I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Creamy Goodness

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Creamy Goodness »

I picked up Raiden, but it is not something I plan on investing too much time with through the ACA version. It is way too difficult to practice without save states or a training mode. I'm sure someone with talent can just learn the game by credit feeding, but no way I could do that before I burnt out on the game and would want to do something else. It is something I will pickup for a credit or two, get stomped out, then turn off the Switch.
SPM

Post by SPM »

ACA games have saves states though! (Well... just one at a time to be precise, but better than nothing).
Use the "Create Interrupt Save Data" option to save it. Then go "back to title screen" and start a new game to load it (you can do this as many times as you want).
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
BIL

Post by BIL »

Breakfast of survivors: use the Interrupt Save to master one-life clears of each stage, sequentially. Meanwhile, use Hi Score mode to practice full runs in the meantime. Consult internet/superplays as needed. Keep notes! Post about it on here! If a stage is 90% "ZZZ LMAO," 10% "HOREH SHIET WTF," then bump up your savepoint as required - don't waste your time! Keep it up and sooner or later: BOOF! You can (probably) survive! Image

This approach also has the benefit of turning soft cookie dough asses HARD LIKE WOOD, because you'll be used to playing at max rank (where applicable). Even if you lose a life here or there, you may find yourself unexpectedly aided by wiener Rank! Now, yes, in some games, the Rank reduction upon death is nowhere commensurate to the loss of powerups. And some games don't even have Rank - or powerups! Shit happens. 3;

Not ideal, but it's pretty workable imo. And better than MUH FUCKIN EXPENSIVE PCBS, TBQH :[ (and even some of my expensive carts/discs developed for home consumer use! 3;)
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

SPM wrote:ACA games have saves states though! (Well... just one at a time to be precise, but better than nothing).
Use the "Create Interrupt Save Data" option to save it. Then go "back to title screen" and start a new game to load it (you can do this as many times as you want).
At least for me one isn't really helpful. It may be better than nothing, but for me I'd need a few more for really hard games.
Marc

Post by Marc »

BIL wrote:Breakfast of survivors: use the Interrupt Save to master one-life clears of each stage, sequentially. Meanwhile, use Hi Score mode to practice full runs in the meantime. Consult internet/superplays as needed. Keep notes! Post about it on here! If a stage is 90% "ZZZ LMAO," 10% "HOREH SHIET WTF," then bump up your savepoint as required - don't waste your time! Keep it up and sooner or later: BOOF! You can (probably) survive! Image

This approach also has the benefit of turning soft cookie dough asses HARD LIKE WOOD, because you'll be used to playing at max rank (where applicable). Even if you lose a life here or there, you may find yourself unexpectedly aided by wiener Rank! Now, yes, in some games, the Rank reduction upon death is nowhere commensurate to the loss of powerups. And some games don't even have Rank - or powerups! Shit happens. 3;

Not ideal, but it's pretty workable imo. And better than MUH FUCKIN EXPENSIVE PCBS, TBQH :[ (and even some of my expensive carts/discs developed for home consumer use! 3;)
Yeah this is pretty much how I play. I've got the first two stages down, but even the second took a huge amount of effort. I keep coming back to it though.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Stage 2 gets me a lot. The trouble I have with this game is the "what if I need to scroll to the side and there's a tank there?" anxiety. So I try to mop up the entire playfield, usually ending with an unforced scroll straight into tank fire :D Still love it.

First credit using my arcade stick, not only got to stage 3 but also a fair way into stage 4. Fuck that stage 2 boss though, seems to take forever to die and I usually dodge one of its late phase patterns straight into the path of the other! This game is the absolute nuts at firing something exactly where you're going to be and not straight at you.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Ooooof!

Creamy Goodness

Wow...your reply is thankless and feckless and...

Raiden disrespect warrants my pointing this out; not sure where you are at in time and space.

I mean no disrespect in spite of words and tone.

