Crimzon Clover World Explosion (Switch)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
gabe

Re: Crimzon Clover World Explosion (Switch)

Post by gabe »

What a treat of a game.

Also the first game to make me reconsider my decision to purchase a Swich lite.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Oh yeah, I was just coming in to say, I would hate being stuck to using JoyCons for this one. This shit is for the birds im handheld mode. Sort of being limited visually is expected but these analog sticks are atrocious for this game.
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

Is the Switch Lite d-pad (or the regular Switch "d-pad") even worse than the analog sticks? I was thinking about grabbing it for my kid's Switch, plus maybe a Flip Grip. I'm not too picky but I hope one of those methods will work.
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

I've been wanting to play this game since it's initial release years ago but sadly I have not until now. Of course it was a day one purchase for me on the switch and I've been loving it. Super impressed and sorry I waited all these years. Having said that I do have a couple questions for those more versed than me;

1) what is the significance of the "Rate up speed" that appears directly above the break rate text at the start of the game?

2) in the stage detail widget, what is "Flush"?

3) this is more superficial but why don't we have the super plays that were contained in earlier releases (as dlc I believe) and are the planning on offering this. I guess I don't really need it with youtube and all but I do like watching super impressive runs

Also, I've watched some vids (mainly the stellar runs from icarus) and read up on scoring and while I guess I have the basic idea of it all and do ok in that regard, I can't seem to get my break rate as high as I'd like /expected so I'm assuming there is something I'm overlooking. I see scattered info on scoring here and around the internet but nothing comprehensive going into any detail on how to really push the scores / break rate way up. Does anyone know of any good resources in that regard? Given the age and praise of the game I'm kinda surprised at the lack of info. (I'm asking in regards to original mode atm)
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

£17 on uk eshop not bad
Is it any different to steam version?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

dmk1198 wrote:£17 on uk eshop not bad

A new arrange mode (and maybe a couple other minor things) but missing the superplay (paid) dlc pack which is just videos and strategies.
guigui

Post by guigui »

seiatsu wrote: 1) what is the significance of the "Rate up speed" that appears directly above the break rate text at the start of the game?

2) in the stage detail widget, what is "Flush"?

3) this is more superficial but why don't we have the super plays that were contained in earlier releases (as dlc I believe) and are the planning on offering this. I guess I don't really need it with youtube and all but I do like watching super impressive runs

Also, I've watched some vids (mainly the stellar runs from icarus) and read up on scoring and while I guess I have the basic idea of it all and do ok in that regard, I can't seem to get my break rate as high as I'd like /expected so I'm assuming there is something I'm overlooking. I see scattered info on scoring here and around the internet but nothing comprehensive going into any detail on how to really push the scores / break rate way up. Does anyone know of any good resources in that regard? Given the age and praise of the game I'm kinda surprised at the lack of info. (I'm asking in regards to original mode atm)
I'm definitely interested in some answers for those questions too, especially the part about scoring/optimizing the break bar filling. Maybe asking Icarus directly ? This guy knows how to write a strategy guide ;)

Also about the control method on switch, I find that a pro controller with the console on a table in Tate mode is the best one can have in handheld mode. I find the flip grip not as good, because the dpad is definitely not as good as the one on the pro controller, and you always get the screen attached to your smallest hands movements.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

Yeah the thumbstick and dpad were pretty rough. I'll try the pro controller tomorrow. The type-A ship felt a bit laggy to me but maybe that's because I've been cheesing with type-Z too much. [EDIT] Oops, someone switched my TV out of Game mode.

This is from the strategy guide PDFs found in the PC version:
Aiming for a high score in ORIGINAL MODE  
◆ Try to get a high Lock-on Multiplier for enemies (Maximum is 12.8).
→ This raises the point value of both enemies you destroy and stars you collect. It also increases the speed at
which the Break Gauge and Break Rate go up.
◆ Point-blank enemies and make effective use of bullet cancels to raise the Break Rate.
→ This raises the point value of both enemies you destroy and stars you collect.
◆ Try to increase the number of times you enter Break Mode and Double Break Mode.
→ This raises the point value of both enemies you destroy and stars you collect. It also raises the speed the
Break Rate goes up.
In particular, by the latter half of the stages the Break Rate is always higher, so you can quickly raise your
score there by entering Break Mode or Double Break Mode.

Set your Lock-On Multiplier and enter Break Mode 】
Whenever you enter Break Mode, there is a lengthy period in which enemy bullets will be cancelled. If you enter
Break Mode with your Lock-on Multiplier set high and cancel a large number of bullets, your Lock-on Multiplier
Timer will increase greatly.
While the Lock-on Multiplier is active, your Break Gauge and Break Rate increase much faster, so actively keeping
your Lock-on Multiplier high is a key component of scoring well.
Last edited by Tim James on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

seiatsu wrote:
dmk1198 wrote:£17 on uk eshop not bad

A new arrange mode (and maybe a couple other minor things) but missing the superplay (paid) dlc pack which is just videos and strategies.
Cheers

XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I always ask these sorts of questions but does Crimzon Clover's style of music have a name? Instrumentation and it's compositions?
I love the unique sound of it.

And it's great just how deathly serious some tracks are. Evil Miasma sounds like...well just that. Really evokes images of some writhing malignant entity stewing in the depths.

And good lord the boss themes! They're all so fitting and in sync with the pace of the fight. I really like how Maelstrom's suits the carousel nature and literal escalation of the battle. The songs for Hecatoncheir and Diabolos are as upfront and dramatic as the hulking mechanical masses angrily JUMP into your face at the start. Titanix is a low menacing simmer as he slowly rises from the elevator and isn't too intense since he's the first battle. And then Gorgoneion's is a long build up that really starts when he's fully lit up, beginning his attacks.
I wonder how people get music to work this well in tandem with the flow of the game.

@u@
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

The funny thing about buying a game for myself on my kid's Switch is that of course he wants to play too. I woke up this morning and he was already blasting away and feeding continues. So now I have a little kid learning to play shmups.

I almost forgot about 2-player as well!
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Tim James wrote:The funny thing about buying a game for myself on my kid's Switch is that of course he wants to play too. I woke up this morning and he was already blasting away and feeding continues. So now I have a little kid learning to play shmups.

I almost forgot about 2-player as well!
Tell him to play Unlimited.

Using Type 3.
gabe

Post by gabe »

Tim James wrote:Is the Switch Lite d-pad (or the regular Switch "d-pad") even worse than the analog sticks? I was thinking about grabbing it for my kid's Switch, plus maybe a Flip Grip. I'm not too picky but I hope one of those methods will work.
The control thing largely comes down to personal preference. I find the Switch Lite D-Pad to be adequate, but I'd rather be playing on a Seimitsu LS-40. I find the screensize of the Switch Lite to be the greater challenge to overcome. It seems to require a slightly uncomfortable amount of eyestrain to keep an eye trained on the lil bb hitbox.
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

XoPachi wrote:10 years and I'm just now noticing the time attack mode. I thought this was a whole new addition for EX. I don't know how I missed this.
Fun as shit. I'm ass though. I can't break 42 million. :c
Haha! Same here!

I just got to 42 million myself (B++ for rank), but that's with Type-Z, so probably way worse comparatively. I love the little cheer and confetti you sometimes get at the end.
endali

Post by endali »

Y'all need to go to Amazon and order an 8bitdo m30 and then y'all can stop worry about dpads on your switch forever

Also is novice mode on switch like way fucking harder than novice on on pc? Seems way harder
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I recommend the 2.4G M30 for Genesis/MD Mini over the bluetooth one. HORI's fighting commander is on switch now and it's awesome. I use the Hori split pad pro for handheld mode, but it only works when connected to the system, so it's a no go for vertical mode. There are USB A to C adapters available that work great for using wired controllers in tabletop mode, though.

Switch definitely runs the game better than my older laptop, though it runs well on the newer one and the desktop. The Steam version has some odd tearing when V-Sync is off, but runs especially well with G-Sync. Tests on lag should be interesting since the PS4 has 4 frames with V-Sync off and the switch version feels very responsive.
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

I agree that the control here is super tight. Even feels quite playable with analog.

I still can't figure out what "Rate up speed" and "Flush" signify though.
guigui

Post by guigui »

seiatsu wrote: I still can't figure out what "Rate up speed" and "Flush" signify though.
Maybe "rate up speed" has something to do with how fast the Break Rate increases ? I have no idea why it only appears at the start of a stage, and how you can modify it.

No idea on flush either.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Thjodbjorn wrote:
XoPachi wrote:10 years and I'm just now noticing the time attack mode. I thought this was a whole new addition for EX. I don't know how I missed this.
Fun as shit. I'm ass though. I can't break 42 million. :c
Haha! Same here!

I just got to 42 million myself (B++ for rank), but that's with Type-Z, so probably way worse comparatively. I love the little cheer and confetti you sometimes get at the end.
I didn't have Z at the time I set that, but it's apparently WAY better for scoring in it.....like makes the other ships irrelevant. lol
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

guigui wrote:
seiatsu wrote: I still can't figure out what "Rate up speed" and "Flush" signify though.
Maybe "rate up speed" has something to do with how fast the Break Rate increases ? I have no idea why it only appears at the start of a stage, and how you can modify it.
My understanding is that the "rate up speed" just indicates how fast the break rate increases on that stage; each stage has its own specific scalar value, and it's designed to make it so that the shorter/earlier stages are still relevant for scoring, instead of just the last stage like a lot of Cave games.
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

I just thought "rate up speed" at the beginning was just flavor text about how you were taking off and accelerating up to speed.

