I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MJR

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by MJR »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:I recall seeing Pac-Mania at my local arcade joint except that it was the upright arcade cab that was sold/distributed by Atari Games themselves back in 1987 for the North American arcade market with the newfangled 3-Dish isometric viewpoint + highly-touted "Jump" button feature, (a first for a Pac-Man game, indeed, to avoid the dreaded ghosts).

Gone was the tell-tale and extremely responsive Wico manufactured leaf-swtich based arcade stick arrangement/setup that was prevalent with the Bally Midway manufactured Pac-Man games and in it's place the usual Atari branded clunky 4-way digital arcade joystick to control your Pac-Man character that wasn't as responsive in terms of overall gameplay/reaction time (necessary if you wanted to achieve higher scores right off the bat). I think if Atari had gone with a true "leaf-switch" based arcade stick for use with Pac-Mania, it would've fared better control-wise in retrospect. As it was for 1987, that was the type of Atari arcade controls in dealing with the USA version of Pac-Mania at that particular point in time.

There was a business agreement/arrangement between Atari and Namco back in those days, hence the exclusive rights of Atari Games to sell/distribute Pac-Mania/Assault arcade cabs (rather than Bally Midway MFG Co. with the old Pac-Man arcade IPs -- i.e.: Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, Baby Pac-Man, Professor Pac-Man, Pac-Man Plus, Pac-Man Jr., etc.). Heck, even Namco sold/distributed Atari Games' Klax arcade pcb conversion kits in Japan back in 1990 and beyond under their own brand namesake.

----------
Pac-Man Factoid Time: The arcade cab oddity of Professor Pac-Man got an extremely limited distribution stateside due to it's unpopularity with the general public but it was playable at the famous Starcade arcade joint in Disneyland's Tomorrowland back in 1984.
----------

Cool to see the original arcade iteration of Pac-Mania finally appear in all of it's glory on the PS4 & Switch platforms. It's time to revisit it properly.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Thanks for sharing :)
I mainly played Pac-Mania on amiga, where it had surprisingly competent conversion. When I tried the emulated version (on PS2 Namco museum collection), I was surprised how much more difficult it was. Now I tried the japanese rom on ACA, and I was surprised as to how much easier it was than the western rom set. I thought that the japanese rom versions of coin ops were always the more difficult ones (Capcom and Toaplan come to mind). Apparently this is not always the case.
Melt the Guns

Post by Melt the Guns »

Finally, Bubble Bobble ! And metal hawk for next week.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Melt the Guns wrote:Finally, Bubble Bobble ! And metal hawk for next week.
Eh? Bubble Bobble has been on PS4 since 2016. As for Switch, is there any link showing announcement?
Melt the Guns

Post by Melt the Guns »

MJR wrote:
Eh? Bubble Bobble has been on PS4 since 2016. As for Switch, is there any link showing announcement?
Yes, from the presentation today.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Melt the Guns wrote:
MJR wrote:
Yes, from the presentation today.
Link?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I don't get it either, but they did mention it.

https://twitter.com/bubblun_jp/status/1 ... 4876951552
https://twitter.com/MDLIC76/status/1603377110848262144

Also METAL HAWK SUGOI. It's like your shooting stuff in 3D. Holy shitballs.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Udderdude wrote: METAL HAWK SUGOI
:cool: These dudes know their stuff. Now this is some momentous debuting. :o Third Christmas running with massive STG cachet, haha (XEXEX and Gradius III being the previous couple).

Offhand, ACA Bubble Bobble sounds like another Switch latecomer ala ACA Darius. Bubble Bobble And Friends' packed-in emulation was the platform's only option, for a few years' now. IIRC, BBaF's version is by Gotch, just like the superb ACA ver; still, stand-alone arcade releases are always a good option to have.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I only recently stumbled across Metal Hawk Sugoi while going down a YouTube hole. I was struck by how amazing it looked and definitely was a spiritual descendant of Assault. I'm excited to see how this plays! I'm guessing a similar twin-stick setup to Assault?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Nope. Just one stick. It's supposed to be a helicopter, lol.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

So left/right rotates, up/down controls altitude? What makes it go forward/backward?