I am no troll but an Ent and an Elf and an old man.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Kurt Vonnegut :mrgreen:
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

I apologize sincerely to Creamy Goodness and all here @ shmups.system11

That was too much and I humbly ask forgiveness

This site is exceptionally good natured for a competitive sport

My personal attack on CC was completely uncalled for

I accept banning if it is deemed just and necessary
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

EDIT
Pai Mei (Gordon Liu) from Kill Bill
gesture intended to convey acceptance and awaiting your judgment
NOT looking for a fight or conflict

I meant nothing rude, antagonistic, inappropriate or disrespectful
Last edited by Fingolfin on Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Why's this forum attracting so many weirdos lately.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

trap15 wrote:Why's this forum attracting so many weirdos lately.
In the case of at least some of them I strongly suspect somebody's testing out their machine learning AI. Either that, or a whole bunch of humans who can't pass a Turing test suddenly got into shmups.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

I sincerely apologize
Clearly crossed a line or several especially for a new member

I am deeply and truly sorry with no irony or sarcasm
Marc

Post by Marc »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Stage 2 gets me a lot. The trouble I have with this game is the "what if I need to scroll to the side and there's a tank there?" anxiety. So I try to mop up the entire playfield, usually ending with an unforced scroll straight into tank fire :D Still love it.

First credit using my arcade stick, not only got to stage 3 but also a fair way into stage 4. Fuck that stage 2 boss though, seems to take forever to die and I usually dodge one of its late phase patterns straight into the path of the other! This game is the absolute nuts at firing something exactly where you're going to be and not straight at you.
It's the 'wave' pattern that gets me, almost looks like you should be able to sit right in the middle of it, but no. I'm really going to have to watch a few vids for this one.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Marc wrote:
TransatlanticFoe wrote:Stage 2 gets me a lot. The trouble I have with this game is the "what if I need to scroll to the side and there's a tank there?" anxiety. So I try to mop up the entire playfield, usually ending with an unforced scroll straight into tank fire :D Still love it.

It's the 'wave' pattern that gets me, almost looks like you should be able to sit right in the middle of it, but no. I'm really going to have to watch a few vids for this one.
I never found this boss all that hard, I also do okay with the L3 boss though a lot of people say that's the hardest in the game. Level 4 boss and onwards though I have no idea of the pattern and it's always a 3 death / game over situation :roll:

Good tip to get around the "wave" pattern of the second boss - as soon as its finished shooting the large bullets in the circular motion, fly up the side of the boss, the wave pattern will not be able to hit you from there - just be careful not to get caught by surprise when it fires the circular bullets again when you fly back down to shoot it.
RuySan

Post by RuySan »

This thread is the best for discovering arcade gems, but I find weird that many people consider Saint Dragon obscure. The Amiga port was quite a success and the arcade game was ubiquitous. I remember seeing it in every arcade parlour.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

RuySan wrote:This thread is the best for discovering arcade gems, but I find weird that many people consider Saint Dragon obscure. The Amiga port was quite a success and the arcade game was ubiquitous. I remember seeing it in every arcade parlour.
Maybe they mean "awful" and are just being nice.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Flashman wrote:
Marc wrote:

I never found this boss all that hard, I also do okay with the L3 boss though a lot of people say that's the hardest in the game. Level 4 boss and onwards though I have no idea of the pattern and it's always a 3 death / game over situation :roll:

Good tip to get around the "wave" pattern of the second boss - as soon as its finished shooting the large bullets in the circular motion, fly up the side of the boss, the wave pattern will not be able to hit you from there - just be careful not to get caught by surprise when it fires the circular bullets again when you fly back down to shoot it.
That is exactly what gets me, I have a decent diagonal route through that wave pattern but almost always get caught by the next spray when moving back in to attack - I feel rushed because the damn thing seems to have so much HP and that wave pattern it does scares the hell out of me :D Calm, FOCUS! Maybe going over to the side will help
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Will do my darndest not to be a “weirdo” but as Popeye used to say “I am what I am....”

“A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.“

Cliche and trite now but as lifelong fan of Roald Dahl I was saying that before there was Internets.

BOT # 909.737.597

EDIT misspelled internets
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Fingolfin wrote:Will do my darndest not to be a “weirdo” but as Popeye used to say “I am what I am....”

“A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.“

Cliche and trite now but as lifelong fan of Roald Dahl I was saying that before there was Internets.

BOT # 909.737.597

EDIT misspelled internets
Might I suggest just keeping things on topic? Like about the Hamster Arcade Archive games and less Tolkien, Dahl, Popeye or apologies?
BIL

Post by BIL »

RuySan wrote:This thread is the best for discovering arcade gems, but I find weird that many people consider Saint Dragon obscure. The Amiga port was quite a success and the arcade game was ubiquitous. I remember seeing it in every arcade parlour.
Strictly conjecture, but I always got the feeling Saint Dragon was more loved in Europe than North America, maybe owing to the Amiga version. I'm from neither country, but I grew up collecting US videogame magazines - I only ever knew of the Amiga via visits to family in the UK, where Saint Dragon was indeed a frequent sight in friends' and relatives' game collections, as well as all the big magazines. One of our more prolific posters (since banned for his various incorrigible ways :lol:) named his account after the game, complete with Robo-Panther avatar. From Greece if I recall.

