I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Skyknight

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Skyknight »

The whole point is for everything in the game to look like something out of the Wild West, or else assembled from many Wild West things. I don't think bronze-jacketed bullets were a thing, so...
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Really enjoying my time with Gun Frontier. What a game. Wish I could understand the Hamster stream…
Last edited by DenimDemon on Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm so thrilled Gun Frontier is now and forever Gun & Frontier.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I actually just got Vandyke (I know, not a shmup...). Pretty nice so far, even if I can't get past the second boss at this time. Trying to send the search engine after it here, I was a little surprised to find that UPL was extremely cost-bound at the time. I guess that explains why there are only five songs for seven stages and no boss theme. >>;

I doubt low budget explains the total lack of a plot, though; a backdrop plot is simple enough to just think up, yes? The one I came up with is that for eons, Bahamut has kept the infernal dragon lord Falak from getting anywhere near the world. However, Falak has actually succeeded at killing Bahamut, and is pushing his advantage before Kuyutha can resurrect Bahamut. Kuyutha, knowing the problem, instead bestows blessed might and weaponry on two nomadic warriors of the Vandyke clan, that they might destroy Falak and give Bahamut time to return. Too bad the bosses can't really stick to the Arabic theme I extrapolated from. I've given these names to them, though:

1. Girimehkala (I'm pretty sure that's Mara himself at the end of the trunk)
2. Delphyne (the Gorgons and Erinyes had legs rather than snake tails, I think?)
3. High Priest of Falak
4. Amon (as in the Goetic spirit)
5. Children of Falak
6. Azazel (or maybe Asag instead)
7. Falak (the shell is what's left of Bahamut)
Last edited by Skyknight on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

By the way, what settings do you use for the screen size and ratio? I'm always using the default settings of 160 and 100, but I'm assuming that doesn't give 'pixel perfect' scaling at 1080p?
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Metro-Cross from Namco is next up.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Looks like Namco disappointed us this time. I was expecting Fighter & Attacker or NebulasRay.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BIL

Post by BIL »

I admire your optimism. Image :mrgreen: Both of those would be a dream, but they're gonna coast on the old PS1 Namco Museum selection for a while yet, I'd say. Wouldn't surprise me if by this time next year they've done the whole lot. Hoping for Assault, Bosconian and Pole Position, meself, in that order of preference.

It's no bad thing imo, these are probably the most definitive releases of these games, and it's hopefully making Hamster some nice sales between the cultier stuff we love. I would tentatively say Rolling Thunder 2 and Splatterhouse will show up within the year, especially with their having recent Switch releases.

In addition to the two you mentioned, my dream pick would be Metal Hawk, the cruelly under-seen spiritual sequel to Assault. Has about everything that makes that one rock, from what I can see, just in a heli instead of a tank. Bangin' Hosoe tunes as well, ofc.
Klatrymadon wrote:By the way, what settings do you use for the screen size and ratio? I'm always using the default settings of 160 and 100, but I'm assuming that doesn't give 'pixel perfect' scaling at 1080p?
I just leave it alone tbh, but I'm hopeless at these things, and math. :lol:
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I can only assume the Namco stuff sells well with mainstream audiences. I don't expect Hamster to be pumping out games just for me, but it's a shame they've released so much of Taito's library without touching Elevator Action Returns and Growl/Runark yet. Makes me feel like digging out my old taito legends 2 disc.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Found some Gun Frontier artwork online.
Wish I had a better knowledge about this game before, kinda surprised how during all this time,I have neglected it. Im really enjoying it! Fantastic game.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Hoooly fuck! :shock: Those are BEAUTIFUL Image Reminds me of Yuji Kaida's Battle Garegga artworks, fittingly enough.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Looking for some help on Gun Frontier.

I can't find a screen setting that doesn't look horrible. I have it scaled up to the maximum size, which is still smaller than the monitor it's on, but the backgrounds are all fucked up and scroll in janky slices. Anyone got a good setting that is any bigger than the default micro size?

Additionally, what auto-fire settings are we liking? I read something about using one for basic play and one for bosses? I have one button set on 15 and one on 30, but I'm wondering if that's optimal?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Is that Switch or PS4? I'm on the latter, just left it alone and it seems fine on my monitor in yoko and tate alike.

I notice there's even no intermittent hiccup on the ship and other moving objects, as is to be expected in even the best of the best ports that run at accurately non-60hz PCB speed, ala ShotTriggers... I guess Gun Frontier's PCB is a straight 60hz? Gotch's older ACA releases do without it too, across quite a range of different hardware (Konami, Taito, Nichibutsu), but they seem like a real crack team, as befits ex-Rutubo personnel.

As for autofire, 6.6hz is the fastest you can shoot without raising Rank, making it extremely useful for hosing down stages. You should reserve faster fire for pointblanking big enemies, speedkilling boss parts, the usual. Here's a great resource for this. :smile:

https://shmups.wiki/library/Gun_Frontier/Advanced_Rank

It's really made the game, imo, getting not just that info, but a home release specially designed for it... very interesting system, acquiring (often vital) upped firepower in exchange for increased Rank. Like a proto-Garegga, as indeed Gun Frontier largely is.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

So Jaimers has just uploaded a Gun Frontier no miss. Damn! Now after reading trough his description I’m avoiding the bombs power up like the plague…
Learn quiet a few things with his video.

https://youtu.be/Ii96536yzWo
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Ok gonna say it. Gulp. I don't like Gun Frontier. I think it's a really interesting time capsule, and it's fascinating to see what "inspirations" Yagawa took for his own work, but I just can't be bothered to get into it. Sluggish ship, brutal rank, checkpoints, kinda fugly... there's just nothing here that I'm thinking about later and making me hungry to get back.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Herrr I love its looks ,very much indeed! it looks amazing!and the moody tunes are something else, really excites me to play it!
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Super Volleyball from Video System is next. So it looks like we might get the first Sonic Wings at some point (unless I missed it somehow).

