New Pocky & Rocky 2021 Announcement Trailer (Tengo Project )

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sumez

Re: New Pocky & Rocky 2021 Announcement Trailer (Tengo Proje

Post by Sumez »

Maybe try out Blood Bros. I personally found it to be the most approachable game in the genre. Wild Guns actually plays better in co-op IMO, especially the remake.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Sumez wrote:Maybe try out Blood Bros. I personally found it to be the most approachable game in the genre. Wild Guns actually plays better in co-op IMO, especially the remake.
Loved playing Blood Bros back in the arcade days, but it sounds like he just doesn't enjoy gallery shooters.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sounded to me like he wants to, but couldn't get into them. :) I personally found Wild Guns hard to enjoy the first time I played it as well, it definitely takes some conditioning.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Too bad it didn't click with you. This is actually been on my most wanted list since way back when I found out it's coming. Love the job they did with the Wild Guns Remaster, so I have high hopes for this one. Yea, you might want to sell your copy before the physical comes out.

I mean, my roommate and I attempted to play 'pass the controller' for about 20 minutes until finally she was like "this is stupid, let's just play Twinbee or Streets of Rage instead"

It's not a bad game, it's just isn't as advertised. And I'm not going to spend an evening (probably more) grinding through the entire fucking thing just so she can play with me and not be needed because I can finish it by myself. That isn't fun and I have plenty of single player titles I rather be playing. So, at least I'll be able to get some of my money back now the the US version has been pushed.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I guess it's fair, because if you don't enjoy playing it single player, I can't imagine you would have enjoyed the co-op mode either.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Sumez wrote:I guess it's fair, because if you don't enjoy playing it single player, I can't imagine you would have enjoyed the co-op mode either.
I enjoy it just fine, it just isn't why I bought it
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Too bad it didn't click with you. This is actually been on my most wanted list since way back when I found out it's coming. Love the job they did with the Wild Guns Remaster, so I have high hopes for this one. Yea, you might want to sell your copy before the physical comes out.

I mean, my roommate and I attempted to play 'pass the controller' for about 20 minutes until finally she was like "this is stupid, let's just play Twinbee or Streets of Rage instead"

It's not a bad game, it's just isn't as advertised. And I'm not going to spend an evening (probably more) grinding through the entire fucking thing just so she can play with me and not be needed because I can finish it by myself. That isn't fun and I have plenty of single player titles I rather be playing. So, at least I'll be able to get some of my money back now the the US version has been pushed.
Hey, life is too short to waste time, so don't take this as pressure for you to do anything you don't want, but I'm terrible at this game an I was able to beat it in about 2hrs just to unlock everything (except the final character). Now I'm taking my time to enjoy it more, but really, 2hrs maybe 3 at most to get the feature you want is not bad. It's NOT the way they should have done it, but it's not a deal breaker either.

If you do enjoy the game, just beat a level a day (it saves your progress) and in a week or so you'll have it!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:That isn't fun and I have plenty of single player titles I rather be playing.
FFXIV is back on the menu boys!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

To Far Away Times wrote:I wish I could get into Wild Guns. The western aesthetic is totally my jam, but I've never been able to get games like Cabal and similar to click with me.
There's a big learning curve to aiming and moving, but once it clicks with you it's really glorious. Worth revisiting to see if your tastes change.
m.sniffles.esq wrote:I enjoy it just fine, it just isn't why I bought it
I completely understand your frustration and annoyance here. No other Natsume game with multiplayer forces you to jump through hoops like this to access the multiplayer, and if you buy this expecting to hop right into multiplayer like the SNES version it's gonna be a real kick in the teeth to discover you can't.

It's bizarre that they didn't give you a multiplayer story mode option where each level 1P and 2P have assigned characters or something, it's not as if it would've been impossible to implement a Story Mode (1P) and a Cooperative Story Mode (2P).
XtraSmiley wrote:If you do enjoy the game, just beat a level a day (it saves your progress) and in a week or so you'll have it!
That's not the point. They were hoping to learn the game in coop as with the SNES version, but here, you're forced to basically play the game solo until the point you're familiar with the game and any coop partner who joins you will likely just get carried through the game (a very different experience than playing and learning a cooperative game together):

"It's not a bad game, it's just isn't as advertised. And I'm not going to spend an evening (probably more) grinding through the entire fucking thing just so she can play with me and not be needed because I can finish it by myself."
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Tue May 24, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

EmperorIng wrote:
m.sniffles.esq wrote:That isn't fun and I have plenty of single player titles I rather be playing.
FFXIV is back on the menu boys!
Uh, sorry you seem to be taking this personally (or just want attention. since it's compelling you keep interjecting your displeasure, even though no one is talking to you. Either way...). I would do exactly the same thing if I bought NBA 2Kwhatever to play against friends and it forced me to play an entire season against the computer for the privilege of doing so. Or if Bubble Bobble made me play 99 levels as Bub so my friend could play as Bob.

