Unpopular opinion / Hot take thread - get it off your chest!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
copy-paster

Re: Unpopular opinion / Hot take thread - get it off your ch

Post by copy-paster »

This twisted discussion needs to be reset.

On-topic: Yeah FUCK enemies appearing from behind, especially in vertical shmups.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I dig life bars when implemented like in Strania.

Also no one can fucking touch G. Rev for explosions. If you disagree you're wrong.

:D
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Akagi wrote: I came here originally to post scores, then I looked at this thread and saw people shitting on gus' discord and making baseless accusations about it. As someone that posts there and has got a lot of use out of it, I thought I'd give my perspective. Again, I don't care about your slophouse, you can keep it. I don't check that forum, but it's good to have a place without that kind of stuff.
Akagi wrote: You act like I called you some kind of slur. You're just a good example of what i'm talking about and I'd heard a lot about how you only post in off topic. No need to get so upset. Embrace it.
Sooo.....you just joined two months ago, only made a single post before this discussion, but you are well acquainted with individual members here and their posting patterns which you "heard a lot about." Which jumps out to me as a little weird, since I joined at about the same time you did, have 100x more posts, yet do not feel that familiar with this place.

And your entire thrust here has been defending a banned member, described by others as needlessly aggressive, as "nice and not that bad"...in a needlessly aggressive manner.

While also just happening to have on hand a detailed, hyper-obscure meme definition that you know was 'rapidly deleted' from Urban Dictionary, written by said banned member.

And aggressively and repeatedly pushing said weird meme yourself. Which is interesting, because in your first post in this thread you said...
Akagi wrote: Real talk, Ricardo is really not that bad at all... The worst thing he does is call people jarpigs and can be a little aggressive
I can see why you two would bond.
Akagi wrote:Most of the complaints about him are just that he's a bit abrasive, and to that I say: Stop being a baby, it's just some guy posting on the internet. It's insane that he's banned every where for just "muh tone" type stuff. His main thing is he just wants a place for shmup only discussion without off topic.
Bond so much that you have access to his internal monologue.
Akagi wrote:I don't have any thing against anyone in this community and am not trying to make enemies
Akagi wrote:You're a well known jarpig who spends most of his time posting in off topic and doesn't care about shmups so it doesn't surprise me you feel threatened by Plasmo's suggestion.
And this type of dissociative aggressive behaviour definitely doesn't seem like someone who would get themselves banned all over the place while thinking they're being victimized.
Akagi wrote:I met him for myself and was shocked at how mild he was
I'm not a super-detective like Batman or anything, so it's not incredibly obvious to me that you are totally 100% this same guy you're defending, using an alt account.
Akagi

Post by Akagi »

It's pretty simple, I spent a long time lurking here and on the discords, which have a lot of the same guys. I'm not ricardo, mods can check the IPs, I live in a different country entirely. Nice baseleless accusation though. "Durr you agree, so you're the same guy!" Genius.

I'm my own person, some of these guys know me. Shitting on someone for their registration date and number of posts is a textbook definition of elitism btw. And accusing me of being him is just lazy.
Last edited by Akagi on Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Akagi wrote:Jarpigs love to embed themselves in communities that are not focused on them and demand to have a "slophouse" for themselves where they can wallow in the slop without feeling "pressured" into participating in the subject the place is dedicated to.
Can't imagine how awful it'd be if a bunch of bad faith actors showed up and started complaining about how things worked here.
Akagi

Post by Akagi »

Vanguard wrote:
Akagi wrote:Jarpigs love to embed themselves in communities that are not focused on them and demand to have a "slophouse" for themselves where they can wallow in the slop without feeling "pressured" into participating in the subject the place is dedicated to.
Can't imagine how awful it'd be if a bunch of bad faith actors showed up and started complaining about how things worked here.
Not sure how many times I have to say I don't care about your slophouse here. Just explaining the reason the guscord exists. Work on your reading comprehension
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Does 330+ pages of discussing single credit arcade styled 2d action games count as a "slophouse"?

If not then I'd say you're probably misapplying your own little term.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Ban time?
Lags

Post by Lags »

wtf I love BIL now!
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Imagine taking BIL's shitpost seriously.
Akagi

Post by Akagi »

Gus wrote:Even as it relates to the question of whether or not we should bend over backwards for non-playing non-spectating secondaries, my answer to that isn't a black-and-white "no," but more "it depends." I think that people should have every right to a space that suits their needs and I don't want to talk that from them. If people want to talk jarpigs with their e-friends then they should have every right to do that. But I also think if people want a space to talk shmups with minimal noise that they should have the right to that as well. That's really all I'm saying. There are options besides simply sticking around a place that's full of secondary spam and that anyone has the power to make a space that fits their needs.
This sums up my whole point. It's good to have a place with minimal noise and spam.
copy-paster wrote:Ban time?
This is exactly what I said would happen. When the slophouse is threatened, the jarpigs call for bans. You can keep your slophouse, son. I'm just explaining the merits of a slop-free environment and why it has a right to exist.
Squire Grooktook

Akagi wrote:This sums up my whole point. It's good to have a place with minimal noise and spam.
Sumez wrote:Dude, I haven't said a thing about Gus' discord. Outside of my general issues with Discord as a platform, I think it's good that it exists.
At this point Akagi, you're pretty much just ignoring everyone while talking shit.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I do miss a lot of the quality STG topics that used to be on this forum years ago, but if having that comes with an army of immature kids who will loudly patronize people for taking interest in other things, it's definitely better to keep that elsewhere.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I said "Ban time?" cause you just calling out people (and me right now) with these weird cuss term out of nowhere, and you still trying to derail this useless discussion even though system11 has answer partially of Plasmo's question.
Akagi

Post by Akagi »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Akagi wrote:This sums up my whole point. It's good to have a place with minimal noise and spam.
Sumez wrote:Dude, I haven't said a thing about Gus' discord. Outside of my general issues with Discord as a platform, I think it's good that it exists.
At this point Akagi, you're pretty much just ignoring everyone while talking shit.[/quote]
That's fine if he thinks that, we agree there. I didn't ignore it, we agree though, nothing to dispute there. I did ignore your cherry picking. I don't care what goes on in the off topic section, shmups are what interests me here and other shmup communities.
copy-paster wrote:I said "Ban time?" cause you just calling out people (and me right now) with these weird cuss term out of nowhere, and you still trying to derail this useless discussion even though system11 has answer partially of Plasmo's question.
There is no "cuss term." I even posted the definition of the word. It isn't hate speech. Jesus christ.
Squire Grooktook

Akagi wrote:I did ignore your cherry picking. I don't care what goes on in the off topic section, shmups are what interests me here and other shmup communities.
I don't think it's cherry picking if you're specifically accusing people of being rpg fanatics, let alone jrpg fanatics. The whole cringy Ricardo definition you posted was talking about it as if rpg's or jrpg fans in particular are some sort of insidious lurking threat trying to destabilize communities via subterfuge. Doesn't seem to have as much force when were talking about genres closely related to shmups in almost every way, some of which qualify as sub-genres (ie run and gun games).

Personally, as I mentioned a few pages ago, I think the analysis is all wrong. It's not that "casuals" are demanding a "slophouse", it's that generally speaking when you have a hardcore niche forum for long enough, off-topic inevitably becomes more active as long time veterans slowly run out of things to talk about or their time and schedules change leading to them no longer focusing on the hobby as intensely. Whether its shmups or your favorite space opera or model trains or whatever the fuck, there's only so many years you can discuss them feverishly every day until you run out of things to talk about, and then you're just left with the dudes you made friends with shit-talking in general. It doesn't mean this old guard weren't fans, or still aren't fans, which is what your whole "jarpig" definition seems to be implying.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Akagi

Post by Akagi »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Akagi wrote:I did ignore your cherry picking. I don't care what goes on in the off topic section, shmups are what interests me here and other shmup communities.
I don't think it's cherry picking if you're specifically accusing people of being rpg fanatics, let alone jrpg fanatics. The whole cringy Ricardo definition you posted was talking about it as if rpg's or jrpg fans in particular are some sort of insidious lurking threat trying to destabilize communities via subterfuge. Doesn't seem to have as much force when were talking about genres closely related to shmups in almost every way, some of which qualify as sub-genres (ie run and gun games).

Personally, as I mentioned a few pages ago, I think the analysis is all wrong. It's not that "casuals" are demanding a "slophouse", it's that generally speaking when you have a hardcore niche forum for long enough, off-topic inevitably becomes more active as long time veterans slowly run out of things to talk about or their time and schedules change leading to them no longer focusing on the hobby as intensely. Whether its shmups or your favorite space opera or model trains or whatever the fuck, there's only so many years you can discuss them feverishly every day until you run out of things to talk about, and then you're just left with the dudes you made friends with shit-talking in general. It doesn't mean this old guard weren't fans, or still aren't fans, which is what your whole "jarpig" definition seems to be implying.
To me, any non-shmup might as well be a jarpig in the context of this forum and other shmup discussion places. Off topic is the slophouse. I don't care what happens in your specific slophouse, you can keep it for all I care. Once again, just happy a place without that stuff exists. It's insane how defensive people are about an off topic forum. No wonder this place as seen as mostly focused on off topic and a shmup forum in name only.
Squire Grooktook

Did you read the second paragraph though. I'm not being defensive about off-topic, I know it's going no place and I have no need to argue for it, I'm just objecting to your stupid forced meme term because it's not true and I call 'em as I see 'em.

I don't think it is a "slophouse". The whole forced meme - as you define it - seems to me like it's trying to imply that people aren't really fans. They're just...inserting themself into one hobby community in order...talk about another hobby for...some reason?

