I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Steven »

Astro City II wrote:
Steven wrote:Metal Black just launched on ACA and now it's part of Shitty Connection's S-Tribute line. Is there any reason to choose the Saturn version over the arcade version?

For that matter, is this the first time we have gotten the same game from both Shitty Connection and Hamster, disregarding that one is the arcade version and one is the Saturn version? It is interesting to see this considering that Hamster's release is already out and guaranteed to be both better and cheaper.
Maybe if Hamster put the Arcade Archives series on something other than just Switch/PS4 we could all have this blasé attitude. I'll take the 'Shitty Connection' version since they're actually inclusive.
While it is true that everything would ideally be released on PC, look at it this way: at least M2 and Hamster are preventing these awful modern consoles from being rendered completely useless, except as BD players, as that's pretty much the only thing that they do better than PC given that almost everything else released on consoles that is worth playing is on PC except for maybe some Nintendo games. I want nothing to do with Shitty Connection after the 12 frames of lag on Cotton; enjoy taking that risk; I am extremely hesitant to buy anything from them after I bought that awful Cotton collection they put out.
BIL wrote:
Steven wrote:Metal Black just launched on ACA and now it's part of Shitty Connection's S-Tribute line. Is there any reason to choose the Saturn version over the arcade version?
Nope. VING's Saturn port is a model of excellence in straight disciplined accuracy, but by that same token, it's "just" the arcade game. A godsend in its time, and still wonderful to have around for aficionados (I certainly won't be selling mine off!), but when it comes to ACA vs S-Tribute, there's basically zero reason to go with the latter.

Maybe if the S-Tribute version has some practice options, but besides the well-known Rayforce bugs we've discussed, I hear Elevator Action Returns has issues too. Personally I want nothing to do with that series, and it's not because I have all the existing releases on disc... I love doubling up with modern ports, all on the same console, with the same monitor and arcade stick (M2 Garegga and Ketsui, like a solid two dozen ACA titles). Hella convenient, having a massive arcade library in a suitcase. Not when they're buggered, though. :lol:
For that matter, is this the first time we have gotten the same game from both Shitty Connection and Hamster, disregarding that one is the arcade version and one is the Saturn version? It is interesting to see this considering that Hamster's release is already out and guaranteed to be both better and cheaper.
I was musing on this a few months back - as then, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see CC release Mizubaku Daibouken's Saturn port, too. Exactly the same situation, versus the AC version, which has been on ACA in pristine form for going on two years now. Saturn Mizu enjoys similar cult acclaim to MB.

Now if they release the X ING-published Saturn Gun Frontier, uh... I mean that one is a legitimately different experience, but that's because poor Fujino had to recreate it by hand off of his own PCB, Taito didn't give a damn. :mrgreen: Basically an Extra Lite SuperEasy diet ver, with none of the PCB/ACA's fierce (and Garegga-prefiguring) per-shot Rank.
Yeah, I thought so. I Still kind of want to check out Saturn Gun Frontier side-by-side with ACA to see how different it is. Recreating a game like that is something special in itself; I think there's a version of Virtua Racing that is the same way. I think it's the Saturn version. Saturn was definitely cursed throughout its entire lifespan...
Sima Tuna wrote:I can only hope ACA will release Rayforce and Raystorm, along with Elevator Action Returns.
But M2 is doind RayForce and RayStorm... unless you just want the cheaper ACA price. Still hoping that they will get those out on PC since Taito seems to be good about somehow forcing M2 to release on PC.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Keep in mind that Switch has long had portability (it’s certainly more profuse than the Steam Deck from being around much longer); is being bound to one specific place in the household for gaming that small a concern? Good luck using even a laptop easily on a commuter train or bus.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh hell yes :shock: :cool:

Tank Force next week. Image Super cute + Super hardcore single-screen topdown blaster ala Battle City and Toy Pop. (don't sleep on Toy Pop it's rugged as fuck Image)
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

After seeing a screenshot…when do you suppose we can expect Grobda? >>;;;;
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I'm becoming convinced that Hamster only occasionally puts a couple mediocre games on sale to force you to look at the back catalog, knowing they'll eventually grind you down into paying full price for something else (today's entry: Empire City: 1931)

And while I do respect the savvy in such a move, if they'd implement an all-encompassing 30% off sale, they'd probably get $250 of my dollars in one click.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Cute Tanks Doing Cute Things.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Tank Force is part of the Switch Namco Museum. Is this the first ACA release that is also in that? Gives me hope that there will be ACA Rolling Thunder 2. I like the Megadrive version, but I want the arcade original which I've never gotten to play.
Skyknight wrote:Keep in mind that Switch has long had portability (it’s certainly more profuse than the Steam Deck from being around much longer); is being bound to one specific place in the household for gaming that small a concern? Good luck using even a laptop easily on a commuter train or bus.
It's zero concern for me personally. I have no use for portables, and I hate them and their small screens. I've bought multiple ones due to exclusive games (GBA, 3DS, PSP) and totally hated the experience of trying to play on each one and sold them. I'm not sure how laptops entered the conversation though.
m.sniffles.esq wrote:I'm becoming convinced that Hamster only occasionally puts a couple mediocre games on sale to force you to look at the back catalog, knowing they'll eventually grind you down into paying full price for something else (today's entry: Empire City: 1931)

And while I do respect the savvy in such a move, if they'd implement an all-encompassing 30% off sale, they'd probably get $250 of my dollars in one click.
If that's the plan, it doesn't have the intended effect on me. If none of the games were ever on sale, I'd pay the full price for the ones I really want with the assumption that there aren't sales on these at all. As it is, since I have been able to get a couple I wanted on sale, and I haven't been tracking them that long, I keep thinking something else I want might be on sale later so I don't buy. I'm starting to realize though that it seems to only be a certain subset that is on sale, and generally what is on sale isn't appealing to me.

I should probably give up waiting, as Neo Geo Shock Troopers and Alpha Mission II are the only two I wanted that I've been able to get on sale. I also bought Xexex at the regular price but that's all I have so far.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Laptops being the closest thing to portables before the Steam Deck, is why I mentioned them. Yes, you have to be sitting down, but at least you have a choice of places to sit.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Skyknight wrote:After seeing a screenshot…when do you suppose we can expect Grobda? >>;;;;
How'd I forget Grobda lmao :O Important game, directly inspiring Toyota-san to create my beloved Granada, and arguably Ex-Ranza.

I'd bet on that, Bosconian, and Pole Position (IOW, everything left from the classic PS1 Museum lineup) to arrive this year. As for newer stuff, I feel pretty confident Rolling Thunder 2, Splatterhouse and Phelios will be around. Burning Force seems like a dead cert too.

What I really want STGwise are F/A (that balls-hard OST Image) and NebulasRay, but they're all a bit further from that late 80s/early 90s sweet spot.

And a stretch, StarBlade - which I'd normally consider a longshot, but then ACA TGM came out of nowhere and seems to have been a success, post-patch.
Last edited by BIL on Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cfx

Post by cfx »

BIL wrote:
Skyknight wrote:After seeing a screenshot…when do you suppose we can expect Grobda? >>;;;;
How'd I forget Grobda lmao :O I'd bet on that, Bosconian, and Pole Position (IOW, everything left from the classic PS1 Museum lineup) to arrive this year. As for newer stuff, I feel pretty confident Rolling Thunder 2, Splatterhouse and Phelios will be around. Burning Force seems like a dead cert too.

What I really want STGwise are F/A and NebulasRay, and a stretch StarBlade, but they're all a bit further from that late 80s/early 90s sweet spot.
Phelios and Burning Force are the others I've wanted forever. They should do Cosmo Gang the Video while they're at it as it's cool and it's the same hardware.

NebulasRay would be great but as that's different hardware that doesn't appear to be used for anything else they'd likely release, maybe would be one they'll do later?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh yeah! I always forget Cosmo... it's one of those titles I've deliberately held off on playing, on the off-chance it'd get a home port.

I'm quite hopeful. With Year 1 having Pistol Daimyou come out of absolutely nowhere, and so many marquee names in the bag before and since, there's a pretty healthy margin for surprise picks.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Cosmo Gang the Puzzle is the basis for Pac-Attack .. in fact, as far as I can tell, they're pretty much identical.