Then again, trap mentioned it being one of NMK's top sellers (along with P47 Thunderbolt, both names contributing to the later Thunder Dragon), so I'm sure it wasn't completely invisible on our side of the pond. Its only console version being the JP-only HuCard probably didn't help its visibility in the Western home market.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

Is it me or does ACA Raiden look really NICE?
I got it on PS4. There's just something about the color and whatever video/color adjustments Hamster did (or just emulating the source material better than MAME or Raiden Project PS1) but Raiden looks gorgeous with scanlines set on A3 or whatever you like. Maybe they use a phosphorus filter/shader to
give that arcade CRT 'glow'. Maybe I'm imagining it. Whatever the case may be, I've only played a real 1990 Raiden arcade cabinet 3 or 4 times, back in the 90, so I don't have much of a memory of the Raiden PCB.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Looks about the same as it always did to me on PS1, classily reserved near-future warfare just waiting for Raiden II's finishing details (flying shrapnel, visible blast waves, burning trees and absurdly detailed building damage - yo, I can see my bathtub! :o). Seibu always had some serious pixel art chops where gunmetal, asphalt, dirt, grass and sky were concerned, all of my favourite STG things*. :cool:

*besides dickmen (■`ω´■)

Spoiler
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BIL wrote:Strictly conjecture, but I always got the feeling Saint Dragon was more loved in Europe than North America
I'm sure this is the case. Here's the list of platforms it was ported to, which coincidentally - C64 aside - doubles as a list of platforms the Western Hemisphere either never heard of or didn't care about:

Amiga
Amstrad CPC
Atari ST
Commodore 64
PC-Engine
ZX Spectrum
MSX

If it wasn't on NES/SNES, Genesis or DOS, it didn't happen.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Right! :D
On topic, n’ no more weirdo, Tolkien, Dahl or apologies...

Would appear Vonnegut’s still fair game but will keep lit references to a bare minimum so no one’s gotta work the Google or grey muscle too much.

“I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
:|

On topic

Would anyone know if the Switch version of ACA Arcade Moon Cresta is autofire enabled?
PS4 version is not autofire enabled for whatever reason.

Additional Nichibutsu question

Anyone ever hear/read if Spinner Legion 87 might be released?

Has anyone noticed that the Irem emulation runs a little off?

In The Hunt does not feel like arcade hardware though it’s excellent to own a legal version that runs on contemporary hardware.

Might be a hair quicker on PS4 but likely that’s to be chaulked up to observer effect.

Gotta wonder how later Irem titles like Air Duel, Cosmic Cop and Fire Barrel might run?

And why no Mr. Heli?

Thank you very much for reading and considering!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Vonnegut will always be relevant to hardcore gaming and hardcore in general, many quotable quotes! Also, Granfalloon is a much cooler boss name than Legion. :cool:

ACA In The Hunt feels great to me on PS4. Never played the board, but those who have don't seem to notice anything amiss. Would love the see the other M92 titles in comparable quality.

Hamster have the rights to Nihon Bussan's whole catalogue, AFAIK - wouldn't surprise me to see any of their games hit ACA, outside of ones with licensed IPs or odd hardware interfaces (no idea if any exist, but M2 have mentioned Enma Daio won't appear in their Toaplan project due to its weird cab).

I'm hoping for Ninja Emaki, myself. Looks like a rad ninja run/gun. Great game, Moon Cresta. I like it a bit more than its obvious Namco inspirations, same with Terra Cresta vs Xevious. Nichibutsu's stuff feels a bit more immediate and generous WRT firepower/speed.

Mr. Heli... I always forget to mention it alongside Dragon Breed, maybe because its PCE version is so nice and all DB has is dodgy Euro PC ports (Dragon no Noroi? 3; but I bet a HuCard would've been lovely, going by IREM's M72 quartet and Hudson's R-Type).

Unless something's happened with IREM and Hamster since 2019, I don't know why it couldn't show up someday, along with the remaining M72s. WTB Daiku no Gen-san, none of its million FC/SFC/GB offshoots satisfy like the board do. Hell, WTB Tonma, even if its HuCard rocks.

