I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Fingolfin

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Fingolfin »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:They’re honoring the past, too. Looks like this week is Galaxian.

Even if most people probably see it now as “just” a bridge between Space Invaders and Galaga

Honestly, I was more excited about this than Metal Black...
+1

Perhaps not more but nearly equally excited about Galaxian :mrgreen:

Gettin’ old :D

It’s a good time to be alive (vs today’s a good day to die) 8)
Last edited by Fingolfin on Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

ACA Galaxian up now on JPSN! Dangun what now? Time to get the REAL 1970s STG FEEL :cool:

Waitaminute (`w´メ)
Spoiler

Oh FUUUUUU (◎w◎;) Mahfuckin time paradox, Snake! Image Roll on ACA Space Invaders. :cool:

---

Ahhh, mayne. Image A few credits at deafening volume in a pitch-black room is the perfect cure for a long dreary day. That steadily-thrumming pulse that becomes a death-drumming tattoo as the battle nears its climax - that's the sound of progress, son! FUTURE IS COMIN Image

In addition to PS1 Museum stragglers Bosconian and Pole Position, I hope the almost-as-ancient King & Balloon gets ACA release before too long. :mrgreen: Kind of in the Sasuke & Commander primordial phase where on-foot characters weren't quite the exotica they'd become as the still white-hot genre began to codify.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Good ol' Galaxian. I'm still terrible at it .. lol.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Everything I know about Galaxian:

A wealth of insights(^w´ )
Spoiler

Image Image Image Image Image

Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

My Galaxian play goes a little like this:

1. Start playing
2. Miss every shot https://twitter.com/ohfivepro/status/15 ... 3440622592
3. Lose all my lives on the first wave
4. Quit and load up Galaga, Galaga '88 or Gaplus

Certianly not knocking the game, it's a classic in it's own right, but I'm pretty bad at it .. lol

Not as bad at the NES version though! Although I'll also play Galaga and Gaplus on there as well. Galaga '88 on PCE is nice, too.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Very fond of the FC version Image No idea how accurate it is, but it's such a charming little early-days cart.

As for the AC version, only NAM-1975 can make me so uneasily recall this bit from Full Metal Jacket. :lol: Kinda zen, holding the autofire while tap-tapping along for MuhMuhMuhMuh... MONSTER KILLZ Image Probably sending my score straight to hell but eh. I just like these angry bees. Image
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

God fucking damn it! I just checked the eshop's "upcoming games" section and saw "Elevator Action Returns S-Tribute." Nooooo! Not like this! Not this way! Dear god, why? Why do Shitty Connection get their hands on Elevator Action Returns, while Metal Black is blessed by the Hamster gods? What cruel twist of fate is this?
Spoiler
I suppose it's possible ACA could still release EAR under their own label, but they never did with Rayforce. This news is very discouraging for me. I do not intend to give Shitty Connection any of my money for their piss-poor ports. This newest listing says it uses the same fucking awful "zebra engine" as all the other shitty connection ports.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

My guess is that Hamster probably not having enough manpower to create F3 emulator yet, they also haven't release any of Konami GX games too and according to some reports GX emulation is pain. M2 ported Salamander Portable which includes 2 as well and it runs on GX hardware.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Seen on Hamster's timeline... hey, kids! Can you 1CC Gradius II? (game pictured: fucking Gradius III) :lol:

Reads like a mafia execution ala Tommy from Goodfellas. :shock: Imagine getting to that house, expecting a relaxing GOFER afternoon, only to walk smack into a LEGEND TO MYTH blanket party Image Only the real mahfuckin Gs will blast their way outta that one Image
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

Sima Tuna wrote:God fucking damn it! I just checked the eshop's "upcoming games" section and saw "Elevator Action Returns S-Tribute." Nooooo! Not like this! Not this way! Dear god, why? Why do Shitty Connection get their hands on Elevator Action Returns, while Metal Black is blessed by the Hamster gods? What cruel twist of fate is this?
Spoiler
I suppose it's possible ACA could still release EAR under their own label, but they never did with Rayforce. This news is very discouraging for me. I do not intend to give Shitty Connection any of my money for their piss-poor ports. This newest listing says it uses the same fucking awful "zebra engine" as all the other shitty connection ports.
My cope is that this is the Saturn version of EAR, not the arcade version. Considering M2 is releasing the arcade versions of Rayz, I hold out hope that the arcade version of EAR will be released by a competent company.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

