Andro Dunos 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
trap15

Re: Andro Dunos 2

Post by trap15 »

baby want game now, baby no want wait
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
KAI

Post by KAI »

New trailer and 3DS/DC/switch/ps4/Xbone versions confirmed

trailer
https://www.pixelheart.eu/?s=andro+duno ... pe=product

rip this game having a good soundtrack.
Last edited by KAI on Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

how in the fuck am I only just hearing about this

They literally got the fucking Infinos guy to do what is basically Infinos 4, except it's also Andro Dunos 2. He probably almost immediately agreed, and is probably wondering how in the hell they got the rights.

just fucking look at it

I can't take this thread, god damn it. Comparing Andro Dunos to Amiga games? Mentioning it in the same breath as Captain Tomaday with any context beyond shared company? Nah, fuck that. The Neo Geo doesn't have a lot of shmups, but you better fucking believe Andro Dunos is near the top, not the bottom. It's better than Last Resort, for fuck's sake.

Here's the thing about this game. You've got the Neo Geo cult who barely has any idea what the game actually is, but will worship it because it's a Neo Geo game. You've got the idiots who make terrible comparisons to Gradius or whatever because they literally do not play anything in this genre for more than a few minutes in their entire lives. Then you've got the shmups communities, who should know better and who should immediately see the game for what it is (a pretty good game), but just... don't, for some reason. That's why I get angry about this game: seeing all these awful groups who have entirely too much power over games that deserve substantially better is frustrating and infuriating.

So what the fuck is Andro Dunos? A hypercharged horizontal with a ridiculous amount of weapons and a shocking amount of rank. It possesses an energy that few early '90s games match without seriously fucking something up somewhere. It is, without a doubt, one of the better pre-Donpachi titles, and something I'd easily rate over all sorts of so-called "classics". It's better than Raiden, but most things are. It's better than those certain silly Toaplan games like Dogyuun, Batsugun, etc. It's very obviously better than player-hating shit like Dragon Spirit and Dragon Saber. I'm also pretty sure that even people who claim to hate it will at least give it a more serious attempt than something like Varth with its hour-long runs.

It's a good game, damn it. You don't need to have had it as a kid to understand that. There's no nostalgia, no forced memes, none of that bullshit: Andro Dunos is a good game.

To all these people going on about how it's "more like Infinos Gaiden, thus it's good", stop. Go play Infinos Gaiden more. Go play all those late '80s and early '90s horizontals more, including Andro Dunos itself. Then you will understand.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
KAI

Post by KAI »

should we add pixel heart to the list of blacklisted players?
Spoiler
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
BIL

Post by BIL »

Picorrine Soft confirmed, then? That's a fuckin day one for me Image
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

thread successfully despatched
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

I knew that after the crime of not being able to play Thunderforce 3 on my Euro 3DS, someday a miracle would happen...This is it :D Preordered!
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Another pre-order from me (PS4 version). Some retro goodness here that looks right up my street. I suspect the 20,000 PS4 physical copies there is for sale (standard edition) is a tad ambitious considering it is rather niche, but best of luck to them.

We seem to be getting a bit of a shmup renaissance lately, aren't we?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Doing my duty and pre-ordering, but the video posted on youtube that was linked above is clearly a non-functional dev build. You can see the ship pass through enemies and bullets at various points, so it's still in a very early stage. I remain cautiously optimistic.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Gonna take a guess that the 3DS version won't have any stereoscopic 3D effects going on. I don't see anything in the description about it.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Release date pushed back to September 1st. I knew that video looked way too early in production to be shipping in two months.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

It's crazy how some indie games inspired by classic titles will be in development for years whereas many excellent shmups from back in the day were developed in extremely short time spans. Under a year and some times as little as six months.

Japanese devs at that time must have just constantly been working under conditions that would be considered "crunch time" today, sacrificing their health and sanity in order to make games that quickly.

I guess this is just a cultural thing as well. I visited Japan in the 90s and when asked by some older businessmen how many hours I worked, I said 40. I was a teenager, under 18, but I had fudged my age on an application in order to work at a factory over the summer, four shifts of ten hours a week. When I said 40 they all had a good laugh at my expense.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Rastan78 wrote:It's crazy how some indie games inspired by classic titles will be in development for years whereas many excellent shmups from back in the day were developed in extremely short time spans. Under a year and some times as little as six months.

Japanese devs at that time must have just constantly been working under conditions that would be considered "crunch time" today, sacrificing their health and sanity in order to make games that quickly.

I guess this is just a cultural thing as well. I visited Japan in the 90s and when asked by some older businessmen how many hours I worked, I said 40. I was a teenager, under 18, but I had fudged my age on an application in order to work at a factory over the summer, four shifts of ten hours a week. When I said 40 they all had a good laugh at my expense.
All this is very true. The crunch these shmup devs had in the 80s and 90s is like peak bullshit Japanese work ethic examples, with a team of like 10 people pumping out a full game every 6-8 months for years.

I'm really tempted to pick up a copy of Andro Dunos 2, but at the same time, then it presents the questions of what fucking platform, which version, and do I even want a physical copy at all? I've gone almost entirely digital on shmups unless they have a really good physical collector's edition, and these high-conversion Euro prices don't help, either. I want to support it, but there's a lot of things to consider. Also, is it actually going to come out in September or will it be delayed til 2022? Who knows.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

All this is very true. The crunch these shmup devs had in the 80s and 90s is like peak bullshit Japanese work ethic examples, with a team of like 10 people pumping out a full game every 6-8 months for years.
Reading interviews about Japanese game development it seems like you always come across stories of devs sleeping under their desks, not going home to shower for long periods, or subsisting only on quick junk food and cigarettes. Hard to say how much of that came from pressure from higher ups, their own passion and competitive drive to make the best game possible, and cultural norms. Probably some combination of the above.
MachineAres 1CC

Rastan78 wrote:Reading interviews about Japanese game development it seems like you always come across stories of devs sleeping under their desks, not going home to shower for long periods, or subsisting only on quick junk food and cigarettes. Hard to say how much of that came from pressure from higher ups, their own passion and competitive drive to make the best game possible, and cultural norms. Probably some combination of the above.
Absolutely a combination of the two, based on some interviews I've seen as well. Even many indie devs who weren't actually getting paid to develop games would slave away for 8-10 hours a day or more on top of normal day jobs to get a game done, but having higher-ups breathing down your neck about it would surely make it worse. There's a certain point where I think workers will begin to lose sight of how much of it is truly their passion and how much of it is driven by the fear of the workplace pressure, but I guess many of them still may not even be able to make that distinction, even if you ask them now. Like you said, it's pretty much still just the accepted "fact of life" in their culture that work environments are this way. I think it's starting to change, very slowly, but it's still a solid part of their societal structure there, and causes all kinds of problems like hikkikomori, homeless, people living with parents into their 60s, discrimination, and all kinds of other mess.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah most of the time when I've read these stories the devs seem to recall how tough it was, but also just kind of shrug it off like that's just the way it is. 6 to 8 months is especially fast when you consider they were working with much more cumbersome tools and development methods.

While it's nice that we have so many games from that era by devs that could really crank out masterpieces at an insane rate like Compile and others, I'm happy to wait longer for games. Devs should work at their own pace and release things when they are well polished.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Jonpachi wrote:...the video posted on youtube that was linked above is clearly a non-functional dev build. You can see the ship pass through enemies and bullets at various points, so it's still in a very early stage. I remain cautiously optimistic.
Nah, more like, the hitbox of the player's ship has been disabled, everything else on screen seems to have functional hitboxes. Even the ship's shields/options absorb bullets on hit.
I guess the guy playing on that trailer was a turbo scrub and they needed invencibility to get decent footage.
MachineAres 1CC

Rastan78 wrote:Yeah most of the time when I've read these stories the devs seem to recall how tough it was, but also just kind of shrug it off like that's just the way it is. 6 to 8 months is especially fast when you consider they were working with much more cumbersome tools and development methods.

While it's nice that we have so many games from that era by devs that could really crank out masterpieces at an insane rate like Compile and others, I'm happy to wait longer for games. Devs should work at their own pace and release things when they are well polished.
And actually, now that I think about it, Qute has recently said in some interviews that they only work at their own pace now to make sure the workers aren't burned out, even if it means game delays, and we know it's actually true since Natsuki Chronicle got delayed for like 4 years :lol:
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I guess that's the trade off. 4 years does seem like a long time for a shmup. If a dev in the late 80s took that long, they would miss an entire console generation. Or miss the entire peak of the genre's popularity in arcades prior to the takeover of fighting games.

How long has Hiroshi Iuchi been working on his next game? I guess there's the whole concept that a work of art is never finished, only abandoned. So without the imposition of some sort of deadline or pressure to release something, a dev could tinker with a game practically forever.
endali

Post by endali »

Hi guys i bought infinos gaiden because of this thread. This shit is real good.
heli

Post by heli »

You can pre-order this game for PS4.
I used the coupon-code : newpixel
https://www.pixelheart.eu
Special World

Post by Special World »

Idk anything about Andro Dunos or Infinos Gaiden. Would love to hear more about them. The trailer video didn’t do a ton for me, but i also feel like... they’re putting a ton of weight behind this for this to just be some crap game? I mean, aside from the invincibility in the video, it looks like a solid game. Pretty speedy, too. Kinda uncertain about it in 100 ways but yeah, looks solid.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
heli

Post by heli »

I played the original for neo geo.
Only the graphics in this second version are still crap.
I dont see a reason not to buy it : its not a fantasy theme with magic and wizards, i only buy airplane/robot.

You all like : its not cave style enough.
It will be better then sine mora ex, so i,m in.
MachineAres 1CC

heli wrote:You can pre-order this game for PS4.
I used the coupon-code : newpixel
https://www.pixelheart.eu
Thanks, that code helped take a little edge off the price, so I picked up Andro Dunos and AD2 for Dreamcast, since they'll be available digitally on every other platform. Who knows when they'll actually ship!
heli

Post by heli »

I think in september i readed somewhere.
StudioMudprints

Post by StudioMudprints »

Despatche wrote:A lot of stuff
I pretty much agree with every one of your statements (outside of getting mad over it). Andro 2 looks excellent, and I'm looking forward to diving into Andro 1 on both NGCD and Dreamcast for comparison.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

heli wrote:I think in september i readed somewhere.
Play-Asia says September, but it may very well be a placeholder date.
heli

Post by heli »

Marc

Post by Marc »

Despatche wrote:So what the fuck is Andro Dunos? A hypercharged horizontal with a ridiculous amount of weapons and a shocking amount of rank. It possesses an energy that few early '90s games match without seriously fucking something up somewhere. It is, without a doubt, one of the better pre-Donpachi titles, and something I'd easily rate over all sorts of so-called "classics". It's better than Raiden, but most things are. It's better than those certain silly Toaplan games like Dogyuun, Batsugun, etc. It's very obviously better than player-hating shit like Dragon Spirit and Dragon Saber. I'm also pretty sure that even people who claim to hate it will at least give it a more serious attempt than something like Varth with its hour-long runs.
It's the very definition of average. It's plays well enough, doesn't look terrible, has some interesting stage layouts, but has been done better. I remember the Neo first launching, and the initial reaction to most of its games was 'looks nice, doesn't play any better than similar SNES / MD titles', and that pretty much sums this up.

And Batsugun? Dude, really?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Marc wrote: It's the very definition of average. It's plays well enough, doesn't look terrible, has some interesting stage layouts, but has been done better. I remember the Neo first launching, and the initial reaction to most of its games was 'looks nice, doesn't play any better than similar SNES / MD titles', and that pretty much sums this up.
Andro dunos was actually dismissed as a proper NG game due to its graphics, way less vibrant and copious than what the people were expecting from a NG title.

And the few who actually played it found out that it was better designed and more fun than most SNES/MD shooters.