I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by BIL »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote:Just about time, that game was announced a lot of time ago. Hope we can also see Ganbare Ginkun and (why not) Final Star Force.
Final Star Force is exactly what I have in mind, along with a few earlier titles. Silkworm would be great to see, and also STRONG TEAM's spiritual successor to Ninja Gaiden, Wild Fang. (I generally refer games by their original titles, but that one's just too badass, especially for an astonishingly ultraviolent brawler :mrgreen: "Tecmo Knight?" nah...)

WILD OUT MOTHER FUCKER Image

Yo you tore my boy's arm off and ate he head, don't be gurgling at me cuz my tiger ripped your throat out bitch. Image

Riot seems like it'd be doable too, considering Hamster's partnership with Tecmo and ownership of NMK's back catalogue. Would be nice to see it finally given an official release too.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

You know what else would be nice to see? Eleva-

Eh, forget it. Final Star Force would get a purchase from me.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

The cash I’ve dropped on these is really starting to add up. You buy a few here and there and before you know it they’ve got a decent chunk of money from you. I guess that’s why they keep them coming.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Holy fuck, Namco quality overload the last month or so. Assault and Ishtar with brain-bending dual-stick STG and dungeon crawling, respectively; Toy Pop and Rompers with balls-instant topdown maze carnage. Not really maze chasers, because not only can you whack baddies en masse, you'll die if you don't! Picked up Pac n' Pal too, continuing a long-running tradition of dabbling in Pac-Man games without knowing WTF I'm doing.

Rompers in particular has really nice handling, some hair-raising crowd escapes from the off. The wall-smoosher mechanic reminds me a bit of Sunsoft's hyperunknown (and very cool) Pettan Pyuu aka BanBam. Very cute design work, no surprise to hear Splatterhouse's art lead worked on it. While I played the hell out of Assault's PS1 port, Ishtar and Rompers I actually kinda resented BITD, wanted more hardcore killing. :lol: Perfect time to revisit with a somewhat broader palate.

Just as ING said, they really went the extra mile with Ishtar. Exactly like Druaga, there's an onboard strategy guide for its labyrinthine game system - which naturally doesn't work in HS mode. Even in normal mode, purists can simply decline to assign its button; always good to have these options, I can't stand it when assists are lurking about the panel during serious runs.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

BIL wrote:Picked up Pac n' Pal too, continuing a long-running tradition of dabbling in Pac-Man games without knowing WTF I'm doing.
I've picked that one too, just for the sake of trophies (same with Pac-Man and Super Pac-Man).
BTW, the Arcade Archives version of Darius finally appeared on the American & Mexican stores last weekend.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I thought Wild Fang was the original title?

Still, never mind Elevator Action Returns. Where are Rastan and Cadash?!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ohshi, you're right. :o Cheers, dunno how I mixed those up. Keeps things simple. Image

Any of those three would be instant pickups - I think if Hamster ever takes up F3 emulation we'll know well in advance - but where the fuck is RAINBOW ISLANDS for fuck sake? 3; God damn, c'mon. PCE-CD one is nice, but no substitute (even its "Hard" difficulty is nerfed by less aggressive enemies, though it works splendidly as a "home arrange ver," with it letting you retry Islands for missed gems, and even save/reload mid-credit).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Not sure what's up with RI, but last version released officially was the odd extra version on the Egret II Mini. Only that version, but the instruction cards are for the original.
JJHLH

Post by JJHLH »

This week’s release is Tecmo’s 1996 2D fighting game Tōkidenshō Angel Eyes.

Next week’s release is Namco’s 1988 horizontal Shmup Ordyne.
Sturmvogel Prime

Calling all fighting maniacs: Looks like someone conquered Touki Denshou Angel Eyes in Caravan Mode.
https://twitter.com/akogiyaa/status/1583031450693083137
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!

Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

100% damage from one combo wheee. I guess that's how you'd do it in 5 minutes.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Those bad CG characters .. ugh. Do not want.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Touch of death combos are a mark of a fighting game's quality.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

You don't play Angel Eyes because it's a polished fighting game, you play it because it's goofy and fun. The fact the art is this weird mismatch that doesn't go together is part of the charm.

I'm really glad they added a practice mode in this version. It's pretty barebones, but it's a lot more than the arcade version had.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

JJHLH wrote:Next week’s release is Namco’s 1988 horizontal Shmup Ordyne.
The TurboGrafx-16 version was an all time favourite as a kid, I used to beat it backwards & forwards on Saturday mornings. Looking forward to checking out the arcade version, I don't think it's ever been released for anything ever?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ordyne is in Namco Museum v.4 for PS1, though it was a port rather than emulated.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

Does anyone know if Raiden II and DX will ever see a release for modern consoles through this?
Sturmvogel Prime

Furry Fox Jet Pilot wrote:Does anyone know if Raiden II and DX will ever see a release for modern consoles through this?
I also have that question and I hope they release them soon as long as they don't pull another "Namco Month" which delayed Angel Eyes and Rabio Lepus.

Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Ordyne is now available.

Pac-man seems to be a bit strong in this game. :lol:
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Jeneki wrote:Ordyne is now available.

Pac-man seems to be a bit strong in this game. :lol:
Yeah, I watched the Mikado demonstration of it for their STG matsuri the other day, and the player used that powerup extensively to great effect. What wasn't obvious was, when he lost it at one point, how did that happen? Is it on a timer or something? I suppose I could check the TG16 version manual...

e: the manual wasn't helpful
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ahh yes, there's me ACA Baraduke. Image Nov 10th, horrifying Pac-Man jumpscare aliens to come again!

Image Image
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Baraduke looks kinda awesome.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I swear this game inspired Air Fortress on NES .. lol
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sima Tuna wrote:Baraduke looks kinda awesome.
Good stuff, nice n' chibi-creepy too! Kind of Secton Z's "flying man" setup in a manual downscroller. Awful surprises abound. :mrgreen:
Udderdude wrote:I swear this game inspired Air Fortress on NES .. lol
Yes! Image Was literally just typing that, haha. AF's a cool joint, as expected of HAL. The sense of impending doom when you've nuked the fortress's core and have to escape as the lights flicker and elevators malfunction is among the most filmic in any action game to date.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Baraduke inspired even Metroid.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I wonder if it was possibly the earliest Japanese videogame to adopt that particularly O'Bannon/Giger vision of space horror? What I find particularly significant is its predating Cameron's Aliens (1986), after which the aesthetic became truly ubiquitous, via R-Type, Contra, Alien Syndrome et al... and where those games feature avowedly starfighter/commando protagonists, Baraduke hews nearer the nervous vulnerability of Scott's space-suited crew. ofc this being an STG/action game, Toby is Ripley-cautious and enters godforsaken xenohell appropriately strapped. Image

(via Vovatia)

It wouldn't surprise me if there were earlier JP adopters of Alien (1979), particularly in the PC adventure/RPG circles, but Baraduke is the earliest action/STG example that comes to mind.
Sturmvogel Prime

November 10th? I guess Hamster will take a break on November 3rd.

BTW, looks like this is gonna be another "Bandai-Namco Month". If that's so, hope we can see Phelios as an upcoming release.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Wouldn't surprise me if we get a Taito game next week, seems to be the pattern for out-of-the-blue weeks.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Yeah, when it comes to oppressive space horror settings, Baraduke and Bothtec's Relics are prety much considered to be the two sidescrollers which would inspire the rest. They at least got the entity and distinctness you didn't find before.