My Galaxian play goes a little like this:

1. Start playing
2. Miss every shot https://twitter.com/ohfivepro/status/15 ... 3440622592
3. Lose all my lives on the first wave
4. Quit and load up Galaga, Galaga '88 or Gaplus

How I long for a nu-school shooter where aim matters again...
It's been such a long, long time
velo

Post by velo »

Nintendo's AA games have gone on sale for the first time. Only 30% off rather than the usual 50%, but I thought it would never happen.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

”WE ARE THE GALAXIANS. MISSION: DESTROY ALIENS" :mrgreen:

So it appears that Moon Cresta ACA is the only STG w/ out autofire?
Suppose that’s cause it’d break the emulation/game within ACA’s emu.

“I’spose” in thick West Country accent a la Hot Fuzz

https://youtu.be/Cun-LZvOTdw

BIL

Post by BIL »

Ice Beam wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:God fucking damn it! I just checked the eshop's "upcoming games" section and saw "Elevator Action Returns S-Tribute." Nooooo! Not like this! Not this way! Dear god, why? Why do Shitty Connection get their hands on Elevator Action Returns, while Metal Black is blessed by the Hamster gods? What cruel twist of fate is this?
Spoiler
My cope is that this is the Saturn version of EAR, not the arcade version. Considering M2 is releasing the arcade versions of Rayz, I hold out hope that the arcade version of EAR will be released by a competent company.
Yeah, I think that's very fair to say. Wouldn't surprise me to see S-Tribute cash-ins on Gun Frontier, Metal Black, and Mizubaku Daibouken, despite all's AC versions being in pristine form on ACA, these being further Saturn favourites.

As to ACA EAR, Bubble Symphony, and other A+ goodies; as cliche as it sounds, it's really a "watched pot" situation, imo. After a near-decade's consistent work, Hamster have carved a legitimate niche, in low-frills, high-frequency, yet hobbyist-quality (and often hobbyist-obscure) home releases. Other than M2, similarly untouchable for super-deluxe boutique releases, virtually every other outfit is pushing laggy junk I wouldn't give to my retarded dog. He's very elderly and still loses his shit at animals on the tv!

It wouldn't surprise me to see Hamster take on ambitious projects like Taito F3, or Konami GX, or Seibu SPI, someday, but you'd go insane waiting on 'em. Another cliche, but I've found it a good time to catch up on the million arcade games I only dabbled in over the years. Become an AC OYAJI while u wait :cool:

I wonder if we'll ever see ACA Rayforce and Darius Gaiden. I'd happily double-dip for a job well done (M2's Ray'z obviously not out just yet). I picked up ACA Darius before Cozmic had hit PS4, but I'd have done the same there. (as Rastan has pointed out before, there's even a noteworthy distinction in it being 60hz vs Cozmic's PCB-accurate refresh... which is kinda like the PCB/60 switch most if not all ACA Namco releases have featured)

***Obligatory "Where the FUCK is my ACA Rainbow Islands" ;3
Fingolfin wrote:”WE ARE THE GALAXIANS. MISSION: DESTROY ALIENS" :mrgreen:

So it appears that Moon Cresta ACA is the only STG w/ out autofire?
Suppose that’s cause it’d break the emulation/game within ACA’s emu.
Might just be the ACA version's age; a lot of the very oldest (2014) releases like Rygar and Double Dragon lack autofire, HS modes and other standard-issue features.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I have a feeling the aging base PS4 hardware, and even the aging Switch hardware, have a lot more to do with more complicated hardware platforms not being emulated ..

I can sit here on my mustard race PC emulating the Switch itself, though .. lol.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, definitely. M2 have suggested as much, re: Batrider. On one hand it wouldn't surprise me if Hamster sat pretty until well into this gen (or even the next)... on the other, TGM lands next week, on relatively modern/finicky hardware. It'll be interesting to see how they do, there.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I have fond memories of playing the Bally Midway variant of Galaxian in both it's upright cab & cocktail table cab releases back in the early 1980s (when it was considered the "gold choice" to credit up a game with a quarter in those days of lore).