ACA can be a frustrating series to follow strictly for big marquee names - they really don't come along very often, though when they do it's worth the wait. More importantly, they cover lots of less-visible goodies too, often ones with no arcade-comparable console versions (or none at all). Saboten Bombers is a good time in 1P and a riot in 2P mode, to name one!
---

Raiden's last stage is hard as a goddamn boner :shock: A biblical monster tank death-march, palpable tons of heavy armour rumbling downscreen with nonstop screaming air support. :cool: Just barely squeaked past the boss with no bombs left. WTF @ its desperation attack, I want to say I figured out a reliable 1-bomb strategy, but I get the sinking feeling I'm very mistaken. :lol: Nubcaek at work. Image Back to the drawing board, this one's gonna take at least another week for the 1-ALL, methinks.

>OH YEAAA, JERREHBAYNE

>THIS IS FIGHTING THUNDER mkI TO BASE, MISSION ALL OVER, GOING HOME TO PET THE DOG AND POUND THE LIL' LADY, OVER
>GOOD JARB FIGHTING THUNDER, GIVE 'ER ONE FOR ME HA HA HA, I MEAN YOUR WIFE NOT THE DOG, OVER

But that was only... SIMULATION Image Yall some crazy motherfuckers clearing this stuff out in JP arcades. Image Then again there's strength in numbers, you get five crazy motherfuckers under one roof and you gonna see some bible times shit homie! AINT IT NICE THO 2 have internet nowadays Image
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I with ACA handled twin stick games better. The Crazy Climbers and Karate Champ are stuck with analog only controls with no options to remap the buttons to digital controls or two controller support.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah jeez, that sucks. :/ Was thinking of picking up CC2, the concept doesn't really grab me, but it has some lovely pixel art and charming goofball tunes. I feel the same about Kid's HoreHore Daisakusen... I'm more drawn to aggressive arcade action than pacifistic stuff, but Nichibutsu were painting some very cute pixels around then, and the games certainly seem to handle nicely enough.

The analogue thing gives me pause though. I wonder if they might update at some point... I'd like to see Front Line and Wild Western updated to Ikari et al (and Tin Star) spec, ie, digital rotation inputs in addition to analogue. It's always best to have both IMO - you're never going to replicate a specialised spinner setup, but you can get close, between the speed of sticks and the precision of buttons.

I notice EDF fixed a bug it's had since launch, where the PS4 version would crash if you tried downscaling its screen area. A lot of the Gotch stuff has been quietly updating too, and Akumajou Dracula recently had its US and EU variants added. I wonder sometimes if emailing their support might shake a few things out, they clearly regard ACA in total as an ongoing project.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRFGCs2lh2o/

Yes BIL et al the internets is a wonderful thing!

i chee wawwa
Last edited by Fingolfin on Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Thank you very much BIL!!
Thank you all!

Great news and info all around — as always!!

Not supposed to apologize so this puts me in a tricky spot linguistically and logically — what would Chomsky or Aristotle say? — but although I am not a good or skilled player by my own account and accord, leaderboards, personal shooter history, etc a few ACA Arcade games seem like maybe 90-95+ % arcade accurate but again might be observer effect and/or user error.

Don’t get me wrong: It is absolutely wonderful that ACA Arcade exists!! I love the series and play ACA as much as CAVE 360 ports / Raiden Fighters Aces or PS4 M2 Shottriggers wonders of wonders.

I didn’t play arcade X-Multiply or Image Fight so no ancient reference points there, but did play many quarters of In The Hunt and Moon Patrol (via Williams in the US).

Moon Patrol also seems noticeably different from 100s of arcade plays worth of muscle memory. Moon patrol — can remember being so excited for a new and different shooter! Not sure how to frame or explain that nowadays.

Nichibutsu wise Terra Force and Moon Cresta feel weird but that might be due to some other factors; by contrast ACA Scramble and Terra Cresta on Switch and PS4 and Galaga published by Namco on 360, Switch and PS4 all feel spot on (not sure of devs/emulation for Galaga versions).

Could be I need to stand up and move my monitor/perspective?
At least until neural nets!

Sittin’ and or not leaning over an old table top has done messed up the whole darnfalutin’ Weltanschauung!

Goofy chiptune bliss https://youtu.be/A2-hlZTigZg

EDIT x2 brain fart on Scramble on new hardware