Please help! Looking for an old game

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Asgeir89

Please help! Looking for an old game

Post by Asgeir89 »

Hey guys, I'm new here, just joined the forum in search of an Old Shmup. Here is what I know:

Console: PC
Possible timeframe: 2000-2006 (I know that's huge, but I'm still working on it)
Source: I want to say it was a demo of some sort, I feel like it was on one of those you could get from staples that came with like 100 PC game demos. But it could have also come on a demo disc that came with an actual game that I bought like Age of Empires or something.
Type: I honestly can't remember wether it was vertical or horizontal, I'm leaning more toward vertical.
Graphics: Pretty sure these were 2D but not super old school, I want to say it had side borders with info displayed there, on the left were different orbs that showed the weapons you could use or something like that.
Sound: This is what really sticks out, I can almost hear the music now. The music and sound FX were not like from an arcade or retro console, they were more up to date and very well done.
Gameplay: I'm pretty sure that you could get upgrades between levels. from what I remember you fought aliens, or some sort of hybrid of ships infected with aliens. There was a lot of purple and red. I wanna say that they shot out big orbs that spun or something like that. I remember there being bosses as well.

I've searched multiple databases and watched hours of youtube videos, now I'm coming to you guys to see if anyone else played the game and remembers it. I remember playing other games like worms, serious sam, warcraft 2 and several others.

I'll be very responsive here as I'm stuck home with Covid and on the search

closest art style I can find is a much more recent game called Axiom Verge which is a metriodvania type game but here is the art style that I kinda remember my mystery game looking like:

Last edited by Asgeir89 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Please help! Looking for an old game

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Do you remember if it was on Windows? Or possibly old enough to be MS-DOS / Win95 era?

Do you remember any specifics about how the player ship looked, or what weapons were fired?
Asgeir89

Post by Asgeir89 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Do you remember if it was on Windows? Or possibly old enough to be MS-DOS / Win95 era?
Do you remember any specifics about how the player ship looked, or what weapons were fired?
It was definitely a windows OS. Possible options are 95, 98, 2000, ME, and XP.

Unfortunately I don't remember the second answer. All I can remember was the giant red and or purple orbs that the enemies fired at you.
Asgeir89

Post by Asgeir89 »

Irem had a game released in 1989 called X-Multiply, the first stage has a song called "Into the Human body". I'm pretty sure that the game I'm thinking of, used the first portion of that song for their soundtrack, which has obviously been majorly upgraded. The song bit is from 0:00-0:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMcYUB5Euyk
versionfiv

Post by versionfiv »

yes, I remember this shooter as well and have been looking for it ever since as well. it exists. windows 95-98. :)

there are so many.

yours could be Raptor Call of the Shadows, or DemonStar. it's not mine though. mine had much more primitive graphics.
try Drone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7NLd6fT724 maybe it's that one. i've been finding these by searching for windows 95 shareware vertical scrolling shooter , try something similar.
Asgeir89

Post by Asgeir89 »

versionfiv wrote:yes, I remember this shooter as well and have been looking for it ever since as well. it exists. windows 95-98. :)
there are so many.
yours could be Raptor Call of the Shadows, or DemonStar. it's not mine though. mine had much more primitive graphics.
try Drone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7NLd6fT724 maybe it's that one. i've been finding these by searching for windows 95 shareware vertical scrolling shooter , try something similar.
I looked all of those up and their graphics are all too primitive.
The graphics weren't 3d like Gradius 5 though.
I want to say it took place entirely in space, I don't remember there being planets or anything like that.
I'm trying to find other games that had a similar art style, will post when I find them.

Thanks for trying though
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

This might be a bit older than you've suggested but is it Xenon or Xenon 2?

