I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jeneki

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Jeneki »

Excellent! Thanks for sharing that.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Image Ripped that shit open with the hopes of a kid opening a Christmas present :mrgreen:
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

And bought! Let’s go!!
Damn it’s beautiful.
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

Is Gun Nail not on PS4?
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Got it on PS4 but Asia Store. So it will pop up on the western ones by tomorrow I guess…
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Yeah that's normal for psn. It becomes "tomorrow" earlier over there. On the Japan store as well now.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Gunnail is dope, never played it before. Also Eschantos is out now on switch eu eshop.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Gunnail is so damn good. Image trap, I see exactly what you mean about its resemblances to Task Force Harrier - the compact, tightly-detailed sprites, generous Option-driven firepower and smartly layered boss patterns all make me think of the earlier game. The gritty low-fi spacewar aesthetic is rad too, almost like a future war in the same universe. So many spacetanks. :cool:

Anyone else feel like that's a reference to Recca's famous "TLB" in the high-speed caravan stage? :lol: Might be just me, but maybe it's not just Famibe No Yosshin who loves that evil thing.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Iam having a ton of fun with Caravan Mode on this one here. The game is fantastic. I wish Hamster would let me Tate while on High Score mode there’s even room to place the leaderboards.

Yeah I’m going to practice this one. It’s really great. Just learned about the shield multiplier thing watching a gameplay on youTube and I’m getting rank 1 by the end of stage 1 (boss x 30). Also this release looks really good with the filter and scans applied. Sounds great as well but funnily i felt the need to bring back the alarm sound. Just died a few times today convinced that i still had enough shield stocked.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Maybe I'm just a scrub. In fact, I'm certain I am. But Gunnail is really fucking hard. I don't even begin to understand how you avoid certain patterns. The bosses and some larger enemies will linger and float down until they're near the middle-bottom of the screen and then they'll start firing out these tight, dense patters. The sniper tanks in this game are also raiden tier. The bullets they fire come from the bottom side of the screen, sometimes at a 90 degree angle, and they're super fast.

Overall, I'd say this feels like NMK's answer to Tatsujin-Ou. I think the game looks cool and has good music, but I found Thunder Dragon a little less oppressive. Maybe I'm not understanding the systems.

On an unrelated, non-shmups, but related NMK ACA note, what do people think of Saboten Bombers?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Pleased to see what feels like Saigo/Slug-style firing, where mild tapping will net you the ceiling. If you're gonna have tapping, that's how to do it!

Manual fire Image
Spoiler

20hz autofire Image
Spoiler

Sima Tuna wrote:Maybe I'm just a scrub. In fact, I'm certain I am. But Gunnail is really fucking hard. I don't even begin to understand how you avoid certain patterns. The bosses and some larger enemies will linger and float down until they're near the middle-bottom of the screen and then they'll start firing out these tight, dense patters. The sniper tanks in this game are also raiden tier. The bullets they fire come from the bottom side of the screen, sometimes at a 90 degree angle, and they're super fast.
I wouldn't call it as nails-hard as Tatsujin Oh (very little is among Toaplanesques, other than the other great menacer Same3 1P ver and, tbh, Raiden II, whose AC ver gets hard as a goddamn boner - PS1 port's somewhat toned-down), but it definitely does rely on familiarity with the subgenre's usual strictures. These games were always "memorisers" on par with any IREM/Konami corridor-crusher. Stages need to be carefully routed, with sniper tank t-bone hotspots avoided, midboss encounters broken down to science, and twitch reserved for emergency recovery and the small amount of unavoidable RNG.

Per Uemura, simple-yet-tough games for salarymen to gradually break down over many consecutive evenings on their commutes home. :cool:

Saboten is wonderful. Image I still don't know what I'm doing a lot of the time, having not sat down for a proper look - but ala Bubble Bobble, it's so innately lovable, I get a lot out of it just fooling around. Also 2P is a riot. :mrgreen: trap posted some excellent resources here.

Useful Attract Mode, always a plus. Image
Spoiler
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Single screen platformers are another genre that came and went before I had access to play arcade games, so I'm slowly tracking them down. I wish Tumblepop was on ACA.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Glad folks are learning the majesty of Gunnail, and also even appreciating the alarm sound. I personally prefer it on, but at a lower volume, so I'm a little sad that Hamster didn't provide this option, but nonetheless I'm excited that it's finally out. An aesthetic dream with so many creative and interesting designs, and a great game system that's fun to play with to boot.

Also nice to see that I'm not alone in feeling like Gunnail is at least distantly related with Task Force Harrier. Even aside from the gameplay mechanics, they're the only two shooting games I can think of that compensate slowdown by multiplying the player's movement speed!
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Sima Tuna wrote:Maybe I'm just a scrub. In fact, I'm certain I am. But Gunnail is really fucking hard. I don't even begin to understand how you avoid certain patterns. The bosses and some larger enemies will linger and float down until they're near the middle-bottom of the screen and then they'll start firing out these tight, dense patters. The sniper tanks in this game are also raiden tier. The bullets they fire come from the bottom side of the screen, sometimes at a 90 degree angle, and they're super fast.
Pretty much sums up my first thoughts. I would add that the hit box feels a little big and the ship speed is just slightly on the wrong side of adequate for my liking, considering how quickly some of those bullets come at you.

I've been playing a lot of KyukyokuTiger lately (loving it), and I've adapted to it, but Gunnail is causing me trouble for similar reasons. Sniping bastards, fat as fuck hitbox. I'm sure the bullets also have that clairvoyant ability to track where you're going to end up too, like KT.
Unadan360

Post by Unadan360 »

Gunnail - can't decide between Switch or PS4. Are they identical as far as input lag?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Only familiar with PS4 myself, but ACA Switch stuff tends to be very well-regarded on here. FWIW I've no complaints with the PS4 one, feels sharp as per their usual. (the one ACA release where I've noticed input lag seems to be a natively laggy board, The Lord of King @ 5f... not unplayable, but instantly noticeable after spending hours on pinpoint-sharp stuff like ACA Rygar and VS Castlevania)
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I haven't heard of any particularly laggy ACA games on switch. I think the laggiest was 5 or 6 frames (Blazing Star was listed at 5 or 6 by markmsx on his now-defunct website). Which might sound like a lot to pc emulation players on shmups forum, but keep in mind that the switch has an additional frame of lag compared to other consoles. So the best-case scenario for any switch game is 3 frames (mushihimesama on switch is 3), and most are 4 or 5. I believe all the lag testing I've ever seen for ACA games was around 5 frames.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Sima Tuna wrote:The bosses and some larger enemies will linger and float down until they're near the middle-bottom of the screen and then they'll start firing out these tight, dense patters. The sniper tanks in this game are also raiden tier. The bullets they fire come from the bottom side of the screen, sometimes at a 90 degree angle, and they're super fast.
In games fast bullets that are difficult to react to, instead I try to follow the tempo of when enemies fire. Basically dodging the timing of enemy shots, instead of dodging the bullets themselves.

When a big enemy gets in close and I know it's going to fire soon, I move away to clear space, even if that means up the screen to do so. Tanks as well, there's a set amount of time between each shot, so I try to know if I can get on top of them before the next shot. This plays into making cutbacks (changing the direction of dodging) as well, I try to know if an enemy will fire when I'm changing direction (risking the hit) before I start that cutback. If I don't think I can pull it off, it's bombaa time.

All of this comes from playing the game a bit more and getting a feel of the enemies. It feels like chaos at first but it'll make more sense in time.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Unadan360 wrote:Gunnail - can't decide between Switch or PS4. Are they identical as far as input lag?
In my experience, Switch ports of ACA games have 1 frame or so more input lag, so pick PS4 if that's your concern.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

These days I like to play my shumps *record screech* Come to think of it, from back in '04 and Gradius V, I like to first-run my shumps stage-by-stage, moving on once I can reliably NMNB each. So all Saturday I've been like a kid in a candy store with Gunnail. Image Stage 4's superheavy ground war my mahfuckin catnip Image

CHARLIES COMIN IN HAWT (■`w´■)

Mr. Turtle you a real-ass muhfucka, but every obstacle in my way there for a reason, when I overcome em I'll be the person God intended me 2 be (`w´メ) (WTB purple lazor Image I'm an idiot, was enjoying the classic Toaplan-style damage phasing too much to mow 'im down w/ teh purps :cool:)

Also that XTRA-chunky machine design Image Makin' me think of Yuji Kaida's stuff for Tomy.

Spoiler

Exceptional mood in stage 6... the bird's eye view of twilight city sprawl, the high-speed metal carnage, and HIDE-KAZ's darkly eccentric BGM (w/trademark sullen fiery bass) all shade compellingly. Among Raidenesques, this game's aesthetic direction is outstanding... like a latter-day Toaplan that's lost its puppy fat. Way beyond competently inoffensive stuff like Shienryu and tbh Raiden, though the latter excels on sheer granite-jawed lack of frill, its sequel achieving legend when it completed the picture with spectacular, dispassionately kinetic destruction.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

trap15 wrote:
Unadan360 wrote:Gunnail - can't decide between Switch or PS4. Are they identical as far as input lag?
In my experience, Switch ports of ACA games have 1 frame or so more input lag, so pick PS4 if that's your concern.
I always buy ACA releases on PS4 (PS4 Pro here) instead of Switch. I do have a few on Switch that I also have on PS4 (Salamander/Life Force, Gradius I) but I prefer using the DS4 controller over the Switch Joycons or even the Pro Controller. Glad to know the imput lag is 1 frame less on PS4 than Switch.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Yeah Gunnail is really something. I’m totally loving it. Not sure if I will ever will able to 1 CC but would make me super proud, the game deserves it ( me too, I’m 43 next month) I’m getting consistent runs up until stage 5 but then thats where I start losing my way. I gotta remind myself to save state on a good run somewhere before or after stage 4 boss. Btw games looks beautiful tated on the gaming panel. Tough I do have some issues reading some bullets (yellow ones) from stage 5 onwards….super fast for my eyes and my chunky space ship. Really this game is special, NMK we’re really cool.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202201/19247836.html

We’re getting a Mappy that i honestly have never played.
It’s a pass for now from me, still digesting Xexex and Gunnail. Btw there’s a quick interview here where they talk about the diferences of JP vs EU Xexex versions on their release.

Ps - Damn sorry for the double post.
BIL

Post by BIL »

APOLOGISE FOR YOUR DOUBLE POST WITH A THIRD, TRIPLE POST (■`w´■)

Image :wink:

Gunnail's fifth stage seems like where they went full Tatsujin, with the successive large midboss formations. I stupidly didn't record my runs there, but all have fairly simple side-to-side macro dodges - you're inevitably gonna get broadsided the first time you see 'em, of course.

I was using Red/Homing for much of my stage-by-stage runs, and it really bit me at the fifth boss - I suspect Purple/Focus would've made not only him but the preceding midbosses easier, too. I'm a sucker for "anchor" style homing, where the beams will hook onto targets while you move around, and Gunnail's is especially cool. :cool: Seems its DPS gets heavily outmoded past stage 4, where it can pretty comfortably handle the various chunky tanks on parade.

The penultimate boss (st7/Highway) is an interesting one... at first I was "Ho ho hoooly shit" but, yeah, think outside the box a little, and he's probably easier than all but st1's. Still, it's the kind of heisty takedown that's always fun to pull off, and he's also just a cool metal monstrosity to look at. Speaking of cool designs, st2's face-shredding Metal Lotus Of Doom is a wicked cool design. :o

FAAACK YEEE DATS FUKKEN HAAAAWT Image :shock: Image
Or maybe it's a Bloomin' Onion? >_> Typin that makin me hungry tbh

Such a rad game. This, XEXEX and soon enough Thunder Dragon 2 is some serious early-90s prestige, it's been great seeing them gradually forge ahead (I'd also include last year's Cybattler, Trigon, and of course Raiden).
trap15

Post by trap15 »

BIL wrote:I was using Red/Homing for much of my stage-by-stage runs, and it really bit me at the fifth boss
Personally I use Blue for most of the stages, the damage ain't nothin to sneeze at, and the coverage is great. If you can get up close you can usually melt most of the big enemies you'd want the other weapons for anyhow.

Bosses I'd say mostly Red is the way. As long as you're not dry-firing, it actually has the same damage output capability as Purple, so it's kind of rare to actually use Purple unless you need directly focused fire (which would be more common in stages than on bosses, of course). A good case in point, take that red flamethrower (yes it's a flamethrower Image) to the aforementioned bloomin' onion and you'll get rid of him without even thinking, instead of being terrorized by his sweeps.

I've put a little technical info (hitboxes, damage numbers, etc) on my site http://daifukkat.su/strats/gunnail/ but like most of my other strategy pages it lacks most of the meat that people would want. Need to move it over to the shmups.wiki so people can actually find the info :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oshi - I'd actually written a half-joking post over the weekend, to ask you if loving Red was wrong, cos if it was, I didn't wanna be right. :mrgreen: Blimey, a homing flamethrower... I genuinely don't think I've heard the one before. Felt like I'd mugged the fourth boss with it. Image

I'd been wondering about Blue, with it seeming to be this game's classic Vulcan. The division of [main shot] and [laser] is really sharp, there's always a sense of bulldoggedly hammering targets with the former, no matter the armament. Not unlike the same year's Mahou Daisakusen, or that game's Compile forebears, now I think about it.

I remember you once said the survival difficulty was relatively low, something I'm really seeing, now that I've got the basic layouts down and know where to bomb... which means, ofc, it's time to turn those x1s into x100s. Image GET RICH AND DIE TRYIN' Image

Good balance of midrange Toaplanesque survival and a diabolical scoring method. Hell, just the visual feedback alone is compelling. Speaking of, the controlled violence of the stage clear into tally feels very proto-CAVE... the massive multiplier/white-out/red noise into sheer black is cool as hell, at any rate. This game's aesthetics have an interesting balance of genre standards (aha, there's my harbour stage!) and genuine surprises (Laputa waterfalls just before?). Wasn't expecting the last stage's opening vista, good stuff.
trap15 wrote:I've put a little technical info (hitboxes, damage numbers, etc) on my site http://daifukkat.su/strats/gunnail/ but like most of my other strategy pages it lacks most of the meat that people would want. Need to move it over to the shmups.wiki so people can actually find the info :lol:
Image Image Ta bud, you always bring the rad NMK stuff! That clears up a bunch of things I was still unsure of, particularly WRT damage output. Love the efficient formatting btw, that's pretty much what I try to approximate with my gaffer-tape n' mothballs forum writeups. :cool:
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I went searching to get this on both platforms and found it listed as Gun Nail on Switch, and Gunnail on PS4/5. :lol:
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BIL

Post by BIL »

If they'd included the proto they coulda listed it as NailGun, tapping the lucrative DIY/STG crossover market! Image

Chaps I don't know WTF Hopping Mappy is, and as recompense for my many big-dicking STG posts ITT (Image), I ask you a rare favour, is it worth a go >_> In return, here is the much cooler game Google Translate beamed into my dome with authentic Cronenbergian Cyber Violence (!) while I browsed PSN. (I don't take blind punts, buying shitty games makes me feel a torment like Galvatron in TF Animated Movie 3;)

Google Translate wrote:Hopping Magpies is an action game released by Namco in 1986. ‎
‎After leaving the Nyamko mansion, you'll start chasing with Nyamko on a new weapon. Hopping. ‎
‎Take targets in the field so that you don't get caught up in Nyamko or Mukey.
Dawn. Shipping docks of deserted Nyamko Mansion. Withering fire sends the lone cop rolling, scrambling, clawing across the asphalt. Headlong through cruel glass, towards merciless cement. Even fatally wounded, he lands and darts off with inhuman economy. A crimson trail of mortal agony vanishes into the dark of the long-abandoned cellar.

"Wait, boss! He's trapped! Trapped like a -" Fools. The brawny tomcat grimaces and floors the gas, the massive rig roaring into motion - hauling a fortune fit for kings of kings. A straight shot down the tunnel, and into mafia legend. A smirk creases Goro's bestial visage, breaking inexorably into the gleaming array of fangs feared across Mappy Town.

Goro can't see, or hear, or breathe. Grey cloud and white noise. The tunnel entrance. It pounced? Fell. Gunfire, wildly undisciplined. Surely not his men. Screaming. His men. Heaving caustic lungfulls, he manhandles the wheel with his brawny docker's arms.

It's bouncing. Hopping. A sinuous, bloodlusting metal flea. Hopping up, and down, and all around. Sending 51mm fire all around. The gore and the filth that was his men, streaking the asphalt. For a split-second, Goro's bowels fail, the natural reaction of prey thrust into predator's sight. Trace remnants of an excellent dinner foul his silk undergarments.

It's real. And the cop. THAT cop. Crucified within it, a horror of metal tendrils fucking in and out of his bullet-shredded body. His beady rat's eyes rolling in delirium. The most coveted technology in Mappy Town. The sainted bipedal assault vehicle that saved an entire town, long ago.

Worth this piffling trailer a thousandfold. And that cop - that two-bit Mickey Mouse cop took it from him.

"MY GROBDAAA!"

The engine deafens Goro to his own berserker scream, as fine leather slams pedal slams metal. EX_GROBDA turns with measured concern. Groggy, but knowing she is far from the impervious titan of legend. A crisp report, and the smarting *ping* of lead on front axel.

"Ballistics some crazy-ass shit, Mappeh. Ain't I always told you?" A rictus spasm for a laugh. You're dead, pops. Raw chunks of Goro's asshole, testes and taint are rocketing from the cab's sun roof, like a meaty gout of highly-pressurised ravioli. She cries every night.

"You's dead too, boy! You best work on that, cus you make my little girl a widow fore her twenty-first birthday, imma kill you all over again!" Tears. Goro's skull is gone. Goro is gone. Something has taken the wheel in his stead. A headless shitting eunuch wraith - designated executor of a last sledgehammer blow from beyond.

Give command Mappeh or ur brain die 3;

The graviton round thunks into the chamber even as the beast's haunches coil with unfathomable potential energy. The asphalt shatters, explodes like a skylight under a falling man's body. A mile below, the shell detonates with a comforting "whump." All evidence of the Great Nyamko Mansion Heist of 1982 sinks beneath the waves of a newborn crater lake.

Wake up Mappeh :3

Far away. Blue sky, green grass. Vital signs stable. Black sky, blood grass, scourged with suppurating pox. All around. Closing in fast Mappeh. Gravitational and fusion warheads detected.

"Enemies... who?"

Everyone that wants to kill Mappeh and Grobda 3;

"Which is... ?"

Everyone in Mappy Town 3; 3; 3;

TLDR: WTB ACA VALTRIC, HAMADA-SAN PLS IMMA PAY BIG BUX 4 U ;3 ;3 ;3

I'LL WRITE SHA-WEEEEEET REVIEW THAT GET 1x MORE SALE, I BET MY LEFT NUT (`w´メ)

VIOLENT TANK ACTION PLS ;3 ;3 ;3 (AN ASSAULT IS FINE TOO)
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Hamster, you fucks, you release THIS instead of Thunder Dragon 2?
BIL

POST IS MOSTLY ABOUT JACKING IT TO VG GIRLZ 3; 3; 3;

Post by BIL »

I'm staring really hard, but all I can see is Mappy piloting EX_Grobda against an army of jets, tanks and enemy mechs, slaying them with miniguns and lasers and rockets and EMPs, and most controversially of all, the absolutely brutal stomp that leaves 'em a pile of burning metal and gore. 3;

TBH it wouldn't surprise me if they make madder bank on the Namco ubiquities than any of their previous, I could never mind. :mrgreen: They've more than earned a little playing to the crowd at this point.

(also from what I can tell Hopping Mappy is kind of a deep cut, in JP context. so y'know, aww, good for them. "Hmm hmm hmm, sushi, kamikaze, teriya -*cereal spray* HOREHHH SHIETTO! I RABU HOPPINGU MAPPYUUU! BUY NOW PREASE GRANDCHILDREN BEFORE MY SPILIT DEPARTO, SO I MAY GO "HOPPINGU" W/ "MAPPY-SAN" - WAN RASTU TIMEU" Image is what I imagine some 65yo dude yelling at his confused grandkids over the breakfast table in NIHONGOVILLE Image

And consider this - while the grandparents and grandkids are enjoying a wholesome game of HOPPINGU MAPPIE, mom and dad can get down to some HARDCORE FUCKIN' Image Support ACA and fight Japan's demographic crisis, AT SAME TIME :shock:)

I mean, unless they went with that fucking kusoge Wonder Momo. :evil: Look I get it, I was young once too - just jack off already, it's cheaper. :|

(I'm tormented by the possibility Wonder Momo is actually a bussinly creative entry in the Spartan X subgenre, and I dropped it too soon because Contact Jank Reaction, I did that with Genpei and Dragon Buster and they're both really cool once you do a bit of DIY Anti Jank Inoculation, aka IRL Cronenbergian Cyber Body Horror - but the minor sort! :shock: Not like Holy Diver which will overwrite your ancestral muscle memory 3;

Momo do be cute though, I'd blast my load to that strumpet over whatever the Christ CAVE were putting in their games towards the end! Image