I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jonpachi

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Jonpachi »

Win Win

I Curse You
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Image Image

EDIT: Oh rad, it's out now. They could not have picked a more simultaneously offputting yet apropos thumbnail. :lol:

Man this is good. Bitesized kill-crazed stages and idiosyncratic yet sharply useful ninja/sheep controls. That ground-shaving shuriken and head-bopping somersault be HAWT. Image Cookin' BGM from Gama Delic as is to be expected, too.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

BIL wrote:They could not have picked a more simultaneously offputting yet apropos thumbnail. :lol:
They didn't want anyone to accidentally buy it, thinking it's in any way normal.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I would've gone with the Game Over screen's The Dying Slave. :lol: Which feels a bit prophetic in hindsight!

ITS TIME 2 PUT IN MORE COINS MAN (`w´メ) :shock: :cool:

While I always regarded this as a soundly quality game, I'm still pleasantly surprised by how smoothly the 1CC goes. Excellent Rygaresque handling, and very fair stage designs. With its bizarre dev history, I'd assumed the wheels would fall off at some point, but it's altogether very respectable in its simpler mode. It only looks and sounds like a deranged kusoge Image
Steven

Post by Steven »

BIL wrote:Astute choices all! hit me up if you ever want to talk Saigo (or click my sig for a humble primer Image Image)
Thanks, and I definitely will! I have that Saigo no Nindou guide bookmarked. Game's a lot of fun. It's Irem, so I am sure that I'm going to get a really hard ass-kicking eventually, like at that pit of doom. That's what I love about Irem, though; they were never afraid to give the player the middle finger and demand that you figure it out.

By the way, is there a difference between Saigo no Nindou's Japanese and international versions? I noticed that ACA seems to only have the Japanese ROM for this one.

I've honestly been putting a lot of time into Hishouzame, though... got my first arcade 2-ALL on Hishouzame and was halfway to the 3-ALL today. Finally, a 2-ALL on something other than Slap Fight MD lol

I must say that I am absolutely fascinated by this little dude on the Kettenkrad in the first stage of USAAF Mustang: https://imgur.com/a/n7XR8Ra

Why is he here? Why is he riding a Kettenkrad in the middle of a battle? Why is he the only thing I can't blow up? I will never know the answers to these things, but I salute you and will never forget you, Kettenkrad Dude.
BIL

Post by BIL »

NMK loved their tiny pixel doods. :mrgreen: In Mustang's predecessor P47 Thunderbolt, they actually have a gameplay function - the little half-tracks speeding along (Iron Cross flag proudly fluttering in the breeze) will raise your Rank if allowed to escape, Xevious-style.

Then there's this guy:

*** DEFENDED THE STEVE McQUEEN ***
Spoiler

Plus, The Tragedy of PFC Harbl McDavid, as told in Task Force Harrier:

LOOK HOW THEY DONE MUH FRIEND PVT HARBL MCDAVID (;`w´;)
Spoiler

Turned my lil homie into chicken & macroni, he needed them i-frame flips 2 survive on this hellish battlefield Image

Ah, the world of balls-to-the-wall army STGs. RIP those fleeing cars in Under Defeat's first and third stages that you have to ruthlessly demolish for 100% hit rate. ;-;7 (admittedly, even if you let the st3 car escape, it'll get blown to hell along with everything else on that bridge when the boss rolls up >_> :lol:)

AFAIK, Saigo's overseas version (Ninja Spirit) is more generous with POW carriers and checkpoints. Dying at a boss will send you a lot further back in Saigo. I'm quite in the dark as to any finer tweaks - I played a few casual credits of NS while writing the guide, and didn't notice anything amiss WRT enemy patterns/behaviours/stats.

A bit confusingly, while the ACA version uses the Saigo revision exclusively, it's called "Ninja Spirit" in US/EU regions, as well as on a Japanese PS4 that's set to English system language. Pretty much Hamster SOP - see also "Victory Road" and "Guerrilla War," which nonetheless solely feature Dogosoken and Guevara.