CAN I USE MY CYBERSTICK FOR THIS
BIL

Post by BIL »

SavagePencil wrote:I only recently stumbled across Metal Hawk Sugoi while going down a YouTube hole. I was struck by how amazing it looked and definitely was a spiritual descendant of Assault. I'm excited to see how this plays! I'm guessing a similar twin-stick setup to Assault?
Definitely Assault's long-awaited spiritual sequel! Topdown seek/destroy with MAD ROTATIONAL TECHMOLOGIES :cool: Basically you have a dedicated stick for altitude control, handy for dodging flak while delivering them XMAS TREATZ, aka NAPALM JUDGMENT FROM ABOVE Image

Cutting edge tech + ancient principles of HARDCORE (`w´メ)
Spoiler

Also a similarly bangin' funk/tribal OST by Hosoe and Noguchi!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

SavagePencil wrote:So left/right rotates, up/down controls altitude? What makes it go forward/backward?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnYD7W3Gi9U&t=170s
Timestamp at 2:50. My only regret in life is that I will never be Metal Hawk enough to be wearing a Metal Hawk t-shirt while playing a Metal Hawk cab.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

BIL wrote:Offhand, ACA Bubble Bobble sounds like another Switch latecomer ala ACA Darius. Bubble Bobble And Friends' packed-in emulation was the platform's only option, for a few years' now. IIRC, BBaF's version is by Gotch, just like the superb ACA ver; still, stand-alone arcade releases are always a good option to have.
Ah, didn't realize the BB4F version was Gotch, good info!

And yes, Bubble Bobble was indeed a case of Switch getting one of the few remaining ACA games that were already available on PS4. Now we're down to only two remaining PS4 (Japan) exclusives:

1) Ark Area (UPL) - Japan PS4 release was Jan 19, 2017. I would guess this will likely show up on Switch and WW PS4 in 2023, in line with what Hamster has done with several previous UPL releases (for example, Mutant Night finally made it to Switch and PS4 outside of Japan in December 2021, original PS4 Japan release was back in February 2017)

2) Wonder Boy (Westone) - Original Japan PS4 release was one of the earliest ACA titles, from July 2014. This one may be less likely to see additional ACA releases due to possible licensing issues popping up since 2014. Bliss Brain and ININ (worldwide publishing) have licensed Wonder Boy for recent/upcoming compilations, which are still very current (e.g., a variant of the Wonder Boy Anniversary compilation is going to be released on the Switch/Playstation digital storefronts in January 2023). Might be some exclusive license rights that would prevent a Hamster release. Then again, ININ also did worldwide distribution for Taito's Darius and Bubble Bobble games and that didn't prevent ACA Darius and Bubble Bobble from making it to Switch and NA PS4 (though with the ACA versions coming significantly later). So this one's a maybe, but don't hold your breath?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Marvel Land isn't up on US PSN or US eShop yet.
CRP

Post by CRP »

BrianC wrote:Marvel Land isn't up on US PSN or US eShop yet.
Good because it hasent showed up on eu eshop aswell, was worried that it was only a eu issue. Dont think metrocross ever go on eu eshop btw did it show up on us eshop ?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

CRP wrote:
Good because it hasent showed up on eu eshop aswell, was worried that it was only a eu issue. Dont think metrocross ever go on eu eshop btw did it show up on us eshop ?
Metrocross is on the US eShop.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

CRP wrote:
Yes, Metrocross did release in the US eshop - August 18, 2021. Just checked and can also confirm it's still up.

For Marvel Land:
Just checked and it is not in the US eshop or Playstation store yet, but it IS on the Japanese region stores for both Switch and PS4. If they don't correct the other regions by tomorrow, it seems likely we'll see both Marvel Land and Flying Hawk next week. This has happened a couple other times in 2022 in the US eshop: both Empire City: 1931 and Itazura Tenshi didn't show up on their scheduled date (though I think both did make it out on time in at least some other regions, and Itazura Tenshi arrived on US PS4 when scheduled), and both ended up getting a 1 week delay and arriving the following week along with another Arcade Archives game.

Feels like there may be some sort of recurring submission/review process issue. Not sure why this seems to have become a bigger problem recently though, the ACA Neo Geo and Arcade Archives weekly releases always arrived as planned like clockwork until this year. We also had one week this year with no AA release at all (the week of June 23), which is very odd considering that it's the only week since Switch launch in March 2017 that Hamster just straight up missed a week (with no delayed release showing up the following week). I'm not aware of any announced game that week, but it seems suspicious enough that it could have also been some sort of submission/approval related issue.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

BIL wrote:Third Christmas running with massive STG cachet, haha (XEXEX and Gradius III being the previous couple).
Made me curious to look up all of their pre-Christmas releases since the start of the Arcade Archives/ACA Neo Geo lines. They do tend to go for a big one, a lot of Konami shooters. Good run indeed.