Very memorable music, lots of (greyish) purple and red in the colour palette, upgrades shop in between levels. Seems like a good fit.
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

I want to say it had side borders with info displayed there, on the left were different orbs that showed the weapons you could use or something like that.
This seems an important clue: side borders imply a vertical shooter in a landscape window or more likely fullscreen, and "different orbs" should be relatively rare. For example, it's definitely not Tyrian because it has horizontal gauges with colorful bars, not orbs. What games had orbs?
Asgeir89

Post by Asgeir89 »

PAPER/ARTILLERY wrote:This might be a bit older than you've suggested but is it Xenon or Xenon 2?
Very memorable music, lots of (greyish) purple and red in the colour palette, upgrades shop in between levels. Seems like a good fit.
Okay, so I see what you mean about memorable music, but the music in my game was much more atmospheric, a lot of synth. No guitars, or people talking, no hip-hop or rock music. In fact, I'm pretty sure the soundtrack for the game sounded almost exactly like this but a more updated darker version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMcYUB5Euyk

As far as the graphics, my game is definitely newer than that, no later than 2008 though because thats when I graduated highschool.
I feel like the title screen was very close to something like this, with lots of "Orb" buttons on the menu etc.
The color palette is close though.

Another thing, the gameplay was a little more complicated than this. In Xenon the enemies come down in patterns like the very old arcade Shmups, i'm fairly certain that this game was way more random and that enemy movement seemed more natural.

Keep the suggestions coming though!
Last edited by Asgeir89 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asgeir89

Post by Asgeir89 »

Ixmucane2 wrote:
I want to say it had side borders with info displayed there, on the left were different orbs that showed the weapons you could use or something like that.
This seems an important clue: side borders imply a vertical shooter in a landscape window or more likely fullscreen, and "different orbs" should be relatively rare. For example, it's definitely not Tyrian because it has horizontal gauges with colorful bars, not orbs. What games had orbs?
I could very well be wrong about the Verticle aspect, but if memory serves correct, there were definitely borders. And I've looked at Tyrian, game looks pretty neat in terms of features, but that's not it either.
Blinge

Re: Tracking down an ol' game

Post by Blinge »

So I was chatting to my dad the other day. He mentioned playing Space Invaders and something else back in '81 at some pub.

The other game he described as a fighter-plane game, in which the view was behind the plane.
Now, the closest thing to my mind was Afterburner, but that's 1987.

So, some sort of fighter pilot/ dogfighting game from 81 or earlier? My knowledge of this period is practically 0. I thought Defender but that doesn't really fit the description.
Anyone have any ideas?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It's a little later than that, but maybe Gyruss?
heatimusZ4

Post by heatimusZ4 »

Sir, it's amazing how you gave so many informations YET you didn't gave any single hint about the developers who worked on it, because if you gave an info about the devs, someone in here will probably gave the name of the shooter game you looking for in less than 10 or 15min so for your next message, try giving a hint about the developers/company name, even what's the logo look like or even the first thing you see when you launch the game, It may helps.

Notherelse, let me recape all the info so far:
-It's a shooter game, alien inspired one (has aliens on it)
-it's from the millennium of early 2000s (taking by your words, between 2000 and 2006)
-Debuted on Windows PC
-has borders, i'm guessing..?
-unknown of it's type and/or the team who worked on it.

Theeeeeen i'll place my bets on these three games:
-Warblade
-Jets n' Guns
-Star blaze

Looking forward for any news in this thread..~
Lordin' with the L.B !
----
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Make sure you specify who you're talking to. Looks like you're talking to the OP here.

As for my brief mystery, it's already over.

Showed Gryuss to the ole man, nope not that. He said he doesn't remember the enemies spinning. It made me think " oh It's probably Galaxian. "

Showed him some gameplay and yeah. It was Galaxian. :mrgreen:
His original description totally threw me off.

Cheers BM
heatimusZ4

Post by heatimusZ4 »

Blinge wrote:Make sure you specify who you're talking to. Looks like you're talking to the OP here.
Yes, that's why I came into here in the first place.
But I get what you mean, I don't use the quote button a lot since the OP said he'll be responsive to replying in here so.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lordin' with the L.B !
----
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Blinge wrote:His original description totally threw me off.
I've noticed most people when they haven't played a game in decades badly remember what they did play. Also, games back in the day felt larger than life compared to now. They all looked, sounded, and played better than they actually do, because we didn't have anything modern to compare it to.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yeah I know what you mean. I coined a saying for it actually, " Memory is the best upscaler. "