Anyway, I don't think that's the case. I think - like I said - you just have long time fans and veterans who've either moved on in life or just don't have much more to say that they haven't already said in 5000+ posts.

So no, I don't think it's a "slophouse", nor are the majority "jarpigs". I completely see why people are finding that line elitist and douchbaggy as fuck, since you're basically telling them "you're not a REAL enough fan!!". It'd come off that way even if you weren't being super pushy and aggressive about it for no reason.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

oh my god, this conversation is so embarrassing. i can't imagine something less important to the growth of any genre, let alone shmups, than creating an entire conspiracy theory about "the JRPG-playing scourge". i don't even really know where this is coming from. i haven't seen JRPG discussion on neither this forum nor any of the shmup discords i hang out in in Literally Months. if this was an FGC forum this "fake fan jarpig" conspiracy would have resulted in at least six wedgies and a dragging on social media by now

come on man, if you "don't care" then just drop it and move on. don't reply to any more posts in the thread. i promise you're not making a better argument for yourself by doubling down and being super aggro about something as minuscule and unimportant as people daring to have Other Interests. be your own man. enjoy the things you do and ignore the things you don't. it's not going to hurt you if someone talks about something that's not shmups sometimes.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Hey everyone,

Is this discussion continuing to be fruitful or has everyone said their piece?

Thanks,
F
Squire Grooktook

Depends on Atagaki's next post, I'm personally thinking there's a good chance he'll just deflect everything that was just said as "people getting defensive about off-topic" and in classical circular reasoning, use that as proof that everyone is a "jarpig" (the very thing that was actually under dispute).

>Basically call people fake fans
>People take issue with being called a fake fan, because that implies being a liar - which is bad - as well as implying they don't care about a thing that they do in fact care about
>"WHA, LOOK AT HOW DEFENSIVE YOU ARE ABOUT OFF TOPIC BEING REMOVED, THIS IS PROOF YOUR A FAKE FAN"
>People dispute being a fake fan
>"SEE!? SEE HOW DEFENSIVE YOU ARE!? THIS PROOOOOOOOVES YOU'RE A FAKE FAN!!"

Repeat ad infinitium

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

I agree with you and copy-paster so the user under the name Akagi has been banned in accordance with forum rules: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=779
"No personal attacks, threats or harassment of any kind."
Squire Grooktook wrote:Depends on Atagaki's next post, I'm personally thinking there's a good chance he'll just deflect everything that was just said as "people getting defensive about off-topic" and in classical circular reasoning, use that as proof that everyone is a "jarpig" (the very thing that was actually under dispute).

>Basically call people fake fans
>People take issue with being called a fake fan, because that implies being a liar - which is bad - as well as implying they don't care about a thing that they do in fact care about
>"WHA, LOOK AT HOW DEFENSIVE YOU ARE ABOUT OFF TOPIC BEING REMOVED, THIS IS PROOF YOUR A FAKE FAN"
>People dispute being a fake fan
>"SEE!? SEE HOW DEFENSIVE YOU ARE!? THIS PROOOOOOOOVES YOU'RE A FAKE FAN!!"

Repeat ad infinitium
Squire Grooktook

Not sure that's a good idea since I feel like banning him is just giving him or his friends ammo for their next alt account, and personally doubt he'll post anywhere other than threads like this, but whatever. Not worth losing sleep over these people.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Lol yes. It's pretty obvious he was fishing for a ban.
It's too bad, I'm sure if he was never banned he would have enriched here and many other places with fruitful shoot'em up discussions free from the woes of other things existing.
Squire Grooktook

By his own statement, he only came here to lurk and post scores, which makes his whole jarpig rant about not contributing to the main chat seem somewhat hypocritical.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Great examples here why I skip just about every post by users with a moeshit avatar. :lol:
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

chempop wrote:Great examples here why I skip just about every post by users with a moeshit avatar. :lol:
first post in this thread. just wanna say: fukkin' based

also:
based Plasmo getting the ball rolling by starting the fire. The take that was, in fact, too hot.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

chempop wrote:Great examples here why I skip just about every post by users with a moeshit avatar. :lol:
Why you gotta do this to me chempop :cry:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

I think it takes more than just animu to qualify an avatar as moeshit. Eh?
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I'm not sure what's worse - having your enjoyment of a genre linked to the degree at which others enjoy and participate in it, or thinking it's okay for stuff to kill you unannounced from behind like a coward :D
floralcateyes wrote:Warm take: I enjoy dealing with enemies that enter from the bottom of the screen, even in games where a collision with an enemy sprite means death. Probably kill you once or twice, but you'll remember after a few encounters anyway.
No seriously, I'd honestly like to know how this is enjoyable! It's one thing that puts me off spending more time with Truxton. The odd occasion to ward you off being at the bottom of the screen (Flying Shark, Fire Shark) is kind of fair game - but if I want to deal with that level of memorise or die on a regular basis, I'll play something like R-Type when I'm feeling calm enough :D