New Pocky & Rocky 2021 Announcement Trailer (Tengo Project )

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: New Pocky & Rocky 2021 Announcement Trailer (Tengo Proje

Post by BIL »

It's a miracle these Natsume SFC Power Trio reduxes exist at all, and particularly with how splendidly Wild Guns and Ninja Warriors Again's outings were, they can take all the time they need.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

I agree with you. I think they did a fantastic job on the prior two, so if they need more time, I'm more than happy to wait. I can't wait to get this one, and I hope they have a PS5 labeled one!

That being said, are there any differences in the prior ones between the US and Asian releases? I think mine are the Asian ones, which are in English, but wondering if I missed anything not getting the US ones.
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Too bad, but I'll support the dev taking longer to do it better every time. They're not doing some Unity mobile-looking thing, they have my support.
They're not mobile-looking but they are made in Unity!
BIL

Post by BIL »

XtraSmiley wrote:That being said, are there any differences in the prior ones between the US and Asian releases? I think mine are the Asian ones, which are in English, but wondering if I missed anything not getting the US ones.
I don't believe so - I got The Ninja Warriors' Japanese PS4 release, which syncs up fine with the US/EU Time Attack leaderboards, and also has full English text (just need to set the system language accordingly, ofc). Haven't heard of any missing content. Wild Guns Reloaded I've not played quite as extensively, though its NTSCJ PS4 version too behaves just like TNWOA's, as of its latest update.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

WarpZone wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:Too bad, but I'll support the dev taking longer to do it better every time. They're not doing some Unity mobile-looking thing, they have my support.
They're not mobile-looking but they are made in Unity!
I don't believe you! They are hand-crafting each pixel from pure Nippon electrons, folded over 1000 times by true masters in the ancient ways to achieve a perfect blend of hardness and softness, yin and yang, Pocky and Rocky.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Since I only do physical release. Is this getting a Western release?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

MathU wrote:If there's a PC "port", I really hope they don't cripple it with DRM again like they did with Wild Guns Reloaded.
"Cripple it with DRM" = no discernible negative impact at all.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Since I only do physical release. Is this getting a Western release?
Not sure at this time, but like the other releases, the "Asia" version usually had English as an option, and as noted above, the Ninja Warriors seems to have English in the Japanese version, so just snag it from your favorite retailer!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm... happy to wait, but I also feel that the more time passes, the less likely we are to see more stuff from these guys :D
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Thanks for the answer above.

I am thinking of getting the SFC version of Kaikai. Would you own both or just the switch version?

Going Japan in March and Kaikai was on my hit list but if I can save $150 on kaikai and use it elsewhere that would be beneficial.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Would you own both or just the switch version?
In the case of both the Wild Guns and TNWA remakes, I think owning both the new and original games is 100% justified.
Wild Guns just plays extremely differently thanks to the difference in the widescreen design. TNWOA is less of a shakeup, but simply via the addition of many more simultaneous enemies and changed up boss fights, the remake still makes for a very different overall experience, and someone who's a fan of one of them would find unique things to like about both.

It's of course too early to say for Kiki Kaikai, but from what's been revealed so far, it seems like this one is going to have enen more things changed than the other two. At the same time, though, I'm not personally a massive fan of the original, not to the same extent as WG and TNWA, and I'm half expecting that the remake will be nothing but an improvement for me.
I'm sure people who are fans would like to have both, though.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

Though most (all?) of the footage so far shows levels that look similar to the SNES Pocky and Rocky, the developers have said that this is not a remake as Wild Guns Reloaded and Ninja Warriors Once Again were. I expect this might be a Castlevania X68k situation where a few of the game's levels are based on the original but most of it is wholly new.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Sumez wrote:I'm not personally a massive fan of the original
No disrespect intended, but how come?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't know, I just haven't clicked with it. It feels messy, and I'm not really sure how to play it well.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Wait till you try the 2 player mode lol

No, really, it's not messy at all. I don't think there's much depth to it despite all the actions you can do. The repel button should get a lot of use, but other than that it's as visceral as you want it to be.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah I think even having a repel action confuses me.

I think 2 player would make it a lot harder to control when I'm only one person, too :D
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Even if you're two people, it's indeed harder to control since both characters can send each other away easily by accident, with no foreseeable landing point. And the additional slowdown makes it all even harder. It's somewhat chaotic, in fact.

But then again, it's an awesome game which ends up clicking sooner o later and then you just can't forget about it.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The game has been slated for April 21 release in Japan. Hopefully with one of those multi-language options like the Ninja Warriors did!

BIL

Post by BIL »

I wonder if that's a dodge roll, or if Sayo and Manuke are about to eat that pattern :o :lol: Looking splendid as expected either way, day 1.
Sumez wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:Would you own both or just the switch version?
In the case of both the Wild Guns and TNWA remakes, I think owning both the new and original games is 100% justified.
Wild Guns just plays extremely differently thanks to the difference in the widescreen design. TNWOA is less of a shakeup, but simply via the addition of many more simultaneous enemies and changed up boss fights, the remake still makes for a very different overall experience, and someone who's a fan of one of them would find unique things to like about both.
Even ignoring Once Again's massive crowds and wider playfield, I'd say it's easily as big a departure from the SFC as Reloaded. Going back to TNWA, I always spend the first few credits forcing myself not to go for attacks, juggles and combos that simply don't exist on SFC. (I also spend those credits being reminded of how punishingly tight the 4:3 playfield is... you have to really screw up in Once Again to get trapped, while SFC's four onscreen enemies can pincer and flatten in a heartbeat :cool:)

TLDR yeah diehard fans of one will want the other.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I don't think this winged bull was in the original game, but my memory of the late game sans MANTLE MAN is a little fuzzy. Day 1 for me as well, no matter if it's an expanded retelling or entirely new adventure (I'm leaning towards the latter).
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Aw hell yeah boys, new trailer just dropped.

Five playable characters
Lots of looks into returning stages and all new environments (it looks like half remake, half new material?)
All of the old stuff is totally reworked
and, it's looking fuckin' GORGEOUS.

All hail Tengo Project.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Looks fantastic. I'm gonna play as the girl with her tits practically hanging out.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

EmperorIng wrote:Aw hell yeah boys, new trailer just dropped.

Five playable characters
Lots of looks into returning stages and all new environments (it looks like half remake, half new material?)
All of the old stuff is totally reworked
and, it's looking fuckin' GORGEOUS.

All hail Tengo Project.
Oh wow. That looks like a must play.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Excellent. Its everything I wanted it to be and more.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I can't wait for this
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Udderdude wrote:I'm gonna play as the tanuki with his nutsack practically hanging out.
Fixed.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I was super pumped for Stalker 2 but it got pushed back. This comes out right around when that was supposed to, so now I'm even more excited. Looks sooooo good. I take it Spanky's Quest is next in line? 8)
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Meriscan

Post by Meriscan »

One of the few trailers that has made me really excited to play the game. Hopefully I'll be able to play it on April 21
Augemitbutter

Post by Augemitbutter »

The original was one of my most played games on SNES back in the day. This looks unreal.