I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by BIL »

BrianC wrote:
BIL wrote:I had the old Arcade Game Series one forever - it's perfectly fine (pretty sure Gotch handled it, and I get the feeling they might be involved with the new ACA ones, going by a few options like showing the bootup sequences), but besides a slightly intrusive menu and border, it also takes up a fairly whopping 1GB (or something near it).

I ditched it and Pac-Man for their ACA versions to save space, though having said that, I wonder if that version of Pac-Man is different enough to keep around (compared to the rev used in ACA). Ah well, can always redownload.
I'm guessing they are both based on the Puck-Man version. Both have the option to turn the level 256 glitch on or off, but only the AA version has the hidden dipswitch options like the alternate ghost names listed here.
Great info, thanks. :smile: I'm a Pac-Man casual at best tbh, but it's always nice to know exactly which revision you're getting with such foundational games.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wow I actually thought the old Dig Dug and Galaga release already available on PS4 were Hamster releases, some of the early ones.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

BurlyHeart wrote:This is probably common knowledge, but I'm late to the game os please forgive me. Buying from the Japan PSN Store will still give English options? There's a sale on some Neo Geo games there - anything worth buying?

https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/cat ... ductGenres
Ooof I had linked to a site about mobile games. Apologies, gave a proper link now.

The games on sale from Hmaster's ACA NeoGeo ports:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Tempted by Metal Slug 5 and King of the MOnsters.
Last edited by BurlyHeart on Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Yeah, I pulled the trigger on Metal Slug 5 a few days ago. I gave it a quick credit feed, but nothing I saw did anything to dissuade me from my opinion (established in prior playing on older collections) it's the 2nd worst of the Metal Slug games. I won't say which I think is the worst, since that would just cause a big argument. The slide move feels useless 99% of the time and then is mandatory for 1% of boss fights or whatever. MS5 is also chock-full of autoscrollers. The submarine section is okay (it's not a scroller, so maybe that is why) but the other ones are garbage. I hate navigating around bullets in a plane with a bigger ass than a certain Ms. Minaj.

I'm not a big fan of the default enemy type either. They're boring to look at. Either they pull out the same attacks as soldiers from og Metal Slug, or they have some new gimmick that's obnoxious.

That said, the mecha Slug is pretty dope. If that slug appeared in every level and all the autoscrolling sections were removed (replaced with mecha slug manual scrolling levels) then it could have been one of the best MS games ever. For $4, you might as well pick it up.

I'm currently debating if it's worth to buy Ikari Warriors again for $4. Anyone who doesn't have Neo Turf Masters (it's the golf game in the image above-I forget the localized name) should buy it now. The best arcade golf experience around. Only matched by certain console-focused golf games, like Mario Golf.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Unless "the worst" is one of MS 1, 2, X, or 3, it probably won't cause much of an argument (and even 3 would probably be partly understandable to most).
There are defenders for entries like 4, 6, and XX, but I doubt anyone would ever claim they are among the best. :P
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh interesting, an SNK-themed sale. I hope we might see a few more SNK titles, they were on a nice run for a while there with most of Obada's topdown rotary run/guns in the bag. WTB Search And Rescue, currently only on console in semi-jank form via SNK40th. (SAR is so surpassingly excellent, I don't regret having SNK40th around, but its quality is dire next to ACA)

SHOCK TROOPERS is absolutely and utterly essential. Among the best topdown run-and-guns ever. Super smooth controls, tons of varied characters and stages, all of the above mix-matchable via Team Battle and route select. Bangin choons too.

NEO TURF MASTERS (that's actually the localised title, no longer in use due to legal disputes with the Augusta Masters golf tournament) is the kind of arcade sports game so good, it'll very likely hook you even if you've absolutely zero interest in the sport itself. It did me! Super compelling just-one-more-credit factor, with lovably goofy Nazca charm and first-rate HIYA tunes. Goes by its (much cuter imo) JP title Big Tournament Golf nowadays.

I've always been intrigued by ASO II, does some unexpected things for an arcade title. Happily picked it up on ACA pending a possible MVS cart. Handy guidance from MJR here! KOF2002 is neck and neck with KOF98 for the series' best Neo entry, and some of the best 2D fighting full-stop. Fighting games demand company to play them with, but if that's not an issue, it's an evergreen favourite for good reason.

Metal Slug 5 is the weakest Neo Slug, though that's not too hard a knock considering their general excellence. Takes a bit too long to heat up, though it does deliver very good third and final stages, and a genuinely excellent fourth.

COMMANDOOO Image Image Image
Spoiler

If you're new to the series, I'd suggest jumping in with MSX, probably the best-balanced overall. MS1 is just as likeable but a bit easy, MS3 is great too but infamously long and unforgiving; can't go wrong with X, which is both titanic, accessible and concise. Noise Factory's MS4 is best thought of as a mission pack / Official ROMhack; I actually put its action on par with Nazca's games, maybe even a bit better - it reaches their endgame difficulty earlier, where they tend to spike violently at the 11th hour - but it's nowhere as satisfying artistically, an undeniable selling point of the earlier games. Get it if you like them and want more+harder action.

(MS2 is wracked by utterly god-awful slowdown, something MSX hugely alleviated while adding a bunch of excellent new content - a curio these days, imo)

Ikari is an idiosyncratic classic. Simmering death-march intensity with lots of tactical improv. You're slow, but so is everything else, and your view of the battlefield is absolute. Only caveat is the memo-reliant endgame, but it's a trip worth taking if you dig this mode of slow-burning action. I'd say give it a try in MAME first, but the rotary controls are absolutely boned there. Conversely, they're as good as they could possibly get for gamepad, in ACA. Here's my recommended setup:
Spoiler
Looks nightmarish, but works a charm imo. Use the manual turn buttons for precision aiming. Use the rapid ones when you need to quickturn (this is more of a thing in its sequel, Dogosoken, which is all about sword slashing). Use the right analogue when you need absolute point n' shoot speed, technically surpassing the OG rotary sticks.

Sasuke VS Commander - primordial gallery shooter with a bit of run/gun panache, and some of the genre's earliest boss battles. It's a fun time, though as always with games of this vintage, YMMV. Does one thing and does it very well.

For a non-rec, Athena is a genuinely poor game, unfortunately. Busted fundamentals, annoying structure, lacking presentation... absolutely no match for its fellow 1986 SNK icon Ikari. Definitely try it out in MAME first, if anything. This game singlehandedly taught me that even as cheap, space-efficient digital purchases, bad games hurt my curator soul. :lol: For 1986, forget about this one and grab Argus no Senshi aka Rygar instead, a classic whose STGesque precision and intensity leaves SNK's game and a good 90% of other sidescrolling action games standing.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Thank you so much BIL and Sima Tuna. I primarily interested in Metal Slug 5 as I love the first entry. I would eventually like to try them all and form my own opinions on best to worst.

I was not considering the Golf game at all at all. But you both have certainly turned my head.

I actually have the SNK40th on Steam, but you're saying it's not up to par? Disappointed to hear that. I'll have to do a bit of research.

Great write up BIL, I genuinely appreciate that effort you put into the reply. My wallet doesn't, but I do :lol:
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BIL

Post by BIL »

You are most welcome, I'm always up to talk this stuff. :mrgreen: I'd definitely suggest MSX next if you like MS1, it's a near-perfect sequel. I love MS3, but it tends to sharply divide opinion with its infamously overlong endgame. As for the stuff listed there, the single best is probably Shock Troopers; just like Metal Slug, it's got airtight fundamentals, rampant destruction, and a wicked sense of humour, plus the Team Battle mixup is just superb; I wish more run/guns had experimented with it. Neo Turf is absolutely first-rate too, just not quite as surefire universal.

I've got SNK40th on PS4 - it's serviceable, but unfortunately it has some really annoying glitches that'll probably never be patched. The most glaring is certain rotary games, like the brilliant Search And Rescue, not having proper rotary controls at all; your dude will always aim in the direction he's walking, unless you manually hold the right analogue stick in place. Silly oversight. Then there's the audio issues demonstrated here. The single worst issue is the analogue sticks randomly freezing up during gameplay, necessitating a waggle to "unstick;" it doesn't happen often, but arcade games being what they are, it's never far from one's mind.

I hope the Steam one is better-behaved; from back when I was reading up on the collection, Switch and PS4 are pretty much identical (save for perhaps a bit less input lag on PS4, as usual; ironically, this is one area where the collection seems just fine to me).

On the upside, there's some really killer stuff in the lineup... on the downside, I'm waiting for them to make the jump to ACA. :lol: Early scrolling STG Vanguard, Rotary STG Bermuda Triangle, rotary run/gun Battle Field, and hori STG Prehistoric Isle in 1930 all rock, too, and I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting. Most of the other good stuff - Sasuke, TANK, Ikari, Dogosoken, Guevara, Psycho Soldier - is on ACA, luckily.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Might as well say it, just in case someone managed to miss BIL's endorsement:

PLAY NEO TURF MASTERS/BIG TOURNAMENT GOLF

Why the fuck is a golf game this good? I don't know, but it is. Play it.
it290

Post by it290 »

Yep. Neo Turf Masters is no joke in serious contention for best Neo Geo title of all time (and this is coming from someone who loves the shit out of Metal Slug, Garou, and Shock Troopers, and yet has sunk more time into NTM then all of them combined).
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Atariboy

Post by Atariboy »

BIL wrote:The single worst issue is the analogue sticks randomly freezing up during gameplay, necessitating a waggle to "unstick;" it doesn't happen often, but arcade games being what they are, it's never far from one's mind.
Incredibly, the stuck analogue problem can even happen just navigating the menus in SNK 40th. So it's not even an emulation issue.

How it ever happened in the first place, why Digital Eclipse 2.0 didn't care enough to fix it, and how it remained an issue throughout the seven month span between the Switch release, PS4, XB1, and then the final port to Windows just boggles the mind.

They even laughed about it on social media. I remember seeing complaints just a few weeks after the final iteration was released for Windows, with Digital Eclipse responding with the suggestion that the Switch port was ancient history at that point, of course they wouldn't be issuing a fix, and basically suggesting that their customers were acting entitled to even ask for a patch.

Everyone would be wise to be a bit cautious of Digital Eclipse 2.0 after such actions. I've supported most of their products and several have been acceptable, but their track record is very mixed. For every problem free release like the Disney Afternoon Collection, we get missteps from them like SNK 40th, the input lag ridden Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 (With audio issues to boot), etc.

Hopefully they're getting better and more consistent. They'll be releasing two big compilations in the weeks ahead with the TMNT collection and Atari 50th that should prove to be a good test (Especially their Jaguar emulation). Hopefully their emulation work and attention to detail will finally match their PR fluff and the flashy menus and such that have wrapped their earlier collections.

Ultimately it takes quality emulation, attention to detail, and proper quality control to do justice to classic games. Areas they've been rather neglectful of in some past projects.
Last edited by Atariboy on Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Indeed, I messaged Frank Cifaldi to ask about a possible fix in 2020, and was told the PS4 collection (then under two years post-release) was now "super old" and would never be patched. This was before I'd even noticed the random stick freezes - at the time, I was simply curious as to why Search And Rescue was refusing to allow strafing, no matter how I configured the Options.

Having resigned myself to the shitty, but workable "hold the right analogue" solution, I then noticed the godawful sound/framerate bugs associated with its Robotron controls, as well as the stick freezes. I didn't even know they could happen in the menus, that's hilariously bad!

Meanwhile, we have M2 and Hamster regularly patching stuff years post-release, without ado. Going by my experiences with SNK40th, Digital Eclipse are not serious archivists, committed to arcade-standard home translations for enthusiast use. They are nostalgia merchants, catering to nostalgia tourists. There's an abyssal void of difference between the two, and so I won't be touching anything bearing DE's name without an appropriately outsized bargepole.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Agree with the above, Neo Turf Masters is one of the greatest sports games of all time.
Atariboy

Post by Atariboy »

BIL wrote:Meanwhile, we have M2 and Hamster regularly patching stuff years post-release, without ado. Going by my experiences with SNK40th, Digital Eclipse are not serious archivists, committed to arcade-standard home translations for enthusiast use. They are nostalgia merchants, catering to nostalgia tourists. There's an abyssal void of difference between the two, and so I won't be touching anything bearing DE's name without an appropriately outsized bargepole.
While I don't think they support products for years on end like those two happily do, I find Code Mystics to consistently also deliver where it most counts. Not quite to Hamster and M2's level, but well above the reincarnation of Digital Eclipse.

They seem to mostly handle some of the better received emulation for Arcade1Up these days which I don't have any 1st hand experience with, but hopefully they're still doing quality work. Their other sideline in recent times is all those SNK Neo Geo Pocket downloads that have been popping up on the Switch (I plan to grab a few of these but haven't gotten around to it yet).

I blindly buy any release that interests me from these three without serious concern that I'll receive a product with major flaws.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

Atariboy wrote:
BIL wrote:Meanwhile, we have M2 and Hamster regularly patching stuff years post-release, without ado. Going by my experiences with SNK40th, Digital Eclipse are not serious archivists, committed to arcade-standard home translations for enthusiast use. They are nostalgia merchants, catering to nostalgia tourists. There's an abyssal void of difference between the two, and so I won't be touching anything bearing DE's name without an appropriately outsized bargepole.
While I don't think they support products for years on end like those two happily do, I find Code Mystics to consistently also deliver where it most counts. Not quite to Hamster and M2's level, but well above the reincarnation of Digital Eclipse.

They seem to mostly handle some of the better received emulation for Arcade1Up these days which I don't have any 1st hand experience with, but hopefully they're still doing quality work. Their other sideline in recent times is all those SNK Neo Geo Pocket downloads that have been popping up on the Switch (I plan to grab a few of these but haven't gotten around to it yet).

I blindly buy any release that interests me from these three without serious concern that I'll receive a product with major flaws.
I would've agreed but I bought the Neo Geo Pocket collections on Steam and they were considerably less laggy after I extracted the ROMs and used them in a 3rd party emulator.
Atariboy

Post by Atariboy »

I'm saddened to hear that. Past experiences with Code Mystics releases always felt very responsive.

I'll still give at least the Metal Slug pack a try to satisfy my curiosity, but with an Analogue Pocket coming this fall (Which is supposed to one day support the NGPC), I'll have a better way to enjoy these on a television.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

Atariboy wrote:I'm saddened to hear that. Past experiences with Code Mystics releases always felt very responsive.

I'll still give at least the Metal Slug pack a try to satisfy my curiosity, but with an Analogue Pocket coming this fall (Which is supposed to one day support the NGPC), I'll have a better way to enjoy these on a television.
I think these are an outlier tbh, I wouldn't hesitate to pickup Code Mystics stuff otherwise.
velo

Post by velo »

BurlyHeart wrote: Tempted by Metal Slug 5 and King of the MOnsters.
KotM just isn't as good as you want it to be
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I would totally love Metal Slug 5, if I could skip the opening canoe ride. Sitting through that part every. single. time. just feels bad and brings the whole game down.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Jeneki wrote:I would totally love Metal Slug 5, if I could skip the opening canoe ride. Sitting through that part every. single. time. just feels bad and brings the whole game down.
Maybe just set a save state after that shit?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

SeeNoWeevil wrote:
Atariboy wrote:

I would've agreed but I bought the Neo Geo Pocket collections on Steam and they were considerably less laggy after I extracted the ROMs and used them in a 3rd party emulator.
I think the emulator for the NGPC collections/titles has some aggressive V-Sync on by default. It seemed to be much less laggy with that forced off. No need to extract the ROMs since they are already in a folder in the game's directory.
Last edited by BrianC on Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Jonpachi wrote:Maybe just set a save state after that shit?
You're absolutely right, I should. I spend too much time in Hi-score mode, lol.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Jeneki wrote:I would totally love Metal Slug 5, if I could skip the opening canoe ride. Sitting through that part every. single. time. just feels bad and brings the whole game down.
I don't know what the fuck they were thinking there. >_< The opening knifer skirmish is just barely tolerable, then it goes catatonic with the hovercraft section.

What's even more ridiculous is, Metal Slug 3's first stage has a boat autoscroller too, which plays like a game design tutorial MS5's designers should've watched - starting with it being optional. :lol: Constant procession of tricky shots (it's deceptively easy to drown all your POWs while fending off enemies), lots of beefy destruction (RIP Mortar Trucks), huge payoff (ammo bonanza to PWN Mr. Crab with) - and it's a looker, too (granted, nobody could match Akio, Meeher and co there).

You can even enjoy some crafty i-frame tricks with a spot of Tactical Obesity! :cool: Bulk up in the off season, trim down for the big show! OHOOO, BIIIG! Image

ACA MS5's Hi Score mode does the same annoying thing as MS4's, where the screen edges get chopped, and censorship is locked on. :sad: I had to go with the totes sus normal mode for my 1LCs of both. The former feels claustrophobic, and screws with my positioning - the latter is just gross. No spraying cum in my red-blooded run/guns please. :evil: Image
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Both Metal Slug 4 and 5 could have been so much better than they were.

Metal Slug 4 is mostly awesome, except for a brutal, bullshitty final stage. Still not as obnoxious as MS3's final gauntlet, but bad. The rope section at the start is the worst.

Metal Slug 5 could have been the best game in the series if all the autoscrollers were removed and replaced with actual stages. The boat counts as an autoscroller imo. Keep the submarine level, but cut the boat, the plane and the car autoscrollers. That's like, half the fucking game. :lol:

But the remaining parts are pretty good. There's a stage that's almost entirely mecha slug. Pretty fun. A full game of driving various mecha slugs would have gone over well with me. It's not like SNK hasn't made enough variations on the damn thing. For a game called METAL SLUG, I've always felt that the majority of the titles in the series didn't feature enough Hot Slug Action. Metal Slug 1 got the balance perfect. Almost every stage has extended Metal Slug usage. And since the Metal Slug is the most fun slug to use, it's also why I feel MS1 is the best of the games. None of the sequels improved so much on the design as to invalidate or dethrone the OG game.

If another Metal Slug game gets made (and it's a 2d run and gun,) I hope whoever makes it builds it around a single new Slug or a few returning favorites. Every level should be built with "when will the player get the Slug" and "how does this level play when they're in the Slug vs not." I wonder sometimes if the over-reliance on autoscrollers in the latter Slug games was a way for the devs to ignore that dual aspect of building the levels. Since the player is forced into a vehicle for the section and must confront hazards at a set pace. I dunno, I'm just spitballing.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I am a total pixel art whore when it comes to Metal Slug, and as soon as I noticed that the original gfx artists were gone after Metal Slug 3, and fugly photoshop-processed graphics had begun to creep in, I refused to play or even look at any further Metal Slug games - even if the gameplay had been there. Reading these comments, it feels like I really didn't miss anything.. And no, unless they rope the original artists back in (or let me do the pixel art haha), I refuse to touch any further Metal Slug games. OK, maybe if Henk Nieborg does the graphics, then I may give it a pass. I am an absolute pixel art whore when it comes to Metal Slug.
it290

Post by it290 »

I stand firm on my stance that MS1 is the best of the series—I think the 'too easy' complaint only creeps in once you've played the game ten billion times, and pacing-wise it's leaps and bounds above the rest, with nothing that feels like a chore or filler, just rock-solid shooting and Slug action from beginning to end. The difficulty curve is delightful, ramping up with perfect precision, and the whole affair has a poignant 'world at war' feel that the others slip further and further from with their comedy, horror, and sci-fi trappings. Definitely not saying the others are slouches by any means, but MS1 just nails everything it needed to do.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Gun (&) Frontier is out in the JPN eShop. It's great, but you knew that.

The news for me is the more granulated autofire rates. There are a couple options in the 6 shot/sec and 7 shot/sec range that work really nicely for the 'window washing' movement sections when you're sweeping the screen and clearing zako. (The rates seem to be so hyper-specific, in fact, that I suspect they might map on to an underlying game mechanic. Anyone more familiar with the game - and autofire's impact on rank - care to comment?)

This kind of thing was sorely missed for the Hishouzame M2 port. Hope this is a sign of things to come, and perhaps of even more granulated autofire rates in the future.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

jehu wrote:Gun (&) Frontier is out in the JPN eShop. It's great, but you knew that.

The news for me is the more granulated autofire rates. There are a couple options in the 6 shot/sec and 7 shot/sec range that work really nicely for the 'window washing' movement sections when you're sweeping the screen and clearing zako. (The rates seem to be so hyper-specific, in fact, that I suspect they might map on to an underlying game mechanic. Anyone more familiar with the game - and autofire's impact on rank - care to comment?)

This kind of thing was sorely missed for the Hishouzame M2 port. Hope this is a sign of things to come, and perhaps of even more granulated autofire rates in the future.
OMG that's amazing. So excited to finally dig into this one!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Gun Frontier's out now in Japan. :cool: An STG that radiates righteous fury and violence with every firecracker zako pop. No surprise Senba-san was coding in his drawers alone in a sweltering office, while Hidetoshi Fukumori was stuck in an elevator peering through a barricade while composing. You can feel the anger, AND justice! Image

A couple of interesting autofire frequencies beyond the expected 10/15/30 - as with Trio The Punch's guaranteed bonus round-winning frequency, I'm guessing those are tailor-made for scoring tricks. Seems Senba will be on Hamster's stream today, should be excellent watching judging by his past writings. Guy's a riot, and clearly hardcore to the bone.

To think we'd be getting lovely home translations of such cultic essentials in this day and age. Image My only complaint is seeing this running in full flame-belching Garegga Zero glory makes me fiend for an ACA Metal Black fiercely.
jehu wrote:Gun (&) Frontier is out in the JPN eShop. It's great, but you knew that.

Happy to be ninja'd on this one :mrgreen:
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

6.6hz is the highest autofire rate you can have without affecting the rank. Trap15 (I believe?) has outlined how shot rates influence the rank here:

https://shmups.wiki/library/Gun_Frontier/Advanced_Rank

(You don't want to stay below that threshold all the time, though - give the bigger enemies hell.)
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.