Also runs on the same hardware as Tinkle Pit .. lots of other interesting "forgotten" games on this hardware. lol

https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=527
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oho! Thar be mah F/A Image

EXVANIA, I know it's probably some variant of maze chaser, but I want to believe that's the \m/etal as fuuuck grimdark counterpart to Toy Pop's nutcracker fantasia hardcore topdown tactical killathon Image :mrgreen:

Interesting time period, between their 80s glory years and the polygonal shift of Tekken/RR/Time Crisis et al. Was reminded the other day, the former once went by F/A's bloodening trackname RAVE WAR.

EDIT: I was way underestimating, a page back. Between ShotTriggers, ACA+NG, and all of M2's Contra/Castlevania and Namco Archive releases, it's more around a hundred for PS4 titles I have earlier ports of, if not the OG carts/discs/boards.

And that's rad, I like being able brush up on my Dragon Slayer IV and MD Kyuukyoku Tiger between credits of Assault without breaking open the highly fortified nerdbunker to hook up three different machines. :cool: I wish CC had comparable excellence with their Saturn stuff.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Exvania is like a bomberman clone, but with more powerups and a whip weapon that doesn't actually kill your opponents, but just pushes them back.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Interesting... I dig the whippyvania reference. :cool:

That reminds me, between maze-chasers (Pac-Man) and maze-shooters (Toy Pop), do Bomberman et al count as their own little subgenre? I realise now, I tend to subconsciously lump them in with stuff like Pettan Pyuu and Rompers, where you've got an always-on but generally situational attack.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Udderdude wrote:Cosmo Gang the Puzzle is the basis for Pac-Attack .. in fact, as far as I can tell, they're pretty much identical.

Also runs on the same hardware as Tinkle Pit .. lots of other interesting "forgotten" games on this hardware. lol

https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=527
You may be discussing this as an "also" thing, in which case, awesome, but just in case:
cfx wrote:Phelios and Burning Force are the others I've wanted forever. They should do Cosmo Gang the Video while they're at it as it's cool and it's the same hardware.
I believe you are right about the two games being identical. I have a Super Famicom Cosmo Gang the Puzzle, and when Pac-Attack came out in the US later, as far as I could tell it was identical. I figured it was changed because some marketer didn't think Cosmo Gang would sell in the US, even though the mechanical machines weren't that uncommon here.
Skyknight wrote:Laptops being the closest thing to portables before the Steam Deck, is why I mentioned them. Yes, you have to be sitting down, but at least you have a choice of places to sit.
The thing is, no one was talking about portables period, but you brought it up like it was the primary topic of discussion.

I get it, it's an important feature for you and that's fine. It's not for everyone, which you seem to have trouble imagining.
velo

Post by velo »

cfx wrote:Tank Force is part of the Switch Namco Museum. Is this the first ACA release that is also in that? .
All the Namco Museum games are in ACA except for RT2, Splatterhouse, and Galaga 88
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Astro City II wrote: Maybe if Hamster put the Arcade Archives series on something other than just Switch/PS4 we could all have this blasé attitude. I'll take the 'Shitty Connection' version since they're actually inclusive.
What's wrong with PS4 and Switch? That seems pretty inclusive to me.
BIL wrote: Tank Force next week. Image Super cute + Super hardcore single-screen topdown blaster ala Battle City and Toy Pop. (don't sleep on Toy Pop it's rugged as fuck Image)
Sweet! I've been wanting to play that game since I got hooked on Battle City some time back!
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Steven wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:I can only hope ACA will release Rayforce and Raystorm, along with Elevator Action Returns.
But M2 is doind RayForce and RayStorm... unless you just want the cheaper ACA price. Still hoping that they will get those out on PC since Taito seems to be good about somehow forcing M2 to release on PC.
If Hamster already released Pac-Man, Dig Dug and Galaga considering they're already on Namco's Arcade Game Series and Darius which is already part of Cozmic Collection Arcade, then I won't be surprised if they bring RayForce and RayStorm to the Arcade Archives lineup.

Also, this month feels like it's following a "Namco>Taito" pattern. Today was Galaga, Jan 19th will be Tank Force and Jan 26th will be The Newzealand Story, so it is VERY likely that next week's game might be a Taito game. ¿What could be, Gekirindan, Gridseeker, Darius II?
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Was there any confirmation of the rumor that Marvel Land didn't make it to the US Switch marketplace (+ others?) due to Disney? Or any other justification for its omission?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote:Also, this month feels like it's following a "Namco>Taito" pattern. Today was Galaga, Jan 19th will be Tank Force and Jan 26th will be The Newzealand Story, so it is VERY likely that next week's game might be a Taito game. ¿What could be, Gekirindan, Gridseeker, Darius II?
Gekirindan and Grid Seeker are Taito F3 hardware, that'd be a seismic event. :mrgreen:

I'm wondering if that Mazinger-Z STG from Banpresto announced a few weeks back will sneak into the last vacant January slot. Or maybe Ganbare Ginkun will break its years-long wait with the same lack of ceremony that Angel Eyes did. :lol:

Very exciting having Banpresto onboard... with Hamster owning NMK's catalogue, there might be a cat in hell's chance of seeing the superb caravan/time attacker Macross 2.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

BIL wrote:Tank Force next week.
Tank Force is actually in 2 weeks, January 19. Still no word on what's on deck for the 12th.
Sturmvogel Prime wrote:Also, this month feels like it's following a "Namco>Taito" pattern. Today was Galaga, Jan 19th will be Tank Force and Jan 26th will be The Newzealand Story, so it is VERY likely that next week's game might be a Taito game. ¿What could be, Gekirindan, Gridseeker, Darius II?
IDK that I'd put too much stock in trying to discern a pattern. Looking back over the past ~16 months or so (since they started releasing Namco games in September 2021) there doesn't appear to be much rhyme or reason to the release order and they have often gone through stretches of lots of Namco games in a row: 6 of 7 weeks in Sep-Oct 2021, 5 straight Namco games in March-April 2022, 3 straight in September, 3 straight in December, etc. If anything, if January ends up being Namco Namco Namco Taito that would probably be MORE in line with trends over the past year+.

That being said, it certainly wouldn't be surprising to see a Taito release in any given week.

I think we'll also see a worldwide PS4/Switch release of Ark Area from UPL pretty soon. Hamster has been systematically addressing the AA releases that have only been released on Japanese PS4 but never on Switch, and in that category they're now down to only Ark Area and Wonder Boy remaining (and Wonder Boy feels unlikely at this point). Who knows, maybe that fills the mystery January slot. Or some random NMK game. Or Banpresto :D
BIL wrote:Gekirindan and Grid Seeker are Taito F3 hardware, that'd be a seismic event. :mrgreen:
Yeah, they'll probably work through older Taito hardware first, but if/when they get to F3 that's gonna be big. BUBBLE SYMPHONY LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Before we see that, seems like a safe bet that we'll see more games from the F1, F2, and other 80s/early 90s hardware. I've been playing the Egret II Mini and noting some overlap with recent AA releases (Metal Black, Gun Frontier, Liquid Kids), and expecting that other Taito games that made it to that mini will show up on AA soonish: PuLiRuLa (batshit insane game), Growl/Runark, The Ninja Kids, Hat Trick Hero. And we'll still probably see games like Majestic Twelve, Rastan, Rainbow Islands... Lots of Taito possibilities still to come!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Does anyone have any advice for USAAF Mustang? This game kicks my ass hard for some reason at around the halfway point, even on 2P side. I don't even want to think about stage 8...
BIL

Post by BIL »

I got a scrappy 1ALL about a year ago, in anticipation of ACA Gunnail and Thunder Dragon 2's impending releases. It's a simpler, terrain-free hori with a really generous main shot, that relies mostly on the speed of its recurring formations. Mastering a response to each will go a long way; macro around this, pointblank that, bomb straight through the third. Like a lot of NMK STGs, you want to be fairly liberal with bombs, not just for damage but also repositioning yourself; their i-frames are invaluable.

Also, the bullet visibility is sometimes god-awful, most notably on the Africa and Alpine stages. I still like the game a lot despite that, but in case you're wondering, it's definitely not just you. :mrgreen:

Recorded a couple of stage demos, plus my method for the infamous final stage; might give an idea of my general approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnScG7OU2Ew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrWo0W-ISBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrtidqNk3ic
Steven

Post by Steven »

Thanks a lot. I have a tendency to hoard bombs in pretty much everything, and my play style wouldn't really change much if you took away my bomb button entirely. I should probably change that at least for older games... I never thought of backing through stuff with the 30Hz while using the bomb i-frames, though. I should try that. I definitely want to know how many people made it through stage 8 in the arcade back in the day without autofire, though. That stage is really rough, and it's pretty clear why they removed it from the MD Fire Mustang.

BTW WTH was with that last Amerikabomber on your stage 5? He blew himself up the moment he appeared on screen! He must have seen what happened to his friends or something.

I'll give it a try maybe tomorrow or on Sunday; I cut my right wrist on the inside of my Astro City's coin door last night (yeah, not sure how that happened, but apparently that thing will slice through human flesh pretty easily) and it still hurts a bit to rest my arm on stuff, so I'll give it a try once I can actually rest my arm on my arcade stick comfortably again.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blimey, sounds like Astros don't take kindly to coin pilferers! :shock: Glad you escaped intact, gotta keep them mitts in working order. :mrgreen:

I think the game just spawns those huge planes until a kill quota's been met, then slams the door on any latecomers. :lol:
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

BIL wrote:Damn, nice scores Myco and KevDDR! Glad to see people jumping on this.
didn't see this til just now, thanks.

hi score mode has a nasty bug where it starts from one of like 20 savestates so there's only ~20 unique piece sequences because the rando is seeded at game start, but im grinding away at original mode trying to beat my mame PB of 10:04 and hopefully get sub-10 at some point. this is the best ive got so far, done a few minutes ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujh3lfqjiTY
BIL

Post by BIL »

Aw crumbs, I hope they fix that :o Fuckin rickety-ass HS mode, doesn't take much to tip it over. :lol: Still annoyed it makes me play MS4 with cropped screen and JIZZ 4 BLOOD, what the fuck :evil:

I've never felt quite so outclassed as when watching you guys tear it up at GM level. :shock: Totally alien to muh brain. Will be using TGM to stave off dementia in my last years. :mrgreen:
dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

It looks like the puzzle-action game Qix (Taito America, 1981) hasn't been discussed on the forum, so I'll give it a brief but emphatic nod. Highly addictive---I've easily played it the most of any ACA title (runners-up Baraduke, Halley's Comet).

In the graphically-spartan Qix you are a tiny cursor moving about the rectangular perimeter of the game area, venturing into the center area to take "bites" and claim territory, cashing in the stage when you pass a fixed threshold (default 75%; exceeding this threshold in the final bite is a major source of points). Your main adversary is a randomly gyrating line-monster, the "Qix", whose touch kills any bite in progress. But you face perimeter-circling assistant "Sparx" baddies as well to ratchet up the tension and distraction, and they get more numerous and aggressive with time.
Spoiler
This game has features that are quite distinctive among arcade titles. Most fall under the idea of "emergent gameplay" (a feature shared with other territorial games, like Go, but also with tunneling games like Dig Dug, I suppose). This game is about as simple an engine as you could imagine to turn randomness into fast-paced excitement, and an empty board into a built environment embodying strategic ideas.

The enemy swirls about, and you try to contain it. You can take small, safe bites (but face time pressure), or big risky ones, according to your skill and appetite. (Impulsiveness and the "my own worst enemy" effect are strong factors here.) Bites are not just numerical progress---their shape and placement influences the random walk of your main adversary, potentially driving it into a desired area or shielding your subsequent bites from attack. (The enemy, in turn, has a bit of player-directed deadly bias in its random walk, and also seems to prefer to seek out larger areas to avoid traps.)

This creates an emergent concept of quasi-territory, as a built space in which you enjoy relative safety to act. But the speed of your enemy and the difficulty of containment also motivate a "disjunctive" approach, where you prepare connected areas A and B and wait to see which will end up containing the Qix. And even if it's possible to seal off B while the Qix is in A, it may be preferable to go and improve B's shape/trap qualities instead. Roughly speaking, narrow and/or spiky environments hamper the Qix's deadly movement, although spikes can impede your perimeter traversal as well.

The cursor has two drawing modes, "fast" and "slow"; fast is suitable for quick probes into the center and sketching out a territorial framework, while slow gives 2x points and is meant for cashing in larger areas. There is more to say, but given that I'm still a relative newcomer, I'll leave it at that. Fun, fun game!
JJHLH

Post by JJHLH »

Qix is a great game. I remember playing it at my local arcade when it came out over 40 years ago. I can still hear the sound of that arcade in my mind.

I purchased Marvel Land from the Japanese eshop since it looks like it might not be released in the North American store due to copyright or trademark issues with Disney. What a fun game! Love the amusement park theme. And the good news is that it’s all in English.