I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by BIL »

Super Cobra's out tomorrow! Now it's just Gyruss remaining of the PS1 Arcade Gallery STGs. (and IIRC just Roc n' Rope and Shaolin's Road, of the non-STGs... my memory's a bit hazy on that comp)

The immense historical significance of Scramble aside, I always preferred Super Cobra's faster pace and BOOTY mechanic. (and even its aesthetic - neither's game's a looker, or even a listener, but for cavern-plumbing a helicopter makes more sense than a screaming rocketship)
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BIL wrote:Now it's just Gyruss remaining of the PS1 Arcade Gallery STGs.
My 1st ever 1cc! NES version at least. Not sure how well the skills would transfer.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

NES Gyruss is a very different game, and notably easier too.
Arcade Gyruss isn't that big of an ordeal either though, the people I know who play it are able to loop it forever until they can't stay awake any longer.
Marc

Post by Marc »

BIL wrote:Super Cobra's out tomorrow! Now it's just Gyruss remaining of the PS1 Arcade Gallery STGs. (and IIRC just Roc n' Rope and Shaolin's Road, of the non-STGs... my memory's a bit hazy on that comp)

The immense historical significance of Scramble aside, I always preferred Super Cobra's faster pace and BOOTY mechanic. (and even its aesthetic - neither's game's a looker, or even a listener, but for cavern-plumbing a helicopter makes more sense than a screaming rocketship)
Awesome! I'll be having this, the Intellivision version was one of my first gaming addictions (alongside TRON Deadly Discs).
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

Interested to see a Replicate Game Speed setting, under Preferences - first I've encountered in an ACA release. Up until now, it's just been Wait Control's natural companion, Sprite Limit (see VS Castlevania). It's "Off" by default, which seems to sync the game to 60hz. Enabling it doesn't feel noticeably different, but introduces a bit of scrolling hiccup, so I guess it's doing something. According to MAME, the PCB's refresh rate is slightly above-standard @ 60.6hz.

I hope they'll try this out (maybe even backport it) with the IREM M72 games, as mentioned on Page 1.

As for Super Cobra itself, no surprise there - a no nonsense pleasure as always. I only wish they'd gone with earthier tones - sky, gunmetal, dirt - cos this be Army As Fuck (see also SNK's day-glo ninja shooter Sasuke VS Commander). Can't hit my 1337 ground-shaving chopper! Taste Death From Slightly Above, you VC shitbirds! Image Or whatever the fuck you are, down there!

CARRY AWAY BOOTY Image Image
Spoiler

Holy SHIT (■`W´■)
Spoiler
CRP

Post by CRP »

Is it possible to compare friend score or look the up somehow on the online scores ? Havent been been able to try it out myself (no friend that have same hamstergames as i yet)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It would appear that all 115(!) Arcade Archives releases will work on the PS5.
fireflame

Post by fireflame »

I see people talking of hamster releasing arcade archives games on PC..I thought this was a joke but you look serious. Yet I don't find them on Steam nor Gog...Do you have any link?
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

fireflame wrote:I see people talking of hamster releasing arcade archives games on PC..I thought this was a joke but you look serious. Yet I don't find them on Steam nor Gog...Do you have any link?
They're only on Microsoft Store in Windows and its only the Neo Geo games. Not the full series of Arcade Archives.

http://www.hamster.co.jp/american_hamst ... neogeo.htm
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Also, if you are looking for Neo Turf Masters on Switch, PSN, or MS store, it's there under the name Big Tournament Golf. Not sure why they can't call it "Neo Turf Masters" anymore (or so I assume, name changed in an update).
trap15

Post by trap15 »

It's because of a licensing issue with the Masters Tournament. Kinda dumb, I feel like the Masters shouldn't be able to claim all uses that word in golfing context.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
fireflame

Post by fireflame »

pablumatic wrote:
fireflame wrote:I see people talking of hamster releasing arcade archives games on PC..I thought this was a joke but you look serious. Yet I don't find them on Steam nor Gog...Do you have any link?
They're only on Microsoft Store in Windows and its only the Neo Geo games. Not the full series of Arcade Archives.

http://www.hamster.co.jp/american_hamst ... neogeo.htm
That's what I was afraid to read, you confirm it. I would like to be able to access Saint Dragon legally so badly...

If I ever get a Switch it would likely be mostly for retro games.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Arcade Archives Gradius II will launch on Switch this week, Hamster has announced. A digital release is planned for November 12 worldwide.
This product includes 3 Japanese versions, and 2 versions of ‘Vulcan Venture’.
https://nintendoeverything.com/arcade-a ... this-week/
fireflame

Post by fireflame »

CRP wrote:
Arcade Archives Gradius II will launch on Switch this week, Hamster has announced. A digital release is planned for November 12 worldwide.
I am confused because this game is already included in konami collection, available on pc and Switch.
StrzxgvNuvWvfld

Post by StrzxgvNuvWvfld »

fireflame wrote:
CRP wrote:
I am confused because this game is already included in konami collection, available on pc and Switch.
The stand-alone versions are more configurable and have lots of different versions of the game. I suppose if you just wanted one or two games it would also work out cheaper. Personally I prefer playing the stand-alone versions to the Konami collection.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The Konami collection sucks. We say Hamster is barebones, but there are even -less- options available to you on the konami collection. Gigantic waste and missed opportunity overall.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The newly released Gradius for Switch has really nice screen options. Maybe it's just me but their bilinear filter that comes on when you add scanlines is now way less blurry. You get the choice between hard and soft scanlines. Also the scanlines seem to sync up to the pixels better at a variety of screen sizes. IIRC when first released on PS4 the options weren't as nice? Before on arcade archives it was like really dark and blurry image or overly crisp image with shimmer due to non integer scaling. Pick your poison. On this Gradius release I was totally happy with how the screen looked once I turned on scanlines.

But they still don't let you pick different autofire rates or tell you what the default rate is. It's just on or off.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Trigon had an update to v 1.0.1 [Switch]
Anyone know what the update did ?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

CRP wrote:Trigon had an update to v 1.0.1 [Switch]
Anyone know what the update did ?
Contra and Gradius on PS4 were also recently updated.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

According to Hamster's twitter, Trigon's update had something to do with a bug on the score entry screen.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Glad to see Gradius 2 is finally getting a wider release. I had to used my Japan PSN account to get it a while back.

Not related to shmups, but Pettan Pyuu has got to be the weirdest shit I've ever seen. And I say that after latching on to Ben Bero Beh.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

I'm annoyed that EDF hasn't had a Euro release on PS store. :evil:

On an unrelated to shumps note, what's 64th Street like? Is it worth getting or is it just a fairly average belt scroller?
BIL

Post by BIL »

64th Street, after 30 minutes and a couple credits, last week... Average early 90s Final Fight-alike, with some distinctions in its Ninja Gaiden-style scenery smashing (chuck enemies into things for more pickups), and an overly strict [forward, forward+attack] command move, which doubles as a dash for the second character. Not great, not bad, as per early 90s Jaleco. :wink:
CRP

Post by CRP »

Zero Team [1993] Seibu Kaihatsu is out now.
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/ ... e_tomorrow

Seams to be same hardware as raiden 2 ? Any other games on that hardware ?
BIL

Post by BIL »

I could easily be wrong, but doesn't Raiden DX run on that board, too? That's the one I'm really jonesing for... as lovely as the PS1 disc is, it was subtly downsized from PCB. Arcade's shrapnel-spewing shockwave-riven carnage is even more spectacular than the port's. Richer OST, too. (to be fair, PS1 also fixed some things, like the board's daft "jam a toothpick into the Start button for free Guts Bonus")

I suppose if the operator was some hard-ass Oyaji and he saw you disrespecting his cabs, he might beat your ass with a boat oar, unless you exuded sufficiently intimidating Guts Aura... maybe that was the idea? blackoak's probably got a commentary on this. >_>

Technically Raiden II probably needs an updated home version more, saucy and IIRC Icarus always said so anyway. Been a while.

All this said, Zero Team is a Christmas miracle. GET ON YOUR BIKE AND WHOOP SOME ASS

Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Wow Zero Team is awesome. This is the definition of a hidden gem. I like the simple almost Streets 1 gameplay style. And there's a score bonus at the end for beating up your friends!? Whats up with that madness?

This has me hyped for more Seibu stuff.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:I like the simple almost Streets 1 gameplay style.
Aha, that's what it's reminding me of! Compact but highly-detailed sprites, huge crowds, and simple whip-smart combos. Even has throw techs. Biggest difference is the smoothed-out framerate on ZT - it really does feel an SOR1 developed for arcade. All its needs is bangin choons but nobody's perfect. :mrgreen:
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Rastan78 wrote:Wow Zero Team is awesome. This is the definition of a hidden gem. I like the simple almost Streets 1 gameplay style. And there's a score bonus at the end for beating up your friends!? Whats up with that madness?

This has me hyped for more Seibu stuff.
I love finding these old gems and being able to test em out on mame before buying
What a game!

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
BIL

Post by BIL »

Now there's a lovely set. Image

Retweeted by Hamster, promoting this upcoming Konami arcade STG music compilation. (how many of these have there been, anyway? not that it matters, classic VGM deserves to stay in circulation, and several of these OSTs are AAA1. don't sleep on their racing and other OSTs though!)

Makes me hopeful that with ten of those games on ACA, and Gradius III inbound, the rest might be in contention for licensing. :cool: I can't help forgiving Konami's bullshit over the last decade or so, when they at least let other companies do their classic titles proud. :oops:
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Speaking of Konami, I had just downloaded ACA Detana Twinbee last night. I never knew that the composer of Castlevania Bloodlines and Symphony of the Night contributed to the soundtrack.

A very cool game if a bit inaccessible due to the awkward powerup system. Sounds like it's a case of memorize an exact pattern to quickly power up in the first stage and then hope to never die after. Once you're fully powered you're just picking up every gold bell for score and not having to worry about the tedious bell juggling. But lose your power ups and well . . . At least the difficulty doesn't seem very high early on.

Also I'm trying to play around with a config that works well on pad. You want to be able to spam ground shot and air shot at the same time. I might end up with something unusual like left trigger auto shot, right trigger auto ground shot, and normal charge shot on a face button. That's the main drawback of pad to me is having to move your thumb around. I like to just have one finger for each main button ala arcade stick.

BTW I hear the 2nd loop is an absolute beast. I wonder if anyone outside of Japan has ever tackled that monster? No panic bombs, no extends period. With suicide bullets everywhere. A pastel sugar coated kick in the teeth.