I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sturmvogel Prime

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Looks like the doors are now open to license based arcade titles thanks to Tetris, 'cos Banpresto's Mazinger-Z will be on Arcade Archives.
https://www.famitsu.com/news/202212/03284962.html
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BIL

Post by BIL »

Very, very promising. It's not quite everyone's dream of NMK's Macross 2, but it's a vital step in that direction! I wonder if Banpresto's Sailor Moon beltscrollers might also be on the table.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BIL wrote: TGM is out now on JPSN - controls seem tight, and performance rock-solid, but will wait to hear from Sumez and other knowledgeable friends! I don't know WTF I'm doing here, plus ca change since the ol' GB ver. :cool:
I've had the PCB for years, and playing this on Switch feels to me completely like playing on PCB for what it's worth.
There's some minor glitches and weird scaling going on (not sure if it can be configured away), and the game has frozen for me a couple of times, so it's not all dandy. But it's absolutely a port worth your dough, I can't believe this game is finally available on a home console after 25 years - and at a bargain price, too!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Excellent to hear, thanks for the confirmation! Seems the Switch version needs a bit of ironing out, but tbh I expected they'd need a mulligan or two emulating ZN1 there, just like M2 and F3. Good to see they got right on it, as expected of Hamster. FWIW I put a shameful number of hours on the PS4 version earlier in the week and didn't notice anything amiss, but for all I know that's because I can barely crack Rank 2 at present. :lol:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I can't imagine there's any notable differences between the Switch and PS4 versions, though some issues I've experienced could be related to how they handle the Switch's standby feature maybe? In terms of performance the game runs smooth as fuck :)

I'm fairly convinced it's exactly the same source code ported to two different platforms via generic containers.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Last few Hamster games I bought on both platforms seemed comparable. I did just as well on Switch in Ordyne as I did on PS4/5. I have mostly been playing with the joycons using the skull & co stick on dpad, which works incredibly well.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

BIL wrote:Very, very promising. It's not quite everyone's dream of NMK's Macross 2, but it's a vital step in that direction! I wonder if Banpresto's Sailor Moon beltscrollers might also be on the table.
Or, for that matter, a small swarm of Konami's beat-'em-ups.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

In the wake of Arcade Archives Metal Black's release, Taito puts to sleep a Metal Black mystery.
https://twitter.com/TaitoCorp/status/15 ... 13/photo/1
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:I can't imagine there's any notable differences between the Switch and PS4 versions, though some issues I've experienced could be related to how they handle the Switch's standby feature maybe?
Yeah, strictly referring to the display and leaderboard glitches reported on launch day; everything I've seen (official or otherwise) specifies the Switch version. Haven't seen or heard anything on PS4, so I assume it's something platform-specific. GSK theorised it might related to where the game's installed in memory, IIRC. Hamster got right on it, at any rate.

That ACA Mr. Driller G is sounding good about now. Image My dream would be Strider 2... on one hand, sounds far-fetched (particularly with ACA TGM lacking the Capcom and QSound brandings). On the other, these are interesting times, and there was that bizarre AVP licensing, albeit on dubious hardware.

I wonder what they've got planned for Christmas, their last couple years were killer (Gradius III and XEXEX, respectively). Pac-Mania's out in the meantime, I don't think I've ever actually played this despite it being one of the earliest iterations of the series I can remember. I think it was the Genesis version I saw BITD.
Udderdude wrote:I wonder if they're going to fix the brightness/contrast issue that's plagued the MAME version since forever. It's way too low. Not impossible to fix (just adjust it yourself) but yeah. Kinda looks crummy in MAME w/o adjusting the brightness/contrast.
Includes a "Display brightness: Normal/High" toggle in the game settings, I guess Hamster caught onto that too. :smile:
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Mr. Driller would be awesome. I'm not really a puzzle gamer, but Mr. Driller is one of only a couple puzzle games I can get lost in for extended periods.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'm still a bit puzzled by the releases of Namco games already available in a perfectly decent comp.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Marc wrote:I'm still a bit puzzled by the releases of Namco games already available in a perfectly decent comp.
Well, unlike us weirdos, most people don’t have consoles from several generations back readily available to play on. Even then, it’s not like you can just walk into Best Buy and find these old discs even if you wanted them. This is about opening up the opportunity to play these classics to a broader audience, and about preservation by making them available across multiple services.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I think he meant things like Rolling Thunder being in the Namco Museum compilation available on Switch.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Marvel Land next.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh nice. Enjoyed the MD port for ages, never tried the AC original.
SavagePencil wrote:I think he meant things like Rolling Thunder being in the Namco Museum compilation available on Switch.
I don't got a Switch 3; 3; 3; (I should by now for M2's Gain Ground and Virtua Racing and Shinobi, but it's so easy to chill out with what I already gots naw mean Image)

I think Hamster have earned a bit of Namco EZ action after a near-decade's consistent excellence. If these staples finance even a few "holy shit WTF" picks a year (cf Metal Black, Gun Frontier and TGM in the last few months, TD2, Gunnail and XEXEX a bit before), it's all good. They're handy to have around, too. Digging out NMv2 and rigging up the PS1 to wrestle with Dragon Buster's mindfuck jump input for ten minutes before going "maybe next year CLOVIS-kun!" is a pain, now I can do it in seconds ;3
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I recall seeing Pac-Mania at my local arcade joint except that it was the upright arcade cab that was sold/distributed by Atari Games themselves back in 1987 for the North American arcade market with the newfangled 3-Dish isometric viewpoint + highly-touted "Jump" button feature, (a first for a Pac-Man game, indeed, to avoid the dreaded ghosts).

Gone was the tell-tale and extremely responsive Wico manufactured leaf-swtich based arcade stick arrangement/setup that was prevalent with the Bally Midway manufactured Pac-Man games and in it's place the usual Atari branded clunky 4-way digital arcade joystick to control your Pac-Man character that wasn't as responsive in terms of overall gameplay/reaction time (necessary if you wanted to achieve higher scores right off the bat). I think if Atari had gone with a true "leaf-switch" based arcade stick for use with Pac-Mania, it would've fared better control-wise in retrospect. As it was for 1987, that was the type of Atari arcade controls in dealing with the USA version of Pac-Mania at that particular point in time.

There was a business agreement/arrangement between Atari and Namco back in those days, hence the exclusive rights of Atari Games to sell/distribute Pac-Mania/Assault arcade cabs (rather than Bally Midway MFG Co. with the old Pac-Man arcade IPs -- i.e.: Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, Baby Pac-Man, Professor Pac-Man, Pac-Man Plus, Pac-Man Jr., etc.). Heck, even Namco sold/distributed Atari Games' Klax arcade pcb conversion kits in Japan back in 1990 and beyond under their own brand namesake.

----------
Pac-Man Factoid Time: The arcade cab oddity of Professor Pac-Man got an extremely limited distribution stateside due to it's unpopularity with the general public but it was playable at the famous Starcade arcade joint in Disneyland's Tomorrowland back in 1984.
----------

Cool to see the original arcade iteration of Pac-Mania finally appear in all of it's glory on the PS4 & Switch platforms. It's time to revisit it properly.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I remember seeing Pac-Mania in a bowling alley decades ago .. don't think I actually played it, though. No quarters lol.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

BIL wrote:I don't got a Switch 3; 3; 3; (I should by now for M2's Gain Ground and Virtua Racing and Shinobi, but it's so easy to chill out with what I already gots naw mean Image)
Interesting omission of Thunder Force AC & IV from those Sega Ages games, gonna assume you have those in another format as opposed to... not liking Thunder Force??? ;)

Also interesting (to me at least), here's the breakdown of the number of AA releases in 2022 by original developer:

Namco - 29
Taito - 10
Nichibutsu - 2
NMK - 2
Video System - 2
Arika - 1
Data East - 1
Seibu Kaihatsu - 1
Tecmo - 1

Notes:
- This is going off Switch WW release list, so may differ slightly on other platforms/regions (for example, Darius released for PS4 in Japan/Asia in 2016, but the NA PS4 version did launch alongside the WW Switch release on October 6, 2022)
- 49 games listed, through Marvel Land on December 15
- Assuming the usual weekly release schedule, we should get two more games on December 22 and 29 (titles currently unknown)
- Hamster missed one week this year, with nothing released the week including June 23.
- For Switch in the US (but not all regions), there were also two weeks with a game delayed one week and released as one of two AA games the following week, likely due to a Nintendo eShop submission/approval issue: Empire City: 1931 missed its original 3/24 date, and Itazura Tenshi missed its scheduled 11/9 release
Last edited by hamfighterx on Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Oh, in other AA news that probably interested me more than any other person in the world:

Just discovered last night that at some point, Hamster updated three NA region Switch games that originally were mistakenly titled "Archade Archives: [game title]"... making them not play nice with the Switch's alphabetical sort order. Now corrected to properly say "Arcade". Games were 64th Street, Ben Bero Beh, and... I think the 3rd one was Empire City 1931. That had really bugged me, glad they corrected it and I wish I had noticed the patch sooner lol.
BIL

Post by BIL »

hamfighterx wrote:
BIL wrote:I don't got a Switch 3; 3; 3; (I should by now for M2's Gain Ground and Virtua Racing and Shinobi, but it's so easy to chill out with what I already gots naw mean Image)
Interesting omission of Thunder Force AC & IV from those Sega Ages games, gonna assume you have those in another format as opposed to... not liking Thunder Force??? ;)
Happy enough with my MD and Saturn copies of IV indeed. :mrgreen: M2 TFAC will be nice to have, though, with the Gold Pack conversion being famously inaccurate. At least assuming M2 used arcade ROM data?

Regardless, I pick up M2 releases on principle - super handy having decent modern options around, for busting out quick runs here and there (cf their Contra and Castlevania packs). And any of the three aforementioned games would sell a system to me, particularly that better-than-perfect Virtua Racing. Gain Ground was huge news too, with the PS2 AGES sadly never getting a do-over of its (actually not bad, and very nicely soundtracked by SST) 3D remake.

And Shinobi, of course, one of those foundational action games that stubbornly dodged proper home release over three generations. I think it was on some Digital Eclipse 360 pack but oof, was never into chancing my arm with those jokers.

Your post made me curious about ACA's lifetime record by publisher; did a quick count via the very nicely-maintained Wikipedia page. Might be off a couple here and there, bit sauced atm. Image

Namco: 39 titles
Konami: 33 titles
Taito: 31 titles
Nintendo: 20 titles
UPL: 16 titles (minus three NMK games: Black Heart, Task Force Harrier & USAAF Mustang)
Nichibutsu: 16 titles
Jaleco: 15 titles (minus four NMK games: P47, Saint Dragon, Makai Densetsu & Buta-san)
NMK: 12 titles (see Jaleco & UPL)
IREM: 10 titles
SNK: 10 titles
Tecmo: 10 titles
Sunsoft: 7 titles
Technos: 6 titles
DECO: 5 titles
Seibu: 3 titles
Video System: 3 titles
Arika: 1 title
Westone: 1 title

I was surprised to see Video System with so few (their being among the four catalogues Hamster has the rights to, along with UPL, NMK and Nichibutsu). Then I remembered, this list doesn't cover ACA NeoGeo, which bumps them up to six. Namco, Taito and Konami are a logical top three for a series like this, albeit you wouldn't know the first's meteoric arrival at just a glance. :smile:

EDIT: WHOAMG :shock:
Digging out NMv2 and rigging up the PS1 to wrestle with Dragon Buster's mindfuck jump input for ten minutes before going "maybe next year CLOVIS-kun!" is a pain, now I can do it in seconds ;3
Noticed ACA Dragon Buster had updated last week, with note: "Function added to Button Config." Checked and, yep, they added a [jump] button. Image (a year later - I'm half "why not at launch," but mostly "hell yeah, they still give a shit" :lol:

Doesn't change things tooo much, being a simple binding of [up] to a button; DB's innate paleo-jank remains. EG, if you want to leap forward, you'll still need to muscle-memo letting go of [left/right] before hitting [jump] - this delay coming naturally to the strictures of its native four-way stick. And jumping itself remains tertiary to the harshly minimalist combat, with the powerful-yet-exposing downstabs oft-pyrrhic next to a couple of well-placed bops.

Still, for 8way and/or gamepad users, particularly those who grew up post-Castlevania, the added button is a welcome addition, and a much easier introduction to DB's decidedly ancient, Druaga-informed sidescroller. As the sort of rueful idiot who actually grappled with fallen icon/arch-kusoge/Literal Brain-Rewiring IREM Bodyhorror Holy Diver, it's a trivial adjustment.
jehu

Post by jehu »

I'm still on my long Taito kick and have been sampling the delightful smattering of ACA titles available. Most recently, that's been Raimais - the pellet-devouring speed-bike Pacman on steroids.

It's a gem, and I found a hyper-detailed guide to the game on a website that's too obscure for its own good. It has translations of the in-game dialogue, hi-def scans of rare arcade promo material, guides to the various levels and mechanics. The site is a real labor of love, a tribute to Raimais - and I wanted to share in case anyone is open to returning to the game or giving it a first shot.

Raimais In-Depth Guide:http://gaming.moe/?p=1794
BIL

Post by BIL »

Zerochan aka Devil Rei! <3 She knows her stuff. One of the OGs that drew me to this place BITD.

Raimais is superb, and exemplary of late 80s Taito panache... the suavely sinister Area 1 BGM is booting in memory as I type this. I think of it as the maze chaser for people who... don't *dislike* maze chasers, per se, but might find them a bit pacifistic. :lol: Ripping pace and a killer vehicular mayhem aesthetic, tearing around the screen mowing buggers down while they attempt to do much the same to you. Those Darius II-vintage boss designs are hawt, too.

---

https://twitter.com/HAMSTER_Corp/status ... 8986081280

Metal Black's oddly-boned screen filters have been patched up. I never use 'em, but regardless, good to see Hamster keeping standards up. Image
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Must've been a PS4 only oddity? Didn't notice anything wrong with the filters at release on Switch.

Man I've been way too busy this year to keep up with the relentless pace of ACA releases. Real life fuck off please so I can play some low lag Metal Black.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Marvel Land is an utterly delightful gem on the genesis, so I would love to have the arcade original to knock around on me soytch. I think the big difference is that all the boss minigames are replaced with rock-paper-scissors? A downgrade to be sure (if that's the case) but the platforming and its plethora of secrets should remain intact.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blimey! :shock: MAHVEL's AC ver got dem GRAFX. Very Ordynesque, coming in from the games' respective home versions. While MAHVEL's MD port is certainly nearer its board's look than, say, the borderline-unrecognisable Phelios, the upgrade is welcome; particularly the softer palette. It's a rare MD cutesy that fully evaded the machine's innate metal (Chiki Chiki Boys, Monster World IV, and Magical Tarantino-kun come to mind). All this said, the chibi theme park concept was never my jam. I'm more of a Wardner/Tonma sort when it comes to my fruity little magic dudes. Hop/Bop/BUST SHOT in chibi medieval hell-world, naw mean. Image Image Yeah I know, Dover doesn't bop. He too fat, he'd mangle em 3; Who could bop in such godawful places, anyway? Probably get a lamprey up your ass.

DON'T TOUCH ME MAAAAAAN Image
Spoiler

I did always like indomitable PACO's weapon of choice, though - a lashing 360' flail, not dissimilar to Saigo no Nindou's screen-raking kusarigama. With its imperiously terrain-piercing reach, even its gradual wearing down with use feels warranted. I do hope they're not gonna make me R2LKMF with the camera biasing Paco to the left, but otherwise, it's all very comfy and conspicuously post-SMB wrt inertia and air handling; certainly when compared to the primordial lava-spewing land before time of, say, Genpei Toumaden. I wonder if that was the point of the theme park setting - thrilling yet homogenised? OMFG! Muh game journo stock is shootin up :o
EmperorIng wrote:I think the big difference is that all the boss minigames are replaced with rock-paper-scissors? A downgrade to be sure (if that's the case) but the platforming and its plethora of secrets should remain intact.
I wonder what was up with those? Chasing that Alex Kidd dollar I guess. :lol: With the choice of EASY/NORMAL at coin-in (in that lovely early 80s namco font), and the other boss type being simple button-mashing tug o' war... perhaps they were just going for a slightly younger demographic than the stone-faced game center samurai/salarymen/rokudenashi who'd endured the artform's first decade, killer's eyes unflinching in the warmthless white light. Image

Then again, a certain other 1989 highlight (and ACA Christmas goodie!) famously offers the same choice, and that one's a universally-feared murder machine. Image :o

Loved the HOPPING MAPPY advertisements - now there's an endorsement of ACA's historical value, I'd have blanked 'em previously. :mrgreen: HM being one of the few - actually, only - Namco releases I've not picked up. I'm getting old, the hopping annoys me. Put Mappy on life support after a heroic but ill-advised solo raid on CRIME BOSS MANOR, strap him into a fuckin ED209 monstrosity with a cute n' chipper onboard AI, and let me blast Goro's asshole into steaming ravioli while stomping his mooks like so much screaming catgut wrapped in tinfoil - then I'll pony up!

That is to say, pls stop prickteasing me with cutesies and bust out Splatterhouse or Rolling Thunder 2 or Metal Hawk for Christmas pls Hamster ;3 ;3 ;3

Oh yeah, I skipped Wonder Momo too. Still haven't revisited the latter in MAME. I remember despising it with bitter fury on PS1!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I noticed AC Marvel Land has scaling in a few places like other games on the same hardware.

I didn't skip Wonder Momo. Not a great game, but the presentation is leaps and bounds over the PCE port.
Last edited by BrianC on Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Indeed! All I can think playing this and Ordyne is how EGM et al would've been hyperventilating at the flexing of "MODE 7 TECHMOLOGY" :lol: Nothing says late 80s cutting-edge like rotation and/or scaling!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I was just poking around TCRF and apparently Paco was supposed to have a hammer at some point.

Would have been quite a different game if you had that. Maybe too much like Hammerin' Harry? lol
BIL

Post by BIL »

I like how when you die indoors, instead of whimsically flying off into the distant fairground, poor Pac just gets... blasted into unyielding brickwork, presumably. :lol:

The whip doubling as an item grabber is really cool. This is a weapon worthy of Hard Scrolling Action! Also whacking varmints clean through walls, ceilings and floors. THEY THOUGHT THEY WAS SAFE :shock:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

He needs to yell "SHADOW CLONE NO JUTSU!". Ryu Hayabusa crying that his shadow clones can only float around stupidly and attack in one direction.