If it is referring to break rate then perhaps that goes up every stage? As much as I've played this I've not given it any thought.
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

BrianC wrote:I recommend the 2.4G M30 for Genesis/MD Mini
Looks like I own the non-Mini version. I'll try it tonight.

My problem with this game has always been the hand strain from continuously holding the fire button while also frequently pressing the lock-on button. On PC I use an auto-fire macro so I can at least play even though it's suboptimal for scoring.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The M30 has 2.4g and Bluetooth variants. 2.4g has a version with a USB dongle that works with MD Mini and Switch and a version with a dongle for MD/Genesis. All look nearly identical, aside from 2.4g on the 2.4g version. I have gotten the MD/Genesis and MD Mini/Switch versions mixed up a few times with me wondering why the controller isn't working. lol.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Tim James wrote: My problem with this game has always been the hand strain from continuously holding the fire button while also frequently pressing the lock-on button. On PC I use an auto-fire macro so I can at least play even though it's suboptimal for scoring.
It does lend itself more to using a joystick than a controller. I set the left-most button to be lock-on, and the button next to it to be fire. That way, I can just hold down fire with my middle and index fingers, while tapping lock-on with my pointer finger. Takes a lot of strain out of the repetitive action.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
FRO

Post by FRO »

Has anyone really dug into the new arrange mode on the Switch version yet, and determined what the major differences are? Just watching a bit of video footage, I haven't gleaned much yet, other than the aura around the ship and visual changes that make it look like it's trying to be a later DDP game.
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

As you gain energy, you get to choose between different upgrades. So energy meter 10-20 full might be an extra two options, 30-40 might be increased range on lock, 70-90 will be break mode. You select the upgrade by pressing bomb/break when the meter is at your desired upgrade.

I apologize if I didn't explain well!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Tim James wrote:Is the Switch Lite d-pad (or the regular Switch "d-pad") even worse than the analog sticks? I was thinking about grabbing it for my kid's Switch, plus maybe a Flip Grip. I'm not too picky but I hope one of those methods will work.
I'm using a 1st-gen Switch console with a Flip Grip setup and it works like a charm. You'd just need to enable wireless communication with both joy-con controllers though. Vibration functionality works just fine with 'em joy-cons as well.

I'd recommend a good Switch arcade stick such as the Hori Nintendo Switch Hayabusa stick: https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch- ... 318&sr=8-6 as it gives playing CC-WE that proper arcade stick as it's meant to be played with. No need to settle for the rinky-dinky joy-con controllers as CC-WE demands absolute precision inputs with an arcade stick in the higher stages -- it's a given alrighty.

The hard-core Switch setup route: you can set the Switch to the Docking Station and have it hooked up to a rotating (in true tate & no less than that) 16:10 aspect ratio sized PC LCD monitor via HDMI input and you're in business with CC-WE indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Tim James wrote:
My problem with this game has always been the hand strain from continuously holding the fire button while also frequently pressing the lock-on button. On PC I use an auto-fire macro so I can at least play even though it's suboptimal for scoring.
Yeah depending on the controller it can wear on you. I tend to put my lock to a bumper though mashing the face buttons is more tolerable on the Switch pro pad for me. I'm of the minority that likes mushy buttons with less give.
Otherwise I just use my joystick....

I want to play this game with the Project Diva pad so I can slap the SHIT out of the lock on button. :u
guigui

Post by guigui »

FRO wrote:Has anyone really dug into the new arrange mode on the Switch version yet, and determined what the major differences are? Just watching a bit of video footage, I haven't gleaned much yet, other than the aura around the ship and visual changes that make it look like it's trying to be a later DDP game.
Basically you get a Gradius-like power up bar which fills like your usual Break Bar. Available power ups are :
* Speed
* More options. When you have the maximum number of options, this power up allows you to switch their behavior between normal behavior and auto-aim behavior.
* More lock-ons. When you have the maximum number of lock-ons, this power up allows you to switch their behavior between normal behavior (able to lock all around your ship), and front locking only behavior for more frontal firepower.
* Shield : acts like an autobomb.
* Break mode. While in Break mode, if you fill your bar fast enough you can access Double Break mode, and if you fill again your bar, you can access Extend Break mode, for even more colored firepower.

Using those power ups in the heat of the action is quite hard, so the game offers a "semi-auto" handling of the bar which powers up your ship automatically for the 1st options, lock-ons and shield you might need at the beginning (of course you can still power up yourself if you like). Then it is up to you to handle which formation you iike and when to Break.

Also note that only in Unlimited Arrange, your regular shot cancels enemies bullet, ala DDPDFK. Nice twist.

Overall I find that it is a very fun and very scoring friendly mode. It also seems to be easier than Arcade mode, but not to the point where you can breeze through it.
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

I have a Qanba Obsidian fightstick, but it looks like it's incompatible with the Switch. I don't think I'm motivated enough by Arrange mode to pay the $40 for a Brooks converter.

I still need to beat Arcade Original on World Ignition. The new release has inspired me to get back to it!