, or at least I found it to be.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

pieslice wrote:

I'm sorry, but this is some fucking bullshit.

No one made you pick eastasiasoft. You chose them to publish your game. They are a trash shovelware publisher, everyone knows it, you knew it when you signed up to do business with them. The buck stops with you as much as them.

I am not going to accept responsibility for getting your game, which i paid for, fixed by the publisher. That's on you. That's your job.

Lack of remappable controls is fucking unacceptable. No dpad in a shmup is fucking unacceptable. You should never have allowed that to happen. Jesus christ.

When you "watched the switch gameplay video".....

.....i'm sorry, are you implying that you have not actually played the switch version? Have you actually even fucking played the game you are selling?

I'm serious, have you actually even played the switch version of your own game?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

He's not selling it. Eastasiasoft is.

It's incredibly entitled to assume an indie dev has free reign to just go shop various publishers and pick and choose who they feel are worthy of their game. If a deal comes your way, and you can make a living off of your work, there's no shame in taking it and no implied responsibility to police what happens after that.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

from earlier in the thread:
pieslice wrote:The d-pad not being supported in Switch is definitely a glitch. I did contact eastasiasoft on the issue; hopefully they'll patch that.
The console ports are their babies - I haven't worked on the ports personally as I did only license the project to port it to the consoles.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

Jonpachi wrote: If a deal comes your way, and you can make a living off of your work, there's no shame in taking it and no implied responsibility to police what happens after that.
You are literally arguing in favor of lazy, low effort, cash grab ports.

If pieslice agrees with you, he can say it. "This is a shitty port. I had nothing to do with it. Don't buy it."

If he wants to do that, fine. If not, I will continue to evaluate the product that he sold me on the quality of that product. That does not, in any way, make me "entitled". It makes me a consumer that paid money for a product.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

BrianC wrote:from earlier in the thread:
pieslice wrote: The console ports are their babies - I haven't worked on the ports personally as I did only license the project to port it to the consoles.
This seems to further imply that this dude did not even bother to play the switch port of his own game before release.

If this dude agreed to this, to allow a publisher to release a port of his game, with his company's name on it, without even doing the most absolute basic QA of playing the game for a few minutes, without even bothering to see if the controls worked......really? Wtf?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

WeedyRainfall wrote:
BrianC wrote:from earlier in the thread:
pieslice wrote: The console ports are their babies - I haven't worked on the ports personally as I did only license the project to port it to the consoles.
This seems to further imply that this dude did not even bother to play the switch port of his own game before release.

If this dude agreed to this, to allow a publisher to release a port of his game, with his company's name on it, without even doing the most absolute basic QA of playing the game for a few minutes, without even bothering to see if the controls worked......really? Wtf?
The switch port is out of pieslice's hands. He's not the developer of it. Why was the part about pieslice contacting eastasiasoft left out of your quote?
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

The switch port is out of pieslice's hands. He's not the developer of it. Why was the part about pieslice contacting eastasiasoft left out of your quote?
I quoted that specific section because it further implies that this dude did not even bother to play his own game before release.

Which no one here seems to be disputing.

"He didn't make it, it was the publisher". He chose the publisher. He agreed to the terms, which seem to have included a total lack of QA. His company's name is on the product. He is collecting revenue from sales of the product. He is responsible for it.

The part where he contacts publisher about the dpad? Too little too late. Should have been done before release. It's a fucking shmup, the dpad needs to work on day 1. No excuse for this.

Really surprised by everyone's attitude here. No place on the internet shits on lazy cash grab ports as much as this forum. Except for this one apparently. For this one, i'm "entitled" for expecting the fucking dpad to work in a shmup.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

He didn't just contact them about the dpad, he mentioned specific things about the game like the boss rush. I don't understand the assumption that a developer of a game has to own every platform that a game gets ported to. That's not how outsourcing works.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

BrianC wrote:I don't understand the assumption that a developer of a game has to own every platform that a game gets ported to. That's not how outsourcing works.
I don't understand the implication that a company is no longer responsible for the quality of a product with that company's own name on it, because it chose to outsource production.

Widget Inc is responsible for the quality of my widget that has "Widget Inc" printed on it. If my widget is busted, i am not interested in hearing about how the production line in bangladesh is responsible

And i sure as hell don't want to hear widget inc telling me that i maybe should call bangladesh and complain, and everyone else should too, and maybe that will help. That's honestly a completely ridiculous thing for him to have suggested.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

tldr I do not have an access to the console port code-base.
Even if I have an access Pieslice Productions is not certified console developer - therefore I could not open the Switch Unity project since it requires a certificate from Nintendo.

I did voice my concerns - as a developer and property owner - on the quality of the Switch port to the publisher and I do hope my voice has enough weight for them to patch the broken Switch port asap.
LOLLO

Post by LOLLO »

Please be as vocal as possible with them. The game is hard enough with the intended controls, currently on switch it feels like tatsujin with no speed ups. I realize you have no direct control over it, but since the game is carrying your name, you could have invested 7$ on it to check out the quality of the switch port
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

WeedyRainfall wrote:
BrianC wrote:I don't understand the assumption that a developer of a game has to own every platform that a game gets ported to. That's not how outsourcing works.
I don't understand the implication that a company is no longer responsible for the quality of a product with that company's own name on it, because it chose to outsource production.

Widget Inc is responsible for the quality of my widget that has "Widget Inc" printed on it. If my widget is busted, i am not interested in hearing about how the production line in bangladesh is responsible

And i sure as hell don't want to hear widget inc telling me that i maybe should call bangladesh and complain, and everyone else should too, and maybe that will help. That's honestly a completely ridiculous thing for him to have suggested.
This is getting way too heated. Pieslice's last post says what I have been trying to say and I don't understand your tone.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

I got response from eastasiasoft that they've managed to fix the Switch d-pad bug and are investigating the slower-than-expected movement in the Switch port.

So I'll expect them to deploy a patch quite soon.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

This isn't even "outsourcing" as that implies the publishing rights would belong to him, he just licensed the game. Are the people mailing Konami to get the Arcade Archives releases patched instead of Hamster? Lol, if so.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

This is getting way too heated. Pieslice's last post says what I have been trying to say and I don't understand your tone.

Ok, nothing i posted was heated. I did not post any profanity. No personal insults. There is nothing wrong with anything i've posted. Relax.

My tone is the tone of a person who paid money for a product, and that product is defective. I'm not sure what tone you think is appropriate for that situation. If my tone is making you uncomfortable, you are free to stop responding to me.

Honestly i'm done with this topic, and this game, and this developer. There are too many great games to play, and not enough time to waste on lazy crap like this.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I assume all the enemies having a billion health is a result of the inspiration being Toaplan games? I'm also not sure which powerups are worth a damn. I've been using green. Red seems way too weak since enemies can take a ton of hits. The missiles could be good if I could hit with them reliably.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

WeedyRainfall wrote:Ok, nothing i posted was heated. I did not post any profanity. No personal insults. There is nothing wrong with anything i've posted. Relax.

My tone is the tone of a person who paid money for a product, and that product is defective. I'm not sure what tone you think is appropriate for that situation.
You've been told once and again and again that the responsible of the product is not here. Your tone just makes it all look even dumber at this point.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Got it on Switch. Already had on PC. Game plays great in Handheld mode Tate with FlipGrip. A few dips in frame rate here and there but I place it in the acceptable category. Nowhere near as obvious as Rtype Final 2 on switch. Maybe a performance patch could help but not an issue. I’m fine with the analog controls but the ship does feel kinda slow which is obvious when u get killed by the first few waves of enemies cuz u can’t move to kill them in time.
No CRT filters like in the PC version but that’s probably due to the underpowered Switch.
Does the PS5 version have CRT filters?
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

Darkseed_5150 wrote:I’m fine with the analog controls but the ship does feel kinda slow which is obvious when u get killed by the first few waves of enemies cuz u can’t move to kill them in time.
No CRT filters like in the PC version but that’s probably due to the underpowered Switch.
As told earlier eastasiasoft did contact me and they said they are working on a fix for the slow ship (and d-pad as well).

Yes the CRT filter is rather heavy since it 2x super-samples the physical res; Switch is most likely incapable of pulling that off. My 2015 MacBook Pro can't cope with it either (but that's because retina macs have like shit-ton of pixels for the underpowered GPU)
Darkseed_5150 wrote:Does the PS5 version have CRT filters?
Yes.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

WeedyRainfall wrote:Ok, nothing i posted was heated. I did not post any profanity.
also WeedyRainfall multiple posts earlier wrote: I'm sorry, but this is some fucking bullshit.

Really surprised by everyone's attitude here. No place on the internet shits on lazy cash grab ports as much as this forum. Except for this one apparently. For this one, i'm "entitled" for expecting the fucking dpad to work in a shmup.
It's a game that's literally just been released. The release date is September 22, 2021. It's literally the day after release and you haven't even given the publishers who made the port a week to iron out any potential issues. Issues which, as pieslice pointed out, are being addressed. Stop acting ridiculous and drop the attitude.

Anyways, the reason pieslice likely sold the publishing rights to another company is that the fees you have to pay to become certified to release games on some consoles are prohibitively expensive for indie devs, and it simply makes more sense to have someone who already publishes games on the platform do it as a partnership. Nothing unusual about this, there's other platforms where indie devs have to pay pricy development license fees to be able to release on the platform and they'll go through a more established publisher for the console release.