Raiden II on PS1 and PC - are they arcade-exact ?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
gigadrive32

Raiden II on PS1 and PC - are they arcade-exact ?

Post by gigadrive32 »

I have Raiden Project on Playstation1 which of course contains Raiden II. I also have the Windows 95 PC Raiden II. but I have never seen the arcade version--and obviously Raiden II is not working in MAME or any other emulator (that i am aware of anyway). so my question, of course, is, are the PS1 and PC versions of Raiden II arcade-exact or what ?
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

I recall reading somewhere that the PC version is missing a subtle element or two from the PS1 port. Also I think someone on this forum with the PCB mentioned some subtle differences between the PS1 port and the PCB as well.

If true, that would mean... PCB > PS1 > PC
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

I never tried playing Raiden II 2 player in the arcade (everyon else was huddling around the Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter machines), so I can't verify if it's got the same slowdown problems that the Raiden Project version does.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

I would say both ports are pretty arcade close. The PC verison's performance will depend on your computer's horsepower, so if you have a crappy PC, you may have slowdown problems.

The PS1 port is almost dead-on perfect (except that US verisons TATE mode doesn't alter the controls for that mode, so you have to TATE the controller as well).
poieo

Post by poieo »

If i remember, the only thing separating the PC version from the others is that the PC version had dithered shadows instead of true transparency.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Raiden DX ps1 port plays dead-on at par with the pcb; though it misses some of the colors. But it is the most accurate conversion I have ever played.
PC version is very good, but does not play exactly the same.
Tony Gradius

Post by Tony Gradius »

Just played my PSX Raiden Project PAL via ePSXe. With this neat little emu I now can play zhe game at full speed 60 Hz. Great :D .

Love this games. My favourite vert.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Get the Jap PSX Raiden Project. 99% Arcade perfect and true TATE controls. Skip the U.S. version, it doesn't have proper controls in TATE mode.

Bless those brave U.S. executives who have saved the lives of countless TV's by axing or mucking around with TATE modes. :roll: