SGDQ20 Schedule is Live, Ft. Touhou, Ketsui, DDP Saidaioujou

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
NormalFish

SGDQ20 Schedule is Live, Ft. Touhou, Ketsui, DDP Saidaioujou

Post by NormalFish »

Summer Games Done Quick schedule is up: https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Glad to see more shmup representation after the fantastic Mushihime run last AGDQ. Event starts Aug. 16th, will be fully online this year for obvious reasons.
EmperorIng

Re: SGDQ20 Schedule is Live, Ft. Touhou, Ketsui, DDP Saidaio

Post by EmperorIng »

To think, if we weren't all forced to stay in our homes, we probably wouldn't have any shmups. Still, it's going to be nice to see (or at least catch the replay, rip my timezone) some high-level shootemup play at a big even, especially since shmups are sandwiched between Final Fantasy VII and Super Metroid, both of which are guaranteed to draw in viewers.

I too like the idea of having a large audience for high-level shmup skill play, as a course corrective for QUARTERMUNCHER grumblings from your stock Trouserplanks, and esteemed members of the gaming press.

I hope you Euros tune in, for our sake!
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

This is really cool. I think I will watch it.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

HY-HY-HY-HY-HY-HY-HY-HY-HY-HYPAH SYSTEM - READY.
chempop

Post by chempop »

I tuned in for most of ketsui and sdoj, great stuff guys!
As always, Softdrink brought the commentary to levels as impressive as the gameplay.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

will have to catch the vod for the earlier runs, but SDOJ was great to watch as usual.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Woke up hung over just in time to watch SDOJ. Can't wait for the VODs for Ketsui and StB to come up - they're said to be just as good.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Anyone itching to watch the vods, they restarted the stream right before StB so it's easy to find: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/718011418
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Any Legit Ketsui Player Would Recognise This

:lol: :lol:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Watched these. Still not a Tohou fan, but the Cave games were cool runs. Shame about the poor quality SDOJ feed, and that once again they force a 2nd commentator on us who is a distraction at best.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

i think everyone did a great job! awesome runs with awesome commentary. i was also pretty happy to see two commentators, even if Softdrink ended up doing 70% of it -- Softdrink does a great job with informative commentary, with RefKey and KZ playing a strong "sports commentator" role, highlighting when something awesome/hype happens in the run during the infodump. and of course, all the moments when both commentators during both Cave runs were flabbergasted by some of the amazing moves that mog and kayar were pulling off. it's great to see more shmup exposure all around!
Glick

Post by Glick »

Blinge wrote:Image

Any Legit Ketsui Player Would Recognise This

:lol: :lol:
I lol'd

Overall though, I thought this was pretty awesome. Shmups will never be ultra-mainstream, but it's nice to see new blood now and then.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Baffling to me as always to hear a speed running event feature games that are utterly unfriendly to playing fast instead of shooters where speed is a central mechanic like Kingdom Grandprix, Cosmic Cop, and MECHA Ritz.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

No one has considered that before
sven666

Post by sven666 »

watched the runs, real shame about the bitrate of the DDP run but mega kudos to all involved, just stellar work and great ambassadorship for the community! I tip my hat to all of you! :)

2alling ketsui on 1 try live infront of one of the biggest audiences on earth is nothing to sneeze at!
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
DMC

Post by DMC »

MathU wrote:Baffling to me as always to hear a speed running event feature games that are utterly unfriendly to playing fast instead of shooters where speed is a central mechanic like Kingdom Grandprix, Cosmic Cop, and MECHA Ritz.
High scoring in Kingdom Grandprix is at times the opposite of speed running. Project AKO finishes last in virtually every race on the second loop. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/182572650

And it is not so baffling really. Likely CAVE games have higher chances of attracting new fans than Cosmic Cop. And how many active and extremely skilled people are playing a game like Cosmic Cop? Right now, the only one with a score here is Perikles, although it would be fun to see him at SGDQ. viewtopic.php?t=59563
MathU

Post by MathU »

Yes I'm well-acquainted with Kingdom Grandprix's disappointingly-broken scoring system, but of course you can play it for speed rather than score. And I'm pretty good at Cosmic Cop myself. :wink:
I wish there were more speed/racing-focused shooters.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

DMC wrote: And it is not so baffling really. Likely CAVE games have higher chances of attracting new fans than Cosmic Cop.
Perhaps in that example (Gallop is pretty cool though), but I've always been skeptical of the hyper focus on pushing Cave as the games that will 'attract new fans' as I feel like we've been using that line for over a decade now and (it seems) most newer shmup fans come in from either Touhou or the odd indie-game.

Kingdom Grandprix would be a great game to show off though: colorful, wacky bosses, nice art etc. Fantasy Zone is definitely a speed-run game (or Black Bird), but you'd have to cap the looping (I actually don't know if it loops infinitely or not).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Problem with Fantasy Zone is that speedrunning it also makes it much easier. :\ It's not really an interesting speedrun showcase at all.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

EmperorIng wrote:
DMC wrote: And it is not so baffling really. Likely CAVE games have higher chances of attracting new fans than Cosmic Cop.
Perhaps in that example (Gallop is pretty cool though), but I've always been skeptical of the hyper focus on pushing Cave as the games that will 'attract new fans' as I feel like we've been using that line for over a decade now and (it seems) most newer shmup fans come in from either Touhou or the odd indie-game.

Don't underestimate the power of Cave :wink:

When the first final gen Cave shooters started to pop out, they trully felt like the next-gen of shmups. Gorgeous, brutal, simple to pick up, yet deliciously complex.

The wow factor was, and still is, through the roof for a new comer. The first level of Mushihime-sama in Ultra, will forever make jaws drop.