I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by BrianC »

CRP wrote:
BrianC wrote:I went ahead and downloaded the Pac-Man, despite having Namco Museum on Switch. I'm leaning towards the latter being the better version since it has better screen options, ...
Curious in what way has museum version better screen options ?
AA has the usual screen options that most newer AA has (unfiltered, filtered, or different levels of scanlines with smoothing filter) and Namco Museum has adjustable scaling options and an adjustable perfect pixel (forgot exactly what it was called) option. AA looks distorted with smoothing turned off in handheld mode, but looks good without smoothing in docked 1080p. Nothing like perfect pixel for handheld mode.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Haven't played it, but I've read online that Xevious has screen options to simulate CRT monitor burn-in :lol:
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

parodius wrote:Haven't played it, but I've read online that Xevious has screen options to simulate CRT monitor burn-in :lol:
Namco Museum DS has this feature too. The AA version also has some other nice preference options like sol tower locations (some of these were also in Namco Museum DS).

Typhoon Gal is this week's game. Looks like it could be fun, from what I played so far. Plays a little bit like a mix of Karate Champ and a wrestling game. Also reminds me a bit of Renegade/Kunio with how the stages are a small area where bosses come out after enough enemies are defeated.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

IT'S TIME TO PUT IN MORE COINS, MAN 8)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Is that first one Thunder Dragon 2? Been hoping for that one for a while.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I've never been more unhappy to not read japanese.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

R=Dev & Game R=NMK & Thunder Dragon 2 R=Taito & Mizubaku Daibouken [Liquid Kids] R=Data East & Trio the Punch R=Tecmo & Ganbare Ginkun R=Tecmo & Touki Denshou Angel Eyes R=Namco & Genpei Toumaden R=Video System & Rabio Lepus R=UPL & Mutant Night
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

TD2 Image

WHOA, ITS BEAUTIFUL (;`w´;)

Mizubaku, Rabio and Trio have been day 1s for months on end now, glad to see they're still on there - will happily nab up Genpei, too. Already moving a little towards the more obscure end of the Museums (from Western perspective), here's hoping for Assault. :cool:

All this said, I wonder if they'll continue with their grab-bag approach. It's seen some great unexpected treats, so I've no complaints. Speaking of!
BrianC wrote:Typhoon Gal is this week's game. Looks like it could be fun, from what I played so far. Plays a little bit like a mix of Karate Champ and a wrestling game. Also reminds me a bit of Renegade/Kunio with how the stages are a small area where bosses come out after enough enemies are defeated.
Really cool little game, surprised I've never heard of it.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

We're not worthy!

Liquid Kids is a fantastic game. Thunder Dragon 2, don't even need to say. Anyone who likes arcade platformers should grab Liquid Kids.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Liquid Kids is so good. Definitely gotta pick that one up right away. Really happy Angel Eyes is finally making it out too.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Pretty essential titles there. Beautiful.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I'm going to need a new drug dealer for a large chunk of that lineup. :lol:

I thought Mutant Night was already out? Must be one of those weird cases where it's late on the Switch for whatever reason.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, just one of those few remaining stragglers - I'd totally snap it up too, if I hadn't already. :cool: Signature UPL, wild and creative yet disciplined shooting action. Mutron-kun is a little star. Image
Super Joe

Post by Super Joe »

Xexex is coming !!!!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Gunnail, too! Beautiful, just beautiful. Image Looking forward to Black Heart too, plus Raimais and Qix. The latter are on the PS2 Taito Memories discs, but the more stuff that gets ACA treatment the merrier.
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

You guys are fucking easy. They released an almost identical list 12 months ago on twitter with Angel Eyes, Ganbare Ginkun etc and i'm STILL waiting. This list may NEVER come out anytime soon, do not hold your breath.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I pass the time by 1CCing the stuff that's already out. :cool:

The erratic schedule can be trying (I was waiting a whole year for Guevara, while its crappy stablemates Ikari III and Datsugoku beat it to release), but the innate replay value of arcade games makes "out when it's out" a lot easier to deal with. As long as stuff doesn't outright go missing I'm cool with it.

NGL though, the merest promise of quality home releases of XEXEX, TD2, Gunnail, Black Heart and Raimais does give me mucho manloves Image
Marc

Post by Marc »

Damn, some good shit there.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I never played Gunnail but I saw some footage and it looks great.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Redfox wrote:You guys are fucking easy. They released an almost identical list 12 months ago on twitter with Angel Eyes, Ganbare Ginkun etc and i'm STILL waiting. This list may NEVER come out anytime soon, do not hold your breath.
Yeah, I've got to say that the only negative thing is their release schedule - there isn't one.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

The lack of release dates doesn't really bother me. These are old arcade games. Anyone who wants to play them right now has any number of means to do so. When it comes out I'll still buy it.

btw did someone say Gunnail? I wonder if they'll add an option to disable that sound effect. :wink:
Last edited by Jeneki on Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Here is our ACA for the week Genpei ToumaDen.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/amp/202110 ... ssion=true

Never played it before.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
BIL

Post by BIL »

Jeneki wrote:btw did someone say Gunnail? I wonder if they'll add an option to disable that sound effect. :wink:
Haha, same. Could see it going either way tbh. Either it stays on for authentic annoyance, or it gets a Preference setting (hopefully with a little GIF of an alarm clock :mrgreen:)
DenimDemon wrote:Here is our ACA for the week Genpei ToumaDen.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/amp/202110 ... ssion=true

Never played it before.
Nice! It's a weird one... lots of perspective changes and wild marionette sprites. It was a massive hit in Japan, not surprised to see it hot on the heels of Pac-Man and Xevious (which I think are out for PS4 this week too). Kino's a big fan, always meant to revisit the Namco Museum Vol.4 version after his recommendation. Looking forward to finally putting some quality time on it. :cool:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Hmm I'll have to test drive this I think - not sold on the large-sprite sections at all. Reminds me of Sword of Sodan :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oof, blimey - they'll nail you for blasphemy in Nippon! :shock: But yeah, I totally see it. :lol: Definitely worth a tryout, it's pretty infamously weird. Cooler than Sodan at the very least. :cool:
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

On the road to Kamakura, Genji's soldiers such as Yoshitsune and Benkei are attacking。Get rid of everything and collect three kinds of genitals for the morning to overthrow
Uh... what?
BIL

Post by BIL »

So that's what inspired Under Ninja :shock:

Spoiler

EDIT: Yep, all three Namco ACAs - PacMan, Xevious and Genpei - up now on JPSN. Some nice Preference Options in these, including a couple of important bugfixes for Genpei Touma Den (enabled by default; can be toggled off). Genpei uses its Western title "The Genji and the Heike Clans," but the ROM is nevertheless the Japanese version (just like a few earlier ACA releases which contain the JP version only, but still display Western titles if the PS4 language is set to EN, eg Dogosoken and Guevara)

Spoiler

Sadly doesn't include The Tale of Three Dicks :wink:

Spoiler

As to the game itself, total fever dream as always. Image The careening action won't be for everyone (antithesis of deadly-precise stuff like Spartan X and Green Beret), but it does genuinely compensate for the innately looser style. Occasional hits don't matter much, as long as you keep clear of the brunt of things.

I wonder if Gotch handled this, as with the earlier Arcade Game Series. Has the exceptionally smooth scrolling of their ACA stuff.

Spoiler
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I've been playing Aero Fighters 2, Aero Fighters 3 and Thunder Dragon. Never got a chance to play these (or really any arcade games) when growing up.

Aero Fighters feels a lot like a jankier Psikyo. Super fast bullets, big roster of characters and fun level design. I really like Aero Fighters 2 and can see myself trying to play it more seriously. I do not like Aero Fighters 3 because it has this horrible screeching boss music that sounds like an audio bug. Wasn't too impressed with the game design overall and it felt like they were trying to hard with the comedy for this game. Some of the bombs are horrible and I think the only reason they work the way they do is for gag purposes.

Thunder Dragon was an unexpected surprise. I knew the sequel was good but wasn't expecting this one to be so fun. The background visuals are underwhelming, but the explosions and models look great. Game design feels like someone played Raiden and then set out to fix everything annoying about that game. The bomb goes off instantly and clears the screen. Weapon powerups don't need to hit max strength to be usable. The game waits until the latter half before hitting you with BS homing zako rushes and spawning enemies from behind. When you continue, you're generously given a massive bomb stockpile and max power. The four weapon types are all at least usable. There wasn't a single time where I felt shafted if I accidentally collected the wrong weapon. I think people would probably get out the pitchforks if I said this game is better than Raiden 1, but I certainly like it more. And I like Raiden. Both games (Raiden and Thunder Dragon) have fantastic music too.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Hopefully Gunail comes out soon. Played it a little bit and it seemed pretty cool. Also I haven't had much success emulating it so an official release would be nice.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Gunnail is great news!

If we could have Fire Barrel, AIr Gallet and Gundhara I'd be in ACA heaven!!! 8)