Regardless, it was listed for about six hours and I managed to unload it for $25 meaning I lost $15 including shipping on the entire endeavor. I informed the buyer there was no co-op without an involved unlocking process which is more than Natsume did for me.

And that about wraps up the issue. Free feel to concoct and post whatever witty last word of your choosing.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I had the exact opposite experience. My wife saw the game come in and thought it looked ADORABLE, so we planned to play it later that night. She's not a gamer, and I knew it would just be a frustrating, and likely miserable experience for both us to try and slog through it together, but such is marriage. Then, lo-and-behold, we COULDN'T PLAY TWO PLAYER!

Even though I've already finished Story Mode and gotten the 1CC in free mode, I can still tell her that it hasn't unlocked yet.

"I dunno, it's WEIRD isn't it? Welp, back to Mario Kart I guess..."
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Jonpachi wrote:I had the exact opposite experience. My wife saw the game come in and thought it looked ADORABLE, so we planned to play it later that night. She's not a gamer, and I knew it would just be a frustrating, and likely miserable experience for both us to try and slog through it together, but such is marriage. Then, lo-and-behold, we COULDN'T PLAY TWO PLAYER!

Even though I've already finished Story Mode and gotten the 1CC in free mode, I can still tell her that it hasn't unlocked yet.

"I dunno, it's WEIRD isn't it? Welp, back to Mario Kart I guess..."
LOL... better hope your wife doesn't see you post here! :P
Acid

Post by Acid »

Is there or will there be a downloadable release on the Japanese PS store?
BIL

Post by BIL »

There is indeed a Japanese PSN version, went up on release day: here you go. :smile:

(earlier today I could've sworn it had disappeared off the general PS4 listing, but I might've just overlooked it. it's back now, in any case)
Acid

Post by Acid »

Thanks! I could not find it on my console's store. I searched several genres and all PS4 games between 4000 and 5000 yen. I used your link to add it to my cart. When I went on my console's store it was there in my cart.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

So it has been reported that this game has sold over 100,000 units, arguably making it the best selling shmup* since... what, Deathsmiles?

This is even with the baggage of having to grind to unlock co-op mode :P

Now that the US/EU version is out for people who like 5% less titties in their games and 500% more plastic collectibles on their shelves, this is a perfect time to get back into the game, look up Sumez's strategy thread, and place onto the leaderboards!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

This is even with the baggage of having to grind to unlock co-op mode

Uh, I guess you're not up on current events
Spoiler
they added a cheat code to unlock free mode awhile ago
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Looks like it's time to reorder the game my boy!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Looks like it's time to reorder the game my boy!

Me?

Uh... No (?)
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

My baka gaijin copy of Pocky and Rocky: Once Again finally arrived after about a month. I guess that shows me for using Amazon.

First impressions are "wow this is pretty," "nice music" and "holy fuck the game is hard as balls." I looked up the barest of info on how you're supposed to 1cc and it seems at least that the game is generous with resources if you know where to find them. So that's nice. I saw somebody on youtube say "this game is too easy" and seriously have to question that. Is it really so easy? I was game-overing left and right. :lol:

I'm currently working through Story mode. I have to say that I am not a huge fan of the forced character swaps. At least one of Rocky's weapons is hot fucking garbage (the homing leaves that always manage to hit walls or go around enemies.) Being forced to play a character I don't like sucks. I wish Arcade mode was unlocked at the start without cheats. Huntdown lets you jump into Arcade without beating the game on Story. It just warns you that Arcade is harder.

The lack of any strafing options is definitely intentional, but still annoying. I have yet to adjust. Rocky has an ability that lets you temporarily activate strafe, but it requires constant manual mashing to keep it up and it has brief windows of activation and deactivation where you are vulnerable to being hit. Ikazuchi has one weapon where you can lock on to enemies and move freely while hitting them, but I believe it's tied to that weapon's power level and you lose the lock on feature if your power is downgraded. Speaking of which, levels are much easier if your power level is high and much harder if it's at base. Losing a life has some real gradius syndrome to it, mainly during boss battles. But I will say that the mash abilities/charge abilities do help to offset this a little bit. The game is also very generous with power ups within stages, so powering down on hit isn't a big deal there.

I like the game a lot. I want to state that, since it seems like I'm just bitching and hating on the game. But I'm more of the Shock Troopers school of top-down controls. No strafing hurts my soul. I also wish there was a mode available at the very start of the game that allowed me to pick a character and play all of the levels only with that character. How am I supposed to learn the game if my weapon sets and moves change every stage? Feels like a concession to the "guided tour" game journalism style of play, which can fuck off. Ninja Saviors let me pick a character and stay with them until I learned the game. Hell, Ninja Saviors throws up a brick wall at the end of Stage 1 and screams "GIT GUD SCRUB. You ain't passing me until your e-dick is at least thiiiiis big!"
Samuray

Post by Samuray »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Uh, I guess you're not up on current events
Spoiler
Apparently neither am I.
You can unlock multiplayer, sure, but I cannot find a cheat anywhere.
And is it still an issue that player 2 cannot continue after dying?

[I still have to wait a while, I'm a collector's edition-victim :lol: ]
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Samuray wrote:
m.sniffles.esq wrote: Uh, I guess you're not up on current events
Spoiler
Apparently neither am I.

Spoiler
LLLLRRRRLRLRLRLR (direction buttons, not shoulders) at the mode select screen.
BIL

Post by BIL »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
Samuray wrote:Apparently neither am I.

Spoiler
Dawww. Good memories of Dragon Fighter and Wild Guns' respective Hard Mode and Stage Select codes (AAAA, BBBB, AB, AB, AB, AB). :mrgreen:
Samuray

Post by Samuray »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
Spoiler

Thanks! Still can't find it anywhere on the interwebs!
Is player 2 still one-credit-only there?

EDIT: Not to derail but are there any similar cheats for making coop on Wild Guns Reloaded and Ninja Saviors more reasonable? (no continues in WGR, shared lives in NS)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Also that's a damn good thing they added that :o Bought blind day 1 but even so I was like WAIT WHAT hearing it needed unlocking :shock: Pocky N Rocky got maaad press BITD for its cooperative mode. Sad that even the best of the best devs always have to struggle with the usual "SHORT N EASY LMAO" vs "TOO HARD WAAAA" Catch-22. You wanna say "consumer, grow some fuckin balls" but we all know how that goes! TOXIC GAYMERS ATTACK INNOCENT NORMIES, News At 11 :cool:
Last edited by BIL on Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Sima Tuna wrote:My baka gaijin copy of I saw somebody on youtube say "this game is too easy" and seriously have to question that. Is it really so easy? I was game-overing left and right. :lol:

It took me a bit to get used to it at well, as movement feels very sluggish out of the gate and I found myself getting swarmed and killed. But it's a game about methodical screen control and patience, and once it clicks the game is indeed very easy on the Normal difficulty. Complete the story mode and you'll unlock the hilariously OP LASER SQUIRREL who will certainly lead you to an easy-peasy 1CC.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Thanks! Still can't find it anywhere on the interwebs!

I guess it was hastily put up on the official site ("it looked like it was done with Netscape Composer" was what I was told), probably because people were bitching/leaving shitty reviews. I didn't see it myself, and they may have taken it down if you can't find it.

Is player 2 still one-credit-only there?

I really have no idea, sorry
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

game's definitely a lot easier once you get the fundamentals down! I got a story 1CC pretty early on with lucky 1UPs from shops, but if you know how shop item drops work it becomes considerably easy with the amount of lives and shields you can get. (I still recommend trying on normal without the manipulation at first, though!) pretty sure finding out about shop item drop manipulation is intended though, with the whole 10 extra lives playstation trophy and all. imo stick with your favourite weapon on each character that feels the strongest, not usually too much need to switch weapons once you find 'the good one'
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The game might feel really tough at first, but it really isn't. I also suffered countless gameovers on my first casul playthrough, no shame in that, everything takes practice! I had the hard mode 1LC down a few days later :)