I still want Cadash first, though.
subcons

Post by subcons »

DenimDemon wrote:So Jaimers has just uploaded a Gun Frontier no miss. Damn! Now after reading trough his description I’m avoiding the bombs power up like the plague…
Learn quiet a few things with his video.

https://youtu.be/Ii96536yzWo
Just happened to watch this (with CC on, of course) this morning while eating my breakfast and it’s really interesting seeing how much influence it had on Yagawa for Garegga. I’ve been aware of Gun Frontier for a long time, but just never got around to actually playing it. After reading about this new port, it seems like the time for me to finally give it a go. That last stage though… between the rank and RNG, it looks rough!
Sturmvogel Prime

Skyknight wrote:Super Volleyball from Video System is next. So it looks like we might get the first Sonic Wings at some point (unless I missed it somehow).
I was also thinking the same and I would be surprised if Turbo Force also gets released too.

I still want Raiden II on Arcade Archives, though.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!

RobotParking

Post by RobotParking »

I've just been bashing my head against Gun Frontier ever since it came out and loving every minute of it. Actively avoided video guides. Now that I mostly have my path for the first stage, I'll usually restart after dying since the checkpointing tends to screw up my plans. I loved learning little tricks and strategies every single time I played through. I still haven't quite gotten the hang of the bomb inputs yet, but I'll get there. I'm sure the difficulty will eventually get the better of my patience but in the meantime, it's just really cool to be able to play it.
subcons

Post by subcons »

RobotParking wrote:I've just been bashing my head against Gun Frontier ever since it came out and loving every minute of it. Actively avoided video guides. Now that I mostly have my path for the first stage, I'll usually restart after dying since the checkpointing tends to screw up my plans. I loved learning little tricks and strategies every single time I played through. I still haven't quite gotten the hang of the bomb inputs yet, but I'll get there. I'm sure the difficulty will eventually get the better of my patience but in the meantime, it's just really cool to be able to play it.
Curious… are you actively trying to control rank (lower auto fire, not picking up fragments, etc.)? Jaimers’ video commentary explains the rank pretty well and he’s doing a no miss run, which he points out is a played a bit differently than a normal run (shooting enemies he doesn’t, suiciding, etc.), so it’s pretty interesting. Looks like a fun game to route in the same vein as Garegga.
RobotParking

Post by RobotParking »

subcons wrote:
RobotParking wrote:I've just been bashing my head against Gun Frontier ever since it came out and loving every minute of it. Actively avoided video guides. Now that I mostly have my path for the first stage, I'll usually restart after dying since the checkpointing tends to screw up my plans. I loved learning little tricks and strategies every single time I played through. I still haven't quite gotten the hang of the bomb inputs yet, but I'll get there. I'm sure the difficulty will eventually get the better of my patience but in the meantime, it's just really cool to be able to play it.
Curious… are you actively trying to control rank (lower auto fire, not picking up fragments, etc.)? Jaimers’ video commentary explains the rank pretty well and he’s doing a no miss run, which he points out is a played a bit differently than a normal run (shooting enemies he doesn’t, suiciding, etc.), so it’s pretty interesting. Looks like a fun game to route in the same vein as Garegga.
Not yet! I'm still trying to get a handle on the bomb directions, so the more margin of error, the better. I've got Jaimers' video bookmarked for when I feel like I've learned all I can by just kinda poking around. I might check out some of the firing rate options just to see how that changes things around. But yeah: huge Garegga vibes.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Skyknight wrote:Super Volleyball from Video System is next.
Is there any reason to get this if I already have Power Spikes II?
Sturmvogel Prime

Pac & Pal is the next entry, which is basically worthless considering it was included in the already released Pac-Man Museum+ compilation.
You've disappointed us this time Namco. Still waiting for NebulasRay and Fighter & Attacker.
https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1564 ... 96/photo/1

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote:Pac & Pal is the next entry, which is basically worthless considering it was included in the already released Pac-Man Museum+ compilation.
Not worthless since it's stand alone, and the console versions of that compilation may have issues with input lag and emulation (some games use samples). It's likely the AA version would be emulated better.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

BrianC wrote:
Sturmvogel Prime wrote:Pac & Pal is the next entry, which is basically worthless considering it was included in the already released Pac-Man Museum+ compilation.
Not worthless since it's stand alone, and the console versions of that compilation may have issues with input lag and emulation (some games use samples). It's likely the AA version would be emulated better.
I had read the Pac-Man Museum+ compilation does not provide for vertical display for any of the games.
Of course, the Arcade Archives version will allow for proper display orientation.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I actually like Pac & Pal. Heard it doesn't have much of a strong opinion ..
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I like it too, as well as Super Pac-Man. I'll probably skip Super Volleyball since I already have Power Spikes II and the gameplay is very similar.
Sturmvogel Prime

BrianC wrote:

According to a comment on Youtube, the Arcade Archives port lacks the problems than the Museum+ version, but discards the rare and obscure Pac-Man & Chomp-Chomp release.
AlviEao wrote:"Pac & Pal makes its Arcade Archives debut for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch (September 1, 2022 worldwide + Asia), which lacks the same issues as Pac-Man Museum+, namely input lag among others. Only the JP version is present; there's no way Hamster is including the alternate version without paying royalties to WB Discovery, who's already in hot water over their recent decisions."

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote: According to a comment on Youtube, the Arcade Archives port lacks the problems than the Museum+ version, but discards the rare and obscure Pac-Man & Chomp-Chomp release.
No surprise there. None of the other games have the Midway versions either.