At the local arcade joint called Camelot Park back in the mid-1990s, they had an Dynamo upright cab with a 29" monitor running a "Super Galaxian" variant pcb setup. The larger monitor setup was quite a sight to behold when playing it.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

According to MAME, Super Galaxians was a hack .. don't know much about it. lol
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

That's cool to learn that Super Galaxians was a hacked variant pcb. Am not sure what changes were made to it but it seemed to play like a regular game of Galaxians despite the "Super" namesake added in.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BIL

Post by BIL »

Maybe it was SUPER VALUE Galaxians :shock: Buy it off BOOTPCBS.NET for FRIEND PRICE Image
CRP

Post by CRP »

velo wrote:Nintendo's AA games have gone on sale for the first time. Only 30% off rather than the usual 50%, but I thought it would never happen.
Wow never thought that would happen neither.

Dec 8th - Pac-Mania
scr: https://twitter.com/ohfivepro/status/15 ... 5627683841
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I wonder if they're going to fix the brightness/contrast issue that's plagued the MAME version since forever. It's way too low. Not impossible to fix (just adjust it yourself) but yeah. Kinda looks crummy in MAME w/o adjusting the brightness/contrast.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh hey, Moon Cresta actually did get Hi Score and Caravan modes patched in. :o Pretty recently too IIRC. Good on 'em. It does indeed lack autofire, but tbh if there's an STG where it's not a dealbreaker, it's this one (or Galaxian).

Interesting contrast between Moon/Terra Cresta and their Namco inspirations Galaxian and Xevious. Feels like the designers wanted to grab jaded Namco vets by the jaffers right quick, with Moon's first stage reaching YOU GON GET FUCC BOI divebomber aggression well ahead of Galaxian's. Not sure how each camp compares for long-term mastery value - men have dedicated their lives to Xevious - but I always dig the latter pair's unmistakable verve (and PUMPIN CHOONZ, in Terra's case - now that's a PWN on Xevious, oof!).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Moon Cresta is definitely on similar hardware and may even be a hack of Galaxian. I like both games quite a bit. That hit detection in MC is way strict, though. Shots won't register on some enemies unless they are hit right in the center.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, I recall hearing Moon shared Galaxian hardware... I wonder if it was a situation like DECO basically shoplifting Ikari to create Heavy Barrel (noted with wry amusement by Obada-san himself :mrgreen:), or something more formalised. Happily, both Heavy Barrell and Moon Cresta are excellent games in their own rights, alongside their SNK/Namco inspirations (HB sparking an entire rotary run/gun dynasty of its own, at that!).

TGM is out now on JPSN - controls seem tight, and performance rock-solid, but will wait to hear from Sumez and other knowledgeable friends! I don't know WTF I'm doing here, plus ca change since the ol' GB ver. :cool:

EDIT: Mihara-san I see u @ #11 on the leaderboards, many thanks even though u prob wanna ban me 4 buyin (AND PLAYING :shock:) ur game :cool:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

There's also this Moon Cresta clone for Epoch Cassette Vision named Galaxian.
BIL

Post by BIL »

:lol:

Brings to mind a hypothetical Raiden boot called Dogyuun.

Seems a patch is already in the works for TGM, graphics issue on Switch. Not surprised tbh, they've had day 1 patches before, and TGM's a big leap forward hardware-wise. Even M2 needed a few to get their Darius Gaiden up to its now-acclaimed standard.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Galaxain! I still need to get Gaplus. Wonder who owns the rights to Gorf? That would be a nice one to have too.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

After 10 years of living the good life, we got an actual TV and I've been kicked out of the living room :lol:

Still getting my bearings in the new room (it's decidedly more cramped with all my music stuff to boot) and so I haven't been able to play as much as I would like. The last couple of offerings from Hamster have been immense. Time to splurge on a new Japanese PSN card methinks.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BIL

Post by BIL »

Damn, nice scores Myco and KevDDR! Glad to see people jumping on this.
BurlyHeart wrote:After 10 years of living the good life, we got an actual TV and I've been kicked out of the living room :lol:
Time to nerdbunker it up :mrgreen: