shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun May 09, 2021 7:43 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:54 pm 

BIL wrote:
"?" capsules.

Was gonna write something about the practicality of collecting these (don't forget about those hidden items too) in a game that seems to loop forever but now I'm completely confused again as to which version I'm playing. Replay Burner's demonstration seems to have a far less aggressive second loop. Things I noticed during my run: not only are there far more enemy shots, the powerup placement has been adjusted as well, leaving you far too underpowered to take out the flying rocks and this part becomes extremely difficult. You cant take down the two enemy bases quick enough and the screen some becomes flooded with bullets and enemies.

This must be some weird revision. My version limits you to one speedup. It's possible to jinx this by getting the game to drop 2 Ss and grabbing them both but after that, S will never drop again until you die. The above video shows S always dropping. BIL which version are you playing?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:14 pm 

New Japan, via PS4 ACA - I definitely didn't get quite so aggressive a loop, actually it seemed pretty similar, so I called it a day there. Wish I'd made a savestate for research purposes. :oops:

EDIT: ah balls, I'm curious about Speedups too. BACK 2 THE FRONT Image I was practicing stage 4/battleship, starting with a state that had died at the third boss. I was getting at least two speedups, there, before I reset the game. Now that you mention it, in no-miss play, I don't recall seeing another speedup after the very first one, in stage 1.

However I have been drinking and gaming all Saturday, so it may be I was just studiously avoiding them, as one speedup is plenty imo Image

It seems clear that your current loadout directly affects the weapons that appear. EG, you have to have four Options for super weapons to drop. You have to have a super weapon for "?" to drop. I guess dying and returning to base status has some effect on speedup drops.

EDIT2: Whoa, weird. The music's at a slightly lower tempo in that ReplayBurners vid, compared to not only ACA... but every recording I've ever heard of the game's music, including straight off the PCB. Bizarre! :\ I know they can use some formidably ancient MAME versions (I seem to recall a Ninja Spirit replay using friggin 2001), maybe that explains it. Here's what I'm used to hearing.

FIRST ATTACK ♫, what a great st1 tune! Catchy and commanding. I only wish the stage were a little more cinematic. However, this is made up for a thousandfold hearing the sadistically keening GREAT BATTLESHIP ♫ against teh sunset sky, as the player plunges into the metal jaws of hell Image MACHINE GRAVEYARD is quite moody on OSV but becomes a cowbell-tapping behemoth via AST! TAP THAT COWBELL YOU FUCK Christ these games make me nerd out hard Image

Last edited by BIL on Sat May 01, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:31 pm 

And this is precisely why I'm so frustrated with people demanding to run old versions on their Pi.

It creates massive headaches like these. Imagine how bad it'll be in 20 more years when there will be even fewer people alive who ever played it on the original hardware and able to tell what it's supposed to be like!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:03 pm 

BIL wrote:
MACHINE GRAVEYARD is quite moody on OSV but becomes a cowbell-tapping behemoth via AST! TAP THAT COWBELL YOU FUCK Christ these games make me nerd out hard Image
Probably been mentioned before but this tune was used again for Gradius III's moai stage with a different arrangement.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:08 pm 

Holy fuck, yeah :o Ominous tunes both. Never twigged that, somehow. Then again I didn't spot the Skywalker/In The Wind connection until the composer himself pointed it out, either. Image

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:13 pm 

Yeah never caught that one! I have to say Skywalker makes for a much better first stage. I do remember rediscovering Thunder Cross via MAME about 20 years ago and recognising the tune from Gokujou Parodius.

Last edited by Sly Cherry Chunks on Sat May 01, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:17 pm 

God damn, I went to look up this ancient favourite and WTF @ downvotes. Image Cunts Image

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:14 pm 

BIL wrote:
God damn, I went to look up this ancient favourite and WTF @ downvotes. Image Cunts Image

I added an upvote. Mario Paint is good stuff.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:22 pm 

Yeah same Image

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:42 am 

Picked up Thunder Cross 2 on Switch.... there's only one version included!?

Turrican wrote:
Johnpv wrote:
I'm just never getting Raiden am I Hamster.

my feelings exactly.

Also, is it me or Thunder Cross fares a lot better as a 1988 title, al things considered, than the half-baked sequel in 1991?

Yeah, I was thinking the same last night. In fairness though, I didn't play for too long and a was quite drunk, but I was certainly a little underwhelmed.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12