I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
CRP

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by CRP »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote:Looks like February 24th is gonna be a Taito release.
The only other confirmed information is that it's a game that's on the Egret II Mini
https://twitter.com/ohfivepro

Gutfeeling says it rastan but i hope for rainbow islands
BIL

Post by BIL »

Either of those would be fuckin killer, though I won't be surprised if it's Growl. :lol: Which I'd happily pick up too. :cool:
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Has there been synergy between the Egret marketing Twitter and ACA? This popped up the other day; could be a hint:

https://twitter.com/TaitoASelection/sta ... 8iv9QkI_IA
velo

Post by velo »

Most of the older Egret II games are already on AA, here's a list:

https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/co ... er-edition
cfx wrote:It's obvious to me that my tastes are out of whack with most here (dislike of danmaku and Cave specifically) but Phelios is one of the games I've most wanted to come to ACA, and is one of the shooters on Genesis I liked most back in the day.
It's one I've been waiting for as well. They've been clearing a lot of my wishlist the past 6 months or so. Fingers crossed for Burning Force or Night Striker, while we're on a Namco/Taito streak.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

My guess it'll be Don Doko Don, it's the last non Bubble Bobble sequel cutesy platformer not to have seen an AC release yet. It did end up on US and Japanese PS2 Taito compilations after all.
jehu

Post by jehu »

I'll put my money down for the very unlikely Syvalion.

Though my most fervent wish is a release of Night Striker. Sounds like an impossibility for this release, but I'm thinking it's not at all an unlikely candidate for later this year. Let's hope they beat City Connection to the punch.
BIL

Post by BIL »

jehu wrote:Let's hope they beat City Connection to the punch.
I wouldn't worry about CC. Image Heard they went across the street. :lol:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

City Connect got put on the back of a truck .. one way trip. :shock:
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I credit-fed through New Zealand Story last night. I need to read up on where the warps are, some of the later stages are pretty taxing and flood you with spikes and enemies (a long-distant ancestor of modern indie platformers??).

The final stage is pure bullshit though, made just to be annoying! It's a long, long long platforming gauntlet full of tiny blocks, all of them are ICE(!!!!), you have to weave back and forth multiple times, your momentum carries from jumps, spikes everywhere, and if you die once you are sent back (unlike the rest of the game) to the very start of the stage. All the while the game "cheerfully" plasters signs saying "SLIP!" everywhere with smiley faces, practically mocking you for struggling.

I will freely admit I made heavy use of the savestate feature this go-around because at around 1:30am last night I couldn't be arsed after my first ten or so credits retrying the gauntlet. My only consolation is that I grabbed a UFO after that and made laughably short work of that fat seal son of a BITCH who hid himself in his little Antarctic kiwi-trafficking base.

So, despite disappointing the Mike Matei's out there, I finally beat this game for the first time. Still a well-loved game but man was that a cruel and perhaps-needlessly assholish final stage!
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Ooo, I need some help from y'all. On ACA Assault (Switch), I think I may have hit a bug in the digital controls.

Over in this thread I am lamenting the Saturn Twin Stick not operating as expected in Assault. So I put in a Pro Controller and played a few rounds.

With the twin analog sticks, the game plays like butter. But when I switch over to the digital controls--which I have my Twin Stick mapped to--things aren't so rosy. By "digital controls" I mean D-Pad for left stick and the ABXY for right stick. Once I was replicating it on the Pro Controller, I figured something might be up. Or maybe I'm playing it wrong?

The biggest offender is when you hit the jump pad. Once airborne, it's easy for me to rotate my cannon when I'm using the analog sticks. However, with digital controls I am not able to consistently rotate. I've tried things like left stick down (D-Pad down), right stick up to (Switch X button) spin to the right but nothin'.

Anybody able to replicate this issue, or have guidance?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hm. It's a long shot, but do you have access to a PS1 Twin Stick? That was the one that's typically recommended for the Namco Museum Vol.4 port of Assault. Of course there's no guarantee it'd perform better, but I thought it was worth mentioning a potential alternative.

Sorry I can't offer specific advice - I'm currently on the PS4 version with just a stock DS4. I use Type A (twinstick controls), via the analogue sticks. AFAIK, the rotate command is identical whether on the ground or in the air (Left Stick forward, Right Stick backward, or the inverse, for clockwise/counter-clockwise, respectively). Odd that air rotation is causing issues, maybe there's some subtle difference I'm unaware of.

(very interesting thread, bookmarked!)
Last edited by BIL on Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Oh I think you CAN replicate it with the stock DS4! Try driving around using D-Pad and Triangle/Square/Circle/Cross. Get to the first jump pad, go airborne, and tell me if you can use those buttons to rotate while in air.

I can rotate very easily in mid-air with the analog sticks, but not with the buttons.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I see :o Will give it a go right now. :smile:

EDIT: I reset the Type A controls to defaults and gave it a go - air rotation seems fine via dpad+facebuttons, analogue sticks, and hybrid inputs alike.

Recorded a quick video. The first jump is using [UP+X], the second is sticks, and the final is dpad + Right Analogue.

Also holy fuck, it broke my brain deviating from the twinsticks - I better get back to my 1LC attempt before I have to relearn the whole damn thing. :shock: I found Type B supremely comfy, but it took away a little too much of the game's unique identity for my liking... I've no illusions that the DS4's sticks are a 1:1: replacement for the arcade tank controls, but it's an abstract kind of feel :3

The ACA PS4 version updated very shortly post-release, to v1.01 - the notes say it was just the manual, though. Not sure if the situation differs on Switch.

---

Since it came up a few pages back, was just coming to post ITT after an evening with ASO II / Alpha Mission II, helped greatly by MJR's superb quickstart notes. This game's first stage is profoundly more satisfying after taking a few minutes to learn what all those letters and numbers and words are for, and why they're spawning when they do. :lol: I need to do the same with the original ASO... as a diehard fan of certain mid-80s SNK icons (Ikari & co), but one who's left freezing-cold by a certain other (Athena, good lord I genuinely dislike that game), it seemed very much on the right side of the line. Love the soulfully intense music and gunmetal spacewar look.

While ASO II's controls feel quite snappy on PS4, comparable to my Fast Ship benchmark ShotTriggers Dangun, I did find one unfortunate issue - the Save State feature consistently fails to work. Hm. Have emailed Hamster inquiring as to a possible patch - I've seen older ACA releases receive them... this is one of the earliest ACA-NG titles, and seemingly was never updated. I've put ungodly hours on NAM-1975, of the same vintage and also un-updated, and that one's Save works great.

Regarding ASO II, it's a weird hybrid of Compile (lightning-quick vertizontal macro-dodging, artfully hectic powerup chasing) and Xevious's precision ground bombing... I've always been fond of what I saw, along with the XTRA-chunky n' colourful spacemetal aesthetic. Kinda Verytex-esque. The OST has some real oldschool 80s OVA fire, too, like the arresting gamushara of the st1 boss, and the stoically driving st2 battleship interior. Speaking of, love those bridge demolitions, the explosions omnomnomming any unfortunate tanks in their way. :mrgreen:

I notice the International version (Alpha Mission 2) defaults to Level 3/15 (weird on both ends), versus ASO II's 4/15. I could swear Alpha becomes slightly tougher than ASO, when bumped to four - the first stage's final turret batteries feel likelier to nip me, if I'm slow/greedy - while it's definitely easier at 3, with the first boss using less homing bullets, and dying quicker. Recorded a couple quick demos to illustrate:

ASO II @ default/Level 4

Alpha Mission II @ default/Level 3

Not sure if that helps, MJR, but I thought it worth mentioning, with what you noted re: bullet patterns and such. Anyway, I hope Hamster throws us a bone WRT saves (assuming I've not screwed something up myself) - I'd definitely like to settle down with this one finally. I was going pretty hard on early Neo releases, a couple years back, had a blast with Magician Lord, NAM, and Cyber-Lip... made it to Crossed Swords and had to tap out. This is a good time to resume unfinished business. :cool:

EDIT + WORKAROUND: So it turns out, for the Save State to work in ACA ASO II (PS4), you can't have extra credits inserted when you hit [start] to begin the game. Just put in a single credit, and start the game - the save will work as per ACA usual (remains in place until a Game Over, or you use the "Game Reset" command - use "Back To Title Screen" to preserve the save). Interestingly, this fix works even if you insert further credits during play. I'll have to email Hamster again to let them know. :lol:

Weird, never seen that before. Just tried out ACA-NG MS1 and NAM, both even older than ASO II; neither has this behaviour (though MS1 has had a few updates over the years). I wonder if it's something specific to ASO II's code. Still, might be handy data, on the off-chance it occurs in other ACA/ACA-NG releases. Delighted to have found a fix pending response/update. :cool:

EDIT2: Man I'm liking this game more and more... I notice it Ranks up while Armours are in use, and also, you get a generous burst of i-frames while they're equipping/unequipping, ala Slap Fight. Might be a handy escape / quasi-panic bomb.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Glad you found the hidden depths of Alpha Mission II, BIL. That game is indeed a hidden gem in Neo Geo shmup library. Figuring out all the secret tricks and bonuses is a pleasure indeed :)

I would be tempted to test the PS4 version and compare. It's a pity that my Hori pro is for Switch / PC only; my brain is not really wired to use any other than joystick on old arcades (with the exception of Gradius III on snes, where I was able to dance around the homing enemies on fastest speed possible in a way that it made everyone to witness it not believe their eyes.. but now I'm sidetracking). The switch version is indeed in dire need of update, and my MVS cartridge either needs cleaning or outright repair. Somehow the original cartridge has shot up to over 240£, when I bought it, it was 30£. And I, the fool, sold my Bomber man Neo Geo MVS cartridge with original stickers for 60£ back in 2009 when I was in need of money... :shock: :|

EDIT: I found out that it was not my Alpha Mission II cartridge that was damaged, but my Neo Geo MVS motherboard. OH NO
parodius

Post by parodius »

MJR wrote:I found out that it was not my Alpha Mission II cartridge that was damaged, but my Neo Geo MVS motherboard. OH NO
Cheaper to replace then.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
MJR

Post by MJR »

parodius wrote:
MJR wrote:I found out that it was not my Alpha Mission II cartridge that was damaged, but my Neo Geo MVS motherboard. OH NO
Cheaper to replace then.
133€ on ebay, not so bad.
Luckily I know a guy in my hometown who can repair the existing one and I can pay him in installments with no interest fees, since I am kinda broke right now..

But yeah, I am happy that my cartridges are intact.
stademock

Post by stademock »

I keep hearing concerning things about the Switch's arcade conversions/emulations. Kiken mentioned its ACA Metal Slug running overclocked, apparently to offset input lag. The only difference I notice between one-lifing my MVS cartridge and PS4 ACA is the latter's slightly lessened flicker at busy spots (like blowing up st1's houses). It still slows down like it should, even the extreme slowdown at a handful of points (st5 boss, st6-2 paratroopers).
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I wasn't aware of this part of TNZS history .. https://twitter.com/TaitoCorp/status/16 ... 3735068675

Would definitely explain all the 8x8 sized spikes. lol
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, I'd thought the same - for such an aesthetically-perfect title, the pixel dimensions and black line thickness on stuff (best I can put it in layman's terms) looked kinda odd. And yet, it all comes together so perfectly! The iconic big ol' bunch of kiwis in the startup cinematic comes to mind... if you step back and look at it, the lines are pretty gnarly, but as a whole it's perfectly-readable and just adorable.

Reading that tweet, combined with the Alien Soldier/Shin Contra-prefiguring paean at the attract title, really makes it feel like a passion project. You gotta love it when the staff swear their allegiances to Good Gaming right out the gate Image Image Image
stademock wrote:I keep hearing concerning things about the Switch's arcade conversions/emulations. Kiken mentioned its ACA Metal Slug running overclocked, apparently to offset input lag. The only difference I notice between one-lifing my MVS cartridge and PS4 ACA is the latter's slightly lessened flicker at busy spots (like blowing up st1's houses). It still slows down like it should, even the extreme slowdown at a handful of points (st5 boss, st6-2 paratroopers).
Ha, I remember writing that back on page 1. Good times! Guess the booze didn't kill all my braincells just yet. Still on a five-year sabbatical though. Image Are you my own clone? ASL pls :shock:
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I've gotten to the last level of The New Zealand Story several times on 1cc pace last night, but have died there each time. The final level really is such an annoying difficulty spike; I hope I can clear tonight or tomorrow. God help you if you mess up the predetermined item order and accidental end up with a shitty weapon (like the bomb or staff) for the leopard seal fight. Ideally you want to grab one of the many UFOs swirling around the final large chamber before the boss but there are so many enemies spawning at once there that it's very dangerous to leave your balloon.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That's more like it! Last night on my long train ride home I managed to snag the 1cc in New Zealand Story. This was preceded by yet another run absolutely cucked in the final stage! Man, what a pain.

By the time I got home I decided I would boot up mame and record a 1cc using the same route (afaik the shortest route through the game, which takes only about a dozen minutes, once you subtract my deaths). It still took three tries, but I ended up with the Kiwi Speed Slaughter Hour! I'm glad I finally got a 1cc in the game, what with being a fan of it for a while.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm so glad this game's around in fine form. :mrgreen: What a gem. You did the spirit of TOTAL LAND SEA & AIR BEAST WAR proud with that video and description, soldier Image

Word on the street suggests Adventure Canoe (1982) is the next Taito pick. :lol:
jehu

Post by jehu »

Phelios dropped! Love these STGs that double as tech hardware showcases. Beautiful game - fun so far, though I can't say I've internalized the mechanics.

Below is an old post by someone some of you may know who 1CC'd the game last year. Found his run and thoughts entertaining then, definitely worth looking at again now. Hope I'm not stealing his thunder, it's good shit:
Spoiler
EmperorIng wrote:It didn't take too long but I got a 1cc of Namco's Phelios!
I have always liked this game back on the Genesis, but the arcade game is much better and much prettier. This is important because outside of its suped-up graphics and music, it's pretty standard and simple for a shooter. Watch my 1cc here!

Proud of my silly custom thumbnail. The 'walkthrough' is something of a running joke. :twisted:

Once I set up savestates for every level section and for bosses, it was pretty straightforward to learn. The biggest chokepoints were the stage 4 boss, Antaeus (the fire giant) and the final boss Typhon. Why? Because at full power, the rank makes these fights basically unwinnable, meaning you need to -or will just flat-out- die during the boss battle to lower the boss rank in order to win. Boss health and aggression drops noticeably on death. Basically this means save two lives just for the 1cc tax!

I love how dynamic and different the stages are. Some think they're slow, but they are less like shmup stages and remind me more of an action game with all of their setpieces and new ideas/encounters. Though I think my favorites may be the fire level and the river styx, because of the non-stop aggression of enemies from all over the screen harrying you during the entire stage. I love this Namco era's bombastic orchestral soundtracks (like in Legend of Valkyrie).
Edit: I should mention there's two cool custom firing modes included - 'small charge' and 'large charge.' The latter shoots out fully charged shots in perfect cadence, the former shoots smaller charges - again in perfect cadence. In all replays I've seen, it's 30hz on one button, and the manual shot on another. Wonder if these shot modes will actually prove to be useful in actual high-level play.

There's also a built-in 'Easy' and 'Hard' mode - 'Hard' the only way to see the whole suite of stages. Always like the arcade games that toy with difficulty like this.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ahh, beautiful. Image Very similar to Pistol Daimyou's autofire setup, which was truly transformative there.

I'd forgotten how much this feels like a Dragon Spirit sequel - with the stricter Xevious bombing swapped out for line-demolishing charge shots. Goddamn, feels great letting it rip - eat divine judgment, you lousy BONEY-KUNS! Give my regards to Mr. Harryhausen, BUBO THE OWL! (love the manual's warning not to crash into Bubo before he transforms, ie, eats a disabusing blast of holy fire, the daft swivel-headed little bugger!)

And of course, Spirit's actual sequel Saber inherited the walloping blast, while adding 2P play. Really interesting from genre evolution standpoint, seeing IREM's charge shot and Konami's serpentine Options here in one title... can't quite recall if that'd happened earlier. Lining up vertically and horizontally-arrayed charge shots for columns and lines respectively feels damn good! One well-placed swipe and only smoking craters remain!

Indeed, ala Metal Hawk, it's both a special effects showcase, and genuinely aesthetic... wonderful pixel wizardry, burning action/fantasy passion! And cheesecake!

Time for war! Holy shit! I got to save the hot girl with the big tits!
Spoiler

All these years with the MD port, I never twigged those were HAWKMANS in the opening sortie. Thought they were the DS's endemic giant musasabis - this is an altogether different manner of beaver hunt!

EDIT: Yep yep. Image As I'd hoped, ala Pistol Daimyou, the custom light/heavy Charge Shot butons work great. Almost turns this into a three-button game, having the whole rapid/mid/heavy palette on-tap, plus manual for delayed charge shots.

It's apparent right from st2-1's IREMesque Circular Assembly, the charge shot is no mere detail - methodically punching through each cannon with heavy blasts is a handy win, while peppering them with rapid fire will see you in hot water, if not outright besieged. ala Gun Frontier and so many other ACA titles, I bet they had arcade veteran guidance here.

EDIT2: bugger me this is first-rate :o I remember now why I like the MD cart so much, that snappily-responsive and fiercely destructive Salamander-esque, but the AC's upped aggression and undeniable panache really put it over the line. st2-2 is unmistakably ImageFight-like, with the integral use of terrain cover VS deadly spreadfire, and those wonderful mortars recalling IREM's gravity-confounding, rocket-spewing little mechs... or maybe Salamander's the one to credit for that endearing mixup of topdown perspective with side-viewed gravity? Vaguely recalling something firing a rocket that "falls down" the screen.

At any rate, both games really illuminate the direction Saber went in, as that game progresses into outright Wallmaku on par with anything IREM did. Further on, that st3 chase sequence with the black knight phalanx, a footnote on MD is legitimately intense here. Some grand Top Gunning times, luring chumps into a fiery collision with the walls. Image

I'm happy I didn't nope out on this console gen. :o Unfinished business and overdue home releases popping up left and right. Ray'z next month, ADVENTURE CANOE this month (or Rastan or Rainbow Islands maybe :mrgreen:), it's a good time.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

The first time I'd heard of Phelios was this capsule preview for the MD port in EGM issue 10, May 1990.

EGM review
https://i.imgur.com/NnFi0wv.jpg
VG&CE review
https://i.imgur.com/vpSxHW6.jpg
GamePro review
https://i.imgur.com/mhuLiWg.jpg
Last edited by OldSkoolShmuper on Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Interesting, looks like INTV was planning a US release of Curse and it fell through. Probably because they went bankrupt around this time. They planned to go into publishing for other systems after releasing Intellivision games, but only released one NES game.
Last edited by BrianC on Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Skyknight wrote:After seeing a screenshot…when do you suppose we can expect Grobda? >>;;;;
Grobda 2/16 :cool:

BECOME THE SNIPER TANK Image Image
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Ghostbusters was dope

Just sayin'
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:
Skyknight wrote:After seeing a screenshot…when do you suppose we can expect Grobda? >>;;;;
Grobda 2/16 :cool:

BECOME THE SNIPER TANK Image Image
Globder! ;)
BIL

Post by BIL »

D'aww :3