Bit cheeky, on one hand - on the other, I'm guessing it'd kill whatever casual recognition these games enjoy to re-release them under their Japanese titles. Plus, I'm guessing they know any Western aficionado who'll wince in disgust at the sight of "Arcade Archives: Orius" will do their own research to confirm it does, indeed, feature the unspoiled Japanese XEXEX. :mrgreen:

Incidentally, even Saigo's official PCB arts and flyer display the "Ninja Spirit" name (see also the PC Engine version, which I'm 90% sure is officially titled "Saigo no Nindou: Ninja Spirit"). In the game itself, though, it's nowhere to be found. It's only the Ninja Spirit revision that'll display that name, if you wait for a bit at the title screen.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BIL wrote:(see also the PC Engine version, which I'm 90% sure is officially titled "Saigo no Nindou: Ninja Spirit").
That is what it says on the cover.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Indeed - the manual and game itself, too. What's odd is, while IREM ported the overseas title screen with "NINJA SPIRIT" fading in, the PCE's checkpoints, enemy patterns and POW distribution are 100% based on the Japanese board (even in the TurboGrafx-16 release, which AFAIK doesn't even translate the stage titles - hardcore :lol:). I get the feeling they'd not decided on the more marketable name even some two years post-PCB, so they just slapped on both.

NB the Japanese arcade poster does the same as the later PCE cover, but the game is officially known as " Saigo no Nindou / 最後の忍道 " in Japan, with the Ninja Spirit title nowhere to be seen in-game.

Avoid eyestrain! Full res:
Spoiler

Image Image
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

BIL's commitment to Ninja Spirit / Saigo is the stuff of legends.

I will eventually have to give the game a playthrough just through sheer gravitational force.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

And the English text on the flyer confirms a suspicion I had—that the final stage’s mid-boss and boss are actually the same person (the Blind Priest is probably how the Dai Sokushinbutsu looked while alive and pre-lichdom). I don’t have sprites to determine whether the Blind Priest is the one who teleports away from Tsukikage at the beginning of the game, though.

The Dai Sokushinbutsu also manages to get worse, if he’s enslaving…inugami? Yamainu? Tengu (wolf variety, obviously, not crow variety)? Raijuu? I don’t know which Tsukikage is supposed to be.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Safe to assume it's the same elderly monk seen in the intro and the final stage, imo. They're visually identical, and share an imposing mastery of bojutsu. I like to think his master is there too, in effigy - the game opening before the statue of a Buddha, and ending in a showdown with a monstrously corrupt ascetic in the same lotus pose.

I get the feeling the old man is an apostle of that greater evil lurking down below. The use of "Mumyo" in his title suggests the Buddhist concept of spiritual blindness, or "Avidya," a dubious thing for men of the cloth to espouse (at least quite so openly... :lol:). I suspect we're not meant to take that as his literal, in-universe title, just an indicator of his wickedness and high station.

The instruction sheet's "mummy priest" is referring to the last boss, I think. AFAIK, he's known only by the generic title "Dai-Sokushinbutsu" - Buddhist Mummies were a real thing, with a few of the eerily-preserved corpses on display in Japanese museums.

Very Miyazaki FromSoft-esque plot, I quite enjoy it. Elliptical and terse, yet consistent, and anchored to some first-rate character and world designs.

Also, ascetism + ultraviolence is cruise control for cool! :cool:

NSFW (mild spoiler for Shigurui manga/anime)
Spoiler

dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

'Ah, the Five Point Motorboat technique --- it's as I feared...'
BIL

Post by BIL »

I can't look at that panel without hearing motorboat SFX now :lol:
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Shigurui has one of the most dope manga opening chapters of all time. Two cripples about to smack the shit out of each other! "Can the sword of the blind man find his target?" "Can the one-armed man swing his blade?"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh man, that reminds me of my dream game project: a badass showdown atop a skyscraper, between TWO master assassins: a blind dude with a bolt action rifle, versus his hated rival: a guy in a wheelchair armed with a katana and a landmine! :shock:

Searing feudal tragedy with authentically catastrophic swordplay! Recently re-read the manga after a decade or so, has aged flawlessly. I skipped the late Frogboy interlude chapters this time around, not for any lack of quality (though Frogboy is one offputting little SOB) - rather, because it's kinda sad knowing they would've plugged into a continuing adaptation of the remaining novel, something I still hope the mangaka will attempt someday. I was pleased at the effect; taken as the self-contained story of Fujiki and Seigen, Shigurui leaves a veritable smouldering crater of KANASHIMI in its wake. This is hardcore, kids! Image

The 12-ep anime was handled very cleverly, I think. The chapters it covers absolutely fly past, on the page... but what might've felt like a standard-issue "trailer for the manga" instead adopts a staggeringly heavy funereal pace, the doomful dirge complementing its woeful tale and its ghastly ultraviolence alike. This isn't Soul Cabbager, kids! In a duel of live steel - MANY-FOLDED NIPPON STEEL Image - one good hit will take your head, or leg, or meat and two veg CLEAN AWFF!

Man is born to carnage.

This world itself is Hell.

Arcade Archives: Flipull is out! (on JP PSN, anyway!) I know the name, but never played teh game. However, as with Jaleco's earlier puzzler Soldam, the moment I saw that title screen, I was BOUGHT AND SOLD! Image

EXCITEMENTS GUARANTEED :shock: Image Image Image Image Image Image

But do your own research, men, I implore you! TBH, while I am epicureanly smitten with shooting and stabbing and running to the right killing motherfuckers Image I am a bit of a dabbling dilettante charalatan asshole with these block-drop thingies! Image But by the same token, I am quite easily amused with them! >;3

Next week is what I'm really going for, the infamous Druaga. I expect - and require - nothing less than a living hell on Earth. Image
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I had mixed feelings about the games when I first played it in US arcades due to being able to run out of moves, but I later ended up liking the game quite a bit. For some reason, the arcade release was renamed to Plotting, but the GB port retained its original title.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oof, terrible rename. 3; Sounds like "Plopping!" Now that is something you DON'T want to associate with your arcade game, outside of exceedingly specific (and HIGHLY UNFORTUNATE :shock:) circumstances!

Next up: SCHEMING! Image (which at least has KILLER BGM! that Revenge of Shinobi-prefiguring ninja-funk bassline, and those bittersweet keys... Image)

Pleased to see even on my Gaijin-language machine, it goes by the much more likeable JP name. :cool:

EDIT: Oh neato! :o It's not a block-dropper at all, but a horizontal block-shotter. Kinda like a Puzzle Bobble or Magical Drop rotated 90', albeit more methodically-paced. Stately weirdpop BGM as expected of ZTT, sounds very Raimais.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Would you say it is... An exciting cube game?
BIL

Post by BIL »

TBH I didn't know WTF I was doing and kept dying seemingly at random to screenloads of kanji :oops: But that in itself is, indeed, alluring! Current status is Intriguing Cube Game, and gaining! Image
Mero

Post by Mero »

I played this years ago on PS2, Taito Memories. The thing is not to kill yourself by leaving yourself without a shot ( easier said than done). I made it to round 9 once, according to my save.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I think that's where I recalled it from, too! I've enjoyed seeing these titles get second leases on life via ACA.

Really interesting format for an arcade puzzler, imo. I'm so used to the classic "screen fills up = dead" Tetris model. This feels almost like a turn-based strategy via coinop. I do wish the movement and block-shotting were just a tad snappier - it doesn't have the simple kinetic joy of a Puzzle Bobble - but it's more than acceptable as-is. Fascinating and (as guaranteed on the tin :cool:) exciting!
Steven

Post by Steven »

The game says it's Exciting™ right there on the title screen, so that means it HAS to be true

...right?

How does it compare with the legendary Teki-Paki? I am not a huge fan of most puzzle games, but there are 3 that I absolutely love: Hanagumi Taisen Columns, Hanagumi Taisen Columns 2, and Teki-Paki. Teki-Paki is soooooooooooooooooo good. A puzzle game that somehow manages to have that same energy and attitude that Toaplan's STGs have... I'm actually seriously considering picking up Teki-Paki as my first arcade PCB even though I can just play it on PS4/Switch for free since I already have it there.
To Far Away Times wrote:BIL's commitment to Ninja Spirit / Saigo is the stuff of legends.

I will eventually have to give the game a playthrough just through sheer gravitational force.
You should absolutely play it. It's an amazing game with Irem's typical brilliant game design and it does not disappoint at all.
BIL

Post by BIL »

On first impressions, Teki nukes Flipull from orbit tbh. :lol: One credit pulverising blocks to the relentlessly thumping Raiden Fighters-esque BGM, and I immediately understood why someone was always on the cab at Toaplan HQ. :cool: A strictly dabbler opinion here, ofc - Flipull has an interesting concept I'm interested in exploring further, it's just not as instantly arresting or kinetic, or really in the same block-drop subgenre as Toaplan's game.

Along with Puzzle Bobble, and I'd also mention Puyo Puyo and its sequel, Teki's another good example of what visceral, tactile feedback can do for a puzzle game. The way its blocks are blasted out of existence is unmistakably STG-satisfying, similar good vibes with Puyo's fusing little bean doods, and PB's sniper-shotting chain reactions.

No matter your game's genre or ethos - MAKE EM FEEL IT, that's what I say. Image :cool:

Steven

Post by Steven »

When I played Teki-Paki for the first time I had absolutely no idea what I was doing... then I figured it out and I was like OH SHIT THIS GAME IS AWESOME!

It's got that same Toaplan "LET'S BLOW UP ALL OF THE SHIT BECAUSE IT'S COOL!" attitude that I love so much. I love how you get stuck and you're like "oh shit, I'm fucked... game over man" and then the game's like "Nope! Here's what you need to save yourself! You're not done yet motherfucker! KEEP GOING!". What a masterpiece. I recently saw a Tweet from M2 where they said that a higher percentage of Teki-Paki codes went unused compared to what they expected... that saddens me greatly.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Steven wrote:When I played Teki-Paki for the first time I had absolutely no idea what I was doing...
I'm still at that point. Would it be too offtopic for this thread if you quickly explained what to do? Or maybe you can point me to some resources where I can read it up and get wiser?

Re: Flipull:
I actually remember playing the Amiga port (one of the select few good arcade ports on the system) and enjoying it a great deal. I do remember that it took me quite a while to get into the game, though, which strikes me as hardly ideal for an arcade environment. It surprises me that it obviously was still successful enough to get ported to so many systems. The game was practically everywhere in 1990. Hell, even the obscure, Amstrad-CPC-based, GX4000 console got a port. A rather lovely looking one even. Strange that it was absent from either of the contemporary Sega consoles as well as the PC-Engine, as I feel it would have been right at home on any of those.

For some reason, in my head the game always appears as a companion piece to Puzznic, even though the games play nothing alike.

Damn, this talk makes me itching to play it. Exciting!
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I had Flippul for Game Boy. When I was a kid, the maternal branch of my family had get-togethers the week after xmas. The cousins (myself included) numbered 9. Xmas 1991 found that all of us had Game Boys, so one of my aunts bought us all a game for gift exchange since software for the ol' BrickBoy was cheap. Of course, the golden children of the family (her own included) got the really good shit, like Metroid II, Batman, Castlevania, TMNT etc. I got Flippul. I was polite and said my thanks, and I did eventually learn how to play it, but the associated resentment was palpable. My sister had Catrap, which as far as portable puzzlers go, was a far better use of my time.

So yeah, if I had a platform AA occupies, that'd be a hard pass from me.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Herr Schatten wrote: I'm still at that point. Would it be too offtopic for this thread if you quickly explained what to do? Or maybe you can point me to some resources where I can read it up and get wiser?
Sure. I don't think anyone will really care, so why not... and I think BIL probably has some good advice as well. I've only ever made it to level 99, but maybe someone else has made it farther than I have. Curiously, my highest score is actually at level 89. Maybe I detonated a few more bombs on that run than on the level 99 run.

So basically Teki-Paki is a modified ultra-high-speed ultra-high-tension Columns with explosives because it's Toaplan, but unlike Columns, you kind of have to actually practice the game a little bit to learn how to play it properly or you'll get completely destroyed by it... which I'm sure you noticed. Since you just have to connect 5 blocks, no matter the shape, you can basically put stuff wherever you want it in most situations as long as it's touching something of the same color. You could say that the game actually gives you a ridiculous amount of freedom compared to something like Columns once you figure out how to take advantage of how the game works.

Blocks will get culled by the game at the top of the screen if they get placed on a column that is already at the top of the screen. You can actually abuse the shit out of this to keep yourself alive a hell of a lot longer than if you don't. Basically you have to try to only drop what you need in that situation, and also take advantage of the diagonal connections if you are forced to drop something that you don't want. You can actually spin stuff and move it around a little even after it lands in most situations, and you can abuse this as well.

Like I mentioned earlier, you'll often be in situations where it looks completely hopeless, but the game tends to give you exactly what you need to save yourself in those situations for some reason, so if you play well (which basically just means don't panic when you think you're totally fucked, because there is a chance that you are actually not and just need to buy some time so the game gives you what you need), you have a decent chance of surviving pretty much everything if you stack your blocks correctly. If you have all but one of the columns filled, you can prolong your life by only dropping one block at a time to see if you can survive long enough to get what you need.

As I'm sure you are aware, the game will occasionally speed up by a shitload. When the game decides that it wants to be fast as fuck, you don't have a whole lot of control over where stuff falls. When I first saw this I thought I was completely screwed, but after some practice, I realized that sometimes the only thing you can really do is to let the game do what it wants, but you should still try to rotate stuff to make it fit into your plan as much as you can. Basically you can't do much but stay calm and try to do what you can when the game speeds up like that.

Random observation: Smiley blocks seem to often come in pairs for whatever reason, one after the other, which is helpful in a lot of situations. Drop those on your bombs if you can, as they can function as bombs if you place them correctly.

For scoring, there really isn't a lot to say other than to try to detonate as many bombs as possible and try to destroy as many blocks as possible simultaneously, but intentionally making blocks fall fast by holding down gives you points, so try to do that whenever you can. Clearing silver and gold blocks actually gives way more points than clearing the other colors as well, so you should definitely try to destroy as many silver and gold blocks as possible.

Teki-Paki is really weird because of how intense it is for a puzzle game because of its ridiculous speed, but when you figure out how to play it properly, it's a lot of fun.
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ I think you've just contributed the forum's best Teki Paki resource. Image Many thanks, I'm still strictly dabbling myself. Symptom of the times - so many killer STG releases both new and old, and tons of other arcade goodies on the side! Good problem to have. Image
OmegaFlareX wrote:I had Flippul for Game Boy. When I was a kid, the maternal branch of my family had get-togethers the week after xmas. The cousins (myself included) numbered 9. Xmas 1991 found that all of us had Game Boys, so one of my aunts bought us all a game for gift exchange since software for the ol' BrickBoy was cheap. Of course, the golden children of the family (her own included) got the really good shit, like Metroid II, Batman, Castlevania, TMNT etc. I got Flippul. I was polite and said my thanks, and I did eventually learn how to play it, but the associated resentment was palpable. My sister had Catrap, which as far as portable puzzlers go, was a far better use of my time.

So yeah, if I had a platform AA occupies, that'd be a hard pass from me.
Holy fuck that's intense :shock: I'd be a bit sore too, particularly assuming that was the second GB Castlevania :mrgreen:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm glad M2 made it easier for more people to play Teki Paki by including it with the first two Toaplan collections.