I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Lemnear

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Lemnear »

jehu wrote:Apologies if this was discussed somewhere earlier in the thread, but I recently moved from Switch to PS4 and am looking for a few games I just can't find.

Is there a reason why Tecmo's Star Force, UPL's Atomic Robot Kid, and N.'s Terra Force aren't available on PSN?
:roll:
Spoiler
Translation:
You Searched: DARIUS
No Results Found

sometimes happens...and if you try again, they will pop up.

Some games are only available on specific regional stores for PS4.

EDIT:: in what consist the difficulty level for the ACA Neogeo and Arcade Archives?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lemnear wrote:EDIT:: in what consist the difficulty level for the ACA Neogeo and Arcade Archives?
ACA NeoGeo? Identical to MVS, from everything I've seen; Level 4 default, in other words. Even the odd early games that didn't always do this (NAM-1975 defaulting to Level 5, and ASO II using a completely different scale that varies between JP and World revisions) seem accurate to real cartridge behaviour.

As for the wider ACA series, they again seem pretty good at sticking to factory defaults. SNK and Tecmo's early/mid-80s stuff tended to default to "Easy," and so do the ACA versions of those games. It should be noted that "Easy" is typically anything but, in the likes of Guevara and Star Force (hence Tecmo's US manuals calling the default "Normal," with the upper difficulties "Special1", "Special2" and "Special3").

There's the odd outlier, like Double Dragon II. Apparently, the board's factory default is Normal Difficulty / Normal Timer / No Tatsumaki Assist. However, the US operator's manual suggests Hard Difficulty / Hard Timer / Tatsumaki Assist. This is really lame, imo, creating only a mildly spongier, stingier game, with lame-ass training wheels on the badass super move, which now no longer kills enemies as reliably. I suspect it was intended to keep X-TREEEM 80s kids busting out the hellaciously unsafe Tatsumaki on enemies who survived long enough to run the timer out. Get that money. :cool:

ACA uses the factory default setting, but of course, you're free to customise the DIPs any way you like.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

velo wrote:Here's the full list. First Hamster sale of the year, I think, and it's a big one.

ACA NEOGEO 2020 SUPER BASEBALL
ACA NEOGEO AERO FIGHTERS 3
ACA NEOGEO ART OF FIGHTING 2
ACA NEOGEO METAL SLUG 3
ACA NEOGEO NAM-1975
ACA NEOGEO REAL BOUT FATAL FURY
ACA NEOGEO SAMURAI SHODOWN IV
ACA NEOGEO THE KING OF FIGHTERS '97
ACA NEOGEO TOP HUNTER RODDY & CATHY
ACA NEOGEO ZED BLADE

Arcade Archives DRAGON BUSTER
Arcade Archives DRAGON SPIRIT
Arcade Archives GAPLUS
Arcade Archives MAPPY
Arcade Archives PAC-MAN
Arcade Archives SUPER PAC-MAN
Arcade Archives The Genji and the Heike Clans
Arcade Archives THE LEGEND OF VALKYRIE
Arcade Archives XEVIOUS
Arcade Archives YOUKAI DOUCHUKI
Till 8/6/2023 there's also THE KING OF FIGHTERS™ '98 ULTIMATE MATCH at 2,99€ instead of 14,99€ (Not the ACA Neogeo one but the 2018 version).
No idea on what are the differences between this and the Final Edition version (2022).
BIL wrote:
Spoiler
ACA NeoGeo? Identical to MVS, from everything I've seen; Level 4 default, in other words. Even the odd early games that didn't always do this (NAM-1975 defaulting to Level 5, and ASO II using a completely different scale that varies between JP and World revisions) seem accurate to real cartridge behaviour.

As for the wider ACA series, they again seem pretty good at sticking to factory defaults. SNK and Tecmo's early/mid-80s stuff tended to default to "Easy," and so do the ACA versions of those games. It should be noted that "Easy" is typically anything but, in the likes of Guevara and Star Force (hence Tecmo's US manuals calling the default "Normal," with the upper difficulties "Special1", "Special2" and "Special3").

There's the odd outlier, like Double Dragon II. Apparently, the board's factory default is Normal Difficulty / Normal Timer / No Tatsumaki Assist. However, the US operator's manual suggests Hard Difficulty / Hard Timer / Tatsumaki Assist. This is really lame, imo, creating only a mildly spongier, stingier game, with lame-ass training wheels on the badass super move, which now no longer kills enemies as reliably. I suspect it was intended to keep X-TREEEM 80s kids busting out the hellaciously unsafe Tatsumaki on enemies who survived long enough to run the timer out. Get that money. :cool:

ACA uses the factory default setting, but of course, you're free to customise the DIPs any way you like.

PS: Thank you BIL !!!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BIL wrote:Tatsumaki Assist.

I suspect it was intended to keep X-TREEEM 80s kids busting out the hellaciously unsafe Tatsumaki on enemies who survived long enough to run the timer out. Get that money. :cool:
Can you clarify what the Tatsumaki Assist option does? I've tried searching for the term but half the links are about Marvel vs Capcom 3 and the other two are YOUR writeups in R2RKMF thread, but I can't find an explanation on what it's supposed to do. :lol: Does it make the button input timing easier by several frames or something?
BIL

Post by BIL »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
BIL wrote:Tatsumaki Assist.

I suspect it was intended to keep X-TREEEM 80s kids busting out the hellaciously unsafe Tatsumaki on enemies who survived long enough to run the timer out. Get that money. :cool:
Can you clarify what the Tatsumaki Assist option does? I've tried searching for the term but half the links are about Marvel vs Capcom 3 and the other two are YOUR writeups in R2RKMF thread, but I can't find an explanation on what it's supposed to do. :lol: Does it make the button input timing easier by several frames or something?
Yeah, AFAIK, it just widens the input window, from "at jump apex" to "somewhere approaching jump apex." I honestly find it a nuisance, more than anything, since there are times when you actually want the plain ol' flying kick - here's one, those big fat bastards are scarily quick! - and the Tatsumaki is a total deathtrap. Looks RADICOOL though :3

I'm probably deranged by too much FC DD2, with its genuinely strict True Rising Dragon Sovereign Knee To Grill Asplosion input window. :cool: But I don't find the default AC Tatsumaki timing hard at all. I outlined it a bit here - also (a few posts down) featuring the super-lame Hard Difficulty! Look at this corny shit!

The man Roper's head bouncing off walls like a bad cheque Image
Spoiler

A st1 zako eating two Tatsumakis? I mean I'm grateful, in a way - he lived obligingly long enough to demonstrate both stunned and raw timings - but good gravy. As if surviving a gravity-defying shoe to the temple isn't bad enough, imagine the poor prick getting up after bouncing skull-first off a goddamn building! He'd be walking about with a dome like the Toxic Avenger's! ACDD2 Hard is sorta lame imo. Normal is a fine time though! :cool: Simple, repetitive, unforgiving, yet a good deal more finessed than it might appear in replays.

More people should play Crime Fighters 2 / Vendetta, Konami's perfection of the gritty, ruthless Technos head-stomper. Stuns galore! The only beater I know where thoroughly-stomped enemies will recover in dizzy state - yo, it's a paving slab not a futon homie, and this shoe in your side sure as shit ain't no shiatsu! Image

"Pimping ain't easy" you say? JUST GOT WORSE I'M AN ANGRY GAY GUY (■`w´■)
Spoiler

NOT ME FOOKIN PLUMS M8 (◎w◎;)
Spoiler

Just stick to Yellow Dude / JCVD and Blue Dude / Hulkster, the other two suck AFAIK. Actual footage of Green aka Mr. T's disgracefully uncool True Flying Dolphin Sovereign Cannonball Header: :oops:

Spoiler

I must return for the Nomiss 2ALL, it's a fiendishly well-tailored brawler. ACA one perfects it by making the third attack - A+B - its own button, turning into a bonafide three-button ala Technos. [P] [J] [K], all set. Image

FIGHTING IN THE STREETS.MP3
Spoiler
BIL

Post by BIL »

ACA Bravo/Beraboh/BravooMan bringing that kick harness hotness. :cool: The ACA version handles the arcade's pressure-sensitive controls (I think they are? two buttons with three feedback levels apiece, anyway...) pretty well, I think. Type A is timing-based, not my favourite in precision action games. Type C is twinstick analogue, again a bit floppy, though I could see adjusting to it. Type B seems the ideal, at first glance, going with a SFC SFII-styled 6button layout; three buttons of escalating power apiece for [attack] and [jump]. Not exactly a model of excellence, next to good ol' attack/jump/bomb, but in the game's big, broad-brush context it seems alright.

Game seems alright overall, if possibly a bit targeted at younger and/or non-gaming audiences. Lots of vintage superhero manga charm. Bravoman sure gives some good head! Feels very much an action sidescroller of its time, emphasis on big chunky sprites over spartan efficiency. tbh my main criticism from the brief credits I played is the rather aggressively brake-slamming tutorial/dialogue bubbles. Nothing as godawful as say Rockman X5's secretary talking your ear off, but noticeable in coinop context. Seems every other stage is a hori STG, a pretty decent one too judging by the first at least. Nice and busy.

An easy nice/10, presented with Hamster's customary care. Bring on Splatterhouse pls Image

Love the villain dude's aggressive wanking arm during cutscenes. :cool: Also that ninja stage artwork be hawt :shock:

BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Up next:
Spoiler
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Gonna get splattered for the occasion (don't ask what that means).
BIL

Post by BIL »

BurlyHeart wrote:Up next:
Spoiler
I just splattered all over my house Image Image Image

Did a little reading on Bravoman, holy cow - seems it was a real 1930s Tokusatsu lover's passion project, via its direrctor the great Norio Nakagata, who I mostly knew for his compositions like the classic Genpei Toumaden, and the underrated, truly unusual prog/thrash of Abarenbou Tengu aka Zombie Nation.

Whose ghastly themes make a lot of sense considering Nakagata was also Genpei's director. Mostly known for its destructible scenery and the most deliberately awful STG controls ever (Hard mode = driver assist OFF), but dig these relentless whiplashing tunes! Straight outta Killing Technology. Nakagata recently composed legit new BGM for ACA Thunder Ceptor (enable it in Preference Settings), super cool.

Anyway apparently the pressure-sensitive buttons were despised by Namco tech, always breaking. Street Fighter vibes all over. RIP buttons!
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Splatterhouse is in two weeks, not one. I don’t think we know the intervening game yet?
MJR

Post by MJR »

Splatterhouse? Nice :D
That was the very first PCB I collected 20 years ago, I already knew the game inside out back in 1989, and I used to be able to do all kinds of tricks with it, speedruns, no-weapon runs, I also know how to milk some extra millions from the last boss (beat it down to 1hp, wait for the blue orb to appear, kill it, let orb kill you, rinse and repeat).
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm pretty happy, all my big wants (Metal Hawk, Rolling Thunder 2, and Splatterhouse) arrived within 6mos. Image

Other than a bit of dabbling with the PCE port, I've somehow avoided the AC SH1 all these years, despite playing lots and lots of its three home sequels (particularly the MD's Part 3). Only Part 2 really resembling the arcade game, of those (Wanpakui Graffiti is more of a Wonder Boy run n' jump, Part 3 is a beltscroller).

This is the sort of "new to you" home release I enjoy the most, see also Phelios. :cool:
Skyknight wrote:Splatterhouse is in two weeks, not one. I don’t think we know the intervening game yet?
Offhand, seems like another sneaky [other] pick announced day-of. Silkworm pls :cool:

Wouldn't surprise me to see War of Aero or Mad Shark. It's a pretty nice slate atm, Namco/Taito/Other, with the third bracket including Tecmo, Banpresto, Arika, and even those lovable shitbirds Allumer.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I haven't checked ACA in a while, but I am definitely interested in Bravoman despite being lukewarm on the PC Engine port (which I suppose is natural given the limitations). Like other namco games it's more for the style and panache than laser-focused design.

Speak of the devil, Splatterhouse too! Not to be confused with Splatterhouse 2. Love the game so much, and love that punchy sound effect of enemies turning into mush. Can't wait!
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Wouldn’t Grand Master Tetris be the Other game here? Meaning I’m suspecting Taito. If so, hopefully Cadash or Rastan Saga I.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Regarding Taito games i hope that Super QIX will get a release soon.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Skyknight wrote:Wouldn’t Grand Master Tetris be the Other game here? Meaning I’m suspecting Taito. If so, hopefully Cadash or Rastan Saga I.
I wondered the same, but Taito and Namco stuff tends to be announced a fortnight in advance. I'd actually forgotten about Rastan, and Rainbow Islands, god damn... :lol: I mean TNZS did arrive just this year, finally, so it's not like they don't have form with epic blueballers of Actual Taito Legends.

We can never write off Ganbare Ginkun either :cool:
jehu

Post by jehu »

The Xexex enemy bug mentioned here not too long ago has just been patched. Impossible not to love these guys.

Continues to be the Summer of ACA for me. Already bagged a few clears and after several more... Still hoping for Night Striker, Assault Plus, Burning Force, Rapid Hero, NMK Macross, Daioh, Raiden II, Shienryu, F/A. Hell, I'd even love me Master of Weapon, Blast Off, Strato Fighter, Super Star Force, Acrobat Mission, Ashura Blaster, Insector X.

Trying to 'manifest' my desires. I hum a little prayer before I go to bed each night. Just you wait, it'll work.
BIL

Post by BIL »

jehu wrote:The Xexex enemy bug mentioned here not too long ago has just been patched. Impossible not to love these guys.
Ha, I know. :mrgreen: Image Serious fellows. That TLC is a rarity in the console emulation field.

F/A is the shadow fourth member of my Metal Hawk/Rolling Thunder 2/Splatterhouse Namco wants... it's actually kinda charming to see Namco try their hand at a no-frills Toaplanesque, and most of all, that proto-RaidenFighters OST is HAWT Image

For Taito, I hope Thunder Fox gets a look in at some point. I've long since accepted that Rastan and Rainbow Islands will show up out of nowhere or not at all, but TF's a far lesser-known with some first-rate quality. Ironically got an MD port while Rastan didn't... it's no good, the AC one feels like it's running in fast-forward afterwards. Blitzkrieg hybrid of Rolling Thunder's tactical run/gun and The Ninja Warriors' freestyle crowd mower.

SAFETY FIRST KIDS Image Image
Spoiler
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Looks like they're hinting Darius II in this post
https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1668 ... 33/photo/1
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hm, I noticed that too. Also saw WIZ is playing Kiki Kaikai's caravan mode. :cool:

Steven mentioned Mikado installing Banpresto's Sailor Moon beater, I wonder about that one too.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Spent some time this past weekend with Konami Arcade Archives beat-em-up action - Crime Fighters and Vendetta/CF2. SO MANY FEELINGS, and you all are some of the very few people who will understand. My coworkers do not seem to get it, and I'm asking for an unwanted conversation with HR if I keep it up (thanks, Crime Fighters!)

1) Crime Fighters, wow. TERRIBLE game with awful collision detection, bad graphics, unfair gameplay. But that's not what we come here for... I find it hilarious that someone must have been thinking: "Hey, in Double Dragon the bad guys kidnap ONE girl. But we're gonna have our bad guys kidnap FIFTEEN GIRLS!" Oh, and they're all locked in a cage/cell in the background of the final boss fight.

Check out that intro screenshot below... FAT TOAD?!?!? Bwahahahahaha!
And check out that Miami Vice-tastic ending visual. And then, check out the words they put on top of it. Sadly, the text disappears too fast and my screenshot cut off the very beginning, which says "Sorry for keeping you waiting..." But that's all you get because my only interrupt save is on the post-ending boss rush level, and I don't quite hate myself enough to go through Crime Fighters again quite yet just to get that screenshot (but shit, I really should because I forgot to get a snap of the boss fight and the girls in the cage). Anyway, you know where to find it if you want it bad enough.

2) Vendetta... better game, still a brutally unfair quarter stealer but its much better on a technical level. And having your four character choices be blatant rip offs of Hulk Hogan, Mr. T, Jean Claude Van Damme, and... Mike Tyson (?) is fun. For some reason they scaled back the number of kidnapped girls to a boring old ONE, maybe they thought the reason the first game turned out so bad was because you actually just can't stuff that many kidnapped girls into one game? Doesn't quite have the epic quotes of its predecessor, but this one is already a go to phrase in my daily life, THANKS NICE BOYS.

3) Wait a minute... Michiru Yamane (Symphony of the Night) was a sound co-designer for this one, in one of her early credited roles for Konami??? This was no harbinger of SotN excellence to come, but... neat?

4) I hope Hamster gets to Konami's early 90s Mystic Warriors hardware some time, some interesting stuff on there that was sadly never ported to consoles: Mystic Warriors, Violent Storm, Metamorphic Force, Gaiopolis, Monster Maulers, Martial Champion (that one did get a PCE CD port).
BIL

Post by BIL »

Crime Fighters is something of a damage case, Konami's characteristically shredding late 80s OST aside. First thing to know is that anything but the three-button rev is trash. That dedicated [back kick] button makes a world of difference, providing both a reliable poke, and massively expanding your combos. Stock PPP is weak, KKK is shocking. PP.BK.BK.BK. is a reliable demolisher, and raw BK can take down heavies entirely on its own with good off-axis positioning.

I can't help liking it, a lot, just on the sheer meanness of those Muay-styled combos. Look at them career-ending kidney shots to poor Junkyard Dog!

Yeah you're gonna be hawking vitamins and BBQ grills from now on JD. 3;
Spoiler

The gritty world design is A1 too, far nastier and grimier than its sequel where our hardass ex-cop discovers mom jeans. Unfortunately, the stage design is brutally unhelpful - wave partitioning is even more vital than in other beltscrollers, they'll let you put a goddamn army onscreen if you're not careful - and even if you can wrest the game under control, it goes and pulls a Gradius III with that stupid Boss Revenge stage. I'd like to go for a 2ALL Nomiss someday, but the Boss Revenge is such a farcical spike, it demands an entire university course... see also GIII cube rush.

CF2 can't be compared, imo, either in difficulty - it's downright uncommonly generous by AC brawler standards, with the massive vertical range on your attacks (in direct contrast, CF1's vert range is infamously, at times irritatingly tiny), plus the virtually bulletproof A+B knockdowns, which open up the dominating stomps, and this isn't even counting the weapons, which would be outright overpowered if they didn't break - or technical quality - it's chalk and cheese compared to CF1's stiff, unforgiving, sometimes inexplicable collison.

That said, you will still get eaten alive if you're not conversant with off-axis attacking. Fighting head-on will get you splattered pretty fast. Use that vertical range to stay out of the line of fire, and you might be surprised at how quickly the first loop falls in line. It's also critical you make full abuse of that stomp game... you're expected to actively pounce on and demolish grounded enemies, who'll (in another pleasant surprise) recover not refreshed, as is the beater norm, but doubled over in agony and ready for even more punishment. Very gritty, I dig. The ground is a harsh mistress, kids! :cool: You can even hit multiple grounded targets with one ground flurry, and if you get knocked down, the recovery kick can stagger or outright kill nearby enemies.

So You Thought You Were Safe, And Now Your Face Is On Fire
Spoiler

(yo, is that the dancing girl from Paro Da... and Pastel from Twinbee?! :shock: Oh hell no, did she really end up on the game?! Headcanon headcanon headcanon... yeah nah she's working undercover to bust the Donburi Human Trafficking Co, that makes sense Image)

The second loop, I really wish was just the one and only. It bulks up the crowds perfectly, and the (again, surprisingly fair) bosses don't change at all. The deadliest by far is actually the little Igor dude who rides on his Frankenstein Monster big bro's shoulders, possessing the game's one and only 8way attack. Even the Boss Revenge stage is redeemed.

A single dumb gimmick aside - the big boss's CF1-recalling last resort - you can attack CF2 bosses with an aggression - and more importantly, intuition - undreamed of in say, Final Fight, where most bosses have some highly idiosyncratic quirk that'll annhilate the non-conversant. I wouldn't call it unfair, let alone brutally, just unforgiving - even zako grunts can decimate your lifebar in a couple stray jabs. That's more of a plus than a minus imo. :mrgreen:

A serously admirable final showdown, in my estimation. No obscure tricks needed, just weather the brutal pressure with brawler fundamentals. Stay off the enemy's line, even when attacking. Don't get pincered. Place your shots carefully. Even more or less under control (that was a second loop practice run), look how that random knifer damn near annhilates me for a split-second's hesitation.

I would call it a near-perfect hybrid of Kunio's low-fi viciousness and Final Fight's cleaned-up interface. CF1's a charity case, even before considering the kiss of death that is the Boss Revenge. Still glad to have it around though, in 3-button rev, that is!
hamfighterx wrote:this one is already a go to phrase in my daily life, THANKS NICE BOYS
I love it when an arcade game calls me nice :lol: See also Magician Lord, I swear it catches me off-guard every time.

~THE THEME OF NICE BOYS~

NICE BOYS! (NICE BOYS!)
Never lose it!
NICE BOYS! (NICE BOYS!)
Never chose this way!
NICE BOYS! (NICE BOYS!)
Never close your eyes...
Nice Boys Always Shine!!! Image
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Megablast is this week's upcoming title.
https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1668891084049760256
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BIL

Post by BIL »

Not bad! It's an alright b-tier Taito hori, MegaBlast. Best feature is a mercurially oustanding OST. Some tracks don't do much, but others are stompin feelgood (st4, so indomitable!), elegiac feelnotsogood (st2, always makes me think of the iconic Hokuto no Ken TV anime OST :o), and a bit of both (st5, sounds damn near something The Cure might've charted with).

I remember me and Cecil McW00t wondering for a while if it was YACK's, but it turned out to be Hidetoshi Fukumori, who would really knock it out of the park with the devastating, lilting Morriconesques of Gun Frontier (funnily enough, that one sometimes gets misattributed to YACK, with him credited for sound design, and of course composing Project Gun Frontier 2).
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

BIL...you posted this game so many time that at the end...i've played it in coop.
Vendetta is...wow...was absurd..stage after stage was a crescendo of degeneracy in the underground.
I can't remember any other Beat'Em Up without rules like this, where you can punch and kick harmless enemies on the ground or enemies blocked under your partner's grab (vile but understandable), or gives kicks in the balls!
You can even kick ferocious dogs till death! (another thing that i've only seen here! Very sadistic..and i like it).
But the shocking part is at the pier stage, where you encounter the first HOBO WITH A SHOOTGUN!

What a bloody marvelous spectacle!!!
It make look others Beat'Em Up a child-fight.
Vendetta ignites my sadistic side! :twisted:
BIL wrote: So You Thought You Were Safe, And Now Your Face Is On Fire
Spoiler
(i prefer the way how Blood punch his enemies when they are harmless on the ground, better if the other player use Boomer, for added violence).

PS: I don't know why 4 totally strangers knows the same girl but it gives an even more trash mood to the game ahahah (and also a lot of coherence)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Total mayhem :twisted: Shotguns, molotovs, Ball Shots... but at the same time, super-finessed, as well. You gotta fight dirty to survive, but you need the fundamentals, too!

Learn to fight, then learn 2 cheese ;3
Spoiler
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

It's the apex of technos-style brawlers. A unique example of how finely-crafted and well-balanced an arcade beat em up can be without borrowing any of Final Fight's DNA. There is no superjoy, no jump button, no walk-to-grapple and even the health/damage system is different.
Spoiler
I don't know if Vendetta has infinites or not. I'd question the utility of such a move in a game like this, where a single mook can erase your entire life bar if you fuck up your combo. Combos in general are so weak that the idea of attempting an infinite combo just sounds wrong to me. Yes, I want to lock myself in place in a game where every enemy is extremely deadly. I think the only time I've ever seen 1cc attempts try to infinite is with Little Rude (in the corner) and Big Rude (because he's a chump.) I don't count spamming A+B attacks as a combo because it's one move and you're spacing it out. It's not true lockdown.
Vendetta reminds me a lot of Cybattler. Games in a popular genre that play totally differently from what's expected/typical, yet are still of incredibly high quality.
velo

Post by velo »

I was messing with Vendetta a while ago and was duly impressed that you can AA-punch Missing Link out of his stompy move. Any boss attack in a Capcom game that looks like that has full invincibility and instant startup. Hamster manual doesn't bother with a movelist. I'm still not positive I know how to do a throw in this game, not on purpose.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

velo wrote:I was messing with Vendetta a while ago and was duly impressed that you can AA-punch Missing Link out of his stompy move. Any boss attack in a Capcom game that looks like that has full invincibility and instant startup. Hamster manual doesn't bother with a movelist. I'm still not positive I know how to do a throw in this game, not on purpose.
Yeah, the bosses in Vendetta have (generally) very little bullshit.

As for how to throw, you do it the same way you do in many Technos brawlers. Stand right up next to the opponent and hit the punch button. I'm not sure exactly where you have to stand but that's the theory for how you do it anyway. Strike throws (punching the dude while holding him, rather than throwing him away) in Vendetta deal some of the most damage of any move you can do.

Technos-style throws are fiddly in every game, I swear. RCR might have handled them the best, by tying them to a downed enemy state. Although I'm aware the purchasable moves (at least in the Advance version) include throws and that cocks up the balance again.
velo

Post by velo »

Sima Tuna wrote:
velo wrote:I was messing with Vendetta a while ago and was duly impressed that you can AA-punch Missing Link out of his stompy move. Any boss attack in a Capcom game that looks like that has full invincibility and instant startup. Hamster manual doesn't bother with a movelist. I'm still not positive I know how to do a throw in this game, not on purpose.
Yeah, the bosses in Vendetta have (generally) very little bullshit.

As for how to throw, you do it the same way you do in many Technos brawlers. Stand right up next to the opponent and hit the punch button. I'm not sure exactly where you have to stand but that's the theory for how you do it anyway. Strike throws (punching the dude while holding him, rather than throwing him away) in Vendetta deal some of the most damage of any move you can do.

Technos-style throws are fiddly in every game, I swear. RCR might have handled them the best, by tying them to a downed enemy state. Although I'm aware the purchasable moves (at least in the Advance version) include throws and that cocks up the balance again.
In Double Dragon and iirc Renegade you have to walk in when the enemy is in a stunned state. The CF2 guys can do throws without an intermediary grab, don't even have to combo into it like a Capcom guy. It's a cool mechanic but I get point blank kicks when I really wanted a knee-to-the-head so I haven't got a handle on all the finer points.