Andro Dunos 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Samuray

Andro Dunos 2

Post by Samuray »

Yes. It's coming.

How awesome is that??? :lol:

I remember reading about the first one in magazines back then and being deterred by its low scores as well as screenshots that wouldn't hold a candle to "Last Resort" or "Ghost Pilots". But a few years ago I finally found a cheap copy for Neo Geo AES and I really really like the game! Definitely need to play it in coop someday.

Anyway. Its probably not-long-awaited sequel is coming nevertheless, on Nintendo Switch, and apparently in physical form. Don't know about you guys but I'm happy about it!

https://twitter.com/Ry_Bones/status/1279452667417329665
Bawa

Re: Andro Dunos 2

Post by Bawa »

Never played the original. Might give it a try!
In your opinion what makes the original stand out?
I suck at these games but I do enjoy them.
Platforms: PC / NSwitch
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

The original game feels more like a megadrive game than an arcade shooter. Its solid basic fun.
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

Wait, this is real?

How in the... fuck?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

This is April Fool's Day material. I have the original game on MVS and it's a decent enough title, but a sequel at this point in time? Do they think it has some name recognition?
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Bawa wrote:In your opinion what makes the original stand out?
I feel like this game took inspiration from Hellfire's weapon swapping, with an added feature of consuming a powerup to use a super shot. It's also got some nice multi directional scrolling. My favorite part is stage 2 midboss: getting chased backwards and eventually cornered, and then flying through the wreckage when you win. :twisted:
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I actually played this game multiple times in various arcades with the multi-game Neo Geo cart, and the original, the blue pickups reigned supreme in damage power while the red and yellow are meager subshots, and the green provided some modest protection. You really got to tap your fingers hard like pew-pew-pew-pew!!!

I hope the sequel refines some of the weapon switching stuff.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

A Euro-shmup sequel to a Japanese developed shooter from 28 years ago that was never that popular. I'll play it anyway. I presume no input from any of the original Visco staff for this one.
heli

Post by heli »

Good news, i like this game.
MrJBRPG wrote:I hope the sequel refines some of the weapon switching stuff.
Yes the weapons are to complicated with not enough push-buttons, now they can make for each button 1 weapon.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Really? A sequel to the most thoroughly mediocre shmup on the Neo Geo... What's next, Captain Tomaday 2?

NCI currently holds the Visco distribution licence, right? So are they just farming out stuff at this point? Looks like QUByte Interactive did the Vasara Collection.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Kiken wrote:NCI
Oof. There's a name to make a dick soft and floppy like cheese. :|
FRO

Post by FRO »

Such an interesting time for the genre. Who would have thought Andro Dunos would ever generate enough interest to get a sequel? I'll be curious to see what it looks like, and the direction the gameplay takes, as compared to the original.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Kiken wrote:Looks like QUByte Interactive did the Vasara Collection.
Did they ever patch that one so you can actually remap the controls? :/ I remember there were complaints about this and that seems like a major oversight not to implement.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

FRO wrote:Such an interesting time for the genre. Who would have thought Andro Dunos would ever generate enough interest to get a sequel?
Answer to the second: no one and no, there isn't any interest

A Eurodev with nostalgia gets a hold of the rights and makes a fangame with the 'official' seal of approval. That's at least what this looks like to me. Which doesn't necessarily mean 'an interesting' time for shmups, ha ha.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Very interesting... This came out of nowhere. I do hope I see it soon.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Kiken wrote:Looks like QUByte Interactive did the Vasara Collection.
Did they ever patch that one so you can actually remap the controls? :/ I remember there were complaints about this and that seems like a major oversight not to implement.
I just checked the Switch version and it still does not feature button remapping... Shikhondo is annoyingly the same.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

What an utterly stupid and unfortunate oversight not to include something so basic.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Admittedly I never spent more time with the first one than 30 minutes at the most, so maybe it has hidden depths, but to me it's always felt and played like a mediocre Amiga shooter (at least without the obligatory 90s inertia). Maybe we'll at least get some decent pixel graphics this time...
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Update + gameplay trailer
https://nintendoeverything.com/side-scr ... to-switch/

I still can't believe this is really happening
Live to fly, fly to live, it's all very orthodox
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Looks inspired more by Infinos Gaiden than the original game, heh. Surprisingly promising stuff!
QuakedoomNukem

Post by QuakedoomNukem »

Klatrymadon wrote:Looks inspired more by Infinos Gaiden than the original game, heh. Surprisingly promising stuff!
I get a slight feeling, that Picorinne Soft might actually be behind this game, because the art definitely looks similar to Infinos Gaiden, I can agree with that.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah I thought the same, although I think it's by PixelHeart, who apparently develop as well as publish games?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

It already looks better than the original. I hope this game comes out soon.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I wonder if the Infinos Gaiden dev (or sprite artist if they're different) actually worked on this because the similarities are indeed pretty strong. The visual style is basically the same, and some enemy designs seem to have been very heavily inspired by that game. For example, the background structure at 00:45 looks like a remix of the first boss.

Either way, Infinos Gaiden is a great game to take inspiration from so it's all for the better.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

M.Knight wrote:I wonder if the Infinos Gaiden dev (or sprite artist if they're different) actually worked on this because the similarities are indeed pretty strong. The visual style is basically the same, and some enemy designs seem to have been very heavily inspired by that game. For example, the background structure at 00:45 looks like a remix of the first boss.

Either way, Infinos Gaiden is a great game to take inspiration from so it's all for the better.
I actually had the same thoughts. It reminded me of Infinos Gaiden immediately. I have never played Andro Dunos before, so I wasn't interested all that much in this sequel, but this actually has my interest piqued now.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Yeah I haven't played the original Andro Dunos either, so I didn't really care about 2 before seeing the video footage.
But for some reason, said video trailer in the news article has been removed due to a copyright claim by PixelHeart themselves. Is this normal?
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Here is the trailer by Pixel Harts themselves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJOXaG_4_cM
KAI

Post by KAI »

IIRC, the picorinne dev used a lot of free assets from stg builder.
Pixelheart released Battle Crust for DC, so maybe they hired him to make this game, who knows.
If that's the case, PC port pls, and I hope the final game doesn't have that shitty synthwave music, it's cringe.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

MrJBRPG wrote:Here is the trailer by Pixel Harts themselves:
"Work in progress...2021" Give me a fucking break...
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

xxx1993 wrote:
MrJBRPG wrote:Here is the trailer by Pixel Harts themselves:
"Work in progress...2021" Give me a fucking break...
Cry some more. It gives me more power. :lol:
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?