Based and NMK-pilled: The NMK thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cave hermit

Based and NMK-pilled: The NMK thread

Post by cave hermit »

So what is the NMK style exactly? From what I've seen, it is very basic but very well done shooting and dodging. You don't have hordes of slow moving bullets, but you don't have few fast moving bullets either, it falls somewhere in between. There's something kinda comfy about them for some reason, they just feel like good pick up and play games in a genre that is almost entirely built around pick up and play. I'm not really sure how to articulate it better.

Stop chugging Soylent and take the NMK pill, preferably using an overpriced energy drink. Maybe we can get Red Bull to sponsor Trap15, Plasmo, and some other NMK-butt-bois to play Saint Dragon for score on a competitive level, maybe even at Dreamhack. Imagine, thousands pay for tickets to dreamhack, fly in and book hotels, they go into the stadium so excited to watch Swedes play other Swedes in CS:GO. Then suddenly there's an announcement from the commentators. CS:GO has been dropped from dreamhack at the last minute to make way for the first annual hosting of the Saint Dragon scoring competition. Imagine the thrills. The cheers of joy, the excitement in the air. To make this dream a reality, all YOU have to do is send me the 16 digits on the front of your credit card, the expiration date, and the 3 wacky digits on the back. I will then use this information to pay for fetish art commissions and CS:GO knives. I'm going to stop typing now because I'm apparently incapable of going one paragraph without turning things into a stream of consciousness shitpost.
Sturmvogel Prime

Re: Based and NMK-pilled: The NMK thread

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

NMK and NMK.16 driver based-shmups are in most cases, clones of Raiden. Best examples are Thunder Dragon, Banpresto's Super Spacefortress Macross and even Comad's Air Attack. They also use the same power up mechanic of weapon switching through items.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Weapon items for switching and powering up is hardly just a Raiden thing. Thunder Dragon and Macross really don't play anything like Raiden.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Didn't there are USAAF Mustang bootleg pcb with Raiden 1's OST in it
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I am not even sure there's one common feature in all of NMK shmups, aside from maybe the presence of weird scoring mechanics or glitches (HMF right edge hugging, P47 Aces bumping, Gunnail last life multiplier, etc.) :mrgreen:
Some of their best games like TD2 or Macross 2 also have a big focus on caravan-style destruction that isn't there in their other games AFAIK.

But yeah, the immediate pick-and-play fun is definitely there.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Thunder Dragon 2 and Macross II are both fantastic, but people should also give Macross I a shot. Besides the milking being a bit excessive, it's a criminally underrated game that I basically never hear anyone talking about. It's much more fun than I expected it to be before I played it, just remember to use P2 side for more speed (just like Macross II).

That being said, I haven't put any time into P-47 Aces or Gunnail yet... one day I shall atone for my sins, fear not.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

NMK made me question what I am doing with my life. When my parents ask me what they did wrong I just sigh and tell them it's not their fault, I played Zed Blade for score without autofire.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Jeneki wrote:NMK made me question what I am doing with my life. When my parents ask me what they did wrong I just sigh and tell them it's not their fault, I played Zed Blade for score without autofire.
I thought about doing this at some point, then quitted as soon as I tried stage 1 lol.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I've taken the NMK pill. I can't go back. These jank-ass games are too fun. What do you think the best NMK shmups are on switch? I need to feed my addiction.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Thunder Dragon 2. Always has been.

Macross games will never be released cause licensing BS, unless Hamster have balls of steel to do one.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Square_Air wrote:Thunder Dragon 2 and Macross II are both fantastic, but people should also give Macross I a shot.
Agreed, I think Rapid Hero and Macross I are probably my favorite NMK games. They're absolutely solid, and the music in them is fantastic.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

Minimalist in form, but great in substance: this is NMK for me.
Gunnail, Macross and TD2 are awesome.
FabulousVioletGuy

Post by FabulousVioletGuy »

P-47 Aces and TD2 are their best shmups to me. Zed Blade is also my favourite shmup for the NEO•GEO. They had a rather rough period there at the start of the '90s, but they really came into their own by around 1993 and developed some fantastic stuff.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

FabulousVioletGuy wrote:Zed Blade is also my favourite shmup for the NEO•GEO.
Zed Blade/Operation Ragnarok is pretty solid, although the rank rise is kinda crazy.