I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jeneki

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Jeneki »

I like how you can hop from enemy to enemy without touching the ground, if they are setup in the right position. Especially with the tiger, spinning around multiple dudes in a row is hilarious.

It seems like the main strategy is tricking enemy groups to separate so you can fight 1-on-1. Otherwise you can only hit one at a time and any overlapping enemies will smack you. Also the change button can be used to escape as it gives invincibility time, I guess this is why it's limited in use and you collect recharges.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Hamster uploaded the promotional video of Arcade Archives: Mazinger Z.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ1EgpzTEjU
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BIL

Post by BIL »

80s Beltscroller Orthodoxy: Enemies blink to let you know they're dead. WILD FANG: Enemies get their heads punched/torn/shot off while their bodies collapse in explosions of gore to let you know they're dead - also, chase down those errant skulls for points n' prizes! Image
Jeneki wrote:Also the change button can be used to escape as it gives invincibility time, I guess this is why it's limited in use and you collect recharges.
I'd come to the same conclusion - you can get really aggressive! Comboing to the brink of punishment, then tagging out - either to escape, or deliver yet more damage during i-frames. You can potentially finish off multiple targets, thus, leaving stragglers without backup and primed for uncontested beatdown. Entire waves can be wiped out thus!

Repeat as desired - exactly the bridging of finesse and viscerality to be expected of Tecmo's 80s AC teams. I dunno if NG's STRONG TEAM was all that representative of their entire canon, but they sure as balls collectively earned the title. :cool: The telegraphing of enemies' attacks is another recurring strength, recalling Rygar and NG. As with NG, not only do single hits hurt like hell, they also lead to a shitload of combo damage, escapable only with friendly backup - and enemies are in pretty much the same boat, giving both games a bilateral touch-of-death intensity I really like. They're both ultraviolent and ultra-stylish, yet more about boxing than brawling - you can't afford to take a smack in the mouth while closing in, the way you can in many Technos/Capcom icons.

SMOKEMAN ( :shock: :cool:)'s cocky laugh as he tags back in is so cool - man's having a blast beating beastmen bloody and bonceless! I notice he's some purple gremlin thing on the title screen. I much prefer that he's just a jumbo-sized Badass 80s Action Motherfucker in-game. I guess they wanted to avoid visual confusion with Blue n' Red. Image Image The former's pose in the Attract Mode is some seriously insane shit, on-par with the vicious slaughters seen immediately before - man's visibly twisting in righteous bloodlust. :lol:

Now, Ham-chan, GIMME FUCKIN SILKWORM PLS :shock: Or Final Star Force, that'd be nice too! But I wanna see their full 80s AC catalogue accounted for.
Sturmvogel Prime

According to Wikipedia, Darius II, Dino Rex and Violence Fight are the next games on schedule.
At this rate, we will be assembling another Darius Cozmic Collection: Arcade collection on a lower price.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_Ar ... te_note-25

(Pic just in case they delete it)
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!

jehu

Post by jehu »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote:According to Wikipedia, Darius II, Dino Rex and Violence Fight are the next games on schedule.
At this rate, we will be assembling another Darius Cozmic Collection: Arcade collection on a lower price.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_Ar ... te_note-25

(Pic just in case they delete it)
I have to assume that this is based on the Taito Milestones Switch release. We don't actually know when these are going to drop as standard ACA releases, right?
Sturmvogel Prime

jehu wrote:We don't actually know when these are going to drop as standard ACA releases, right?
If I have to predict, I'd assume that one of those'll be following Mazinger's release if we follow the "3 BNEI-Surprise-BNEI-Taito-BNEI-Suprise-BNEI-Taito" long pattern they occasionally use.

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I wonder if the game came out after Mazinkaiser if it would have had that mech instead of UFO Robo Grendizer.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I have Cozmic Collection but if the PS4 ACA Darius II is the 3-screen version as was being stated on the previous page, I'll certainly get that too.
Steven

Post by Steven »

For some reason I bought City Connection. This game is really stupid, but I think I like it. I might go for a 1CC or possibly even a no miss, but I haven't decided yet.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Mazing-a-ling-a-ding-dong is out now on JPSN, bit early, ain't complainin'. :cool: I just realised this is my second pickup from the IP, after the MD's quite nice beltscroller entry... whose Pythonesque "twat the boss's giant hand / foot" setpieces seem Straight Outta Wild Fang, in hindsight. Anyhoo, let's see how this goes, and FFS gimme Macross 2 you nutsack-tickling sadists, me fookin balls are turnin bluer than Max's barnet here! :shock:

EDIT: Ho ho hoooly fuck I am BEAST WOODIN at that BANPRESTO startup screen :shock: Only passingly familiar with the game itself, but I see there's an option to fix (or at least heavily mitigate) the counterstop? Nice. Well, time to get stuck in.

EDIT2: Pretty neat, even if NGL I'd punt it for Macross 2 or Akuu Gallet (or Pretty Soldier :cool:) in a heartbeat. Kinda Sonic Wings simplicity and accessibility, with a bit of Psikyo accoutrement (charge shot, close-ranged attack). Pretty wild setpiece early on with the train. Seems the charge shot has two stages? The third dude's flying scythe throw is hella satisfying, no idea if it's FO FREE. Come to think of it, the melee strike might be free too. Gahh, still got that brain cloud hanging on from moving house, gonna be a week or so before I'm back to full mast Image
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Why is Mazinger 15 bucks on the eshop? Did I miss something?
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Licensing fees are thought to be the reason for the price increase.
DenimDemon

I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by DenimDemon »

Thanks. Still worth it but later to me then…on the same day as Gunvein and I’ve gotta stick to my word that would get Gunvein day 1 on Switch.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Mucked around a bit more between IRL Bullshit, something I forgot re: SW/Psikyo - locked horizontal pan :cool: Much preferred nowadays. Love me Toaplanesques, but it's an additional memo layer I'm happy doing without.

Yeah, seems MECHA PAAANCHU is indeed fo free. Having a blast punching the shit outta everything! But you gotta shoot too, zako waves don't hang around. Pretty neat, vibe reminds a bit of Dragon Blaze, the only other "smack bitches in they mouth - FO FREE" vert I can recall offhand.

The VA is absolutely hysterical, had a roomful of plasterers crack up at main dude's "AIEEEEEE" hit sfx. :lol: This stuff is way out of my orbit, both geo/chronologically, but fuck man Nagai's stuff is immortal. Can I interest you chaps in some THEME OF DEVILMAN Image
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Proto-Huntdown on the way? Nice.
BIL

Post by BIL »

oshi :shock: ROBOPANCHU cancels bullets! Nice. It's got a generous "blast wind" effect to aid spacing. The first dude's robo has the baddest by far, a nice overhand punch in the teefs that screams Saturday morning superheroics.

This is one of those aggressive charge-shotters that plays great with [manual] in easy reach of [auto], so you can hold them both down and let rip the instant the charge is readied, before immediately returning to autofire. Some of those charge shots are rollickingly good. Blanketing hellstorms ala Batrider.

Loving the 70s Super Robo aesthetic, and those mutton chops on everybody. Not sure why the third robot is both the heaviest and apparently quickest by far, maybe he got a rocket up his ass? :o This ain't Real Robo, son, go to Cybattler for that! Or Macross 2, hint hint hint! Image
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

roketsuto ponchi or Rocket Punch. I have been watching the original TV series and enjoying it so far. First pilot is Koji Kabuto in the titular Mazinger Z. Seems to be the same voice from the original series too.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

You aren't paying extra for the license, you're paying extra for the glory of the stage 1 boss Train Nunchucks.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

jehu wrote:
Sturmvogel Prime wrote:According to Wikipedia, Darius II, Dino Rex and Violence Fight are the next games on schedule.

I have to assume that this is based on the Taito Milestones Switch release. We don't actually know when these are going to drop as standard ACA releases, right?
Nope, typically whoever has put the coming soon games on the Wiki page means it was confirmed for release, but generally we don't see dates and some of the games that show up there have taken months to actually release (Ganbare Ginkun has been up there for ages, for example).

Not sure if whoever updated that page is making assumptions here based on the Taito Milestones Vol. 2 game list, but presumably all Milestones games will also get a standalone AA release (as was the case for all 10 games in the Milestones 1 package, and 7 of the 10 games announced for Vol. 2 are already on AA).

In any event, it's interesting to see that they listed Violence Fight since that is not on either the Milestones 1 or 2 compilations. It's sequel (Solitary Fighter/Violence Fight II) is on vol. 2 though, along with Darius II and Dino Rex as the only other games that aren't already released via Arcade Archives. So it could be a simple mistake, or maybe it really is a new confirmation of AA Violence Fight - which, even if it isn't on the compilations, seems like a fairly safe bet to show up eventually.
jehu

Post by jehu »

hamfighterx wrote: In any event, it's interesting to see that they listed Violence Fight since that is not on either the Milestones 1 or 2 compilations. It's sequel (Solitary Fighter/Violence Fight II) is on vol. 2 though, along with Darius II and Dino Rex as the only other games that aren't already released via Arcade Archives. So it could be a simple mistake, or maybe it really is a new confirmation of AA Violence Fight - which, even if it isn't on the compilations, seems like a fairly safe bet to show up eventually.
Interesting - good catch, I saw that on the Wiki but glossed over it thinking it was on Milestones 2. If it so happens that Violence Fight I does drop, we'll have another compelling indication that we're dealing with insider knowledge.

