Crimzon Clover World Explosion (Switch)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Thjodbjorn

Re: Crimzon Clover World Explosion (Switch)

Post by Thjodbjorn »

The Mayflash Magic NS is only $20 and works really well, if that makes a difference.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

Thjodbjorn wrote:The Mayflash Magic NS is only $20 and works really well, if that makes a difference.
I have the Magic NS to use my wireless X360 Controller on the Switch and I am very happy with it. I also have the Retro-Bit Saturn Bluetooth controller which was tested to be one of the lowest input lag ones in Shmup Junkie's Switch controller comparison video. If there is an input lag difference between those two controllers I can't feel it.

The only complaint I have is the blinking light from the adapter, but a piece of electrical tape fixed that.
silvergunner

Post by silvergunner »

@ Tim James

Thanks alot for the guide,helps me to raise my scores significally :D

Have a blast with CC,currently playing all arrange modes and novice modes.
Will switch to Arcade when I get a 1cc in Novice (get it far into Stage 5)

There is one only thing I´m missing: Watching other peoples replays !
I´m in hope for a patch in near future
guigui

Post by guigui »

I’d also appreciate an All-ships leaderboard.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

I got the 1CC in novice. I was doing a no death run up to the final boss. Then lost 4 or 5 lives on him. Still squeaked it out. Not sure a 1CC on arcade is possible for me after seeing the final boss and all his forms.

I hit 31 on the leaderboards for novice with the ship I was using which seemed pretty cool.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Kind of wish for the first part of stage 5, you could use Tears of Wings and then for the second part of the stage, you could use the Back of Beyond.
That stage's 4 pieces of music are inversely dramatic between Original and Unlimited to me and I don't particularly find Heaven's Gate at all exciting enough. Especially playing on Unlimited.
FRO

Post by FRO »

guigui wrote:Basically you get a Gradius-like power up bar which fills like your usual Break Bar. Available power ups are :
* Speed
* More options. When you have the maximum number of options, this power up allows you to switch their behavior between normal behavior and auto-aim behavior.
* More lock-ons. When you have the maximum number of lock-ons, this power up allows you to switch their behavior between normal behavior (able to lock all around your ship), and front locking only behavior for more frontal firepower.
* Shield : acts like an autobomb.
* Break mode. While in Break mode, if you fill your bar fast enough you can access Double Break mode, and if you fill again your bar, you can access Extend Break mode, for even more colored firepower.

Using those power ups in the heat of the action is quite hard, so the game offers a "semi-auto" handling of the bar which powers up your ship automatically for the 1st options, lock-ons and shield you might need at the beginning (of course you can still power up yourself if you like). Then it is up to you to handle which formation you iike and when to Break.

Also note that only in Unlimited Arrange, your regular shot cancels enemies bullet, ala DDPDFK. Nice twist.

Overall I find that it is a very fun and very scoring friendly mode. It also seems to be easier than Arcade mode, but not to the point where you can breeze through it.
Thanks for the concise explanation!
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Finally getting to play this game thanks to the Switch port — it’s fun.
Definitely FEELS like a Cave game, which is something many developers have tried with little success.
I dig it.
StudioMudprints

Post by StudioMudprints »

Arrange Unlimited is like a drug. The constant bullet cancels, giant multipliers and duration boosting for score paired with the flexible Gradius-style power-up system is as satisfying as it gets.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

[raises hand like a good noodle]

I always wanted to know something. Crimzon Clover's graphics... The sprites specifically. How is something like this achieved exactly? Clearly they're 3D models but as 2D sprites. But their animations are still very smooth (if something moves anyway).

I have always really liked games with this look. I don't know why.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

You pretty much explained it already. They render and animate the objects as 3D models, then take key frames and export them out as 2D images that are converted into sprites. It's not unlike the old Mortal Kombat games, where they used footage of live actors to generate 2D characters in the game. In the old days, it was a means of getting something that looked like it was being rendered on a high-end computer to work on a lesser system, most famously seen in Donkey Kong Country.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

XoPachi, once you start noticing this technique you will see it in a vast number of 90s shmups. Some games, like Blazing Star, or pretty much anything by Cave thats not one of their early games, use 3d models to define the entire look of the game. After DKC came out it was almost hard to find a 2d shmup that didn't use it at all.
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

chempop wrote:I'm playing Arcade Original mostly, starting to get the hang of stage 3 but I haven't gotten to the boss with enough lives to start learning its patterns. I wish I knew how to trigger the 1UPs from midbosses.

I decided to give Novice Original a shot and squeeked out a 1CC on my first go, having never played stages 4+5 was crazy.
Wittischism wrote:I agree. Probably top three shmup on the switch for me already.
Just curious, what are your other favorites?
Sorry for the delayed response. The other two on Switch, just on amount of time played would be Ikaruga and Esp Ra De.
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

I'm realizing that Arrange is the intermediate difficulty between Novice and Arcade that World Ignition was always missing. (Or maybe that would be the original Crimzon Clover, but it's hard for me to go back to the low resolution.) Low rank appears to be Novice difficulty and you get two sources for extends, a shield, and homing options to help you focus on dodging. The downside being no type-Z, you're pretty weak if you die during a boss, and you can't always save break mode as a panic button.

It's probably closer to Novice than Arcade considering I made it to stage 5 on my second attempt with a gamepad, but it's better than nothing.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Knocked out the Arrange Original 1CC scoring 6.5T. Took maybe a half dozen attempts or so once I got the hang of the powerup bar system. So much fun! Arrange Boost I was able to manage a clear on my first go, played somewhat conservatively, also extremely fun, not sure which I prefer.

Arcade Original has been my main focus, progress isn't nearly as fast but with a few stage restarts I think I can almost manage getting to stage 5.

I tried out designing a different Blast City marquee. Unfortunately the printing store in town I've had these made at in the past has permenently closed this year, so I'll have to find another place that makes sign marquees.

"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

chempop wrote:Knocked out the Arrange Original 1CC scoring 6.5T. Took maybe a half dozen attempts or so once I got the hang of the powerup bar system. So much fun! Arrange Boost I was able to manage a clear on my first go, played somewhat conservatively, also extremely fun, not sure which I prefer.

Arcade Original has been my main focus, progress isn't nearly as fast but with a few stage restarts I think I can almost manage getting to stage 5.

I tried out designing a different Blast City marquee. Unfortunately the printing store in town I've had these made at in the past has permenently closed this year, so I'll have to find another place that makes sign marquees.

Congrats! I've hit the TLB a couple times now in Arrange Original, but keep coming up frustratingly short. So close.
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

I'm deeply amused by playing Arrange Boost without ever going into break mode.

I made it to EX BOSS 2 and I see there are a few other trolls on the leaderboards with me. I bet it's really confusing when someone goes to check the online ranking after a good run to stage 3 and sees some goofball just below him with the all clear. :D
chempop

Post by chempop »

Jonpachi wrote: Congrats! I've hit the TLB a couple times now in Arrange Original, but keep coming up frustratingly short. So close.
Thanks! I forgot to mention, a giant help was using the homing options with the more forward focussed lock on targetting, especially to take out bosses. Only that midboss fight in stage 5 where he's below you the entire time I felt the need to switch back to the 360 targetting, though now I'm wondering if you simply time that boss out opposed to damaging him, he doesn't even have a lifebar iirc.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
guigui

Post by guigui »

I agree that focused sight + search option is the best way to survive in Arrange Normal and Boost. Except for the return of the spider boss in stage 5 where 360 lock is mandatory, maybe also that rotating laser pattern in stage 3 boss.

Arrange Unlimited however is different, I do better with 360 lock + search there. You wanna destroy as many things as possible all around you with locks to get cancels. Also keep the lock button pushed when you want to concentrate firepower in front of you despite the search options.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Interesting. I felt like the Scope was putting me in more danger, as I felt more vulnerable in the swarms of little enemies you face in the later stages. Yet, clearly I'm missing a trick as my score entering the TLB was just over 3b, though I'm able to collect all but one of the 1-ups (can't seem to get the last one for small stars).
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

Wow, yeah, Arrange Unlimited is really fun. Like the other Arrange modes, I get enough extends to make it pretty far despite not being a great player. I almost made it to the EX boss on my first try.
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

I fucking love this game! Pc boufht years ago and switch bought now

Best switch arcade stick suggestions would be appreciated
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

Enemy wrote:I fucking love this game! Pc bought years ago and switch bought now

Best switch arcade stick suggestions would be appreciated
Sorry edited spelling mistake and 6 rums in hehehehe
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

HRAP V Hayabusa is a beast of a stick, and feels great even unmodded.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Questions for the experts :

* Boost mode : what makes the most of the score ? It looks like it is the time you can stay in Break mode, though I cannot understand how some people can stay more than 40 minutes in Break while the game only lasts for 30 minutes.

* All modes : how do you deal the fastest damage with the lock ? Wait for full lock and release, or just spam release ?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

guigui wrote:
seiatsu wrote: 1) what is the significance of the "Rate up speed" that appears directly above the break rate text at the start of the game?

2) in the stage detail widget, what is "Flush"?

