Physical copies UK on current gen consoles

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dmk1198

Physical copies UK on current gen consoles

Post by dmk1198 »

Is there a thread anywhere?
Wanted to treat myself but
Amazon doesnt even have shmups as a genre, what we got? I'll start

Switch
Darius cosmic collection
Psiyko alpha n bravo collections

Xbox
?

PS4
Sine mora Ex
StrzxgvNuvWvfld

Re: Physical copies UK on current gen consoles

Post by StrzxgvNuvWvfld »

I'm not sure you can get Cozmic Collection in the UK unless somewhere is stocking the Strictly Limited version?

It feels like you're just narrowing your options here. It's so easy to buy from Japan. I don't think I've ever been hit by any fees using solarisjapan.com
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

StrzxgvNuvWvfld wrote:I'm not sure you can get Cozmic Collection in the UK unless somewhere is stocking the Strictly Limited version?

It feels like you're just narrowing your options here. It's so easy to buy from Japan. I don't think I've ever been hit by any fees using solarisjapan.com
I use cex and Amazon alot so knowing what's available in UK is useful for me as cex don't touch anything non UK
Cozmic collection is on Amazon so assumed it had UK release
Shockingly little available thou
heli

Post by heli »

StrzxgvNuvWvfld wrote:I don't think I've ever been hit by any fees using solarisjapan.com
Did you use the tax avoiding system they implemented at checkout ?
Your own custom price on the package.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

All these consoles are region-free, so you don't need to restrict yourself to the UK. Amazon Japan, Play-Asia and others can hook you up with loads of physical copies of various shmups.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Be wary of Amazon UK listings of non-UK released games, they're almost always foreign third party sellers with no feedback - an Amazon listing is not confirmation of an official region-wide release.

There's not a lot shmup-wise in the current gen that's had a UK physical release. Aside from Psikyo (worth it, there's a soundtrack, art cards and fancy box for each of Alpha and Bravo) and Sine Mora, there's Psyvariar Delta and Astro Port Shmup Collection... annnnnnd I think that's it. Oh yeah, Super R-Type/R-Type III re-release bundle on SNES seeing as it was recent (yeah it's PAL and everything).

Very occasionally a game that gets a release via an independent manufacturer like Strictly Limited or Limited Run will get an official regional physical release (Streets of Rage 4, The Ninja Saviours, CrossCode) but no-one's really done it for shmups - the Astro Port Shmup Collection is just the manufacturer (Pixelheart) sending a quota of their run to Amazon.

Strictly Limited Games are based in Germany, so you can get Darius Cozmic direct from them (postage only has a couple of days delay in COVID, unlike the US which is severely disrupted and expensive). For Japanese releases I'd recommend a store such as Playasia which gives you postage options that include customs - if you don't, Royal Mail (or the Post Office, I forget which) are money grabbing bastards and slap a handling charge on it even if the item doesn't qualify for customs charges!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

quick question on the same topic: where to buy the PS4 Ikaruga version including the Metal Earth model ? Pikii is for Japan only, while the Nicalis online store is US-only, or is there a EU version of the store as well ?
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Be wary of Amazon UK listings of non-UK released games, they're almost always foreign third party sellers with no feedback - an Amazon listing is not confirmation of an official region-wide release.

There's not a lot shmup-wise in the current gen that's had a UK physical release. Aside from Psikyo (worth it, there's a soundtrack, art cards and fancy box for each of Alpha and Bravo) and Sine Mora, there's Psyvariar Delta and Astro Port Shmup Collection... annnnnnd I think that's it. Oh yeah, Super R-Type/R-Type III re-release bundle on SNES seeing as it was recent (yeah it's PAL and everything).

Very occasionally a game that gets a release via an independent manufacturer like Strictly Limited or Limited Run will get an official regional physical release (Streets of Rage 4, The Ninja Saviours, CrossCode) but no-one's really done it for shmups - the Astro Port Shmup Collection is just the manufacturer (Pixelheart) sending a quota of their run to Amazon.

Strictly Limited Games are based in Germany, so you can get Darius Cozmic direct from them (postage only has a couple of days delay in COVID, unlike the US which is severely disrupted and expensive). For Japanese releases I'd recommend a store such as Playasia which gives you postage options that include customs - if you don't, Royal Mail (or the Post Office, I forget which) are money grabbing bastards and slap a handling charge on it even if the item doesn't qualify for customs charges!
Thnx pal, I work for royal mail lol but agree
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Reason I like UK games is I can trade them in easily at cex when finished and buy another
StrzxgvNuvWvfld

Post by StrzxgvNuvWvfld »

dmk1198 wrote:Reason I like UK games is I can trade them in easily at cex when finished and buy another
That's fair enough, though unfortunately games are a bit limited. Xbox 360 is the best, most recent, option.

It seems a shame to not get the game you'd mosy enjoy because it isn't available on Amazon though. Get a good shmup and you might not want to trade it in! I have games from the Dreamcast and PS2 that I still play.
heli

Post by heli »

Indeed a shmup is something you can play again.
If you buy call of duty 4000 or fifa 800 ofcourse you want to sell it for 10 cent.
Those stores that scan barcode, not found in the system, then they dont buy it from you, have no hart for gaming.
neon guide

Post by neon guide »

Raiden V on PS4 came out in PAL regions

Strictly limited still have pre-ordered up for Sisters Royale and Space Invaders Invincible Collection.

That might be about it
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Cheers guys keep em coming
I buy from abroad, got esp Ra.de etc
I buy digital UK and abroad to
It's just another avenue but I like Amazon UK and I trade alot of blu rays in at cex so need ideas for stuff with my credit note to buy thnx
troyoy

Post by troyoy »

Buy any game you want of ebay and when you are done sell it on ebay. You would be surprised. You might be able to buy else where, play it and sell on ebay when done for a profit. Troy.