Andro Dunos 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Andro Dunos 2

Post by BrianC »

Steven wrote:Even if you set the Switch resolution to 720?
Yes, still looks off compared to PC.
Stevas

Post by Stevas »

Dang, I was really aiming to impress too!
No, wait, the other thing...
Great comprehension.

12 quid is nothing, and I just go ahead and buy shmups to support my favourite genre.

I even have some I bought and never played!
Imagine that!
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

It would suck to have this game’s console ports be ruined by a lack of display options.
Stevas

Post by Stevas »

No Aphex: you're meant to enjoy it no matter how arse it looks, as it's playable - do keep up.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Stevas wrote:Dang, I was really aiming to impress too!
No, wait, the other thing...
Great comprehension.

12 quid is nothing, and I just go ahead and buy shmups to support my favourite genre.

I even have some I bought and never played!
Imagine that!
It might not be a good idea to reward objectively bad games with financial support.
You’re only incentivizing poor quality products that dilute the genre and potentially distract from the amazing games when they do get released.

There’s no STG deity keeping track of your good will and generosity,
Just a free market with parasites eager to milk nostalgic weirdos with extra cash…
Steven

Post by Steven »

BrianC wrote:
How the hell did they mess that up? Kind of glad I didn't get the Switch version now...

Picorinne Soft didn't do the console ports, but it seems that they've already contacted whoever did to get some fixes made on Switch, like the removal of the permanent wallpaper, so maybe go ask Picorinne Soft about this on Steam and see what happens. I already asked them about scaling options on PC for fullscreen, and apparently there are limitations due to STG Maker that make it impossible or something, but maybe on console it's possible.
Stevas

Post by Stevas »

Yeah, but would it impress you guys tho?
Because that's all I care about now.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I will never understand how you humans can play shit looking like this.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Steven wrote:
BrianC wrote:
How the hell did they mess that up? Kind of glad I didn't get the Switch version now...

Picorinne Soft didn't do the console ports, but it seems that they've already contacted whoever did to get some fixes made on Switch, like the removal of the permanent wallpaper, so maybe go ask Picorinne Soft about this on Steam and see what happens. I already asked them about scaling options on PC for fullscreen, and apparently there are limitations due to STG Maker that make it impossible or something, but maybe on console it's possible.
Glad you're reaching out to them. The game looks fine in Switch handheld, so I haven't seen the scaling issues. But the lack of display options is annoying. And the mandatory wallpapers are like a critically stupid fug-gup - no idea why they implemented it this way. There's a wallpaper randomly chosen for you when you boot the game, so it's like a crapshoot every time.

My least favorite wallpaper by far is this colorful-haired anime lad who just smirks at you from the right side of your screen - as if to say: "Hey it's me again, bitch - guess you gotta reboot the game, huh?" I hate him.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I'm human and quite silly at that but man, I've got eyes.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Maybe that's what RYO was refering to on twitter

Steven

Post by Steven »

jehu wrote: Glad you're reaching out to them. The game looks fine in Switch handheld, so I haven't seen the scaling issues. But the lack of display options is annoying. And the mandatory wallpapers are like a critically stupid fug-gup - no idea why they implemented it this way. There's a wallpaper randomly chosen for you when you boot the game, so it's like a crapshoot every time.

My least favorite wallpaper by far is this colorful-haired anime lad who just smirks at you from the right side of your screen - as if to say: "Hey it's me again, bitch - guess you gotta reboot the game, huh?" I hate him.
Yeah, the wallpapers are apparently going to get fixed so you can be rid of them. Picorinne Soft did a damn good job on the PC version of this game, so hopefully the console versions can be fixed. I am kind of worried about the Dreamcast version now. If they mess that one up, they'd have to send out a new disc to give us an update. Maybe that's why the Dreamcast version doesn't have a ship date yet. I'd rather they take their time to fully debug the game than to rush it and get a game with messed up sprites or glitches.

BTW does anyone think this game could run on a Neo Geo? I haven't done anything like a color count to see if it surpasses the Neo Geo's color limit or anything, but I don't see anything here that the Neo Geo probably couldn't do. Maybe they'd have to cut some animations and of course the CD-quality music (well, maybe not CD quality, as I just checked and the entire game is 156MB, and I imagine that almost all of that is compressed audio, but you know what I mean. I hope) won't work on the MVS or AES, but other than that, I think it might work.
KAI

Post by KAI »

No, mvs can't do sprite rotation
Steven

Post by Steven »

They can use good animation to do fake-ish rotation, though that will eat ROM.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

I don't like all this sprite rotation as animation. Looks cheaper to me.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Steven wrote: Maybe that's why the Dreamcast version doesn't have a ship date yet. I'd rather they take their time to fully debug the game than to rush it and get a game with messed up sprites or glitches.
And no 240p display. For a game natively at 320x240 that'd be unforgivable, even if they have to relocate the HUD for overscan reasons.

It's not their first PC-to-DC translation of a Picorinne game, though never cared enough to check what they did with those. I wouldn't expect much from Pixel Heart, anyway. They're as cheap and low-profile as you can picture and this AD2 shows - the original PC version seems to be fine and refined because it's Picorinne's own work, the console ports by whichever French guys, without some quite elementary features, apparently.

So I believe a Neo Geo version is totally out of reach for this people. Coding for the NG in 2022 is not like doing it for the DC or the 3DS.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Steven wrote: Maybe that's why the Dreamcast version doesn't have a ship date yet. I'd rather they take their time to fully debug the game than to rush it and get a game with messed up sprites or glitches.
And no 240p display. For a game natively at 320x240 that'd be unforgivable, even if they have to relocate the HUD for overscan reasons.

It's not their first PC-to-DC translation of a Picorinne game, though never cared enough to check what they did with those. I wouldn't expect much from Pixel Heart, anyway. They're as cheap and low-profile as you can picture and this AD2 shows - the original PC version seems to be fine and refined because it's Picorinne's own work, the console ports by whichever French guys, without some quite elementary features, apparently.

So I believe a Neo Geo version is totally out of reach for this people. Coding for the NG in 2022 is not like doing it for the DC or the 3DS.
Yeah, I heard that their Dreamcast Battle Crust kind of sucks... after I bought it. Oh well. It hasn't shipped yet since it's in my order with Dreamcast Andro Dunos and 3DS Andro Dunos II, as I first ordered the Dreamcast version of Andro Dunos II and then later decided to get the rest. I should probably just go buy the real Battle Crust on Steam.

At least their rerelease of Andro Dunos on the AES is pretty decent, and yes, I am one of those fools who bought that ridiculously expensive thing because it's way cheaper than paying 650000 yen for an original AES copy. I got #26 of 300. I actually asked them about cart voltages and stuff and they were actually nice enough to even send me some shots of the PCB (which looks pretty good, actually) without me even asking for them, but I've heard they are kind of shady, and I'm inclined to agree with that given that they seem to have bought the Visco IPs specifically to justify making sequels to games that some people might remember in order to make their games sell better based on a small amount of brand recognition.

Still, Picorinne Soft, so I had no problems with buying Andro Dunos II on PC after trying Infinos Gaiden. As for the Dreamcast versions... well, if they somehow managed to fuck the scaling on Switch even when the console is set to 720, which is kind of terrifying in its own way if it isn't just the weird sprite glitch that everyone including Picorinne is talking about, I am somewhat moderately concerned about the Dreamcast versions of both games. I haven't tried any of their Neo Geo -> Dreamcast emulated monstrosities yet, so I don't know how well they run, but I suppose I'll find out if they ever decide to ship the game.
heli

Post by heli »

Steven wrote:I've heard they are kind of shady, and I'm inclined to agree with that given that they seem to have bought the Visco IPs specifically to justify making sequels to games that some people might remember in order to make their games sell better based on a small amount of brand recognition.
It works because i like the tune of the original so much, catchy music you cant forget.
Steven wrote:I am somewhat moderately concerned about the Dreamcast versions of both games.
Take calculator, ofcourse it is messed up if it wont divide.
It is 2022 you need 3D graphics for today.
4K bla bla, 55 inch 320x240 game LOL
Steven

Post by Steven »

heli wrote:
Steven wrote:I've heard they are kind of shady, and I'm inclined to agree with that given that they seem to have bought the Visco IPs specifically to justify making sequels to games that some people might remember in order to make their games sell better based on a small amount of brand recognition.
It works because i like the tune of the original so much, catchy music you cant forget.
Steven wrote:I am somewhat moderately concerned about the Dreamcast versions of both games.
Take calculator, ofcourse it is messed up if it wont divide.
It is 2022 you need 3D graphics for today.
4K bla bla, 55 inch 320x240 game LOL
Uh... I have no idea what you are talking about. Instead, I will just pretend that I do and say "okay".
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

jehu wrote:
miwa wrote:Alright, alright, Nintendolife gives it a 9 out of 10 and after watching some gameplay I'm sold.

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/sw ... ro-dunos-2
Like to see the praise, but his 'this game has 10 stages, and that's a little too long' thing is mistaken. I just don't think the reviewer made it through the game, and I understand how he got '10.' There are 10 slots in the 'stage select' menu, but there are some bonus materials to unlock that aren't part of the set of arcade stages.
Wait, what have I misunderstood here? I can have it corrected.

I had two days available with the pre-release version and I didn't manage to achieve the 1CC in that time, I think I made it to stage 6 in the limited hours I had to write it up before the embargo lifted. You're correct on the assumption I referenced 10 stages from the practice mode screen. Based on what I'd played of it - and assuming 10 stages existed - it seemed it may be a tad (and only a tad) long. But I think it's honestly superb and that wasn't really a major complaint.

Additionally, being unable to remap the shoulder buttons or change/turn off the wallpaper were probably my biggest problems with it.

EDIT:

Ok I've seen it, I'll see if I can get a fix done for this!
jehu wrote:Unscientific answer, but around 30 minutes. 7 stages at around 4 minutes each. I haven't had time to go through the whole game again, but I played a couple stages and that's how I got the ~4 min levels.

Full disclosure: there are still two blank slots in my 'Stage Select' screen, and I'm not sure what they are yet. There's the 7 from the 'Arcade' - you beat the 7 and hit the 'Credits' screen - and one 'SP' Boss Rush level. There might be a couple hidden levels if you play at higher difficulties, or finish the Boss Rush, or get through it with a 1CC (haven't managed it yet). If someone figures out what all the slots are, let us all know - I'm curious.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

jehu

Post by jehu »

Ah right, Skykid - sorry I'm still not putting 2 and 2 together that you're handling all the Nintendo Life STG reviews. Thanks for this one - generating some positive buzz for the game. Especially agreed with your comments on how it just feels right straight out the gate.

But yeah man, industry guys really gotta get those review copies out to you all earlier. It puts you in a really difficult position if you want to get the review out in a timely manner, and direct the traffic your way while the release buzz is still around.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

jehu wrote:Ah right, Skykid - sorry I'm still not putting 2 and 2 together that you're handling all the Nintendo Life STG reviews. Thanks for this one - generating some positive buzz for the game. Especially agreed with your comments on how it just feels right straight out the gate.

But yeah man, industry guys really gotta get those review copies out to you all earlier. It puts you in a really difficult position if you want to get the review out in a timely manner, and direct the traffic your way while the release buzz is still around.
Well the review went up day the embargo lifted, we can’t create buzz much faster than that. But it also depends on how much time I have to have a crack at the thing. It varies in that respect.

Anyway, the review is now expertly redacted. I’m glad I stopped in here!

XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Great review! Really has me excited to get it when I can!
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

XoPachi wrote:Great review! Really has me excited to get it when I can!
Is this game any good? Only £12 on ps4

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

dmk1198 wrote:
XoPachi wrote:Great review! Really has me excited to get it when I can!
Is this game any good? Only £12 on ps4

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
Buy it like you stole sumthin

Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Stevas wrote:No scanlines or filter means this game looks like absolute arse on a 55", and the 20 seconds it took me to discover that will remain the entirety of it's playtime.
Oh well.
Again.
I will never understand how you humans can play shit looking like this.
Baffled by this. I play it on a 55” Bravia and it looks great. Maybe your set is busted.

bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Seriously. I understand a preference for scanlines, but I have zero problems playing games like this in pure, chunky pixels if necessary.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Steven wrote: Picorinne Soft didn't do the console ports, but it seems that they've already contacted whoever did to get some fixes made on Switch, like the removal of the permanent wallpaper, so maybe go ask Picorinne Soft about this on Steam and see what happens. I already asked them about scaling options on PC for fullscreen, and apparently there are limitations due to STG Maker that make it impossible or something, but maybe on console it's possible.
Picorinne stopped by the shmups Discord today to touch on this.
Seems they are quite disappointed that the people who released the console ports didn't do a better job handling the graphics, and considers it buggy due to this. It's not just the scaling, but also the fixed background images and other changes in how the graphics behave.
They have reached out to them to make a patch to fix it, but apparently haven't been able to get a response - which, given it's not just a misunderstanding in their communications, is pretty frustrating news IMO. When the original developer cares about getting these things fixed, the publisher should at least give them the time of the day. And just releasing the game without even involving them sounds straight up dishonest to me, even though I'm aware it's common procedure for larger titles.

Picorinne urged people to get in touch with PixelHeart directly to bring the subject to light via their Twitter ( https://twitter.com/PixelHeart_eu )
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sumez wrote:
Steven wrote: Picorinne Soft didn't do the console ports, but it seems that they've already contacted whoever did to get some fixes made on Switch, like the removal of the permanent wallpaper, so maybe go ask Picorinne Soft about this on Steam and see what happens. I already asked them about scaling options on PC for fullscreen, and apparently there are limitations due to STG Maker that make it impossible or something, but maybe on console it's possible.
Picorinne stopped by the shmups Discord today to touch on this.
Seems they are quite disappointed that the people who released the console ports didn't do a better job handling the graphics, and considers it buggy due to this. It's not just the scaling, but also the fixed background images and other changes in how the graphics behave.
They have reached out to them to make a patch to fix it, but apparently haven't been able to get a response - which, given it's not just a misunderstanding in their communications, is pretty frustrating news IMO. When the original developer cares about getting these things fixed, the publisher should at least give them the time of the day. And just releasing the game without even involving them sounds straight up dishonest to me, even though I'm aware it's common procedure for larger titles.

Picorinne urged people to get in touch with PixelHeart directly to bring the subject to light via their Twitter ( https://twitter.com/PixelHeart_eu )
This is most disappointing. Hopefully people don't think too poorly of the game based solely on its apparently semi-botched console versions, which Picorinne Soft didn't actually make. The version that they did actually make, the PC version, is quite good and I am glad I bought it there. I hope whoever is in charge of those other versions both fixes the console versions and doesn't ruin the Dreamcast and 3DS versions.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

bigbadboaz wrote:Seriously. I understand a preference for scanlines, but I have zero problems playing games like this in pure, chunky pixels if necessary.
I'm not using scanlines for the PC and there's definitely a difference in how it looks compared to the switch version. I'm certain that the PC version looks amazing on a 55" screen. I honestly wasn't completely sure something was off with the Switch scaling until I played the PC version.
Bassa-Bassa wrote: (images with and without external filter)
I'm human and quite silly at that but man, I've got eyes.
Is this two different versions? "Fintail" is misspelled in the bottom image.