Still hoping we hear something on the Warashi front - that's all still unconfirmed beyond the trademark filings afaik.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Cool that Mazinger has shown up on the Hamster's Arcade Archives platform. You might recall that Mazinger was shown in the USA under the name of "Tranzor-Z" back in 1985-1986. Another cool American Saturday morning original anime series that debuted on ABC back in September of 1984 was "Mighty Orbots" -- no official toy line/transformable toys produced to accompany that particular anime series was ever done (it would've been cool if done so). A second season of "Mighty Orbots" would've taken the series into further adventures/heights, but sadly, ABC cancelled it just after one season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaSJL18lJmw. This anime show was quite impressive for it's time indeed -- especially for the slick Orbot transformation scene alone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GzboBND43I. Of course, Tokyo Movie Shinsha (TMS) was the anime studio responsible for doing the hand-drawn animation for it. Mattel came up with a Mighty Orbot mock-up toy prototype but it was cancelled in 1985 (as a possible toyline to be introduced in the American toy stores): https://www.well-of-souls.com/orbots/mi ... otstoy.jpg.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote: Not sure why the third robot is both the heaviest and apparently quickest by far, maybe he got a rocket up his ass? :o This ain't Real Robo, son, go to Cybattler for that! Or Macross 2, hint hint hint! Image
Because it's the UFO Robo with technology from OUTER SPACE (despite looking similar to the Mazingers). OOOooo!

I'm surprised you didn't comment of Mazinger's "bomb" attack. Breastoo Fiyaaa!
Last edited by BrianC on Fri May 12, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sturmvogel Prime

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Cool that Mazinger has shown up on the Hamster's Arcade Archives platform. You might recall that Mazinger was shown in the USA under the name of "Tranzor-Z" back in 1985-1986.
You forgot to mention that Great Mazinger and Grendizer appeared in Mattel's Shogun Warriors toyline as Mazinga and Grandizer back in the 70's. As for Grendizer, the anime was shown in the USA as part of Force Five and in France as Goldorak.

It's worth to mention that Mazinger Z was a very popular anime in Mexico. RAYOS FOTÓNICOS!!

BIL

Post by BIL »

BrianC wrote:
BIL wrote: Not sure why the third robot is both the heaviest and apparently quickest by far, maybe he got a rocket up his ass? :o This ain't Real Robo, son, go to Cybattler for that! Or Macross 2, hint hint hint! Image
Because it's the UFO Robo with technology from OUTER SPACE (despite looking similar to the Mazingers). OOOooo!
Daaamn - I knew there had to be a good reason! :cool: It's like Frieza and #17 getting obscene gains in DBS because neither ever did a single lift before in their pampered lives! :o
I'm surprised you didn't comment of Mazinger's "bomb" attack. Breastoo Fiyaaa!
I did IRL, pinkie swear! Told everyone watching they must've named it in honour of Penny Mordaunt's recent star turn (bit of Crumpet Humours there Image)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I admit I didn't do my research and grabbed Blazing Star's ACA release. It's not great. Autofire options are quite limited, far moreso than in other releases. You're stuck with 30 hz autofire, which is inhumanly fast and entirely unnecessary. It's so fast that Windina skips boss phases and there's no slow autofire option for Aryustailm whose slow shot is actually stronger, so you have to mash with it to get actual damage and coverage (the piercing lightning beams are super weak). There's also no way to map Button 3 and 4, which you need to press together to select the third ship colours, so you can only use P1 and P2 ship colours. These aren't a big deal, and considering how many credits I've put into the game playing it in MAME, I'd say I've at least partly paid my debt to society by buying this. ;)

Omega Fighter's ACA release is amazingly fun. I'm making it to stage 7 on the normal version which then destroys me. It's getting me tempted to pick up the PCB of this.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah probably the most annoying thing is playing the Dino ship that locks its option position by mashing. With the too fast auto rate on Hamster's port, 30hz plus slowdown means the input will falter and make your options randomly start spinning just when you don't want them to. This was when they were just slapping the same options onto every game. Slugs are similarly hampered. Since they run at 30 fps you don't want a rate higher than 15. 30 is completely useless as implemented on the ACA ports. Luckily they've improved considerably since those days and tailor options much better on a per game basis now.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Oh man, I hadn't considered that, but yeah, setting the autofire that fast means the game will actually register it as a hold input when there's slowdown right? Oof.

It's a shame they haven't gone back and patched it, I can't imagine it'd be difficult to do.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah exactly, the inputs run together during slowdown and register as a held button. Probably the best solution is use a controller like a hori or other that alllows slower rates. IIRC boredom or some other Japanese player recently set a new record on the PS4 version but idk what they did about the auto. I'm also not sure how fair it is to compare to MVS scores bc there is far less sprite flicker on the ACA version if I'm not mistaken.