3) this is more superficial but why don't we have the super plays that were contained in earlier releases (as dlc I believe) and are the planning on offering this. I guess I don't really need it with youtube and all but I do like watching super impressive runs

Also, I've watched some vids (mainly the stellar runs from icarus) and read up on scoring and while I guess I have the basic idea of it all and do ok in that regard, I can't seem to get my break rate as high as I'd like /expected so I'm assuming there is something I'm overlooking. I see scattered info on scoring here and around the internet but nothing comprehensive going into any detail on how to really push the scores / break rate way up. Does anyone know of any good resources in that regard? Given the age and praise of the game I'm kinda surprised at the lack of info. (I'm asking in regards to original mode atm)
I'm definitely interested in some answers for those questions too, especially the part about scoring/optimizing the break bar filling. Maybe asking Icarus directly ? This guy knows how to write a strategy guide ;)
To quickly answer these questions:

1. "Rate-Up Speed" affects the speed that the Break Rate Counter increases - this was an attempt to balance the scoring for the arcade/World Ignition version of the game from the original PC doujin version. In the original PC doujin version, Break Rate increase was linear and constant across all stages, which led to stages 3 and 5 being the highest scoring stages in the game, and stage 4 being worthless in comparison - "Rate Up Speed" tries to equalise the Break Rate increase on all stages per ship so that every stage has the same scoring potential.

2. "Flush", in the new UI widget, refers to points gained from wiping the screen of bullets through bombs, Break Mode activations, and killing specific enemies that trigger a screen clear.

3. Those superplays were DLC for World Ignition - they may appear with World Explosion, but don't count on it.

As for optimal scoring strats:

Arcade:
- Use maximum lockons as much as you can, or close to them, as it adds a decent amount to both Break Rate and Break Gauge - this is doubly important as lockon kills fills both bars, while Shot kills only fills one bar at a time, usually the top bar.
- Pointblank in Break Mode. A lot. Especially with a high multiplier.
- You can extend your multiplier timer greatly by screenwiping with Break Mode activations - the more bullets cancelled, the better.
- If possible, only activate Break Mode if you can go into Double Break quickly or better yet immediately, as a lot of scoring is tied to Double Break.
- Do. Not. Die.

Arrange:
- Maxing out the Rank Bar is paramount as it not only converts the bullet patterns from Novice to Arcade (ergo: more medals = more points, and faster Power Gauge increases), but doubles the value of your lockon multiplier to a potential maximum of 25.6x. The fastest way to max rank is to get a Shield.
- It's faster to go into Break Mode and then power up your Option and Lock-on through kills, pointblanking and large medal collection, than doing it outside of Break Mode. Also better for early-game scoring.
- Having Homing Options is scoring-critical, as they generate pointblank medals which can drive scoring and powering-up speeds greatly, along with speedkills to trigger extra formations in some stages eg stage3 after midboss, stage4 bombers.
- Do. Not. Die. Ever. (Having to re-powerup costs precious scoring time.)
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

I mentioned earlier I was experimenting in Arrange Boost by not going into break mode to keep the difficulty low. My best was reaching EX BOSS 2 with Type III. I played a normal run today and the result was almost equivalent: I cleared it without any lives left. You get an extra extend or two from the small medals due to the higher scoring in break mode, but of course the patterns are more difficult while you're in break. [EDIT] I forgot you also get bullet clears every time you fill the meter while you're in break, which often help.

Honestly it's probably too close to call and down to random luck at dodging. So I don't think there's any benefit to survival by playing one way or the other.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

There's a 13 Trillion run of Arrange Original on Youtube where the player only uses the default lock-on and never uses the Sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEgpHDMfZ24

It's not a perfect run by far, but does raise some interesting questions about how valuable Sight is.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

The hard to please Mark MSX gives this one the gold medal as best shmup on the Switch:

https://youtu.be/XhSoLgr-epI

chempop wrote:
Wittischism wrote:I agree. Probably top three shmup on the switch for me already.
Just curious, what are your other favorites?
You asked this a month ago and of someone else, but I'm feeling impulsive enough to put this in my Switch top 3 as well:

1. Gunbird 2
2. Esp.Ra.De Ψ
3. Crimson Clover World Explosion

One thing this game is lacking to put it over Esp.Ra.De for me is personality. Not identity, it does an absolutely great job of staking its place as a game. But I have no idea who's shooting who or why (or where) in this game. And the ship design is fine, but also not particularly memorable. The game would benefit from a bit more in the personality department in that regard.
Jonpachi wrote:HRAP V Hayabusa is a beast of a stick, and feels great even unmodded.
It's the best stick I've ever owned (which, admittedly, is not a huge number). More than any other game I have on the system, I feel like Crimson really shows off what it can do.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Thjodbjorn wrote:The Mayflash Magic NS is only $20 and works really well, if that makes a difference.

been thinking about getting this. Ive got a pretty good Hori PS4 stick that I wanna use on my Switch. Will the Magic NS do the trick? Also, Mayflash put out a newer one. the Magic S Pro. Is this more reliable than the Magic NS as far as you know? Ive heard people say the NS is pretty solid but havent heard much on the S Pro.