Art gallery 'theblock' featuring crts/pvms

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
jeffez

Art gallery 'theblock' featuring crts/pvms

Post by jeffez »

Doe's anyone know what this is about? Appears to be an arts related thing featuring amongst other things several crts/pvms??
Some interesting pictures one there to say the least... super cool!
https://www.theblock.art/
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Re: Art gallery 'theblock' featuring crts/pvms

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

It's still pretty common for art galleries to use high-end CRTs (PVMs etc) to display video works for some reason. I imagine it's purely an aesthetic thing, the physical bulk and softer picture of a CRT is probably seen as a better medium than pixel-sharp over-saturated 4k displays (particularly if the work in question precedes modern high-res video formats).
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

jeffez

Post by jeffez »

PAPER/ARTILLERY wrote:It's still pretty common for art galleries to use high-end CRTs (PVMs etc) to display video works for some reason. I imagine it's purely an aesthetic thing, the physical bulk and softer picture of a CRT is probably seen as a better medium than pixel-sharp over-saturated 4k displays (particularly if the work in question precedes modern high-res video formats).
Interesting... Good to see it's not just casual enthusiasts keeping these things going.
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

They definitely still enjoy use in places outside niche retro gaming, which is great. Unfortunately, in my experience galleries are usually pretty savvy to their value and won't be persuaded to part with them. :wink:
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

jeffez

Post by jeffez »

PAPER/ARTILLERY wrote:They definitely still enjoy use in places outside niche retro gaming, which is great. Unfortunately, in my experience galleries are usually pretty savvy to their value and won't be persuaded to part with them. :wink:
Yeah that makes sense looking at how they are featured like that. At least they won't get treated badly and end up chucked if they need repairs etc.
Quite fascinating seeing crts getting interest outside of retro gaming. You wouldn't see an arcade cab or a pinball in a gallery, or yet who knows...