2014 (Dec 25): Scramble, PS4
2015 (Dec 25): TwinBee, PS4
2016 (Dec 1): Haunted Castle, PS4 (Bit of a lull around this time, this was the only AA release that month - but was a pretty high profile release)
2017 (Dec 21): ACA Neo Geo Pulstar AND (Dec 22) Vs. Super Mario Bros.
2018 (Dec 20): ACA Neo Geo Puzzle Bobble (No STG, but quite notable as the first Taito release on Switch, and first ACA Neo Geo Taito game)
2019 (Dec 19): Mat-Mania: Exciting Hour (OK, maybe they didn't try so hard this year! Makes me wonder why they didn't push Detana!! Twinbee up from January 16, 2020 to keep with the theme!)
2020 (Dec 24): Gradius III
2021 (Dec 23): Xexex/Orius
2022 (Dec 22): Metal Hawk
velo

Post by velo »

Sumez wrote:
BIL wrote: TGM is out now on JPSN - controls seem tight, and performance rock-solid, but will wait to hear from Sumez and other knowledgeable friends! I don't know WTF I'm doing here, plus ca change since the ol' GB ver. :cool:
I've had the PCB for years, and playing this on Switch feels to me completely like playing on PCB for what it's worth.
There's some minor glitches and weird scaling going on (not sure if it can be configured away), and the game has frozen for me a couple of times, so it's not all dandy. But it's absolutely a port worth your dough, I can't believe this game is finally available on a home console after 25 years - and at a bargain price, too!
Ha, I killscreened TGM... think I'll take a break until the update comes

https://twitter.com/suprodupro/status/1 ... 0954296320
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm going to go ahead and buy it on the JP eshop, especially in case the title is an issue.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Regarding uniformity/consistency with ACA Arcade releases for PSN PS4 & eShop Switch and JP vs NA vs EU (and other regions), Star Force still hasn’t had a PSN NA release: it’s been out for many years thru PSN JP and a few years now for Switch thru eShop (all regions I believe).

I posted this several pages/a few months back; have just checked again and it still holds.
For such a landmark STG and great mid 80’s arcade game, it’s surprising there’s been no PSN NA release of ACA Arcade Star Force yet.

Here’s hoping there’s an ACA Arcade release of Super Star Force sometime in the not too distant future! :D
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Last I checked, Twinkle Star Sprites isn't on the US PSN either.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

ninja spirit isn't on the EU PSN either for some reason.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Update patch for Tetris TGM:
https://twitter.com/HAMSTER_Corp/status ... 17bt_CIUUg

Via Google Translate:
Spoiler
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

A shame that Marvel Land isn't out yet (what's the hold-up!?). I might just switch to my JPN account and pick it up instead of waiting for whatever hurdles to clear.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

The only US release of arcade Marvel Land was an unfinished prototype/loctest.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That's in no way stopped ACA before. I mean you can get Yokai Douchuuki (Shadow Land was never officially released iirc), Genpei Toumaden, and Valkyrie no Densetsu on the US eshop.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

Holy shit I can't believe we're getting Metal Hawk this week.

I've seen and played this in arcades a couple times.

Nice way to end the year (regardless of what comes next week).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

velo wrote:Ha, I killscreened TGM... think I'll take a break until the update comes

https://twitter.com/suprodupro/status/1 ... 0954296320
That bug is really infuriating! It's happened to me way too many times on a game that was otherwise going great!
There's also a variant where the graphics do keep updating, but the "sprites" look completely garbled. I've played all the way through a couple game like that, but it's not nice >_>
Marc

Post by Marc »

Really enjoying both Ordyne and Marvel Land. Not over familiar with this era of Namco, will probably puck up Assault and tomorrow's release.

Fuck Tetris though, I've hit rank 5 a couple of times and that's me screwed. For some reason I was expecting a bit more than 'Tetris: Insanely Hard Edition'. I really need to go back and give Connected a proper whirl.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell